PDA

View Full Version : Old Westerns

Dave Schwartz
01-08-2011, 01:14 AM
Trust me... this is good.

If you think the years are catching up with you -- you're right. One look at this film clip and you'll be young and old all over again. BUT WAIT -- THERE'S MORE!!!! Ever wonder just who all those minor characters were who populated western after western with few lines and a familiar face. Well the clip has pictures and names -- so after 50 or so years -- say "Howdy" to some of those general store, saloon keeper, blacksmith mini-heroes from your youth.

Just click on Those Old Westerns and enjoy
Those Old Westerns (http://oldfortyfives.com/thoseoldwesterns.htm)

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened

NJ Stinks
01-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Great stuff!!

Thanks, Dave.

HUSKER55
01-08-2011, 02:30 AM
THANK YOU DAVE:ThmbUp:

Greyfox
01-08-2011, 03:46 AM
THANK YOU DAVE:ThmbUp:

A great list. I was specifically looking to see if they would have Slim Pickens, not truly a star but always in some of them.
I was also looking for Bob Steele who starred early and became an extra in many other movies. The list had both of those guys.

While I was specifically watching for them I might have missed Roy Rogers and Gene Autrey, who were probably on the list.
Also was Rod Cameron, who I never cared for, and whoever played Red Ryder(?) on the list. I might have also missed Tim Holt.

Special attention should be drawn to Audie Murphy.
He was a genuine War hero. The amazing thing about him was that he looked so young in most of the movies that he played in well after the war was over.

Clayton Moore, a.k.a. "The Lone Ranger" went for years after the series was over having a hard time giving up the identity. He milked the part for all it was worth in public appearances, even as a senior citizen.

Now that I think of it I don't recall James Garner from Gunsmoke but that was a later era. But if Richard Boone from "Have Gun Will Travel" qualifies so does Lorne Greene , Bonanza - similar vintage. Without playing it again was he on the list.

At any rate, thanks Dave.

I want to say "I grew up on Cowboys."
The truth is "Cowboy pics helped me to not grow up."

Greyfox ;)

Robert Goren
01-08-2011, 06:44 AM
I have just watch this thing three times. Thanks, Dave

offtrack
01-08-2011, 08:02 AM
When I grow up I want to be a cowboy.

DJofSD
01-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Honorable mention of Frankie Lane is needed.

magwell
01-08-2011, 09:34 AM
This is the reality that " we are just passing thru " and good memory's become treasures with time.....brought tears to my eyes....Thanks

prospector
01-08-2011, 10:12 AM
with being able to download from netflix i have western saturdays at least once a month..the western channel is going to do a tim holt sat soon..
i always watch movies with wild bill elliot or Randolph scott..my bike was named blackjack..love the memories..

Let's Roll
01-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the link, I enjoyed it !

lamboguy
01-08-2011, 12:48 PM
there is a telvision channel on called ENCORE ENTERTAIMENT that has westerns on 24 hours a day. they have great shows on like GUNSMOKE, LAWMAN, MAVERICK. on new years day they had a BONANZA marathon. when i start losing at horseracing i switch to this channel to get my head clear!

Johnny V
01-08-2011, 02:12 PM
there is a telvision channel on called ENCORE ENTERTAIMENT that has westerns on 24 hours a day. they have great shows on like GUNSMOKE, LAWMAN, MAVERICK. on new years day they had a BONANZA marathon. when i start losing at horseracing i switch to this channel to get my head clear!
Our Encore western station had a WAGON TRAIN marathon on New Years Day. It was great to see Ward Bond and cast in the series. I have not seen any Wagon Train episodes aired in many years. It was great seeing them again.