PDA

View Full Version : How can i avoid printing out the CT AE's?

Stillriledup
01-02-2011, 11:50 PM
There's 31 pages of Charlestown, but a lot of those pages are AE horses who aren't going to race. Is there anyway to avoid printing these out? I dont really want to waste the paper or the ink on horses who arent going to run. Does DRF update the pp's sometime in the morning and 'eliminate' the horses who are scratched? I've never come across a track with so many AEs.

PhantomOnTour
01-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Print race by race and eliminate those pages. In the BRIS PP Generator you can eliminate these horses before printing :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
01-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Thanks POT.

:ThmbUp:

proximity
01-03-2011, 10:36 AM
imo ct should make a new year's resolution to eliminate these hokey also eligibles or at least cut it down to a maximum of two per race.

Saratoga_Mike
01-03-2011, 10:39 AM
imo ct should make a new year's resolution to eliminate these hokey also eligibles or at least cut it down to a maximum of two per race.

They stopped reporting early scratches about a yr or so ago, which is why the A/Es started to show up.

Robert Fischer
01-03-2011, 12:35 PM
heres what I usually end up doing:

save em all to the computer
using the Printer setting that pops up -->file-->print....pages XtoY select the known entries and print them out
use the printed pages to handicap and write notes , handicap AEs on the computer and note any that affect the race
sometimes I handicap everything via computer.

JustRalph
01-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Yet another reason to have a tablet computer and never print them again

Saratoga_Mike
01-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Yet another reason to have a tablet computer and never print them again

How can you handicap a race without printed PPs (not being argumentative, I really wonder)? Dumb related question--can you make notes on the PPs on the screen?

Robert Fischer
01-03-2011, 02:54 PM
guess it depends on your handicapping process and whether you like to mark-up a form...

-"notepad" is ok for general notes but isn't good for specific notes

skate
01-03-2011, 03:47 PM
How can you handicap a race without printed PPs (not being argumentative, I really wonder)? Dumb related question--can you make notes on the PPs on the screen?

dumb related answer...take your notes from da screen, not that i like that way, cept if your printer broke...

but,,, we have someone on this board that posted a related point,,, in that he had a simple program that let you print "only what you wanted".

he's here often, i forgets his handle.:blush: but im working on it:bang:

ranchwest
01-03-2011, 09:39 PM

1) I don't want to have to make $5 or $10 just to pay for my ink. Talk about takeout costs!

2) I've been to the track with papers while the wind was blowing. Chasing papers through the crowd is not very fun. And down the stretch he comes...

3) I don't look very good after ink gets on my fingers and then on my face.

4) I can't adjust a printout of PP's to be big enough to see.

5) Enough printouts can strangle even a large person.

Need I continue?

Dahoss9698
01-03-2011, 10:07 PM

I think with most things horse racing related, it just takes some new learning (on our end) and adjusting. I used to buy the paper version of the form everyday and mark it all up. Then when I started playing from home at lot more I would just print the PP's out and mark them up. Now I don't print them out and make whatever notes I need to in a notebook. I just handicap off the screen. The only time I print out PP's now is if I'm going to the track and even then sometimes I just take my notebook and buy the pocket program because I do most of my handicapping the day (or days) before.

JustRalph
01-04-2011, 01:21 AM

yes you can do it.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iannotate-pdf/id363998953?mt=8

There are other programs that do it also...........above is one of the most popular

http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/042/Purple/6e/7c/44/mzl.bydpdxxi.480x480-75.jpg

JustRalph
01-04-2011, 01:55 AM
here is an example I just made up from the next Aqu card.

I just downloaded the above app, ( I normally use a different one but had been eyeing this one) and loaded a race from Aqu and turned it into PDF via Equisim/Bullzip pdf printer. Emailed to myself and annotated it on my ipad.

**I didn't even look at the horses really. Just made some basic annotations using the program. Here is what it looks like after you close the annotation program, btw, you can email the annotated version etc. You can also email it so that your buddy can annotate it too........ and you can collaborate etc.

http://www.justralph.com/storage/AQU%20Jan%205%202011a.pdf

all annotations were done using my finger, and yes, my handwriting sucks :lol: at least on an Ipad it does..........

This is what it looks like on the Ipad, while working on it. I left the "tool tips" on the screen at the top, you can get rid of those if you want. Neat program so far.

http://www.justralph.com/storage/pp_on_da_pad.jpg

JustRalph
01-04-2011, 02:08 AM
just in case anybody is interested, for 15 bucks you can buy a nice stylus to use on your ipad..... I don't have one,,,,,,,,but for this function, it would be nice I think. More like a real pen and pencil markup

Zman179
01-04-2011, 08:13 AM
1) I don't want to have to make $5 or $10 just to pay for my ink. Talk about takeout costs!

2) I've been to the track with papers while the wind was blowing. Chasing papers through the crowd is not very fun. And down the stretch he comes...

Need I continue?

1) I bought an HP refurbished laser black-and-white printer for $85 from Best Buy. Runs like a charm and gives me up to 1500 pages per print cartridge. I can stretch it out even further by using the Executive paper setting and the Economy print setting (though my eyes are good).

2) Staples are a great invention

3) With a DRF you probably look like you came out of a coal mine

4) Try using "landscape" to print your pp's

5) How many tracks are you betting? 4 tracks for an entire day/night shouldn't be a problem.

ranchwest
01-05-2011, 08:34 AM
1) I bought an HP refurbished laser black-and-white printer for $85 from Best Buy. Runs like a charm and gives me up to 1500 pages per print cartridge. I can stretch it out even further by using the Executive paper setting and the Economy print setting (though my eyes are good).

2) Staples are a great invention

3) With a DRF you probably look like you came out of a coal mine

4) Try using "landscape" to print your pp's

5) How many tracks are you betting? 4 tracks for an entire day/night shouldn't be a problem.

1) When you get that ink, printer and paper down to zero, let me know.

2) Staples don't help much in these Texas winds.

3) Yep

4) I'd need giantscape to be able to read it, getting cataracts. I can't seem to stretch a piece of paper.

5) I check out nearly all of the tracks.

Spiderman
01-05-2011, 08:48 AM

Need I continue?

You are probably paying too much for ink. Go to ebay; in the search box, type the brand model and ink; shop the prices. You will find cartridges for your printer. Do not buy the ink refill systems. I am paying about $2 for ink cartridges that manufacturer sells for $19.

ranchwest
01-05-2011, 09:46 AM
You are probably paying too much for ink. Go to ebay; in the search box, type the brand model and ink; shop the prices. You will find cartridges for your printer. Do not buy the ink refill systems. I am paying about $2 for ink cartridges that manufacturer sells for $19.

I'm not paying anything for ink. I'm not using it. Well, seldom.

One of the worst things about printouts is the time it takes for the printing. When I create my HTML PPs/reports, I can go ahead and leave home and those will be available for me wherever I am. I can't do that with printouts.

mabred
01-05-2011, 12:23 PM
ranch

what do use to view the pp's my eyesite isn't great

what do u use to make pp's in html interesting stuff !!

mabred

ranchwest
01-05-2011, 12:50 PM
ranch

what do use to view the pp's my eyesite isn't great

what do u use to make pp's in html interesting stuff !!

mabred

I view the PPs with my iPhone. The Safari browser can be stretched to a large enough size to see. Admittedly, an iPad would be much better for viewing, but I don't have one (yet, lol).

I wrote a program to create the HTML. Each HTML tag is written by the program.

mabred
01-05-2011, 04:55 PM
ranch

slick stuff,thanks for the info!!!
i just can't get anything from bris pp generator
seems like its to big for my laptop make that
it is to big,to much scrolling.I don't have
a fancy phone and certainly no ipad.I like the idea of
being able to see pp's like that.Never saw html pp's

good luck

mabred

takeout
02-16-2011, 03:50 PM
In the BRIS PP Generator you can eliminate these horses before printing :ThmbUp:That’s what I’ve been doing but about half the time it still prints a page with only the header and footer on it instead of not printing it at all. Is there any way I can beat that or is it a glitch in the program?

igiveupregistering
02-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Bris Ult PP are the best. A pal who used to do handicapping tournements( won Belmont and qualified 3 times and went to NH/Las Vegas) told me to use them when I began handicapping 10 years ago....

I follow only one track daily, and "big" stakes races.
The cheapest way to print PP is an inkjet printer. I refill the same cartridge 10-15 times with a QT of ink I buy online for 18.95. Lasts about 6-7 month.
I print 1200 pages of PP and race data a month. . Printers wear out.

I've used about 4 Lexmark printers and 3 HP's. All cost 29.99 or less.
The best printer I have found is a 79.00 HP inkjet...the one I use now. Handles higher volume month 1200 per manufacturer. Used it for 14 months now and going strong.