PDA

View Full Version : file rename utility

wilderness
12-31-2010, 05:59 AM
I've 982 files named "index" across more than 7,500 folders.

For the most part these are publications, which are contained in sub-directories in the following manner:

1) Publication Name
2) Decade
3) Year
4) Month
5) Week

I'm looking for some sort of file utility that will do the following:
1) copy the files to another location
2) rename the files adding path (Name, decade, year, month and week) to the NEW file name.

Anybody aware of such a creature?

wilderness
12-31-2010, 08:23 AM
Good Ol Dos:

XCOPY C:\source\index.* C:\NEW\index.* /S

CBedo
12-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Good Ol Dos:

XCOPY C:\source\index.* C:\NEW\index.* /SYep, as long as the command line doesn't scare you off, this is definitely the easiest way.

wilderness
12-31-2010, 01:16 PM
Yep, as long as the command line doesn't scare you off, this is definitely the easiest way.

Difficult for such a thing to "scare you off", when that's where your beginnings are.

Wonder how many people recall using something called "edlin" ?
(I did a google and a wiki page came that says Edlin is still available in 32-bit versions of NT).

CBedo
12-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Difficult for such a thing to "scare you off", when that's where your beginnings are.

Wonder how many people recall using something called "edlin" ?
(I did a google and a wiki page came that says Edlin is still available in 32-bit versions of NT).Why would that still be around, lol? Some people are REALLY afraid of change, haha. I remember using that to edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys on my old systems. My first programming classes in college were done using line editors--what a pain!.

wilderness
12-31-2010, 03:10 PM
from what I read, it stated that it was primarily being used as a script editor.

JustRalph
01-01-2011, 04:15 AM
Good Ol Dos:

XCOPY C:\source\index.* C:\NEW\index.* /S

Bravo!! I was running the syntax through my head and failing........to recall.