PDA

View Full Version : Are horse writers horseplayers?

jelly
01-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Are horse writers horseplayers?

I only ask because as I was reading an article on the DRF website by Mike Welsch.

In the article he writes

"The 50-cent pick five will be offered with a 15 percent takeout, the smallest takeout offered on any pick five wager in the country, according to track officials"

You would think a reporter for the DRF would know that monmouth(I think it's the only other track that has a pk-5) Has a pk-5
at 15% takeout.

Anyway,do most reporters bet and do any make money at It?

http://www.drf.com/news/gulfstream-shakes-things-new-season

the little guy
01-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Mike Welsch ( who wrote the article ) bets and has an excellent opinion.

ManeMediaMogul
01-03-2011, 07:01 PM
I would say about 85% of turf writers wager. About 10% of them are serious horseplayers with good years and bad years just like everyone else.

GameTheory
01-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Maybe that's why he worded it "according to track officials".

Like, "according to track officials" raising takeout is a good idea.

pandy
01-03-2011, 08:40 PM
All of the turf writers I know are regular bettors.

Saratoga_Mike
01-03-2011, 08:40 PM
He probably just took their word for it, not having the ability in a short time frame to check in with every track in the country. He should have checked out the excellent takeout table provided at the HANA website.

cj
01-03-2011, 08:47 PM
I just wish they bet more, especially Watchmaker, Hovdey-Krone, and Shuback.

the little guy
01-03-2011, 09:00 PM
He probably just took their word for it, not having the ability in a short time frame to check in with every track in the country. He should have checked out the excellent takeout table provided at the HANA website.

He's actually not wrong. First of all, it is the lowest takeout on that bet, as there is none lower....and with Monmouth not running, their takeout from last summer becomes superfluous in this case. Who knows what the case will be this coming summer.

Saratoga_Mike
01-03-2011, 09:19 PM
He's actually not wrong. First of all, it is the lowest takeout on that bet, as there is none lower....and with Monmouth not running, their takeout from last summer becomes superfluous in this case. Who knows what the case will be this coming summer.

I think you took my post the wrong way. I wasn't trying to criticize him. I was merely saying he was probably under a deadline and therefore would not have had time to call every track in the country. And whenever various takeout rates come up, I alway like to mention the HANA website, which has great info on it.

chickenhead
01-03-2011, 09:59 PM
I read it like tlg (I thought "smallest" was a little different (but also correct), but whatever).

It is the lowest takeout on that bet.

Robert Fischer
01-03-2011, 10:26 PM
...it is the lowest takeout on that bet....

The_Knight_Sky
01-03-2011, 10:32 PM
All of the turf writers I know are regular bettors.

Q: who are the worst? http://i52.tinypic.com/156cm83.gif

BombsAway Bob
01-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Mike Welsch ( who wrote the article ) bets and has an excellent opinion.
i remember Mike doing Sportschannel "Racing from Suffolk Downs"
(& Rockingham)daily 30min. race recaps,along with Dan Bucci,
& both were very funny & insightful covering the bevy of $4,000 claimers.
Best recollection: +60 race maiden 'Tough Nuggets', Dan would say
something like..
"& $368 was burned in the win pool today on old Tough Nuggets."

exiles
01-04-2011, 02:23 AM
Q: who are the worst? http://i52.tinypic.com/156cm83.gif

FREE, LIFTIN,KLEIN

The_Knight_Sky
01-04-2011, 12:43 PM
FREE, LIFTIN,KLEIN

Those are handicapper-writers.

I was thinking about those employed at The BloodHorse or Thoroughbred Times. And those writing for daily news papers (or websites).

How many are able to understand the basic mathematical concept
of "overlay wagering" that drives the industry of horse racing?

If more writers did, :ThmbUp: perhaps the game would not be in such dire straits.

InsideThePylons-MW
01-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Those are handicapper-writers.

I was thinking about those employed at The BloodHorse or Thoroughbred Times. And those writing for daily news papers (or websites).

How many are able to understand the basic mathematical concept
of "overlay wagering" that drives the industry of horse racing?

If more writers did, :ThmbUp: perhaps the game would not be in such dire straits.

It's all about picking winners. If you bet a horse and he wins.....it's an overlay. Simple as that.

thaskalos
01-04-2011, 03:25 PM
It's all about picking winners. If you bet a horse and he wins.....it's an overlay. Simple as that.Does this mean that, in your opinion, a losing wager is always a bad bet?