PDA

View Full Version : Stand alone program for importing Bris single files to excel

griz
12-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Is there a program for getting Bris single date files into Excel other than
Infotran utility program for comma delimited files from Bris or
Handicapper’s DataGrabber from Sports-bet-advantage

I used DataGrabber for years, but I had a complete computer crash Christmas Eve and lost everything I had. One of the last things that I tried was the Norton Eraser the severe malware tool~it pointed to Datagrabber as my problem~I didn’t erase it because I had been using it for years. Any way now I am on a new computer with Windows 7’

So are there any simple programs to get the Bris for comma delimited files into Excel. Where you don’t have to be a programmer or know MS dos to use it?
Oh Yeah Happy New Year

eddie10
01-01-2011, 01:26 AM
Just download files to excel and open.follow directions.

Capper Al
01-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Just download files to excel and open.follow directions.

This only works for Excel 2007 or later.

hcap
01-01-2011, 09:00 AM
AllData batch will do it in all versions of Excel

http://alldataexcel.weebly.com/alldata-ni-batch---download.html

There is also a Database to work in conjunction

http://alldataexcel.weebly.com/alldatabase.html

And a blog

http://alldataexcel.freeforums.org/alldata-f3.html?sid=eabb2d31253e11dff245956bc949d04d

Tom
01-01-2011, 10:55 AM
All good stuff!
Lots of good work by these guys. :ThmbUp:

headhawg
01-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Good stuff, yes. It's amazing what you guys do with Excel. These are the things that make PA a great site, even though there can be some posts/threads that bring out the "undesirables".

griz
01-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Hey hcap,
Thanks for your reply. I am thinking about downloading and trying of AllData NI Batch this weekend. Should it be good to go with Windows 7 (32 bit) & Excel 2010 ?

hcap
01-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Hey hcap,
Thanks for your reply. I am thinking about downloading and trying of AllData NI Batch this weekend. Should it be good to go with Windows 7 (32 bit) & Excel 2010 ?We are now recommending that although both programs will work with 2007, to use pre-2007 versions of Excel.

I have not tried 2010 and would be very very interested in your results. According to Microsoft, many of the problems in 2007 have been addressed and fixed. Both ALLData Batch and ALLDataBase will run slower using Excel 2007. I am running Excel 2003 and 2007, Windows 7 64 bit. Most operations, not all, are slower in 2007.

GameTheory
01-08-2011, 04:06 PM
OpenOffice Calc (free) supports *most* Excel macros written in VBA, but you have to specifically enable the feature. (Tools > Options > Load/Save > VBA Properties, check "executable code")

Anybody tried that?

hcap
01-08-2011, 04:34 PM
I use the advanced filter in Excel for much of what I do. Don't know if there is an equivalent in Calc. I will give it a try.

hcap
01-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Ok downloaded the latest version of OpenOffice Calc Might work. Some stuff is similar. Will not run my code that calls the advanced filter. Looks close to MS Excel but but I would have to relearn simple commands.

Range("A16").CurrentRegion.AdvancedFilter

Will not run. I am sure there are equivalents. Any one know how Calc compares to Excel performance wise? Any one use filtering in Calc. In Excel 2003 for instance a table 60 columns by 15,000 rows can be queried using multiple criteria ( 50+) in a few seconds.

griz
01-08-2011, 05:39 PM
From what I think I understand from your answer~your not completely sure if your program is compatible. I had a total computer crash on Christmas Eve and had to buy a new computer~I am trying to be very careful about what I put on this new one.

Thanks anyway

headhawg
01-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Not being compatible just means that the program won't run. It's not likely to do damage to your computer.

A total computer crash? I'm not sure what that means but the typical computer user should probably find a tech savvy friend or relative (a real one; not someone who thinks that they are) and save themselves some headaches and money.

hcap
01-08-2011, 05:52 PM
griz,

It is compatible and will run. Question is performance. If you already have Excel 2010 why not try it?

But I understand there is a 32 bit version of Excel 2010 and a 64 bit. That for sure is a compatibility issue. But as headhawg pointed out your machine is safe.

hcap
01-09-2011, 07:19 AM
OpenOffice Calc (free) supports *most* Excel macros written in VBA, but you have to specifically enable the feature. (Tools > Options > Load/Save > VBA Properties, check "executable code")

Anybody tried that?Leaves alot to be desired. Will not run any but the simplest of macros in ALLData batch or Database. Could s possibly work by re=writing the code, but that is quite a bit of work. VBA is not campanile with Calc right out of the box

GameTheory
01-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Leaves alot to be desired. Will not run any but the simplest of macros in ALLData batch or Database. Could s possibly work by re=writing the code, but that is quite a bit of work. VBA is not campanile with Calc right out of the boxOh well, just throwing it out there...

griz
01-11-2011, 10:49 AM
I can get them into Excel 2010~but they are not in a form that i can use. I,ve have tried every which way with the import wizzard.

dukeofperl
01-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Is there a program for getting Bris single date files into Excel other than ......................

You might try CSVtrimmer which can be freely downloaded here ...

http://members.cox.net/dukeofperl/ct.html (http://members.cox.net/dukeofperl/ct.html)

and the support thread is located here ...

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63737&highlight=csvtrimmer

Although the intent of CSVtrimmer is not just importing bris files to Excel, it will do that quite easily (and more).

CAVEAT: It's been a while since I've updated CSVtrimmer so it may be missing whatever BRIS fields have been added over the past year. Also your mileage will vary depending on the version of Excel. More ... There is no support at this time for Open Office but if an interest is shown in that product, I will add that functionality.

griz
01-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Is CSVtrimmer a DOS program?

dukeofperl
01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Is CSVtrimmer a DOS program?

It's a win-32 GUI app