PDA

View Full Version : Life at Ten - BC investigation and Eclipse awards

FenceBored
01-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Two items fell over my transom this morning related to the now 2 month old investigation into Life at Ten's performance at the Breeders' Cup. First was a blog post by Jennie Rees at the Courier-Journal on the ongoing process itself:

More than two months after the fact, the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission is continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding Life At Ten in the Breeders’ Cup Ladies’ Classic. A new twist is that the commission asked the Office of Inspector General in the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet for assistance for part of the inquiry, confirmed KHRC executive director Lisa Underwood.
-- http://blogs.courier-journal.com/racing/2011/01/07/inspector-generals-office-brought-into-life-at-ten-inquiry/

The second (via Equidaily (http://www.equidaily.com)) is an observation by Nick Kling in his column correlating the Eclipse finalists and the LaT situation:

Despite some observers, your narrator among them, believing Velazquez and trainer Todd Pletcher should be subject to sanctions for their part in the debacle, both were named Eclipse finalists.
The failure to acknowledge Pletcher and Velazquez' part in an event clearly definable as anti-fan indicates a significant percentage of voters are out of touch with the everyday horseplayer.
-- http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2011/01/07/sports/horseracing/doc4d26b14eb5bf1284118876.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Takeaway from these two in combination is that we're seeing the same ol' slow roll whitewash with no accountability from anybody, and that only a few in the industry press really care.

Saratoga_Mike
01-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Two items fell over my transom this morning related to the now 2 month old investigation into Life at Ten's performance at the Breeders' Cup. First was a blog post by Jennie Rees at the Courier-Journal on the ongoing process itself:

More than two months after the fact, the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission is continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding Life At Ten in the Breeders’ Cup Ladies’ Classic. A new twist is that the commission asked the Office of Inspector General in the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet for assistance for part of the inquiry, confirmed KHRC executive director Lisa Underwood.
-- http://blogs.courier-journal.com/racing/2011/01/07/inspector-generals-office-brought-into-life-at-ten-inquiry/

The second (via Equidaily (http://www.equidaily.com)) is an observation by Nick Kling in his column correlating the Eclipse finalists and the LaT situation:

Despite some observers, your narrator among them, believing Velazquez and trainer Todd Pletcher should be subject to sanctions for their part in the debacle, both were named Eclipse finalists.
The failure to acknowledge Pletcher and Velazquez' part in an event clearly definable as anti-fan indicates a significant percentage of voters are out of touch with the everyday horseplayer.
-- http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2011/01/07/sports/horseracing/doc4d26b14eb5bf1284118876.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Takeaway from these two in combination is that we're seeing the same ol' slow roll whitewash with no accountability from anybody, and that only a few in the industry press really care.

Perhaps the inspector general has subpoena power?

FenceBored
01-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Perhaps the inspector general has subpoena power?

It's the Inspector General in the Transportation Cabinet (http://transportation.ky.gov/oig/)(Department for those who don't speak Kentuckian). If they really wanted suponea power wouldn't they have gone to the AG's Office? Why the Transportation Cabinet? :confused:

joanied
01-08-2011, 12:01 PM
I think it's taking so long because they hope it all just goes away...Pletcher and John V should already have had some sort of penalty given to each of them...the ones investigating this are waiting for the Eclipse awards to be over before they state anything against TP & JV...IMO.

toussaud
01-08-2011, 12:37 PM
this is what i predict, they are going to pull a todd pletcher special, meaning, hold off, hold off, wait until a big week of racing (the derby week) and on a big news day, throw in a headline that nothing was found wrong, all is fine, keep betting.

thaskalos
01-08-2011, 12:50 PM
They are just waiting for the next major controversy to occur...and then, the Life At Ten incident will be swept "under the rug".

The industry knows that we horseplayers have trouble keeping two controversies on our minds at the same time.

joanied
01-08-2011, 12:51 PM
this is what i predict, they are going to pull a todd pletcher special, meaning, hold off, hold off, wait until a big week of racing (the derby week) and on a big news day, throw in a headline that nothing was found wrong, all is fine, keep betting.

That too...wait until after the Eclipse awards are given out, and Toddyboy wins another one, then wait more...like you said, a big race week to announce their 'findings'...what a load of BS this investigation is...
another thing that bothers me is that we have not heard one word from the Pletcher camp about either Life At Ten or Devil May Care...what's going on with that?

joanied
01-08-2011, 12:56 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/life-at-ten-fun-facts-day-four/

I've been too busy of late to check the Paulick Report every day...so looks like I missed the first three days of his "Fun Facts about Life At Ten"...
Paulick isn't gonna let this go...which is very good:ThmbUp:

Saratoga_Mike
01-08-2011, 01:13 PM
It's the Inspector General in the Transportation Cabinet (http://transportation.ky.gov/oig/)(Department for those who don't speak Kentuckian). If they really wanted suponea power wouldn't they have gone to the AG's Office? Why the Transportation Cabinet? :confused:

I assume racing is regulated under the auspices of the Transportation Dept in KY.

Tom
01-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Pletcher should be suspended until the incident is investigate.
Rider, too, and owner.

FenceBored
01-08-2011, 01:27 PM
I assume racing is regulated under the auspices of the Transportation Dept in KY.

They don't appear to be part of any Department.
The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission (KHRC) is an independent agency of state government charged with the responsibility of regulating the conduct of horse racing and pari-mutuel wagering on horse racing and related activities within the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
-- http://www.khrc.ky.gov/ (http://www.khrc.ky.gov/)

Saratoga_Mike
01-08-2011, 01:29 PM
It doesn't look like racing is regulated in anyway by the Transportation Dept, which actually makes sense--so my speculation was wrong. According to another blog I just read, the KY Horse Racing Commission (KHRC) brought in the Transportation IG b/c some members of the KHRC might have conflicts of interest. The KHRC is still leading the process, but the Transporation IG is involved to make sure things are done correctly.

toussaud
01-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Rider, too, and owner.
I agree all except the owner. Owner was just as peeved as everyone else. nothing the owner could have done in that situation. There is however something the jock and trainer could have done

Keep in mind, life at ten is worth some change now, multiple grade 1 winning mare, and he's running her when she clearly isn't her best.. what if something seriously happened. I'd be peeved to.

The irony to me being that last year, quality road, probably honestly should not have been scratched. was perfectly healthy, just crazy and the gate crew did no favors. Now, LAT should have been scratched and wasn't.

BluegrassProf
01-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Make considerable note, the serious harm was to the bettors, not LaT.

The mare is just fine. The integrity of the game is not. Gotta keep that focus.

Stillriledup
01-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Make considerable note, the serious harm was to the bettors, not LaT.

The mare is just fine. The integrity of the game is not. Gotta keep that focus.

Exactly. This is a bogus investigation because the end result is not going to entail removing LAT from wagering and giving the people their money back.

If a company on the stock exchange was convicted in US courts of fraud, they might be liable to reimburse, out of their own pockets, the money they stole from the people who were defrauded. Not so in racing, there is no 'authority' that looks over the racing industry. Racing can rob its customers with nary a look from the FBI.

Remember, real life laws don't apply to the racing industry, everything is handled in house, with wrist slaps.

NTamm1215
01-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Rider, too, and owner.

The owner? You mean the woman who put up the money to supplement the horse should be suspended? That's ridiculous.

Stillriledup
01-08-2011, 02:51 PM
I agree all except the owner. Owner was just as peeved as everyone else. nothing the owner could have done in that situation. There is however something the jock and trainer could have done

Keep in mind, life at ten is worth some change now, multiple grade 1 winning mare, and he's running her when she clearly isn't her best.. what if something seriously happened. I'd be peeved to.

The irony to me being that last year, quality road, probably honestly should not have been scratched. was perfectly healthy, just crazy and the gate crew did no favors. Now, LAT should have been scratched and wasn't.

But, if the owner gets suspended or fined, they might consider firing their trainer who caused them to be suspended or fined. This will, in turn, make trainers more vigilant if they know their owner will get punished.

Tom
01-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Look, someone cheated here - the owner pays them.
Screw the owners. They need to held responsible for their employees.

Bullet Plane
01-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Well, in this case, the owners already lost quite a bit of money. If the owners hadn't complained, there wouldn't be an investigation at all. Let's face it - racing could care less about the bettor who funds the game.

joanied
01-08-2011, 04:48 PM
I don't think this owner should be held responsible...even if they'd asked Pletcher in the paddock why their filly wasn't acting right, as far as I know, it was up to Toddyboy to scratch her, which, IMO he should have done while they were still in the paddock...but, OK, let's give him a break, whereas it was a good idea to see if she warmed up on track to his satisfaction...the instant he saw that she still wasn't right, and it was obvious to everyone she wasn't right, he should have called in the scratch.
I think total blame for this is on the shoulders of Toddyboy...part of the blame goes to John V also, he should have insisted he get off her and a vet check her out, but again, it's Toddyboy's call and he didn't make it.

As for folks with lost wager monies...give 'em hell:ThmbUp:

Spiderman
01-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Look, someone cheated here - the owner pays them.
Screw the owners. They need to held responsible for their employees.

The owner had nothing to do with incident. Read her post, two months ago. She wants to get to the facts.

You touched on something in your comment. I've always thought that owners should be suspended when their trainers are suspended. Nail both of them

Stillriledup
01-08-2011, 05:04 PM
I don't think this owner should be held responsible...even if they'd asked Pletcher in the paddock why their filly wasn't acting right, as far as I know, it was up to Toddyboy to scratch her, which, IMO he should have done while they were still in the paddock...but, OK, let's give him a break, whereas it was a good idea to see if she warmed up on track to his satisfaction...the instant he saw that she still wasn't right, and it was obvious to everyone she wasn't right, he should have called in the scratch.
I think total blame for this is on the shoulders of Toddyboy...part of the blame goes to John V also, he should have insisted he get off her and a vet check her out, but again, it's Toddyboy's call and he didn't make it.

As for folks with lost wager monies...give 'em hell:ThmbUp:

Right, but put yourself in the dapper todd's shoes, he's going to scratch a horse who's a short priced contender in a million dollar (or more) race?

Also, where was the track vet to say "this horse isnt fit to race, scratch"

Where was the track vet?

Also, i say give the jock 1 year suspension for lack of effort.

joanied
01-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Right, but put yourself in the dapper todd's shoes, he's going to scratch a horse who's a short priced contender in a million dollar (or more) race?

Also, where was the track vet to say "this horse isnt fit to race, scratch"

Where was the track vet?

Also, i say give the jock 1 year suspension for lack of effort.

#1- damn right he's gonna scratch a horse in a million dollar race...short priced or not...come on, SRU...it was plain as can be, in the paddock, the filly wasn't right...wouldn't it have been better for all concerned, and this includes the folks that placed their bets, for her to be scratched in the paddock...any vet there would have signed off on that...you announce that the filly was in distress (probably a tieup) before they leave the paddock and scratch her...then the betting public would have gotten their money back because she would not have run...

#2- good question...where was the freakin' vet...where were any of the track vets...seems to me, they were not doing their job!

#3- this one is kinda touchy...his lack of effort was because he didn't want that filly to go down on track...JV had no clue what was wrong with her, just that something was wrong...would you have tried to get her to run after the gate sprung...I doubt it...give him a suspension or fine for not getting off her behind the gate, but not because of his lack of effort...the Good Lord himself could not have gotten her to run on that day...she couldn't run!!

toussaud
01-08-2011, 07:38 PM
If the horse was drugged I would agree. I just can't get behind doing anything to the owner in this particular situation. I know bettors got screwed, I am boycotting the entire state of kentucky for crying out loud, but not all owners are bad simply becuase they are owners and pay bills and through telepathy should know all that is going on at all times, even when there are 70k people at Churchill 10 minutes to post, which seems to be the sentiment by some in this thread.

NTamm1215
01-08-2011, 08:36 PM
If the horse was drugged I would agree. I just can't get behind doing anything to the owner in this particular situation. I know bettors got screwed, I am boycotting the entire state of kentucky for crying out loud, but not all owners are bad simply becuase they are owners and pay bills and through telepathy should know all that is going on at all times, even when there are 70k people at Churchill 10 minutes to post, which seems to be the sentiment by some in this thread.

Yes, it's completely ridiculous to punish the owner. Anyone who is seriously advocating doing that is out of their mind.

highnote
01-08-2011, 08:45 PM
They blamed it on race day anti-bleeding medication.

Here's some advice -- ban raceday medication.

If a horse can't run because its sore or it bleeds then it shouldn't be running in the first place.

Relwob Owner
01-08-2011, 08:47 PM
But, if the owner gets suspended or fined, they might consider firing their trainer who caused them to be suspended or fined. This will, in turn, make trainers more vigilant if they know their owner will get punished.

I dont think that fits here but I do think what you are talking about has some merit in terms of including owners in some fashion in other cases of violations

Tom
01-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Has the owner fired Pletcher?
If not, I see no real concern here to get answers.

This is a highly suspect outfit who cheated people out a ton of money on the biggest day of the game - no reason for any of the participants to be participating in racing anywhere until this is put to bed.

Any track that allows these scoundrels on the grounds has no integrity.

Relwob Owner
01-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Has the owner fired Pletcher?
If not, I see no real concern here to get answers.

Hey Tom,

I totally disagree with you about punishing the owner but also totally agree with you regarding your question above.....also, many of your post seem to show a general dislike for horse owners. Do you not like horse owners in general or is it just the higher level ones? I can tell you that if my trainer and jock did what happened, they would get canned. Pure fantasy, though, as the odds of me owning a horse like LAT are quite slim.

NTamm1215
01-08-2011, 09:38 PM
What did Todd Pletcher and/or John Velazquez have to gain by Life at Ten running in the race, especially if they didn't think everything was OK? Pletcher is still going to be paid by the owner and JV is not one mount fee away from a soup kitchen for crying out loud. If you want to castigate them that's fine, they dropped the ball in making it clear that they didn't think the horse was right. But, to go so far as to say the owner of the horse should be punished or that the two of them should be banned from other racetracks is a complete over-reaction and absolute lunacy.

Tom
01-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Hey Tom,

I totally disagree with you about punishing the owner but also totally agree with you regarding your question above.....also, many of your post seem to show a general dislike for horse owners. Do you not like horse owners in general or is it just the higher level ones? I can tell you that if my trainer and jock did what happened, they would get canned. Pure fantasy, though, as the odds of me owning a horse like LAT are quite slim.

I no longer give a hoot about anyone but the bettors. The tracks, the owners, trainers, jockeys - never seem to give a hoot about the players, so I say screw them all. Nothing personal, but when you go out to dinner, do you consider the dishwashers and bartenders as your equal as a customer? I don't care about anything but my steak.

I consider myself a customer of racing and everyone else is the help. The only thing that matters is the customer. LAT is a perfect example - racing has no integrity. Now that you got me thinking about it, maybe that is why so many people I thought were attracted to the game by Zenyatta are nowhere to be found today - they probably were there to see what a mud hole racing really is in person.

Tom
01-08-2011, 10:00 PM
But, to go so far as to say the owner of the horse should be punished or that the two of them should be banned from other racetracks is a complete over-reaction and absolute lunacy.

There was no difference here than a jock who stiffs a horse in a claimer - they knowing let allowed a horse to race that was obviously not fit to run. That is cheating. Both had the chance to do something, neither one did.
One talked on national TV about it.

Relwob Owner
01-08-2011, 10:04 PM
I no longer give a hoot about anyone but the bettors. The tracks, the owners, trainers, jockeys - never seem to give a hoot about the players, so I say screw them all. Nothing personal, but when you go out to dinner, do you consider the dishwashers and bartenders as your equal as a customer? I don't care about anything but my steak.

I consider myself a customer of racing and everyone else is the help. The only thing that matters is the customer. LAT is a perfect example - racing has no integrity. Now that you got me thinking about it, maybe that is why so many people I thought were attracted to the game by Zenyatta are nowhere to be found today - they probably were there to see what a mud hole racing really is in person.

Fair enough.....All I can tell you is that there are a many out there who own horses and also see the problems that exist and also have additional headaches and challenges that come with owning horses and what comes with it.

You make a good point with rgeards to Zenyatta and fans she may have brought to the sport-I always hear about bringing more people to the track and the game in general and like you wonder about what they see when they come.

Tom
01-08-2011, 10:09 PM
I think the game would be better off with people like you, McSchell, lamboguy, who I met this year, instead of the likes of Pletcher and Dutrow.
:ThmbUp:

Relwob Owner
01-08-2011, 10:12 PM
I think the game would be better off with people like you, McSchell, lamboguy, who I met this year, instead of the likes of Pletcher and Dutrow.
:ThmbUp:

Thanks Tom-nice of you to say and much appreciated

thaskalos
01-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Isn't this better than us arguing all the time? :)

Saratoga_Mike
01-08-2011, 10:18 PM

I find it disturbing! Where are CJ and gm10?

thaskalos
01-08-2011, 10:29 PM
I find it disturbing! Where are CJ and gm10?:lol: A kinder, gentler Paceadvantage forum...for the new Year.

Stillriledup
01-08-2011, 10:33 PM
:lol: A kinder, gentler Paceadvantage forum...for the new Year.

This IS your Grandpa's PA after all! :jump:

Tom
01-08-2011, 10:47 PM
1sONfxPCTU0

Tom
01-08-2011, 10:49 PM
vo9AH4vG2wA

Relwob Owner
01-08-2011, 11:23 PM

No complaints here....have a good night

joanied
01-09-2011, 12:15 PM

or is this the quiet before the storm:eek: ...
...seriously though, yeah, it is better:ThmbUp:

Cardus
01-09-2011, 04:24 PM
What did Todd Pletcher and/or John Velazquez have to gain by Life at Ten running in the race, especially if they didn't think everything was OK? Pletcher is still going to be paid by the owner and JV is not one mount fee away from a soup kitchen for crying out loud. If you want to castigate them that's fine, they dropped the ball in making it clear that they didn't think the horse was right. But, to go so far as to say the owner of the horse should be punished or that the two of them should be banned from other racetracks is a complete over-reaction and absolute lunacy.

That fits in here.

Tom
01-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
What did Todd Pletcher and/or John Velazquez have to gain by Life at Ten running in the race, especially if they didn't think everything was OK?

Ask them; both knew there was a problem and neither did a thing about it, in spite of complaining on national TV.