PDA

View Full Version : HRTV question

Trent12
01-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Hi,

First post here for me. I really wasnt sure as to which board I should post this. My local cable provider has TVG but not HRTV. How does HRTV coverage compare to TVG? I am considering going to Dish Network because first of all because it is cheaper then my current cable provider and the fact I would have HRTV looks to be a bonus. I look forward to following this message board in the future and Happy New Years to all.

David-LV
01-02-2011, 01:52 AM
Dish would be a great choice as Direct does not have HRTV either.

HRTV brings you all of the Churchill Downs and Stronach owned tracks as they are part owners of HRTV.

Dish also offer you RTN where you can get the live feeds for up to 80 tracks for $50 per month additional to your basic programming plan.

If you ever intend to get the RTN, make sure you get the 722 or 722k HD DVR receiver when you put your order in.

Enjoy, and a Happy and Healthy New Year To You.

_______
David-LV

toussaud
01-02-2011, 02:57 AM
You really need HRTV in the winter they cover it all, and churchill/arlington in the summer.

you can always go with the feed at hrtvonline.com for 9 bucks a month which is what I do although I have dish as well.

Stillriledup
01-02-2011, 03:07 AM
Dish would be a great choice as Direct does not have HRTV either.

HRTV brings you all of the Churchill Downs and Stronach owned tracks as they are part owners of HRTV.

Dish also offer you RTN where you can get the live feeds for up to 80 tracks for $50 per month additional to your basic programming plan.

If you ever intend to get the RTN, make sure you get the 722 or 722k HD DVR receiver when you put your order in.

Enjoy, and a Happy and Healthy New Year To You.

_______
David-LV

What 'package' do you need to subscribe to in order to get the RTN? Can you get the cheapest basic package?

David-LV
01-02-2011, 03:44 AM
Racetrack Television Network on DISH Network

http://www.dishnetwork.com/sports/images/grfx_21.jpg
Introducing Racetrack Television Network, a programming package dedicated exclusively to "the sport of kings!" The Racetrack Television Network programming package offers up to 80 channels that feature horse racing from around the country.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/sports/images/grfx_26.jpg RTN Schedule (http://rtn.tv/) -This is RTN's website.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/default.aspx
(http://rtn.tv/)

Any package is okay as long as you get an HD receiver (722 or 722k DVR's are the best bets.)

If you never had Dish before they offer real good deals for new customers.

Go to their website and you will be able to get all the info.

David-LV

FiveWide
01-02-2011, 10:29 AM
I kinda like both TVG and HRTV equally.

I like that TVG shows you the races they are showing down at the bottom right of the screen, whereas with HRTV you just have to know what tracks they are covering. It was kind of annoying when I first got it but now it's no big deal.

I sometimes enjoy the other various horse related shows on HRTV that get shown when tracks aren't being covered. TVG has none of that. TVG has annoying music with no host on some days like Mondays. I understand why they are doing it but something has to be better than that music. As far as hosts I like them both pretty much equally.

-Five

ronsmac
01-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi,

First post here for me. I really wasnt sure as to which board I should post this. My local cable provider has TVG but not HRTV. How does HRTV coverage compare to TVG? I am considering going to Dish Network because first of all because it is cheaper then my current cable provider and the fact I would have HRTV looks to be a bonus. I look forward to following this message board in the future and Happy New Years to all.
Quite frankly, I think they both suck, but it's better than nothing I guess. HRTV of course are big Stronach homers, and TVG tell u every race is great. Oh and Kurt Hoover may be the worst of all. He always says we have a good 9 race card at Santa Anita even if it's 4 horse fields in every race.

The Hawk
01-02-2011, 01:56 PM
I could be wrong but I think the HRTV channel is also available for streaming on your computer, for something like $50 a year.

ChrissyTina
01-02-2011, 06:12 PM
I like HRTV more than TVG for their shows. Having them both gives you good coverage of numerous tracks. But HRTV offers more shows.

Pursuit of the Crown (which should be starting soon) airs every week through the Belmont. The show highlights KY Derby prep races and usually gives an thorough analysis of 2-5 horses an episode to put on your watch list for the Triple Crown Races. Interviews with trainers and jockeys are always good too.

Pursuit of the Cup airs the couple of months before Breeders Cup.

Every Thursday is my favorite show...Against the Odds with Jeff Siegel and Aaron Vercruysse. They go through the upcoming weekend stakes races. Jeff is really good at picking winners. Aaron is longshots guy.

If you are into playing Pick 6's The Edge is your show.

I love INSIDE INFORMATION. I've never seen an episode that didn't catch my interest. If you love the sport you'll like this show. Each episode tells a story or two about a personality in horse racing...horse, trainer, owner, etc.

toussaud
01-02-2011, 08:39 PM
I kinda like both TVG and HRTV equally.

I like that TVG shows you the races they are showing down at the bottom right of the screen, whereas with HRTV you just have to know what tracks they are covering. It was kind of annoying when I first got it but now it's no big deal.

I sometimes enjoy the other various horse related shows on HRTV that get shown when tracks aren't being covered. TVG has none of that. TVG has annoying music with no host on some days like Mondays. I understand why they are doing it but something has to be better than that music. As far as hosts I like them both pretty much equally.

-Five
My only problem with HRTV is when they are showing horse racing related shows, when some tracks are being covered or should be. They never show Wednesday night racing, I'm stuck watching the freaking saddle club and riddin high america, which is good for a sunday morning, not for a Wednesday night with delta, penn and charles town.

Trent12
01-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Many thanks to all of you. I have made the call to Dish Network. I have decided to get RTN along with the 120 package. Will run $75 a month for first year $90 mo after that. Not bad considering I pay about $82 for cable right now and only get TVG and alot of stuff I have never watched. So for $7 a month savings for the first year I will get TVG, HRTV, RTN and the ESPN's... So I am very happy. I had not even thought before hand of getting RTN, I thought it was like $99 a month alone + qualifying package. Very happy to see the price at half that. Thanks again to all for the help.

redshift1
01-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Many thanks to all of you. I have made the call to Dish Network. I have decided to get RTN along with the 120 package. Will run $75 a month for first year $90 mo after that. Not bad considering I pay about $82 for cable right now and only get TVG and alot of stuff I have never watched. So for $7 a month savings for the first year I will get TVG, HRTV, RTN and the ESPN's... So I am very happy. I had not even thought before hand of getting RTN, I thought it was like $99 a month alone + qualifying package. Very happy to see the price at half that. Thanks again to all for the help.

http://www.beaufortobserver.net/Articles-c-2010-12-30-249816.112112-DirectTV-agrees-to-issue-refunds-and-change-its-way-of-doing-business.html

Southieboy
01-03-2011, 05:24 AM
As of this week, HRTV is no longer showing evening racing.

duncan04
01-03-2011, 02:00 PM
As of this week, HRTV is no longer showing evening racing.

Wow really?? That sucks

Tom
01-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Customer service - how nice. :ThmbDown:

toussaud
01-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Wow really?? That sucks
what the heck? I just looked at the schedule too, it's true. Why?

Man when I first got hrtv in 2007, I would get home at like 11pm and it would be nothing but aussie racing utnil like 1am. I loved that. Man now you can't get racing on Tuesday, or night.

TVG shows racing at least 12 hours a day, HRTV shows 8 hours a day of racing, 6 days a week. it's quite pathetic.

igamingtony
01-31-2011, 07:46 PM
If you go with Dish and RTN, www.propicktv.com (http://www.propicktv.com) aka www.propickracing.com (http://www.propickracing.com) will reimburse your monthly bill at a 5 or 7% rate when you wager with them. Decent track list - no Magna or CDI; but since the current ADW track offerings almost make you have multiple ADW's might as well bet Tampa and the others and get the rebate from them.