PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow! Aqueduct's Attendance Explodes!

Zman179
01-01-2011, 11:42 PM
(according to equibase.com)

Saturday's Attendance: 16,129
Track Handle: $1,294,406
Total Handle: $9,412,496

Unreal numbers for an Inner Dirt day.

cj
01-01-2011, 11:45 PM
With the decline of Gulfstream, the inner dirt is probably the best racing around in the winter day in and day out.

pandy
01-01-2011, 11:45 PM
I always thought that NYRA would do better without OTB. In fact, they did very well before it. OTB was never really a partner, it was competing for the same customers.

salty
01-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Its amazing what happens when it is a really nice day, saturday, new years, and you just got hit with a bad snowstorm. I mean what else is going on outside at the beginning of january.

Southieboy
01-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Calendar promotion.

CBedo
01-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I always thought that NYRA would do better without OTB. In fact, they did very well before it. OTB was never really a partner, it was competing for the same customers.$80.25 per person on track....

Zman179
01-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Ah, the calendar promotion certainly would bloat the number. Still, almost $1.3 million on track is pretty darn good.

Robert Goren
01-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Calendar promotion.Your sarcasm is worthy of Tom.

Robert Goren
01-02-2011, 09:28 AM
I always thought that NYRA would do better without OTB. In fact, they did very well before it. OTB was never really a partner, it was competing for the same customers.Just think, there are people across the river in New Jersey who think OTBs are the answer to their problems.

misscashalot
01-02-2011, 09:31 AM
With the decline of Gulfstream, the inner dirt is probably the best racing around in the winter day in and day out.

Its always been the best, and for a seasoned capper it is truly a money making season. And this year there is no lack of good racing stock. Come on in, the waters fine.

andymays
01-02-2011, 09:37 AM
I think most people like to see two turn dirt racing. I know I do.

misscashalot
01-02-2011, 09:43 AM
you said it. they're really exciting and very competitive. :ThmbUp:

Ocala Mike
01-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Reported attendance is probably double the number of warm bodies actually there. TURNSTILE FLIPPING; people who want extra calendars from the giveaway pay two or three times, and are counted redundantly.

Ocala Mike

titans1127
01-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Not bad since the calendar promotion wasn't free. It was $2 each with a 5 calendar limit. I guess with free admission they can't just give them away for nothing.

NTamm1215
01-02-2011, 10:23 AM
$80.25 per person on track....

As opposed to $63.77 on 1/1/10.

Reported attendance is probably double the number of warm bodies actually there. TURNSTILE FLIPPING; people who want extra calendars from the giveaway pay two or three times, and are counted redundantly.

Ocala Mike

The calendars were not free. Most importantly, the total handle was terrific despite being down over a million dollars in terms of ITW. Aqu handle was also over a million dollars more than SA.

Jasonm921
01-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Saturdays have averaged 200 bucks wagered per person so if that holds true my guess, is that it was closer to 6500 real bodies. Still fine and every week shows more and more improvement. I have not been a NYRA fan but they have been hustling the past month or so, so I give them credit for that. They have a new promotion bet a hundred...get a hundred, for new members of their players card. http://www.nyra.com/aqueduct/stories/Jan012011.shtml

My feeling is this. If they make more money by me betting through them then I'll do that because I enjoy being at the track and I want to see capital improvements. If you bet big enough where "rewards" are apart of your earnings for the year....go where ever is financially wise for you.

The Hawk
01-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Just think, there are people across the river in New Jersey who think OTBs are the answer to their problems.

Yeah, why would you need an entity that generates millions of dollars in revenues?

Jasonm921
01-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Because unless the track operates it...its automatically in the hole for millionsof dollars in union contracts, upper management salary and rent. That's revenue that is placed in the loss column.

fmolf
01-02-2011, 11:10 AM
nyra must be doing well with their phone accounts.

The Hawk
01-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Because unless the track operates it...its automatically in the hole for millionsof dollars in union contracts, upper management salary and rent. That's revenue that is placed in the loss column.

Automatically? No, that's not necessarily true. It was true in the case of NY, but it doesn't have to be constructed in the same way.

MickJ26
01-02-2011, 02:12 PM
I was there. Between the snow drifts and the calendar promotion, I had to park almost down by the main track chute. At least half the cars had out of state plates too. All the Sam machines had lines of at least 4 or 5 deep.

Jasonm921
01-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Automatically? No, that's not necessarily true. It was true in the case of NY, but it doesn't have to be constructed in the same way.

Yes...if it is a separate entity they have separate over head. Business 101.

Zman179
01-02-2011, 03:07 PM
I was there. Between the snow drifts and the calendar promotion, I had to park almost down by the main track chute. At least half the cars had out of state plates too. All the Sam machines had lines of at least 4 or 5 deep.

Half the cars have out-of-state plates because 90% of them are commiting insurance fraud. I'd say that a good 15% of automobiles in NYC have North Carolina, Virginia, or Florida plates.

Jasonm921
01-02-2011, 03:08 PM
I heard home depot is getting the boot. Anyone know if that is true? Parking is getting a bit more challenging now....never thought I would be saying this.

NJ Stinks
01-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Just think, there are people across the river in New Jersey who think OTBs are the answer to their problems.

First, there is no 5% surcharge on winning bets at OTB's in NJ as opposed to NJCOTB's.

Secondly, there are no OTB's planned to be built or already operating just down the street from Monmouth or the Meadowlands.

The OTB in Woodbridge, NJ is a cash cow. It's an asset to NJ horseracing for sure.

The Hawk
01-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Yes...if it is a separate entity they have separate over head. Business 101.

No sh*t. That's the point.

pandy
01-02-2011, 06:25 PM

I think OTBS would help the Meadowlands, as long as they run it. New York was the first to put in off track betting and they got it all wrong.

Jasonm921
01-02-2011, 06:46 PM
No sh*t. That's the point.

If they do it ...do it right. Since the government will have it's hand in it..I am skeptical it will work.

tzipi
01-02-2011, 11:02 PM

Ocala Mike

There's no entrence fee Mike. Hasn't been for years. How are all these people "PAYING two or three times" at the turnstiles for multiple calenders??

They flip the turnstiles with multiple admission to get multiple calenders? For years you walk in once and you can purchase up to 5 calenders for $2 a piece. Every year someone tries to rain on the Aqueduct attendance thread with this post.

classhandicapper
01-04-2011, 10:44 AM
There is clearly still a role for OTBs/simulcast centers that would be mutually beneficial to all involved. It's just can't be run by corrupt or incompetent people and politicians have to be as far removed from the equation as possible because the are the extreme of both corruption and incompetence.

Robert Goren
01-04-2011, 10:51 AM
I think OTBS would help the Meadowlands, as long as they run it. New York was the first to put in off track betting and they got it all wrong.Why would you think that people who can't run race track could run an OTB? Just asking.

joanied
01-05-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm happy as can be that the Big A is doing so well...and hope Belmont's meet also runs huge...
I was working at Belmont when they first opened the OTB's, so I know they had a huge influence on dropping attendence at the tracks...IMO, OTB was the ruination of on track attendence...screw OTB!!