PDA

View Full Version : A Homeless Man's Story.....

JustRalph
01-05-2011, 02:01 AM
An interesting story. Columbus Ohio never ceases to amaze me when it comes to weird stories

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/01/04/voice-from-streets-has-sound-of-fairy-tale.html?sid=101

A voice from the streets has the sound of a fairy tale
Tuesday, January 4, 2011 11:42 PM
BY KEVIN JOY

The Columbus Dispatch

That voice.

The smooth baritone of Ted Williams became an Internet sensation today when a Dispatch.com video compelled millions of viewers to take a closer look (and listen) at a homeless panhandler who sometimes works the Hudson Street ramp off northbound I-71.

Carrying a hand-scrawled cardboard sign touting his "God-given gift of voice," an otherwise ragged Williams was recorded last month offering up his radiant pipes to an idle commuter for spare change.

see more at the link

and the video

VYUYVGTpjL8

Spiderman
01-05-2011, 07:59 AM
An interesting story. Columbus Ohio never ceases to amaze me when it comes to weird stories

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/01/04/voice-from-streets-has-sound-of-fairy-tale.html?sid=101

A voice from the streets has the sound of a fairy tale
Tuesday, January 4, 2011 11:42 PM
BY KEVIN JOY

The Columbus Dispatch

That voice.

The smooth baritone of Ted Williams became an Internet sensation today when a Dispatch.com video compelled millions of viewers to take a closer look (and listen) at a homeless panhandler who sometimes works the Hudson Street ramp off northbound I-71.

Carrying a hand-scrawled cardboard sign touting his "God-given gift of voice," an otherwise ragged Williams was recorded last month offering up his radiant pipes to an idle commuter for spare change.

see more at the link

and the video

VYUYVGTpjL8

Man invited to be on Today show on NBC, tomorrow. Hosts suggested that they will find voiceover work for him.

boxcar
01-05-2011, 12:58 PM
I heard him on the radio yesterday. This guy has some talent. My wife told me he already has had job offers. This has all the makings of a great success story.

Boxcar

ArlJim78
01-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Great story, he's going to do alright. He's got the talent desire and attitude, and now some exposure. My heart goes out to anyone making the tough climb back up after being down the dead end road of addiction. Hope he makes it.

Let's Roll
01-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Great story, he's going to do alright. He's got the talent desire and attitude, and now some exposure. My heart goes out to anyone making the tough climb back up after being down the dead end road of addiction. Hope he makes it.
Well said ! I hope I get to see, and hear, the rest of the story !

Greyfox
01-05-2011, 01:35 PM
I have a friend who I haven't seen in 40 years.
In the 1960's he moved to New York to become a professional actor, of the Shakespearean ilk.
He never made it as an actor.
Instead he draws in a 7 digit income each year doing "voice overs" for big companies. Every now and then I hear him on top end Television commercials.

ArlJim78
01-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Looks like he's going to get his chance. (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/3171745-419/williams-voice-cavaliers-cleveland-films.html)

NBA team offers announcing job to homeless man

By TOM WITHERS AP Sports Writer ;Jan 5, 2011 02:30PM
CLEVELAND (AP) — A homeless man in Ohio with a deep, gifted voice, has been offered a job by the Cleveland Cavaliers and is being sought by NFL Films for possible work, as well.

Ted Williams, whose rich baritone and plight have made him an online video sensation, was first contacted Wednesday by the Cavaliers. Team spokesman Tad Carper said details are still being worked out on a possible position for Williams.

Bettowin
01-05-2011, 04:43 PM
From the article:

"Carper said any job could include working in Quicken Loans Arena, the NBA team’s downtown arena. It is not yet known if Williams has accepted the team’s offer."

I say it turn it down and wait for something better :)

JustRalph
01-05-2011, 07:15 PM
If I remember right, the voice of NFL films is about 85 hrs old. That could be a great gig

bigmack
01-05-2011, 07:23 PM
As someone who has produced thousands of commercials, it takes much more than just a good vocal instrument to do voice-over work.

cj's dad
01-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Like Michael Vick, we all deserve a 2nd chance !!

JustRalph
01-06-2011, 02:09 AM
Too bad the dogs can't have a 2nd chance............

cj's dad
01-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Too bad the dogs can't have a 2nd chance............

Fair point Ralph !

eastie
01-06-2011, 10:45 AM
As someone who has produced thousands of commercials, it takes much more than just a good vocal instrument to do voice-over work.

Ernie Anderson said it was an artform. It takes time to perfect it.

bigmack
01-06-2011, 05:28 PM
ExdVwfNbuVo

TJDave
01-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Like Michael Vick, we all deserve a 2nd chance !!

Not sure I believe it. When was it decided that everyone deserves a 2nd chance? And if so, why not 3rd or 4th? ;)

Tom
01-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Like Dutrow?

53rd, 54th........ 83rd, 84th..........

Tom
01-06-2011, 08:57 PM
I gotta say this, the guy cleaned up pretty nice!
Not sure about the "hope" but this must be the "change!" :D

cj's dad
01-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Not sure I believe it. When was it decided that everyone deserves a 2nd chance? And if so, why not 3rd or 4th? ;)

I probably worded that poorly. Child molesters, cold blooded murderers, and the like deserve nothing but a life in prison.

Vick's dog transgressions are a bit different, don't you think.

mostpost
01-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Just heard on Rachel Maddow show. He was hired by MSNBC to do voiceover work. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
01-06-2011, 09:20 PM
The actions are different, but the point out a mentally defect individual muck like Dahmer. Had Vic not been in the NFL, he could he a serial killer by now. Garbage like that never changes inside - he says the right stuff on the outside to get what he wants.

TJDave
01-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Vick's dog transgressions are a bit different, don't you think.

Certainly not as bad as molesters or murderers but I wasn't going there.

We say collectively that everyone deserves a second chance...Where does that come from...and what does it really mean?

I'd expect that most everyone that gets into trouble of the kind that makes the news or lands them in prison had run out of chances long before.

ArlJim78
01-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Dy85lAKLasw

JustRalph
09-16-2011, 05:10 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2011/09/15/one-more-take.html

exiting out the other end ?