PDA

View Full Version : Freehold Picks, Sat., Jan. 8, 2011

Teach
01-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Live from the home of "Afternoon Delight," Freehold Raceway in Freehold, New Jersey...It's SAL, "Saturday Afternoon Live"...with your host, Walt...a.k.a. "Teach," "The Harness Maven," With guest appearances by: "The Voice," Larry Lederman, The "Orange Crush," Andy Ray Miller; The "Pandy Man," "Gentleman Jim" Pantaleano, "The Flying Frenchman," Daniel Dube, Catello "The Cat-Man" Manzi," Pat "The Harvard Man" Berry; Harry "The Falcon" Landy, Jack Baggitt, Jr; Vinny Ginsburg and a host of others.

Race One: In the Freehold opener, I like #1 Blazing Finale with the up-and-coming Harry "The Falcon" Landy. This well-bred Precious Bunny-Blissfull Hall gelding has, at least to this point, not performed up to his potential. In this tough, highly-contested race for 4K claimers, I'm giving Blazing Finale the nod. Why? 1) he draws the pylons; 2) he has the services of the capable Landy; 3) he's raced against against tougher competition in recent efforts; and 4) he's hit the tote in three of his last four. I believe - with proper handling - this horse can get his picture taken. Underneath: I like #2 Kid Ruckus. The horse should be "on the engine". I think he hits the tote. Yet, I keep having these recurring thoughts that he'll play Kryptonite (no, this ain't about Superman), the horse who was leading at "The Big A" in "A Bronx Tale" (don't we know someone who served as the track announcer in that movie) only to get beaten at the finish. In a classic scene, "Sonny" and "the boyz" are countin' "it" when suddenly, out of the blue, Mush (the Jonah) shows up. He's rootin' for the same horse. Fuhgettaboutit! "Sonny" starts rippin up his tickets well before the race has ended. As my friend "Bobby the Horse" would say: "Let It Happen!" Another horse I like is the #4 Bubba McGee. The horse has won two of his last three. In his current sharp form, I give him a solid chance to be right there at the wire. A lot will depends on the upfront pace. If the fractions are fast, it improves his chances; much could then be said that enhances. Others in the mix are: #6 Lil Be Dazzeld, with Jim Pantaleano in the bike, has a good "early turn of foot". If he leaves, he becomes "a player." The horse has faced better. My only caveat: He's been off for about three weeks. Is he in need of a tightener? Finally, #3 Seeking The Gold N. I like most horses that Jack Baggitt, Jr. drives. In my opinion, Baggitt drives "smart". He should never be overlooked. Yet, the horse hasn't won in a month of Sundays; he was 0-for-2010. However, this 12-year-old gelding has lifetime earnings of over 200K. Not too shabby. He fits.

Teach
01-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Race Two: I like #1 Cam's Oracle. First, he has the rail; second, he has the services of Andy Ray Miller. My only concern is that he seems to have fallen off from his earlier good form while racing at Harrah's Chester. It appears that after his November 28th race (he finished second by a head), he's tailed off in his last two efforts. Maybe, the crisp, refreshing Freehold air will re-invigorate this horse to the point that he gets his picture taken. At his best, he can easily defeat this field; at his worst, he'll finish up the track and off the tote. I'm picking him on what I see as "the glass-of-water-as-half-full" approach. Underneath: I like #2 Prince Polygon with Vinny Ginsburg. The horse has won and finished third in his last two. He certainly fits. This is a nicely bred horse that has faced tougher competition at both Chester and Yonkers. #6 Strange Hanover has also faced tougher competition: at The Meadows, The Meadowlands and Chester. He certainly can be a factor here. By the way, good to see "JG," Jeff Gregory, back in the bike at Freehold. In my opinion, Gregory is one of the best handlers of trotters in North America. #3 Up Front Jim with "Gentleman Jim" Pantaleano could do nothing last time from the 8-hole (prior to that he finished second and first in this company). He now draws the #3-hole. He's certainly a factor in your gimmicks. Finally, #5 Beliefs In Town does fit in this competition. I believe his chances of winning are remote, but to complete a tri or a super...

Teach
01-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Race Three: My choice is: #3 Fox Valley Sosa. The horse has been razor-sharp. He's won two in a row and five of his last seven. In his current outstanding form it's hard to go against him. In addition, he has the services of Hall-of-Fame driver Cat Manzi. Underneath looms the major danger: #1, RC Raider with Jim Pantaleano. The horse finally draws inside after two outside starting posts. I believe it'll be a tactical race between "Cat" and "The Pandy Man." May the better driver win! Not to be overlooked are the the orange-white-and black silks of "The Orange Crush," Andy Miller. Miller's no "third wheel" here. Miller drives #2 Double Your Moves. The horse may well have needed his last after a three-week layoff. If last week's race served as a tightener, this horse may well be coming up the kind of form that makes him a factor here. #4 Jove's Success with Phil Fluet is the kind of horse who has a chance of completing a tri or super. If any mistakes are made by the top three picks, this horse could certainly be there to pick up the pieces. Finally, #5 PocketfullOfPower might just finish off a super.

Teach
01-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Race Four: There have been three #1s in a row. Can we make it four? I'm indeed going back "inside" with my top pick: #1 Dreams Are Real. I must state at the outset that this is a lukewarm nod based on the fact that the driver (he also trains) is a provisional one. Jonathan Nikodemski is not a household name. Yet, the horse he drives does have a chance. I like this gelding's breeding (Cole Muffler & Artsplace) and also the fact that he's been lightly raced, at least for a six-year-old (only seven starts in 2010). If the track retains any kind of moisture, that would give this horse an added boost. Underneath: #3 Very Cool N with Stacy "Tough As Nails" Chiodo has a shot of being part of the equation. The horse hasn't shown much lately; yet he certainly fits, especially if he can re-kindle the kind of form he showed at Colonial. The horse appears to be "a plodder" who very well might help add value to your tri or super. Another horse with a chance of hitting the tote is the #2 Brandon's Colt with provisional driver, Gary Papa. The horse was well positioned in last week's race only to be sidetracked by interference. If the horse can get a clean trip, he might just finish off a tri or super. #7 High View N is "the sleeper" here (keep an eye on the board). Don't let the starting post fool you...this horse - on his best - has a chance of being part of this. Last time around he drew the 8-hole but ended up finishing third at 39-1. If Marshall leaves, the horse becomes "a player" that can add value to your gimmicks. Finally, #4 S J Jasper with Jack Baggitt, Jr. does have a chance to pick up the pieces in one of your exotics.

Teach
01-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Race Five: #2 Cole Combustion is a win-waiting-to-happen horse. I've tried him the last three times, ever since the driver switch to Andy Miller. Will the fourth time be a charm? There should be no excuses: (1) inside post; (2) Andy Miller; (3) competitive times. It should add up to a trip to the winner's circle. Underneath: #4 Keep On Flyin won in this company on Dec. 18th (two starts back). The horse had the four-hole then; he has it now. I see him as a major challenger. Cat Manzi in the sulky helps. #3 Justin Art with Harry Landy is another possible tote-board-hitter. The horse could do nothing from the eight-hole last time. Now, he draws back inside to post-position three. Landy's very capable. This horse should not be ignored. #6 Bolder with Jim Pantaleano has had two straight outside starting positions; the horse now moves inside a notch to post position six. That may help this horse's chances to add value to your exotics. Finally, #1 Joel Blue Chip hasn't shown much since shipping in from "Gary Piontkowkski's corner," Routes #1 and #495, a.k.a. Plainridge Racecourse. On his best, with the benefit of a pylon starting post, this horse could pick up the pieces in your gimmicks.

Teach
01-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Race Six: I'm going for value here with the Jim Meittinis-driven #4 Youth Uprising. This horse won his last convincingly at Chester. The horse looks to be in excellent form (a little moisture on the track wouldn't hurt). By the way, the horse's win just before Christmas was his yearly mark. If he can show that same kind of form, he should prevail. Underneath: I like #5 Sun Moon Lake (Not to be confused with Princess Summer-Fall-Winter-Spring..."Hey kids...What time Is It?" If you remember that you're a contemporary). Andy Ray is one of the best and this horse has the potential; he won his last race, albeit against softer. Yet, in his current good form... Another horse I'm gliming is the #3 J M Rambo (this horse moves up on a wet surface). This horse has hit the board in his last two against somewhat weaker company. Yet, with the most capable Jack Baggitt, Jr in the bike this horse figures to be part of any of your gimmicks. Others in the mix are: #1 WhoLeftTheGateOpen. I don't believe the horse deserves to be a 3-1 ML pick; yet to hit the board... Sure, that's a possibility. The rail will help. The horse has been either first or second (mostly second) in five of his last ten races. Finally, #2 Break Dance with the Mainer, Ted Wing, has a chance of completing your gimmicks. Last summer/fall this horse was turning in some sterling times in three-year-old competition. He appears to have tailed off since. It's worth watching the board with him to see if he's catching action. This horse is hard to gauge. If he can recapture his earlier form he'll be a factor in this race.

Teach
01-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Race Seven: I'm again looking for some value. I'm going with #5 Superbad Hanover with "The Orange Crush," Andy Ray Miller. This horse qualified in his last after a one-month layoff. If he can recapture his earlier form under the tutelage of the most capable Miller, this horse can be a factor. I'm hunching that this horse is coming up to a big effort (I'm most impressed with his earlier Harrington efforts). Anything resembling those... Underneath: #4 Porthill Gatsby looks like the major danger. This horse also recently qualified at the Meadowlands. I believe he can show the kind of speed he demonstrated last year at Freehold (1:54.4) as a four-year-old. #2 Move On with Billy Dobson also recently qualified at the Big M. He certainly has faced better at Yonkers; his times have been very good. If this horse is reasonably ready, he's a contender in this field. #1 Western Wally has also faced stiffer competition at "The Ol' Hilltop" Course. The horse had a tough seven-hole trip last time; he now draws the rail. Finally, #7 Thunderfist with Jeff Gregory has a chance of finishing off trifectas or supers. This horse has tons of speed as evidenced by his 1.51.4 mark at Chester last year. The horse will have to overcome the seven-hole, but if he leaves, he becomes a factor (a little wetness wouldn't hurt).

Teach
01-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Race Eight: I'm leaning toward #2 Twin B Impact with "The Harvard Man," Pat Berry. This horse won his last at Yonkers. He has lifetime earnings of nearly 200K. The horse looks like he'll be within good striking distance as they turn into the lane. Underneath: #1 Boogeyman's got the rail and the services of Jack Baggitt, Jr. (he wn the last race). The horse has finished second in his last after a two-week layoff. This horse should be on or near "the engine". Another horse to consider is the #3 Durango Kid N with "The Pandy Man," "Gentleman Jim" Pantaleabno. Forget the horse's last, he counldn't overcome the 8-hole (Baci d'Morte) and got "Lost In Yonkers". The horse now draws a much better post and, with Pantaleano in the sulky, his chances of hitting the tote improve. #5 General MCardle won an easy qualifier in his last. Prior to that he was facing some stiff competition at Yonkers. The horse did win nearly a quarter of his races last year. He can be part of your gimmicks. Finally, #8 CR Fixed Asset is a well-bred Cam Fella-Jate Lobell gelded horse that has solid credentials. The big question: Will Jeff Gregory leave with this horse? If he does and tucks, he immediately becomes a player.

Teach
01-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Race Nine: As we move toward the tail end of the Freehold card, it looks like the "inside" is the place top be. The weather is very much a factor. I'm leaning toward #2 Panning For Gold with Jim Pantaleano. Yes, this is a long-shot pick. That last race leads me to believe that anyone of the first four or five horses can win; so why not #2. The horse did win his last. I believe - on his best - the horse is capable of winning here. Underneath: #3 Bearer's Surprize with Pat Berry looks like a major danger. He's the logical, rational choice. I believe he's an important consideration in your gimmick plays. The horse has, over the last several weeks, drawn a series of difficult starting posts. Now, he moves inside to the three-slot. The horse has the speed and most certainly fits in this company. Now, it's up to Pat Berry to get the job done. Another horse (I know...he's not one of the first five) to consider is #6 Jazzy Hanover. He could add value to your exotics. This Artsplace-bred horse won his last, albeit in pedestrian time. Yet, on his best, he could surprise and add value to your ticket. #5 Golds Star Smokin sees a big driver change to "The Red Man's" son, Eric Abbatiello (welcome back!). This horse should benefit from Eric's services and might just enhance your exotic. Finally, #1 AllAmerican Champ made an uncharateristic break last time out. The horse now draws the pylons...that fact alone makes this horse most playable under these conditions. It wouldn't surprise me if he caught some action. He merits consideration as a "swing" horse in your gimmicks.

Teach
01-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Race Ten: "On The Avenue..." #3 Western Avenue gets my nod in this tightly-matched race. The horse has hit the board in six of his last ten efforts. Yet, candidly, none of those have been wins; thus, the caution. If Jim Pantaleano can give this horse the right trip, he stands as good a chance as any of getting his picture taken, Underneath: #3 Lifes Tricks with Andy Miller had a recent inconsequential qualifier at The Big M. Yet, the horse fits nicely in this field. Add to that the fact that Andy Miller's in the bike; well, the horse - on his best - should be a major factor in this race. #5 Liberty Call has hit the tote in three of his last four tries. I believe this horse has a chance of hitting the tote in this difficult-to-handicap race. #1 Imposter A draws the rail. Driver Matt Ramono is certainly capable of getting this horse involved in the outcome. The pylon starting-post will help. Don't be surprised if this horse is right there at the wire. Finally, #2 Prince Javelin hasn't shown much lately; yet, to complete a super, well that's certain;y a possibility.