PDA

View Full Version : Kudzu: A Lesson in Big Government Failure

DJofSD
01-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Wherever you may go in the southeastern United States, you will see a vine swallowing whole buildings and forests. It is as relentless as Sherman, destroying whole areas of the South. Chances are you've seen the plant before, even if you don't know exactly what it is. The vine is called kudzu, and it symbolizes all that is wrong with Big Government.

Read the rest of the article here (http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/12/kudzu_a_lesson_in_big_governme.html) .

boxcar
01-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Timely topic, DJ.

There is little to no political will to curb and fix Depression-era policies like entitlement programs (and kudzu). One day, America will wake up to find herself smothering -- not under the green leaves of a vine, but under the red tape of the same government who created the kudzu crisis.

And the writer is dead on the mark. He could not have nailed it better! Now, get a load of this INSANITY:

Obama aide urges debt-ceiling raise

WASHINGTON, Jan. 2 (UPI) -- One of President Obama's top economic advisers warned Sunday Congress risks a calamity it refuses to approve raising the national debt ceiling later this year.

Speaking on ABC's "This Week with Christiane Amanpour," Austan Goolsbee said that refusal to raise the debt ceiling would be tantamount to an unprecedented default on the nation's obligations.

"The impact on the economy would be catastrophic," said Goolsbee, chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisers. "I mean, that would be a worse financial economic crisis than anything we saw in 2008."

Timely interview -- just before the new congress takes over. The fear-mongering, the doom 'n' gloomers are already predicting a crisis of biblical proportions if this incoming congress doesn't increase spending. (But I do give 'em credit 'cause they replaced one tired, over-used "c" word -- "crisis" -- with two others -- "calamity" and "catastrophic". Very original. :rolleyes: )

Can someone explain to me in simple layman's terms how raising the debt limit would be helpful to this country? If I go out and intentionally max out all my credit cards, would not most reasonable, rationale human beings think that it's likely I intend to default on my credit card debt? And after I max them all out, if I were to get on the phone with each credit card company and request a credit line increase, does anyone here think that any of the companies would actually increase my limit and give me the opportunity to sink further into debt? Or do you think the companies, too, would think that I have no intentions of ever making good on my debt?

This Goosbee character needs to be locked up in a padded cell and gagged to never to be heard from again in the public arena.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/01/02/Obama-aide-urges-debt-ceiling-raise/UPI-57141293985333/

Boxcar

delayjf
01-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Can someone explain to me in simple layman's terms how raising the debt limit would be helpful to this country?

The rationale according to George Will is that if we don't raise the debt ceiling and thereby start to default on our debt - shite will hit the fan economically world wide.

boxcar
01-02-2011, 01:37 PM
The rationale according to George Will is that if we don't raise the debt ceiling and thereby start to default on our debt - shite will hit the fan economically world wide.

And it won't hit the fan if we go deeper into debt? :bang: :bang: And this were to happen, this in turn would guarantee HUGE tax hikes down the road, which would further impact the economy negatively? :bang: :bang: And you know how I know this is all pure, unadulterated pigeon poop? At what point does the U.S. government say that we must lower the debt ceiling? When does spending decrease? Just when do the spend-a-holics suddenly get to see their folly through the prism of the light of day? Just how and when do the spending addicts suddenly acquire a conscience and develop virtue to drop their decades long habit of spending ad nauseam?

Nope! I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. I ain't buyin' this insanity. In the real world when people want to get out of debt, they don't actively and aggressively embark on a mission to incur more of it! :bang: :bang: :bang: That's in the real world!

This is nothing but a political ploy. The number one issue on most voters' minds this past election was SPENDING -- as in they want to REDUCE it. Now, what do you think will happen this next election if the newly elected congress critters ignore the number one concern of the people who voted them into office, and instead go on another maddening spending spree? Do you think there would be any political fallout to essentially flipping the bird at those voters? The Dems already do that quite well. So, the Repugs should follow in their steps? That should be the Repug game plan? :bang: :bang:

Boxcar

skate
01-02-2011, 02:32 PM
welp, you know my feelings on this, feds can spend, not in CHINA but here. and the debt will cover itself.
Oh ok, give the money to Banks, AIG, GM and it goes out from this country, all is lost.
Spend the fed money here and more income is brought to the feds, to pay off the debt,....................:)

States are not in the same boat, they should balance and today they do not .