PDA

View Full Version : DRF Formulator 4.1 software version problem

qhrick
12-31-2010, 07:46 PM
I use formulator 4.1, software version ( not the web version )

My main use is the export feature, which is apparently still not available in the web version

The problem is there are no files posted past today, Dec 31
The web version has the usual files available a few days in advance

My email to drf is unanswered at this point

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Tom
12-31-2010, 07:51 PM
I think they have a problem with the files not being able to process a 2011 date.

Funny how the new year sneaks up on you, huh? :rolleyes:

FiveWide
12-31-2010, 08:03 PM
I use the export feature as well and called them this morning about it. All they said was it was a known issue and to check back periodically. I called about 9:30ish this morning. I even tried changing my system date but that didn't help.

-Five

Rook
12-31-2010, 08:19 PM
I emailed them earlier today and never got a response. You have to love their customer service.:mad: Just like a few months ago when they remade their website, they find ways to add stress to their customers' lives.

cj
12-31-2010, 10:57 PM
I was told it would take at least two days and that meant today, but still no dice.

GameTheory
12-31-2010, 11:02 PM
The 2011 files are actually on the server -- I cheat and download them directly instead of through the program. But the program won't recognize them (even if you download them manually). Which means someone is actually gonna have to update the desktop version of the software if they can even locate a programmer who knows anything about it since it was abandoned years ago now. (Can it still even be downloaded? I can't find a link.)

Tom
12-31-2010, 11:13 PM
Gotta love 'em.

I have zero use for the web version - strictly use the files for the exports.
They need to talk to BRIS to figure our how to sell on line data! :lol::lol::lol:

FiveWide
12-31-2010, 11:35 PM
The 2011 files are actually on the server -- I cheat and download them directly instead of through the program. But the program won't recognize them (even if you download them manually). Which means someone is actually gonna have to update the desktop version of the software if they can even locate a programmer who knows anything about it since it was abandoned years ago now. (Can it still even be downloaded? I can't find a link.)

How were you able to manually download them?

-Five

Rook
12-31-2010, 11:50 PM
If you want to see how pathetic DRF's efforts have been, revisit this thread from nearly 4 years ago and see how DRF doesn't come remotely close to keeping their word:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34578&page=1&pp=15

Here are a few choice quotes from Marc at DRF:

"As an aside on Formulator, when we move it to the web we'll revisit the export functionalities and look to both mimic existing offerings as well as offer some better ways to do it for those interested. "

"But ultimately I think we can kind of do what we (meaning the customer) want here. The question are what fields to include in a Moss Fig CSV export product. I just want to get this right so it's meaningful for people."

"Formulator's CSV export function was started years ago and our development group has changed a bunch since then. This has evolved into a discussion of moving our CSV functionalities strictly to something one gets from our site, not with the intermediary step of utilizing a piece of software."

More than 1400 days have gone by and some of us are still waiting.:mad:

GameTheory
01-01-2011, 12:05 AM
How were you able to manually download them? Because I'm clever. Not to be coy, but it is complicated and it really doesn't matter at the moment. If they get this thing working again PM me if you are interested...

Track Collector
01-01-2011, 01:54 AM
Well that explains it. I thought it might only be with me because my annual subscription runs out either on 12/31 or 01/01. I even thought that the DRF had figured out how to cut things off precisely for each user. Silly me to give them so much credit.:rolleyes:

Steve 'StatMan'
01-01-2011, 08:40 AM

I had same problem yesterday and called, similar results. I had uninstalled and wanted to reinstall, hoping there was already a fix (nope-not yet.) But they were able to show me where I could download it - it had changed again. Go into the Download Classic PPS screen, and near the top there are a couple lines of options to go to various products and items. At the far right is the option Formulator 4.1. Click on that, it directs to the download program. I've got it back on my laptop and running, but of course no files for 2011 yet.

Tom
01-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Can you get them from Wiki Leaks? :rolleyes:

Seriously, it is easier to get CIA documents than things at DRF.com - very scrambled website.

classhandicapper
01-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Well, I'm in the same boat as the rest of you, but I don't feel so bad about it. With so many sharp handicappers out of commission, maybe I can find some value using non high tech methods. :lol:

FiveWide
01-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Can you get them from Wiki Leaks? :rolleyes:

Seriously, it is easier to get CIA documents than things at DRF.com - very scrambled website.

Too true!! Haven't been a big fan of the re-design.

-Five

highnote
01-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Maybe this is DRF's way of participating in the Santa Anita boycott. If none of the computerized bettors have data how can they bet?

Will be interesting to see if handle is affected by this.

Gotta love the racing industry. :rolleyes: :faint:

I emailed them earlier today and never got a response. You have to love their customer service.:mad: Just like a few months ago when they remade their website, they find ways to add stress to their customers' lives.

Rook
01-01-2011, 12:51 PM
If DRF were even a marginally competent company, as soon as they discovered this problem, they should have created a page where Formulator 4.1 users could download the csv files directly. An email should have been sent out to customers alerting them to the issue and what they had done as a temporary fix.

Instead, nothing gets done and emails to customer service are ignored.:mad:

GameTheory
01-01-2011, 01:03 PM
If DRF were even a marginally competent company, as soon as they discovered this problem, they should have created a page where Formulator 4.1 users could download the csv files directly. An email should have been sent out to customers alerting them to the issue and what they had done as a temporary fix.

Instead, nothing gets done and emails to customer service are ignored.:mad:They probably can't export them either!

Plus the program has options to export in 10 different ways, so what's the standard?

Anyway, was just playing around with the files -- changed the dates, etc. It doesn't work -- it messes up the decryption (the files are encrypted, password-protected) so it will "see" them but it just crashes if you try to open it. (Try changing the date in the filename of one of your working 2010 files to see what happens -- be prepared to go into the task manager to "kill process".)

So, no workaround here -- they've gotta fix it. I would suggest everyone who uses exports only to go cancel or threaten to cancel, demand your money back, etc...

Rook
01-01-2011, 01:33 PM
They probably can't export them either!

I'm sure they can't with 4.1 but they still have their databases. Doesn't anyone working for them have a clue? It should only take an hour or two to line up the fields and create the csv file structures.

Plus the program has options to export in 10 different ways, so what's the standard?

There are only two standards. Pre 4.1 and Exact 4.0. The others are Custom settings. Whether they include column headings or not is a small workaround compared to the current nightmare they've created for their customers

GameTheory
01-01-2011, 02:14 PM
I would imagine that if they are nearly done with the web version of exports (which it doesn't seem like because it has been saying "coming soon" forever) they will just abandon this version totally and try to get that up ASAP. As far as a stop-gap of just providing exported downloads, they would probably have to hear that from a boatload of complainers before they thought about it. It might be that most people who don't use the web version just want the program back to look at PPs (after all, you can't use the web version offline, right?) and don't care much about exports. In which case they would focus their efforts on getting it working again as-is.

Who knows? They probably won't be back to work until Monday anyway...

cj
01-01-2011, 02:20 PM
I would imagine that if they are nearly done with the web version of exports (which it doesn't seem like because it has been saying "coming soon" forever) they will just abandon this version totally and try to get that up ASAP. As far as a stop-gap of just providing exported downloads, they would probably have to hear that from a boatload of complainers before they thought about it. It might be that most people who don't use the web version just want the program back to look at PPs (after all, you can't use the web version offline, right?) and don't care much about exports. In which case they would focus their efforts on getting it working again as-is.

Who knows? They probably won't be back to work until Monday anyway...

I was told the web version time table for exports is three months.

I think a problem with offering comma delimited versions as a temporary fix might be the many various ways you can export via Formulator. They offer single and multiple file options, with and without headers, and even custom versions. You can do with or without headers, and use different extensions. I still think it is possible, and should be done, just wondering out loud why it hasn't happened.

Rook
01-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I've contacted my two main ADWs to let them know what's going on. DRFs incompetence is costing me money, the ADWs money and the tracks money. Hopefully, everyone who is affected by this will do the same so that enough of a storm is created to light a fire under their butts.

xtb
01-01-2011, 02:50 PM
I received this email from DRF on Sept. 7, 2007 about being a beta tester.

"Not only do we need help with Formulator beta testing, but we specifically need help with the testing of a new "database center" that we're developing. We're going to take the export functionality in Formulator and enhance it, and offer a variety of existing and new feeds for database guys such as yourself, and we need extensive feedback on what will make the database center ideal for customers. We'll be back in touch with you this Fall to get the testing going, and you'll be comped with a DRF subscription in exchange for the work. "

Snag
01-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Just tried to get the downloads today and it's still not fixed.

Maybe this is a DRF budget cut and we can only get PDF's now.

GameTheory
01-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Just tried to get the downloads today and it's still not fixed.

Maybe this is a DRF budget cut and we can only get PDF's now.
The problem is in the program itself, so until they provide a new one no point in checking. I repeat that the DATA FILES ARE THERE, ready to be downloaded. The program just can't see them -- filters them out. The program must be replaced.

cj
01-02-2011, 01:36 PM
The problem is in the program itself, so until they provide a new one no point in checking. I repeat that the DATA FILES ARE THERE, ready to be downloaded. The program just can't see them -- filters them out. The program must be replaced.

I was told last night they are working on posting the export files for download.

highnote
01-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Glad to hear they're working on a solution. This must have caught them by surprise. I don't understand why a simple year change would cause problems.

When I write software I make sure it's good for at least 1,000 years.

xtb
01-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Glad to hear they're working on a solution. This must have caught them by surprise. I don't understand why a simple year change would cause problems.

Job security for the programmer(s).

cj
01-02-2011, 01:58 PM

When I write software I make sure it's good for at least 1,000 years.

I would guess if you write it for someone else, and they only pay you through 2010, it would only work through 2010. :)

Tom
01-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Bottom line - DRF made a commitment to its CUSTOMERS.
Whatever it takes, get it done.

No excuses are acceptable. The top management should have been in the office non-stop since the problem was identified.

That is the law of being in business, something DRF has NEVER
understood.

In the business world, DRF are incompetent children.
As well as a joke.

highnote
01-02-2011, 03:18 PM
DRF say they have a new version available for download.

http://199.115.22.73:8888/t/22273/59495460/2053/0/?u=aHR0cDovL3d3dzEuZHJmLmNvbS9mb3JtdWxhdG9yL2Zvcm1 1bGF0b3JfYWQyLmh0bWw%3d&x=3152c4fe

GameTheory
01-02-2011, 03:21 PM
DRF say they have a new version available for download.

http://199.115.22.73:8888/t/22273/59495460/2053/0/?u=aHR0cDovL3d3dzEuZHJmLmNvbS9mb3JtdWxhdG9yL2Zvcm1 1bGF0b3JfYWQyLmh0bWw%3d&x=3152c4feWow. On a Sunday no less. They've actually exceeded my (low) expectations.

cj
01-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Wow. On a Sunday no less. They've actually exceeded my (low) expectations.

So far it doesn't work with W7 despite following the instructions. I'll keep trying and see if I can figure this out. I can download cards, but not export. I haven't even bothered trying to open them yet.

highnote
01-02-2011, 03:36 PM
drf email says try compatibility mode

RE-INSTALLATION OF FORMULATOR SOFTWARE REQUIRED

Dear Formulator User:

As you may be aware, Formulator Software is not working for 2011 races. We have released a new version of Formulator Software which you will need to download in order to view races from 2011.

Installation instructions:
Uninstall your current version of Formulator. If you use notes, save your notes files to your desktop before uninstalling this version of Formulator. By default, your notes files are located here - C:\Program Files\DRF\Form41\Notes – Save a copy of the file called "drfnotes.zip" to your desktop, and after installing the new version of Formulator, replace the empty "drfnotes.zip" file with this previously saved version.

Next, download the new version of Formulator Software here

Restart your computer when prompted during the installation process.

Launch Formulator.

Important note to Windows Vista and Windows 7 users: after this installation, you may continue to experience technical issues. While we work to fix this on our end, if you are still experiencing complications, we suggest that you:
• Right click the Formulator icon and select "Run as Administrator." This is essential for those looking to export Formulator files.
• Right click the Formulator icon and select "Properties" and "Compatibility." From here, check "Run this program in compatibility mode" and select Windows 95. Click "Apply" and then click "OK."

Please email cservice@drf.com with any questions.

We apologize for these issues and are working hard to resolve this problem. Those of you who were affected by these issues will be contacted during the week with an offer for free past performances.

cj
01-02-2011, 03:37 PM
I said I followed the instructions. You can open them, but not export. The program freezes.

cj
01-02-2011, 03:44 PM
I was able to get them once, but only in the default directory. Previously, you could choose where the files were exported.

cj
01-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Lots (and I mean lots) of bugs, but I'm able to get them eventually which is better than nothing.

Currently, when I sort by date and export, it is trying to export every file regardless of date. It is hogging resources on the computer as well making everything else run very slowly, and this is a new machine with tons of RAM and tons of space.

GameTheory
01-02-2011, 04:21 PM
I would not use this program under windows 7 or vista -- the other one hardly ever worked except on XP, why should this quick fix be any different? (They warn of that as shown above.) If you have Win7 then I'd run it in a virtual XP machine and it will work much better. (Still buggy, but much more stable.)

qhrick
01-02-2011, 04:24 PM
I was able to get them once, but only in the default directory. Previously, you could choose where the files were exported.

New version seemed to work OK on XP
But I too can't specify an export directory
I vaguely recall it was a little tough/hidden specifying an export dir. before, but it appears to be impossible now??

Anyone else got this working and know how to set an export dir?

cj
01-02-2011, 04:30 PM
I would not use this program under windows 7 or vista -- the other one hardly ever worked except on XP, why should this quick fix be any different? (They warn of that as shown above.) If you have Win7 then I'd run it in a virtual XP machine and it will work much better. (Still buggy, but much more stable.)

I never had any problems with the other one on XP or W7. Maybe once in a blue moon it would hang during exporting, but that was about it.

qhrick,

The export directory used to pop up once you hit the button to actually export, but it doesn't now.

GameTheory
01-02-2011, 04:36 PM
I never had any problems with the other one on XP or W7. Maybe once in a blue moon it would hang during exporting, but that was about it.

qhrick,

The export directory used to pop up once you hit the button to actually export, but it doesn't now.I've never tried the old one on W7, but it was EXTREMELY unstable on 32-bit Vista. I figured 64-bit W7 would just be a disaster. Seriously, virtual machine.

If you use the MS virtual machine (built-in or free download with W7Pro) virtual apps can run "seamlessly" as if they are running in the W7 space but are actually in the virtual XP space, if that makes sense. (This ability is somewhat spotty depending on the app.) Or you can just use it in the virtual environment, in which case VirtualBox is a good choice too (but you need an XP CD to install for that)...

Tom
01-02-2011, 04:40 PM
OK, so now is it safe to contact them with yet another screw up?

The Winner's Books are now for PARX instead of PHA - so the file is empty.
All the PHA data is gone.

Duh.

Is there no bottom to their incompetence.
First rule of any kind of change - figure out everything that will be affected and how. That is business 101.

cj
01-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I've never tried the old one on W7, but it was EXTREMELY unstable on 32-bit Vista. I figured 64-bit W7 would just be a disaster. Seriously, virtual machine.

If you use the MS virtual machine (built-in or free download with W7Pro) virtual apps can run "seamlessly" as if they are running in the W7 space but are actually in the virtual XP space, if that makes sense. (This ability is somewhat spotty depending on the app.) Or you can just use it in the virtual environment, in which case VirtualBox is a good choice too (but you need an XP CD to install for that)...

I just looked at it and I have Home Premium 64 bit, so I'm not eligible. Not sure this is worth upgrading for $199.

Tom,

I noticed that as well. BRIS has similar issues if you look at trainer and jockey meet records now for "Parx". They are all blank. The whole thing is just so stupid. You can find Philly Park at Simulcast Daily though, just change the address bar link from PRX to PHA. I also noticed CharlesTown was missing today, but it is there if you just replace the code of any of the tracks with CT.

Tom
01-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks CJ, I was just looking for CT, too.
Also, there is a new track? Cameraro?
Not on DRF, but BRIS has results.....is this new or a rename?
Never heard of it.

I also notice that in the print Sim WEEKLY, they have very few track in the WB section any more. That subscription just became history. DRF has no clue that people buy this stuff for a reason, not their whims of what to put in it. Very poorly run outfit, DRF. I think Lonnie is the only one there with a brain. He must get lonely with no human contact all day long! :rolleyes::D

cj
01-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks CJ, I was just looking for CT, too.
Also, there is a new track? Cameraro?
Not on DRF, but BRIS has results.....is this new or a rename?
Never heard of it.

I think that is Puerto Rico. I seem to remember reading about how they routinely kill horses there that aren't competitive.

Tom
01-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Wow!
I guess I won't support that one!

GameTheory
01-02-2011, 06:34 PM
I just looked at it and I have Home Premium 64 bit, so I'm not eligible. Not sure this is worth upgrading for $199.
Oh well. VirtualBox is great as well, and preferable than the MS version. If you have an old XP version that you retired when upgrading to W7, install it as a VM. (As long as it isn't still installed and running somewhere, or your working version will get deactivated when you activate the re-install.) I've got 3 of 'em that I find useful for all sorts of stuff...

cj
01-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Oh well. VirtualBox is great as well, and preferable than the MS version. If you have an old XP version that you retired when upgrading to W7, install it as a VM. (As long as it isn't still installed and running somewhere, or your working version will get deactivated when you activate the re-install.) I've got 3 of 'em that I find useful for all sorts of stuff...

Yeah, I have one on my old laptop that I don't use.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-02-2011, 07:39 PM
I got my Vista system to work with the new program this afternoon/tonight.(!) The regular Formulator Vs. Vista problems are still there, of course, but I was able to eventually get all the data and the export done. I did have the problem with it exporting every file in my download directory (had over 500 from past few months.) I got smart though and cancelled out of that, and built a new directory and moved all my stored formulator downloads out of my regular Formulator download file. Then when I went back in to export the files, it only had the 4 files I wanted to export, and they look fine.

Thanks DRF Staff, I was upset about the problem but am glad you got us an update so we could get through for now, at least with the exports (hopefully others on here will have a better experience.) For what it's worth, I downloaded the new install program after 4:00 pm today (1/2/11).

rcapper
01-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Is there a quick way to figure out if a Racecard was downloaded as Formulator Basic or Formulator 4?

BTW, there are going to have to release v4.1.7 soon to fix all the bugs in 4.1.6. For starters, it shouldn't be exporting every card you have in the default directory.

cj
01-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Sure, open the card and see if you can look at the chart for prior races.

GameTheory
01-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Exporting them all actually sounds good to me -- I've wanted a way to batch export forever...

NY BRED
01-02-2011, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE=qhrick]I use formulator 4.1, software version ( not the web version )

My main use is the export feature, which is apparently still not available in the web version

I'm unable to log in, and tech support is not available today.

Supposedly we are part of the majority per one of the support team..

highnote
01-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Agree. I had to export one track at a time or else it would crash.

Still, that means running the export something like 50 or 60 to get all the tracks.

The main thing is that it is working! :ThmbUp:

FiveWide
01-02-2011, 09:46 PM
I installed and ran fine on XP. It exported every card in the directory like has been mentioned before. I also noticed that it exports with column headings even if you uncheck the Column Headings box so I had to go tweek my program.

-Five

cj
01-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Unchecking the column headings worked ok for me with single files.

Track Collector
01-02-2011, 11:43 PM
I followed the directions, and the program looks like it is doing something during the export process, but then nothing.

What are the file names supposed to look like before and after the export process? I tried it on both a year 2011 file and a 2010 file.

Any suggestions?

Tom
01-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Now, will DRF add 2-3 days onto your monthly or quarterly subscriptions for failure to provide service?

GameTheory
01-03-2011, 09:44 AM
I followed the directions, and the program looks like it is doing something during the export process, but then nothing.

What are the file names supposed to look like before and after the export process? I tried it on both a year 2011 file and a 2010 file.

Any suggestions?
The exports are most likely in:
C:\Program Files\DRF\Form41\Export

I think you used to be able to pick the export directory. I can't find that option.

Did everyone install over previous version? Maybe a clean install would be best?

Tom
01-03-2011, 10:11 AM
I thought that the old version would stay on your computer and go obsolete in April?

rcapper
01-03-2011, 10:20 AM
I did a clean install and I have the same bugs everyone else is having.

I had 5000+ files in my download directory, so I had to move them into a sub-directory for the program to not export all of them.

Also, with the old version I used to export to a specific directory - I can't figure out how to do that with this one. Anyone figure it out?

BTW, thanks to CJ for sharing how to identify if the file id Basic or F4.

GameTheory
01-03-2011, 10:21 AM
I thought that the old version would stay on your computer and go obsolete in April?Yeah, that's what it said, but it appeared to simply replace the executable.

GameTheory
01-03-2011, 10:24 AM
I did a clean install and I have the same bugs everyone else is having.

I had 5000+ files in my download directory, so I had to move them into a sub-directory for the program to not export all of them.

Also, with the old version I used to export to a specific directory - I can't figure out how to do that with this one. Anyone figure it out?The option used to come up right after you selected files for export, I think. In any case, I don't see it. They may have had some half-finished changes that they had abandoned when they decided they weren't going to update anymore (years ago), and now they're suddenly forced into releasing a fix. Course it was hardly stable to begin with. Are the exports at least correct?

rcapper
01-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Are the exports at least correct?

I use the Pre-4.1 Export setting and from what I have seen so far, the exported files look fine.

Track Collector
01-03-2011, 10:43 AM
The exports are most likely in:
C:\Program Files\DRF\Form41\Export

I think you used to be able to pick the export directory. I can't find that option.

Did everyone install over previous version? Maybe a clean install would be best?

Thanks Andy.

I was able to find the files and export them, but like with FiveWide, the Columns and Heading info came over even when you unchecked the box so they would not.

Unfortunately my homegrown software (written by someone else) can not handle this way, so I have to work with someone on this forum or with DRF Technical Support.

rcapper
01-03-2011, 10:49 AM
the Columns and Heading info came over even when you unchecked the box so they would not

This doesn't seem to be an issue with the Pre-4.1 setting, but I'm not sure what data it is missing versus the Formulator4 version.

Rook
01-03-2011, 10:49 AM
I use the Pre-4.1 Export setting and from what I have seen so far, the exported files look fine.
I also use the Pre-4.1 Export Settings and
the worst bug is the inclusion of the column headings even when you uncheck that box.
I don't mind opening up all seven files and removing them manually for a few days while DRF gets its act together, but if I sure hope they realize that getting a bug free version 4.17 is a priority.

Snag
01-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Now, will DRF add 2-3 days onto your monthly or quarterly subscriptions for failure to provide service?

Tom, when I called, I asked for a refund for 3 days on my monthly purchase. I was told that the request was being sent to "billing" via email. Guess I can throw that request out the window. :bang:

GameTheory
01-03-2011, 11:02 AM
I will whip up a program today to strip out the column headers.

All that actually means is removing the first row of each file?

Track Collector
01-03-2011, 11:31 AM
I will whip up a program today to strip out the column headers.

All that actually means is removing the first row of each file?

This is extremely nice of you to do.

I would send you a copy of one of the older exported files without the Column/Header info so that you can compare the two, but I have deleted them. Perhaps someone else can send you one.

FWIW, I use the Exact 4.0 settings vs. the Pre-4.1 settings.

qhrick
01-03-2011, 11:42 AM
There is a registry hack for the export directory problem if you feel comfortable with that
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Daily Racing Form\Form41\Settings\ExportDir

Not sure if this existed before I changed the registry, but when you click on EXPORT RACECARDS and the export racecard dialog box appears, the are 3 possible export settings, (pre 4.1, custom, 4.0)
I cant get pre 4.1 settings to stick, any new session defaults to custom, only fix seems to be reselecting 4.1 each time )

InsideThePylons-MW
01-03-2011, 11:59 AM
There is a registry hack for the export directory problem if you feel comfortable with that

Be very careful.

"A registry hack is a non-dangerous class 6 felony that is punishable by up to 2 years in prison." Arizona state law

GameTheory
01-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Here is link to column-header-removing program:

http://www.dvdsaurus.com/drf_fix/drfheadfix.zip

Unzip it somewhere, edit the config txt file to point to the directory where your files are exported. Then run it (or make a shortcut on your desktop and run it from there since you'll probably need it for a few days anyway). That's if you trust me completely.

If you only trust me a little bit, make a copy of your exports, and point the program to that copied directory instead.

If you don't trust me at all, don't download it. This program ALTERS your files -- overwrites the old ones with new ones -- doesn't make copies.

It will simply go through all the files in the selected directory (which it assumes are all exports, sub-directories are ignored) and deletes the header row if there is a header row. It does check to see if there is one, so that means you can run the program repeatedly safely (it won't keep taking away the top row over and over). But if there are files in there that aren't drf exports at all, who knows what will happen so make sure that's all that is in there.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! For god's sake don't use it on anything where you can't re-export in case I've made a horrible mistake, and make sure you don't point it to the correct place. But like I said, as long as it is pointing to the right place, it is safe to run it, and then re-run it if new files are placed in there without the need to move the already fixed files. If there is no header, it won't alter it. I would also make sure Formulator itself is shut-down so the files won't be locked, etc...

Broad Brush
01-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Hello All,

I have read this site for a few years and have enjoyed the posts both if I agree or disagree with them. After all: "a difference of opinion makes a horse race".

I never took the time to join until now.

I just want to thank all that posted info on this issue.

I was as stumped as the rest of you.

A simple mass email from DRF????

Anyway, thanks again.....

GameTheory
01-03-2011, 07:31 PM
...and make sure you don't point it to the correct place...Actually, you SHOULD point it to the correct place. I can't even write the disclaimer properly. Can't imagine how screwed up the program is... :confused:

Track Collector
01-03-2011, 09:31 PM
A big thank you goes out to GameTheory for writing the header remover program. Except for some problems with PRX files, which may not even be related to the DRF file problem), it looks like I am back in business.

I am one of those people who rely heavily on the programming efforts of others to be able to do what I want to do. I'm so thankful for folks like Andy who willingly share their programming skills with others.

I hope you in turn will be blessed in some way, Andy. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

The Hawk
01-03-2011, 10:49 PM
I hope you in turn will be blessed in some way, Andy. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

MVP! MVP! MVP!

Andy, you're aces. I couldn't use this advice if I wanted to, as a computer dunce, but thanks on behalf of all who benefited.

classhandicapper
01-04-2011, 10:29 AM
I found a much easier fix for this problem.

I played poker and bet on basketball yesterday instead of playing horses. Both are easier for me to win at anyway.

Seriously, if you download the new version of the program, does it kill all your existing downloads. I don't want to lose a lot the old ones and I don't want to spend time playing games with renaming various directories because of this.

cj
01-04-2011, 10:53 AM

I played poker and bet on basketball yesterday instead of playing horses. Both are easier for me to win at anyway.

Seriously, if you download the new version of the program, does it kill all your existing downloads. I don't want to lose a lot the old ones and I don't want to spend time playing games with renaming various directories because of this.

It doesn't harm any old files.

classhandicapper
01-04-2011, 11:24 AM
It doesn't harm any old files.

Thanks CJ.

I save a lot of the days when there were major stakes races and wouldn't want to lose them. That happened to me one time a few years ago and I was sick. I'm a lazy guy and don't want to deal with renaming things back and forth. I used to do that kind of thing for a living and it makes my stomach turn. :lol:

Rook
01-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Thank you GameTheory for your time saving header remover. I wish DRF had a programmer with half your skill.

classhandicapper
01-04-2011, 12:39 PM
I have the new version and have been able to download my missing files, access them, use them etc...

However, when I try to export a single file, it starts exporting everything. That's a major problem for me because I save all the back cards. So it's going to try to export hundred of cards (I download and save the PPs for multiple tracks every day).

I've seen that other people are having a similar issue.

Has anyone figured out how to export a single file?

Once I can do that, I'll worry about whether it's in the correct format.

cj
01-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Has anyone figured out how to export a single file?

Once I can do that, I'll worry about whether it's in the correct format.

Yes, move all the ones you don't want exported to a new folder before trying.

classhandicapper
01-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Yes, move all the ones you don't want exported to a new folder before trying.

I'll do that as a short term fix, but it won't really fill all my needs. I use back PPs almost every day to look up field quality. It would be a pain the neck to keep moving the downloads back and forth between folders so I can access them or limit exporting them.

This seems like a ridiculous problem for the DRF to have. It's not like it's Y2K.

cj
01-04-2011, 01:08 PM
I'll do that as a short term fix, but it won't really fill all my needs. I use back PPs almost every day to look up field quality. It would be a pain the neck to keep moving the downloads back and forth between folders so I can access them or limit exporting them.

This seems like a ridiculous problem for the DRF to have. It's not like it's Y2K.

I'm just the messenger...

FYI, you can do a lot of what you are talking about with the advanced files. Just click on a race date and get the chart, then click on any horse in the chart and see his PPs.

classhandicapper
01-04-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm just the messenger...

FYI, you can do a lot of what you are talking about with the advanced files. Just click on a race date and get the chart, then click on any horse in the chart and see his PPs.

I know you are the messenger. I was venting. ;)

Yea I do that also, but sometimes I like to look at the whole race instead of one PP at a time and sometimes the back race is too far back to get to.

cj
01-04-2011, 01:35 PM
A new version has been posted.

cj
01-04-2011, 01:49 PM
http://www1.drf.com/formulator/formulator_ad2.html

Much improved now.

rcapper
01-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Are you guys installing 417 over 416 or uninstalling?

I can't seem to uninstall 416 on Vista - throws a dll error at me. Rebooted, same problem.

netbet
01-04-2011, 04:13 PM
I've installed the latest release (4.1.7) and I can get the program to run in Windows 7.

My issue is printing...no matter what I try I can only get the 1st page to print.

cj
01-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Are you guys installing 417 over 416 or uninstalling?

I can't seem to uninstall 416 on Vista - throws a dll error at me. Rebooted, same problem.

I just installed over it. It is working on W7 64 bit for me most of the time. I haven't printed, and rarely do, so I can't help on that one.

Snag
01-04-2011, 08:48 PM
I've installed the latest release (4.1.7) and I can get the program to run in Windows 7.

My issue is printing...no matter what I try I can only get the 1st page to print.

Wow. I've uninstalled and installed 4.1.7 twice now and can't get it to run. Each time I run it from the desktop, it freezes up and I have to use Task Manager to get out of it. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

Suggestions?

netbet
01-04-2011, 08:55 PM
I am also running Windows 7 64 bit...

I did a right-click on the icon....properties...compatibility...

I checked "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 95"

Then I checked "Run this program as an administrator" under privilege level.

If anyone can help with the printing issue I'd appreciate some help....will continue to investigate tomorrow.

Wow. I've uninstalled and installed 4.1.7 twice now and can't get it to run. Each time I run it from the desktop, it freezes up and I have to use Task Manager to get out of it. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

Suggestions?

Charles54
01-05-2011, 11:09 AM
There are obviously a lot of problems with DRF, but their pricing seems good -- especially for archived data.

Given what you know know, would you use DRF as your data source if you were starting from scratch?

Thanks and sorry for interjecting somewhat off topic.

Snag
01-05-2011, 06:21 PM
There are obviously a lot of problems with DRF, but their pricing seems good -- especially for archived data.

Given what you know know, would you use DRF as your data source if you were starting from scratch?

Thanks and sorry for interjecting somewhat off topic.

Only game in town for certain numbers in Past Performances. Not really a fair question for "data source".

Track Collector
01-06-2011, 09:29 PM
I see DRF is now offering a 15% discount to those who sign up for various plans.

I had already renewed on 01/01/11, so I sent them an e-mail.

Surprise, they are crediting back my credit card the 15% difference.

Still does not excuse them for messing up, but at least they are trying. :ThmbUp:

Maryland Owner
01-06-2011, 11:04 PM
I see DRF is now offering a 15% discount to those who sign up for various plans.

I had already renewed on 01/01/11, so I sent them an e-mail.

Surprise, they are crediting back my credit card the 15% difference.

Still does not excuse them for messing up, but at least they are trying. :ThmbUp:

Who did you contact to get the rebate - in the same boat as you. Thanks for any info !

Track Collector
01-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Who did you contact to get the rebate - in the same boat as you. Thanks for any info !

I received an e-mail announcing the 15% discount. I replied to the link, which was CService2@drf.com. The response I received was from a Mike Beer (mbeer@drf.com). I suggest you contact CService2@drf.com initially. Let me know how you make out.

IRISHLADSTABLE
01-07-2011, 01:15 PM
:: Trouble viewing this message? View as Web page
:: Add drfservices@drf.com to your address book to insure delivery.

SAVE UP TO 15% ON ANNUAL PLANS

Begin the New Year with an annual plan from DRF.com, priced at up to a 15% discount if you order by Wednesday, January 12.

Enjoy a 15% discount on the Annual unlimited card plan, a 10% discount on the Annual 120 and 240 card plans, and a 5% discount on the Annual 60 card plan. These discounts apply to Classic and Formulator Deluxe PPs.

Click on any link below for more information on a specific plan, or click here to see a list of all annual plans.

CLASSIC ANNUAL PLANS

Number of Cards Regular Price Sale Price Price Per Card
Unlimited $999.95 $849.95 $.23 *
240 $375.95 $335.95 $1.40
120 $234.95 $209.95 $1.75
60 $119.95 $113.95 $1.90

DELUXE ANNUAL PLANS

Number of Cards Regular Price Sale Price Price Per Card
Unlimited $1,249.95 $1,059.95 $.29 *
240 $596.95 $534.95 $2.23
120 $355.95 $319.95 $2.66
60 $179.95 $170.95 $2.85
*Price Per Card estimate for Unlimited Plans assumes 10 cards/day.

Please email cservice2@drf.com with any questions.

OPT OUT: To no longer receive DRF.com promotional e-mails: Go here and sign in. Click "Email Preferences" and then uncheck the box for "I would like to receive a monthly e-newsletter plus special offers via email from Daily Racing Form," then click "Submit" to save your changes. Please allow up to 7 business days to be removed from the list.

Copyright © 2011 Daily Racing Form, LLC - 708 3rd Avenue, 12th Floor, NY, NY 10017

Snag
01-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Did anyone get the new version to print more than one page? If so, how?

Maryland Owner
01-14-2011, 02:30 PM
I received an e-mail announcing the 15% discount. I replied to the link, which was CService2@drf.com. The response I received was from a Mike Beer (mbeer@drf.com). I suggest you contact CService2@drf.com initially. Let me know how you make out.
Email sent as suggested and rebate/discount credited back to my CC - thank you for the info !

KingChas
01-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Just recieved 5 free cards expires 5/3/11.
"Due to the Formulator Fiasco".
I was pretty rough in my contacting them in the summer of 2010 with their changes during the Spa and Del Mar sessions.
So I felt a thank you response was in order this time. ;)

Tom
03-25-2011, 10:50 PM

I just downloaded the latest Form4.1 so I could do Dubai...and all of my old files are now gone! Not a trace of them anywhere. What a moron I was to even consider patronizing the dipsticks at DRF again!
I had a lot of files from a few years. the phone call I am about to make will NOT be pretty.......

jeebus1083
03-26-2011, 05:20 AM
While you are at it, can you ask why the Synthetic stats have not been included in the software edition? It's been what, 3 years? LOL.

Tom
03-26-2011, 09:51 AM
I hold no hope whatsoever DRF will have a good answer to either question.
I

GameTheory
03-26-2011, 11:04 AM
I just downloaded the latest Form4.1 so I could do Dubai...and all of my old files are now gone! Not a trace of them anywhere. What a moron I was to even consider patronizing the dipsticks at DRF again!
I had a lot of files from a few years. the phone call I am about to make will NOT be pretty.......Your downloads are gone, or the exports you made from them? Where were they?

Tom
03-26-2011, 11:33 AM
All the older downloads were in the DRF folder, wherever they used to download to. Now, all that is there is the Dubai card for today. When I run F4, they do not show up. There is a text file with a list of all the old file in a race card folder. I duid a search for .drf1 files and none show anywhere. Just before the update, all of them were in the program when I clicked on open files. I had not exported all of them.

GameTheory
03-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Hopefully they are still around, but it is not pointed to the right place. I would suspect you would have mostly .drf2 files rather than .drf1 (I think drf1 are the early ones without finalized data -- missing ML or PGM numbers maybe). Would it really erase them all? (I have always downloaded to a separate folder outside of the DRF folder, but no one else mentioned this with the recent upgrades.)

cj
03-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Hopefully they are still around, but it is not pointed to the right place. I would suspect you would have mostly .drf2 files rather than .drf1 (I think drf1 are the early ones without finalized data -- missing ML or PGM numbers maybe). Would it really erase them all? (I have always downloaded to a separate folder outside of the DRF folder, but no one else mentioned this with the recent upgrades.)

Unlikely they are gone. Tom, you probably just need to change the directory. I certainly hope that is the case. I never store them in the default folder.

Tom
03-26-2011, 12:40 PM
I did a search for any .drf2 files - no dice.

Tom
03-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Whew~!
Just remembered - I backed them all up on Box.net on New Year's Day.

ceejay
03-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Tom,

My DRF downloads started going to C:\Program Files\DRF\Form41\Download using the default 4.1 installation (running XP).

GameTheory
03-26-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm gonna do an experiment on another machine and see if an install wipes out existing files. Hard to believe...

GameTheory
03-28-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm gonna do an experiment on another machine and see if an install wipes out existing files. Hard to believe...I took a Formulator 4.14 install and installed 4.17 over it -- the files in C:\Program Files\DRF\Form41\Download (the default download directory) are still there.

Longshot
03-28-2011, 06:25 PM
I just downloaded the new version for the Dubai races last weekend. I did not uninstall the old version as some said they did and all my old files along with the new ones I just downloaded are in

Program Files\DRf\Form41\Download

Keith