PDA

View Full Version : Odds Calculator Programmer

it2neal
01-06-2011, 02:16 PM
I am looking for someone who can write a fairly simple (I think) odds calculator program using my parameters. Anyone out there?

CBedo
01-06-2011, 03:22 PM
I am looking for someone who can write a fairly simple (I think) odds calculator program using my parameters. Anyone out there?When you say odds calculator, do you mean using handicapping factors to calculate a "fair value" odds line, or are you talking about pulling odds from a live toteboard?

ranchwest
01-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Also, what is your data source?

Capper Al
01-07-2011, 06:21 AM
All you need to know is what is your own win percentage. The Public's is 33% on a favorite and 50% for an under even money favorite. Let's say your hit rate is 25%. If your horse isn't the favorite then you need 5/1 odds. (2 out of 3 that the favorite fails times 1 out of 4 that you are correct = 1/6 or 5/1.) If your horse is the favorite then if you are not getting 2/1 skip the race because that's all the favorite is worth. (1 out of 3 = 2/1 odds.) There is a lot of stuff written about the mystic of odds making. One can't come up with precise numbers to make a line with fuzzy logic. Don't overlook the obvious.

it2neal
01-07-2011, 08:46 AM
I understand odds. There is also basic odds creating software available. What I am looking for is a program that will create odds based on numbers and parameters that I have developed. I have found the odds I create highly accurate but to do each race manually as I do now is very time consuming.

Yes, I am looking to calculate a "fair value" odds line.

Thank you all for your interest.

GameTheory
01-07-2011, 10:22 AM
I understand odds. There is also basic odds creating software available. What I am looking for is a program that will create odds based on numbers and parameters that I have developed. I have found the odds I create highly accurate but to do each race manually as I do now is very time consuming.

Yes, I am looking to calculate a "fair value" odds line.

Thank you all for your interest.So you're looking for a custom program to read in a data file (presumably BRIS or DRF) and spit out oddslines? Yeah, I can do that, as can Mr. Bedo above (I think), and a number of others around here I imagine...

it2neal
01-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Yes, something similar to that. But I've tried plugging my numbers into a generic odds calculator and the results are not what I'm looking for so I've devised a couple of small adjustments that will make necessary corrections. If anyone is interested in creating this program, please pm me. I will be happy to share my data source and techniques with anyone who will write this program for me. I believe it creates a highly accurate odds line. Certainly much, much better than the morning line.