PDA

View Full Version : First, dead birds now dead fish.

DJofSD
01-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Are these results of climate change or just a biblical plague in the making?

The birds fell out of the sky in Wisconson now dead fish in Missouri.

bigmack
01-03-2011, 06:25 PM
WI & MO? I read one state... AR

http://blogs.babble.com/strollerderby/2011/01/03/in-arkansas-birds-fall-from-the-sky-and-fish-wash-up-while-children-question-death/

DJofSD
01-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Well, I could be wrong. I thought I had heard it was WI on C-2-C last night.

Tape Reader
01-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Rail birds?

DJofSD
01-03-2011, 07:12 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/01/02/2011-01-02_more_than_1000_dead_birds_fall_out_of_the_sky_i n_arkansas_streets_covered_with_b.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5CUHHGlQg0&feature=related

highnote
01-03-2011, 07:42 PM
It's the end of the world, but I thought it wasn't supposed to happen until May. :confused:

fast4522
01-03-2011, 07:58 PM
It's the end of the world, but I thought it wasn't supposed to happen until May. :confused:

E. None of the above.

The leftys would be saying Global Warming, "Shit, I voted for that!!" But closer to the truth is that everything is plastics. The amount of dioxin and other chemicals discharged during the production of everything from water jugs to the bumpers on your car's and the millions of packaging of products is unreal. People have been dying young for years who live next to the plants and you guys are just noticing the birds, wow. But just like the consumption of gasoline, there is nothing that will be done about it.

GameTheory
01-03-2011, 08:03 PM
E. None of the above.

The leftys would be saying Global Warming, "Shit, I voted for that!!" But closer to the truth is that everything is plastics. The amount of dioxin and other chemicals discharged during the production of everything from water jugs to the bumpers on your car's and the millions of packaging of products is unreal. People have been dying young for years who live next to the plants and you guys are just noticing the birds, wow. But just like the consumption of gasoline, there is nothing that will be done about it.So you've been aware of other such flocks of birds dying in mid-air and falling to the ground? This has been a regular occurrence and nobody else but you noticed until now?

boxcar
01-03-2011, 08:03 PM

It's probably been moved up to April when Congress gets to vote on a new budget. :D

Boxcar

boxcar
01-03-2011, 08:05 PM
So you've been aware of other such flocks of birds dying in mid-air and falling to the ground? This has been a regular occurrence and nobody else but you noticed until now?

Actually, I've been seeing quite a few feathers on my lawn lately. But I suppose that could have something do with the puddy population in my neighborhood. :D

Boxcar

Greyfox
01-03-2011, 08:11 PM
E. None of the above.

. The amount of dioxin and other chemicals discharged during the production of everything from water jugs to the bumpers on your car's and the millions of packaging of products is unreal. People have been dying young for years who live next to the plants and you guys are just noticing the birds, wow. .

4,000 blackbirds fall from the sky at once and you think it was dioxins?? :rolleyes:

Hard not to notice 4,000 birds when that happens.

bigmack
01-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Growing up in the Chicagoland area I always enjoyed red-winged BB's.

"Experts" specoolate it was lightning. The scene must have been akin to the Magnolia 'Frogs' saga.

RNZN5PfMdqw

Pell Mell
01-03-2011, 08:41 PM
The latest I heard is the birds have suffered some kind of physical trauma. They think the fish are dying from a disease of some kind because it's been only one species, the Drum, which is a bottom feeder.

highnote
01-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Growing up in the Chicagoland area I always enjoyed red-winged BB's.

I grew up in Ohio and red winged bbs were my favorite. I've never seen one in the east.

Bettowin
01-03-2011, 09:01 PM
I went through Beebe Arkansas a month or so ago and there were Air Force planes flying real low (AF base nearby). I could see a fighter jet or two whiz through a flock of blackbirds and bring a lot of them down.

Greyfox
01-03-2011, 09:09 PM
I went through Beebe Arkansas a month or so ago and there were Air Force planes flying real low (AF base nearby). I could see a fighter jet or two whiz through a flock of blackbirds and bring a lot of them down.

The pilot is lucky that they didn't bring him/her down.

Bettowin
01-03-2011, 09:16 PM

Just read an article about the weather going through just prior to the birds found dead. With sheer number of dead birds a freak weather situation seems much more logical. The article did say there have been prior instances where birds were sucked off a roost and pulled upward or scared off the roost and then pulled up in a draft until they died from exposure or upper level hail.

bigmack
01-03-2011, 09:32 PM
The possibility of it being a low flying plane is about as far out as far fetched could be.

Bettowin
01-03-2011, 09:49 PM
The possibility of it being a low flying plane is about as far out as far fetched could be.

Ok, how about a flying saucer?

redshift1
01-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Cthulhu. is responsible..... pronunciation kə-THOO-loo

Greyfox
01-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Ok, how about a flying saucer?

That's as credible as what I've heard so far.
The fact is there is no logical explanation to date.

GameTheory
01-03-2011, 11:30 PM
That's as credible as what I've heard so far.
The fact is there is no logical explanation to date.
Being sucked up to a higher altitude than they could handle sounds sorta plausible, and it has happened before. They have a flock mentality where they all follow each other so if a section of the flock was "grabbed" by an upstream, they could well all follow and then get frozen or whatever...

Bettowin
01-03-2011, 11:43 PM

Ever see a jet approach the speed of sound? I wonder how close it would have to get to a flock of birds for the concussion to kill a bunch of them?

Tom
01-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Are these results of climate change or just a biblical plague in the making?

The birds fell out of the sky in Wisconson now dead fish in Missouri.

Holy Cow! :eek:
Dead fish falling out the sky????

That concerns me a lot.

bigmack
01-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Ever see a jet approach the speed of sound? I wonder how close it would have to get to a flock of birds for the concussion to kill a bunch of them?
Come on, man, kibosh your theorem. Not a resident of the community heard a low flying jet @ 10:30PM on NYEve.

This is the latest:
BEEBE, Ark. — Scientists said Monday that the thousands of red-winged blackbirds that died after raining down onto streets in Arkansas on New Year’s were likely frightened by fireworks.

“The blackbirds were flying at rooftop level instead of treetop level” to avoid explosions above, said ornithologist Karen Rowe. “They started colliding with things.” AP :rolleyes:

Another: Washing machine type-thunderstorm’ theory, fatally soaked and chilled them.
http://deathby1000papercuts.com/2011/01/dead-blackbirds-in-arkansas-update-dead-birds-discovered-in-louisiana-kentucky/

Bettowin
01-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Come on, man, kibosh your theorem. Not a resident of the community heard a low flying jet @ 10:30PM on NYEve.

This is the latest:

Another: Washing machine type-thunderstorm’ theory, fatally soaked and chilled them.
http://deathby1000papercuts.com/2011/01/dead-blackbirds-in-arkansas-update-dead-birds-discovered-in-louisiana-kentucky/

You must not have heard about our new "silent" fighter jets:)

Seriously, to me the weather explanation makes more sense than the birds just flying into things and there were bad storms in the area at the time. There were birds laying in the middle of the street but then again I haven't seen any good pictures of the area to tell what they would have flown into.

PS - News alert>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dick Cheney and a larger party of hunters were spotted in Little Rock on New Year's day:)

bigmack
01-04-2011, 12:10 AM
kfwSc-IZpao

JustRalph
01-04-2011, 12:56 AM
I heard "internal trauma" on the first 17 they looked at.

Internal Trauma occurs in fish and birds with extreme changes of atmospheric pressure. The kind that occur when something explodes close to them, or a strong force changes the atmosphere. Lightning can do it. Actually I think lightening actually causes a shock wave similar to something exploding.

A sonic boom would be similar. It sure is an interesting case.

Where I am from in Ohio, it is not unusual to have a couple hundred black birds in a tree in the evening. You take some large forested areas and I have seen at least a thousand in trees. I guess it's possible there were a couple thousand roosting together somewhere. I bet some were trying to fly after being injured internally.

highnote
01-04-2011, 03:13 AM
update

UPDATE: A state veterinarian tells NBC that preliminary necropsy results from several birds show that they died of "multiple blunt trauma to their vital organs," though what caused the trauma remains uncertain. According to Dr. George Badley, their stomachs were empty, so they weren't poisoned, and they died in midair, not upon impact with the ground.

Spiderman
01-04-2011, 05:51 AM
I heard "internal trauma" on the first 17 they looked at.

Internal Trauma occurs in fish and birds with extreme changes of atmospheric pressure. The kind that occur when something explodes close to them, or a strong force changes the atmosphere. Lightning can do it. Actually I think lightening actually causes a shock wave similar to something exploding.

A sonic boom would be similar. It sure is an interesting case.

Where I am from in Ohio, it is not unusual to have a couple hundred black birds in a tree in the evening. You take some large forested areas and I have seen at least a thousand in trees. I guess it's possible there were a couple thousand roosting together somewhere. I bet some were trying to fly after being injured internally.

Reported on CBS, 0550 hrs: New Year's eve fireworks scared the birds. Probable cause of internal trauma

fast4522
01-04-2011, 06:34 AM
So you've been aware of other such flocks of birds dying in mid-air and falling to the ground? This has been a regular occurrence and nobody else but you noticed until now?

No, I just do not believe in global warming end of the world crap. I figured someone would have said something about UFO's by now.

As a kid I remember being at Revere Beach every night in line at Kelly's roast beef, and in 1977 seeing the National Guard on the wall keeping people out of the water because of sharks in shallow water. Then followed by the blizzard of 1978 which was a week I probably drank more beer in a seven day period than any other time.

Bettowin
01-04-2011, 10:51 AM
CNN reported last night during an interview between Anderson Cooper and Michael Moore that the birds were returning home to Michigan after the Alabama game and were so distraught they decided to end it all.

Can't really blame them. Did you see that game?

Robert Goren
01-04-2011, 10:57 AM
The silly season is alive and well on PA this year.;)

PhantomOnTour
01-04-2011, 11:13 AM
I believe all the birds were Ravens( ;) )....an ominous foreboding of their post-season chances??? :lol:

BlueShoe
01-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Reported on CBS, 0550 hrs: New Year's eve fireworks scared the birds. Probable cause of internal trauma
Fox just aired this theory a few minutes ago. Massive mid air collisions when the birds panicked from fireworks.

Tom
01-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Did they all fall and land on the fish?

Bettowin
01-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Fox just aired this theory a few minutes ago. Massive mid air collisions when the birds panicked from fireworks.

That's what I would say if I really didn't know either:) How the heck did they come to that conclusion? Birds colliding hard enought to kill each other?

BlueShoe
01-04-2011, 12:22 PM
I've got it! The birds died of shock when they heard about the increased mutuel takeout on California exotics.;)

boxcar
01-04-2011, 01:00 PM
I've got it! The birds died of shock when they heard about the increased mutuel takeout on California exotics.;)

El Rushbo just gave the best explanation I heard for the demise of all these birds: They flew into our Debt Ceiling. (However, he also expressed surprise that they could fly that high.) :D

Boxcar

BlueShoe
01-04-2011, 02:24 PM
El Rushbo just gave the best explanation I heard for the demise of all these birds: They flew into our Debt Ceiling. (However, he also expressed surprise that they could fly that high.) :D

Boxcar
Im with Rush, never knew until now that blackbirds had developed space travel. :eek:

GameTheory
01-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Another set of dead birds has fallen from the sky:

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2011-01/five-hundred-more-dead-blackbirds-louisiana-further-puzzle-investigators

The dumbest thing I've heard about this story is the CNN had on Kirk Cameron to talk about the apocalypse and even he didn't know why they invited him...

newtothegame
01-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Another set of dead birds has fallen from the sky:

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2011-01/five-hundred-more-dead-blackbirds-louisiana-further-puzzle-investigators

The dumbest thing I've heard about this story is the CNN had on Kirk Cameron to talk about the apocalypse and even he didn't know why they invited him...

Another link to the Louisiana find.....

http://www.wwltv.com/outbound-feeds/social/500-birds-found-dead-in-Louisiana-112874034.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

I wonder if we will ever know the truth based on whats been reported so far....:faint:

PaceAdvantage
01-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Power lines...huh? If that were the case, there would be thousands of birds falling out of the sky every single day....

boxcar
01-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Power lines...huh? If that were the case, there would be thousands of birds falling out of the sky every single day....

Maybe someone moved the "goal posts" vertically while they were in flight. Nice tripwire. :D

Boxcar

BetHorses!
01-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Think its something in air from oil spill

bigmack
01-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Pro grade fireworks freaked 'em out of their nests. They're almost blind in the dark and went flying into buildings and even the ground.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-01-05-arkansas-dead-birds-fireworks_N.htm

PaceAdvantage
01-06-2011, 12:02 AM
If this is the case, how come July 4th hasn't been renamed "bird death day?"

newtothegame
01-06-2011, 04:14 AM
If this is the case, how come July 4th hasn't been renamed "bird death day?"

As well as how come no other city, (specifically major cities) has jad this happened? I am pretty sure that most major cities would have some extravagant firework displays in comparison to Beebee Arkansas......:faint:

Robert Fischer
01-06-2011, 04:49 AM
happened in sweden as well
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/01/05/sweden.bird.deaths/index.html?hpt=T2

same "suffered blows... internal bleeding..."

sounds to me like the "blows" could have easily come with impacting the earth (ground).

I haven't heard the scientists say yet why the impact injuries are proven to be in the air. I don't trust the writers or the spin to get it right, given that the scientists even can...
I think it is a good idea to question what could have caused this if the impact-injuries were in fact from falling to the ground at a height and not the final explanation and answer themselves.

Tom
01-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Remember that ABC TV show......Flash Forward?

Hmmmmm..........

DJofSD
01-06-2011, 07:40 AM
Flash foward? I don't remember that program. Does it involve rain coats?

Bobzilla
01-06-2011, 09:40 AM
The head of the ornithology department at Cornell suggested that roosting blackbirds might have been sucked up from their perches into a thunder & lightning storm where once airborne they were soaked, chilled, and released to descend back to the earth. He likened it to being caught in a washing machine.

Of course this wouldn't explain dead fish in the Arkansas River, Chesapeake Bay, and the latest reports coming from Britain that thousands of dead crabs are suddenly washing ashore.

I'd like to know if anyone has witnessed the birds fall to earth. Were they lifeless creatures just fluttering back to earth or were they actually flying into the earth? I saw one report where internal bleeding caused by blunt force trauma seemed to be the cause of death. Certain migratory birds use the earth's geomagnetic fields, along with light recognition and celestial navigation, to help them travel to where they are going. I wonder if it's possible that a localized disturbance in the earth's naturally occuring magnetic fields could cause a disorientation, or vertigo, for the birds where they might actually lose a sense of up and down and kamikaze themselves into the earth. Just a wild guess, but the increasing reports of die-offs from around the world does seem strange. Then again maybe it's something that happens more frequently than we realized and it just has never been reported like it has been in recent days.

prospector
01-06-2011, 09:58 AM
The head of the ornithology department at Cornell suggested that roosting blackbirds might have been sucked up from their perches into a thunder & lightning storm where once airborne they were soaked, chilled, and released to descend back to the earth. He likened it to being caught in a washing machine.

Of course this wouldn't explain dead fish in the Arkansas River, Chesapeake Bay, and the latest reports coming from Britain that thousands of dead crabs are suddenly washing ashore.

I'd like to know if anyone has witnessed the birds fall to earth. Were they lifeless creatures just fluttering back to earth or were they actually flying into the earth? I saw one report where internal bleeding caused by blunt force trauma seemed to be the cause of death. Certain migratory birds use the earth's geomagnetic fields, along with light recognition and celestial navigation, to help them travel to where they are going. I wonder if it's possible that a localized disturbance in the earth's naturally occuring magnetic fields could cause a disorientation, or vertigo, for the birds where they might actually lose a sense of up and down and kamikaze themselves into the earth. Just a wild guess, but the increasing reports of die-offs from around the world does seem strange. Then again maybe it's something that happens more frequently than we realized and it just has never been reported like it has been in recent days.
well, they do say we're gonna die in 2012 from the earth shifting poles again..maybe these magnetic field disturbances are a warning...wish i knew for sure..i'd like to run up my credit cards..:)

Grits
01-06-2011, 12:31 PM

Good thing they weren't geese--don't have a Hudson in Arkansas.

BetHorses!
01-07-2011, 06:42 PM
700 turtledoves fell from sky in Italy....

bigmack
01-07-2011, 07:11 PM
700 turtledoves fell from sky in Italy....
And a partridge remains copasetic in a pear tree.

Tom
01-07-2011, 09:27 PM
well, they do say we're gonna die in 2012 from the earth shifting poles again..maybe these magnetic field disturbances are a warning...wish i knew for sure..i'd like to run up my credit cards..:)

Max them all out.
If we make it past 12/21/2012, blame it on the History Channel and sue them!

DJofSD
01-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Max them all out.
If we make it past 12/21/2012, blame it on the History Channel and sue them!
And George. He's the biggist enabler.

DJofSD
01-14-2011, 08:54 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41034340/ns/us_news-environment/?gt1=43001#slice-2

I sure hope Jiminy is OK.

Tom
01-14-2011, 09:36 AM
http://www.africanaonline.com/2011/01/the-epidemic-wildlife-death-continues/

Finding more dead birds - 28 in nearby Phelps, NY.
That could be because of the sauerkraut factory, though. *whew!*

RaceBookJoe
01-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Largely unreported from this weekend...there was another flock birds found dead in Pennsylvania also. 53 eagles were found dead at Lincoln Field in Philadelphia, cause of death...choking :) rbj

DJofSD
01-14-2011, 09:43 AM
http://www.africanaonline.com/2011/01/the-epidemic-wildlife-death-continues/

Finding more dead birds - 28 in nearby Phelps, NY.
That could be because of the sauerkraut factory, though. *whew!*
The responses are almost like those here on Mike's board.

Tom
01-14-2011, 10:23 AM
I see what you mean.
Maybe we should call it the internut!:D