PDA

View Full Version : How did Gulfstream treat you today on opening day!

Stillriledup
01-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I made a nice hit in the 7th, had a bad beat in the 8th and was rooting for a DQ in the 9th that never came.

The Old Hat stakes was interesting, there were co 8-5 shots who were both horrrible, especially that Penn shipper, i needed that horse to hang on to 4th and he stopped in the stretch like something was wrong. The 2 horse was a great throwout at 8-1, she showed PID talent but was nothing on the regular dirt, she was bad again, but messed up all my supers by hanging on for 4th. Quantum Miss ran right by her and then somehow didn't get into the top 4, bad beat for me there.

Then, in the last race, i needed the winner to come all the way down, i would have caught a 7-2 over 25-1 over 75-1 trifecta in a 12 horse field, but no dice, they left the winner up even though he 'crashed' into the horse on the inside. I guess they said he was 'clear' when he shifted over dangerously in the stretch and maybe it didnt affect the outcome, who knows. The 2nd place finisher, Sandys Diamond, might be one to watch. Broke slow, was a bit washy heading to the gate, was far back, circled 10 wide on the far turn and powered home for a very good 2nd.

pick 5 carryover for tomorrow? I dont know how that works, maybe they just pay it all out to 4 of 5 and there' sno carryovers, i know that at Los Al they don't bother carrying over the pick4 should nobody hit it, so maybe there's no Pick 5 CO to speak of.

Anyway, how did you all do on opening day, any success stories?

Zydeco
01-05-2011, 05:42 PM
From the results charts says pick 5 carryover is 35,203

jelly
01-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Rough day had 4 of 5 in pick-5 $170 conso. missed the feature race.

Will try tomorrow. :ThmbUp:

Saratoga_Mike
01-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Opening day handle at GP increased by approximately 20% year over year (using the first Wednesday yr-ago comparision), according to Equibase race-by-race pool info, which will differ moderately from official handle results. Both years contained nine races, but this yr's card had a stakes race whereas last yr did not (but this yr's stakes race handled less than the comparable race a yr ago).

DeanT
01-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Gulfstream Players Appear to Choose Wisely (http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/2011/01/gulfstream-players-appears-to-choose.html)

On a chat board about two years ago, where a discussion was going on about racing and bettors, an everyday player, "Dan G" posted: "The intelligence of the modern player is lost on many in charge".

If we look at today's Gulfstream results, we think that statement on your intelligence is not only true, but it is becoming more and more so true.

As most know, Gulfstream has done a few good things this meet, and the buzz has been quite good for the Florida powerhouse. First they created a new pick 6, based on a Puerto Rican wager which can grow lights out over time. Second, they created a low takeout pick 5 at 15% to entice value players into the mix.

We will see how this plays out, but we think it is worth a try. The pick 6, at ten cents, relies on carryovers to grow, and it is specifically designed to try and get lottery and slots players over to play it. For your average every day guy at simo, it is not designed for them, nor is it encouraged (although mandatory payout day might be a bonzai). This bet has been very heavily promoted so far this season. The pick 5 on the other hand is tremendous for every day players - not only can smaller players go deep and play like a whale for a day (the min is 50 cents, and with only five races you can cover), they are getting really nice takeout. It has not been promoted that much, but on chat boards and in our HANA mailbox, it has player buzz.

Today, the modern player spoke. The heavily promoted pick 6 received $7400 in handle, while the "inside the beltway" pick 5 received about 700% more, $56,000 in handle. The modern horseplayer chose value.

More at the above link via HANA blog

Horseplayersbet.com
01-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Opening day handle at GP increased by approximately 20% year over year (using the first Wednesday yr-ago comparision), according to Equibase race-by-race pool info, which will differ moderately from official handle results. Both years contained nine races, but this yr's card had a stakes race whereas last yr did not (but this yr's stakes race handled less than the comparable race a yr ago).
It must be the economy.

Dahoss9698
01-05-2011, 06:34 PM
I made a nice hit in the 7th, had a bad beat in the 8th and was rooting for a DQ in the 9th that never came.

Hall of Fame redboard

cj
01-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Hall of Fame redboard

He bet the 4 to show.

the little guy
01-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Hall of Fame redboard

He's got competition for that from another poster in this thread.

Stillriledup
01-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Rough day had 4 of 5 in pick-5 $170 conso. missed the feature race.

Will try tomorrow. :ThmbUp:

Best bet in racing, 15% takeout and a carryover. Tomorrow is a good day to take a shot, hopefully tomorrow is your day!

lamboguy
01-05-2011, 07:14 PM
it left me scratching my head, the same as all the other tracks

Spiderman
01-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Won enough to take a mighty swing at P5, tomorrow.

therussmeister
01-05-2011, 07:59 PM
[b]

Today, the modern player spoke. The heavily promoted pick 6 received $7400 in handle, while the "inside the beltway" pick 5 received about 700% more, $56,000 in handle. The modern horseplayer chose value.

$7400 in dimes is not too shabby.

toussaud
01-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Hall of Fame redboard
I actually talked my self off the 6 in the 7th race, was so sick I cut off my aDW and went to to run errands.

Did okay, lost the first by a nose (had the 7), won the 3rd, loss the feature, talked myself off that horse in the 7th. Still sick about that. BAsically a few dollars better than breaking even. Lol, if I were at the track it would be one of those "okay let's take our winnings and get some Mexican food" days. Enough to buy something to eat half decent and get back home.

InsideThePylons-MW
01-05-2011, 09:12 PM
He's got competition for that from another poster in this thread.

Yeah....Dean is hall of fame material.

DeanT
01-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Yeah....Dean is hall of fame material.

I had five of five written down on a napkin, but my dog knocked a glass of chocolate milk on it so I typed in my ticket wrong. I singled four horses and took two in the third leg.

Honest.

Grits
01-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Stillriledup wrote:
It takes many, many years for a new fan to evolve into a serious bettor.

SRU . . . takes even longer, maybe, for "a serious bettor" to know "serious bettors" don't redboard their $85.40 winner two hours after he crosses the wire? This is world classs; it raises questions about your evolving. :lol:

statepierback
01-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Caught a few winners but those wire to wire longshots on the turf blow up the pick 3's etc. Lost ten bucks when it was all said and done.

billyball
01-05-2011, 11:13 PM
The rail was out 30 feet on the turf course---usually means speed is a good thing---that 6 horse in the 7th did show speed last out---30% trainer and same jockey won the 2nd race---40-1---easy too see later---story of my life---

cj
01-05-2011, 11:25 PM
The rail was out 30 feet on the turf course---usually means speed is a good thing---that 6 horse in the 7th did show speed last out---30% trainer and same jockey won the 2nd race---40-1---easy too see later---story of my life---

30 feet isn't much for GP.

Spiderman
01-06-2011, 07:27 AM
30 feet isn't much for GP.

Right. GP website had the following, yesterday:

Race 03: Temp Rail Distance set at 36 ft.
Race 05: Temp Rail Distance set at 96 ft.
Race 07: Temp Rail Distance set at 36 ft.
Race 09: Temp Rail Distance set at 36 ft.

R5, won by wire-to-wire, was set at 96ft. You can find the Temp rail Distance in Scratches, at bottom of page.

garyscpa
01-06-2011, 08:44 AM

R5, won by wire-to-wire, was set at 96ft. You can find the Temp rail Distance in Scratches, at bottom of page.

I don't think I've ever seen a Scratches or Changes page that was as hard to read as Gulfstream's yesterday.

cj
01-06-2011, 10:41 AM

Yes, I am aware. My point was they go a lot further out as the 96 ft indicates. They have gone anywhere from 0 to 108 ft in 12 ft increments.

Valuist
01-06-2011, 11:22 AM
For those of us stuck at work yesterday afternoon, how did the track play? Any hint of an inside or outside bias at all? Or was it pretty neutral?

jelly
01-06-2011, 12:05 PM
speed on the turf did well.

CBedo
01-06-2011, 12:41 PM

R5, won by wire-to-wire, was set at 96ft. You can find the Temp rail Distance in Scratches, at bottom of page.Is it common for them to move the rail during the day, or more likely was the 96 a misprint?

jelly
01-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Today

Race 06: Temp Rail Distance set at 36 ft.
Race 07: Temp Rail Distance set at 96 ft.
Race 09: Temp Rail Distance set at 36 ft

Saratoga_Mike
01-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Today

Race 06: Temp Rail Distance set at 36 ft.
Race 07: Temp Rail Distance set at 96 ft.
Race 09: Temp Rail Distance set at 36 ft

Function of distance - 1 1/16 at 96 feet

cj
01-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Function of distance - 1 1/16 at 96 feet

They do like to use two different settings to save the course. Many races have been run at GP at 1 1/16 m with the rail set at 36 feet.

Saratoga_Mike
01-06-2011, 01:11 PM
They do like to use two different settings to save the course. Many races have been run at GP at 1 1/16 m with the rail set at 36 feet.

Right, but the first couple days they're running all the 1 1/16 races with the rail at 96 feet, i believe

CBedo
01-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Just seems weird to me that they would move the rail after two races and them move it back; I could see them moving it and leaving it. Does the 1 1/16 mile use a part of the track that the shorter ones don't (embarassed to admit I don't remember the layout of the GP turf course)?

BillW
01-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Just seems weird to me that they would move the rail after two races and them move it back; I could see them moving it and leaving it. Does the 1 1/16 mile use a part of the track that the shorter ones don't (embarassed to admit I don't remember the layout of the GP turf course)?

When I watched it today they had both rails up. Effectively 2 turf courses.

Charlie D
01-06-2011, 07:56 PM
When I watched it today they had both rails up. Effectively 2 turf courses.

If they dug up the turf and replaced it with synth there would be no need to move rails or have races designated for that surface to switch to Dirt thus reducing scratches.

Just a thought for all those that run these tracks

Get rid of TURF, NOT Dirt :)

JohnGalt1
01-06-2011, 09:04 PM
I had five of five written down on a napkin, but my dog knocked a glass of chocolate milk on it so I typed in my ticket wrong. I singled four horses and took two in the third leg.

Honest.

Dog--- :ThmbDown:

DeanT
01-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Dog--- :ThmbDown:

He's a good dog. He drooled on Eldaafer for the Marathon this year, while the pps were on the floor. True story. Good dog.

onefast99
01-07-2011, 09:04 AM
If they dug up the turf and replaced it with synth there would be no need to move rails or have races designated for that surface to switch to Dirt thus reducing scratches.

Just a thought for all those that run these tracks

Get rid of TURF, NOT Dirt :)
Gulfstream has gone to a movable rail system on its excellent turf course. In 2010 the rails were used in a manner to split the course into two different grass surfaces — an inner and outer course. The rails could be moved on both to keep the grass over which horses were racing relatively fresh.