PDA

View Full Version : It's the Law!

falconridge
01-01-2011, 08:15 PM
For those who wouldn’t dream of ringing in any year without gorging themselves on a feast of slapstick antics, American Movie Classics has laid out a trencherman’s dream: an all-you-can-eat (or all-you-can-stand) buffet of The Three Stooges™—everything from AAM (Amalgamated Association of Morons [Local 6 7/8]), a labor union established for the express purpose of protecting professional pie-pitchers; to the Zero Ice & Coal Co., a Stooge-owned enterprise specializing in domestic climate control (cf. “An Ache in Every Stake” [1941]).* Before we belly up to the bar, however, it were best that we recognize and scrupulously observe what Robert Kurson, preeminent Stooge scholar and part-time pachinko machine repairman, has codified, in his monumental The Official Three Stooges™ Encyclopedia: the Ultimate Knucklehead’s Guide to Stoogedom (Chicago: Contemporary Books; © 1998), as Immutable Stooge Laws. Ignore these (as inviolable as any of Sir Isaac Newton’s) at your peril, for even the tiniest breach exposes the parallel universe that prevails on Planet Stooge to any and all manner of non-Stoogean chaos (e.g., Stooge-launched whipped-cream missiles failing to find the kissers of Symona Boniface, Bud Jamison, or Vernon Dent).

Consider if you will, fellow Stoogeniks, these Immutable Stooge Laws governing the care and handling of ammunition, firearms, and other weaponry:

“Immutable Stooge Law #29: Bullets fired carelessly into the sky will always hit and drop a succulent turkey, duck, or other ready-to-eat delicacy at the Stooges’ feet.” (Gurson, p. 97; cf. “Back to the Woods” [1937: Curly’s clumsy discharge of his old English muzzleloader delivers a prize tom] and “Boobs in Arms” [1940], wherein the Lads, during what should have been a routine manual-of-arms drill at army boot camp, inadvertently empty their government-issue rifles, serendipitously scoring three on-the-wing mallards.)

“Immutable Stooge Law #40: The Stooges will attempt to confirm that unloaded guns are indeed unloaded by pointing the barrel at vital parts of each other’s anatomy and pulling the trigger.” (op.cit., p. 114) –and its natural corollary …

“Immutable Stooge Law #41: All guns believed by the Stooges to be unloaded will be loaded. In Baby Sitters Jitters [1951], Shemp relies too heavily on a woman’s assurance that a pistol is empty and confidently pulls the trigger, leaving an unbecoming bullet trace along the scalp of a suddenly furious Moe.” (Ibid)

On human anatomy, physiognomy, and kinestheology:

“Immutable Stooge Law #18: After a Stooge’s foot is continuously twisted by Moe, that foot will unwind at dizzying speeds like an airplane propeller (various films).” (op. cit., p. 77)

On Stoogean mixology and other chemistry:

“Immutable Stooge Law #8: Cocktails mixed by the Stooges will smoke, flame, and burn holes in wooden tables, but will still be enjoyed by those who drink them.” (op. cit., pp. 59-60)

“Immutable Stooge Law #27: If there are chemicals anywhere in the vicinity, the Stooges will discover and immediately mix them in an unconventional container such as a boot.” (op. cit., p. 96)

“Immutable Stooge Law #28: All chemicals mixed by the Stooges will have the effect of burning through whatever they touch, including floor boards, steel prison bars, and the human body.” (ibid.)

On Stoogean manifestations of Terpsichore:

“Immutable Stooge Law #25: When one Stooge has injured his foot and is hopping about in pain, the other Stooges will clap, stomp, and otherwise create an [impromptu] klezmer dance.” (ibid.)

Mark ye well, fellow Stoogeniks: next time you’re at a loss to explain the world’s greatest comedy team’s apparent disregard for the parameters of time, space, and good sense, remember: it’s the law!

[signed]

I. Fleecem, Esq.
CFO and Senior Partner
Skin & Flint Finance Corporation

*Now playing: “Violent is the Word for Curly” [1938], in which the boys bypass academia’s hoary old tenure system by rising, in less time than it takes to screen a one-reel Columbia short subject, from gas station attendants to full professors at prestigious Mildew College—where, as any Stoogenik knows, the lads teach coeds their A-B-C’s with the aid of a jazzy little number called “Swingin’ the Alphabet.”

bigmack
01-01-2011, 09:17 PM
pP3VAtGLQms

Did Larry actually play the violin? Sointly!

As a child, Larry's left arm was badly burned from acid used by his father in the jewelry business. Larry required immediate attention, and a skin graft was done on his arm. Larry's doctors recommended that he be given violin lessons as a form of therapy. Playing the violin was supposed to strengthen his damaged arm muscles. Larry's skill as a violinist became so impressive that eventually he began to play professionally. Larry played in local theater amateur nights usually taking top prize.

Interestingly enough, along with being a violin player he also was a boxer. Larry earned money as a light weight fighter. Later on he would develop an act in which he would do a Russian dance while playing the violin.

ArlJim78
01-01-2011, 09:26 PM
That's good stuff.

There must also be a law in there that requires that at any party or social gathering attended by the Stooges that there will be a minimum of 10 custard pies per person on hand, in order to have ample ammunition for the inevitable pie fight.

also that whenever a pie fight does occur, that every pie thrown will land directly on the face of the intended target, even if they are on the other side of the room.

falconridge
01-01-2011, 09:47 PM
There must also be a law in there that requires that at any party or social gathering attended by the Stooges that there will be a minimum of 10 custard pies per person on hand, in order to have ample ammunition for the inevitable pie fight.
Just give me a few minutes to pore through my law books, and I'm sure I'll be able to identify the specific statute along with several illustrative precedents. Meanwhile, here's another, covering oft-visited Stooge circumstances (sorry; make that soycumstances):

"Immutable Stooges Law #92: When life and limb depend on avoiding detection, the Stooges will turn to a Santa Claus suit as their disguise of choice. In Wee Wee Monsieur, the Stooges are shipped to inhospitable Tsimiss as members of the Foreign Legion. The enemy there is rough and ruthless, yet sufficiently untrained to recognize the stealthy use of the Santa Claus suit by undercover operatives Moe, Larry, and Curly." (Gurson, op.cit, p. 189)

sandpit
01-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Today they were driving some old panel truck emblazoned with their names for their Fresh Fish Company:

Larry Hook, Moe Line and Curly Sinker

Just hilarious and a great way to start off 1-1-11.

falconridge
01-01-2011, 10:57 PM
I have it! (vide infra)

"Immutable Stooges Law #59: Pie will be served at all society parties, balls, and other quaint get-togethers attended by the Stooges. In Slippery Silks [1936], Mr. [Morgan] Morgan [played by the great Vernon Dent] discovers that his enemies, the Stooges, are fitting Mrs. Morgan [the no-less-great Symona Boniface] for a custom-designed dress. With rage in the room and pie on the plates, Mrs. Morgan will soon see the dark side of her strong-armed husband." (Kurson, pp. 138-9)

Yes, AJ, present-day foodies do have a hard time accounting for the strange imbalance of the fare typically served up at Stooge-attended and -catered banquets. A repast might begin with caviar or pâté de foie gras (or sometimes, especially when Curly's ready for a tuck-in, live oyster soup), followed by entrees of squab or grouse, but don't look for the kind of high-tone confections you'd expect to see on the dessert tray of a five-star restaurant--no Peaches Melba, no baked Alaska, no crème brulée. Cream and custard pies are considered the ultimate in haute cuisine on Planet Stooge.

Rookies
01-01-2011, 11:06 PM
My son and I just spent an hour and a half laughing our asses off watching a few !

As an aside, saw them in 1963 live in TO.:ThmbUp:

Tom
01-02-2011, 12:32 AM
The best comedy ever!
I never get tired of watching them - even though I know the lines by heart!
I bought a book about them by Moe - it was very good - lots of behind the scenes stuff.
g5j8Jioan1w&feature=related

Tom
01-02-2011, 12:37 AM
EuTzsi6WT6Q&feature=related

BillW
01-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Classic stuff!

The 3 Stooges bible ...

http://threestooges.net/

BillW
01-02-2011, 01:01 AM
About 30 years ago I was in the technical side of the medical monitoring biz. I was working on site at Luthern General in Northbrook. When a gullible switchboard operator paged "Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard" - I thought I was going to die :lol: .

cj's dad
01-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Has anyone here ever met a woman that thinks the stooges are funny???

Every one I have met or been associated with hates them !!

bigmack
01-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Robert Kurson, preeminent Stooge scholar and part-time pachinko machine repairman,
I can't find validation of his pachinko skills. Ain't he a pettifogger?

I note he penned another title. Looks like another humdinger.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515M8Z84QFL._SS500_.jpg

Pell Mell
01-02-2011, 06:26 AM
Has anyone here ever met a woman that thinks the stooges are funny???

Every one I have met or been associated with hates them !!

Too violent for women :lol:

Shemp Howard
01-02-2011, 08:49 AM
"There's a thousand reasons why I shouldn't drink. I just can't think of one right now."

Heeb eeb eeb eeb eeb eeb eeb eeb.!