PDA

View Full Version : Synthetics - potentially hazardous to jockeys

horses4courses
12-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Did anyone catch the post-race interview on HRTV with A.C. Avila and Zoe Cadman after today's 7th at Santa Anita?

When asked if Omar Berrio, today's winning rider, would be riding more for him at SA, Avila stated yes. The trainer went on to say that Berrio had not ridden much on synthetics due to the discovery of some track fibers being found lodged in his throat.

After all the debate about safety for horses, little has been mentioned about riders' safety, or their opinions on the various surfaces.
Seems that veteran Berrio is no fan of the carpet........

David-LV
12-30-2010, 11:51 PM
This should be front page news on the lack of concern by the CHRB for the jockeys, track help and horses that have to breath this crap.

_________
David-LV

duncan04
12-31-2010, 12:10 AM
Did anyone catch the post-race interview on HRTV with A.C. Avila and Zoe Cadman after today's 7th at Santa Anita?

When asked if Omar Berrio, today's winning rider, would be riding more for him at SA, Avila stated yes. The trainer went on to say that Berrio had not ridden much on synthetics due to the discovery of some track fibers being found lodged in his throat.

After all the debate about safety for horses, little has been mentioned about riders' safety, or their opinions on the various surfaces.

Really?? If that is the case then why has it not been reported by anyone other than the trainer?? Berrio really isn't a top jockey in CA so......

David-LV
12-31-2010, 12:18 AM
Really?? If that is the case then why has it not been reported by anyone other than the trainer?? Berrio really isn't a top jockey in CA so......

Berrio and Avila have put over some beauties thru the years.

_________
David-LV

bigmack
12-31-2010, 12:36 AM
This should be front page news on the lack of concern by the CHRB for the jockeys, track help and horses that have to breath this crap.

While your feelings of poly are widely known I suspect jocks have had clumps of dirt in their throat over the years. Do we know that poly is any more harmful to be in someones throat than dirt?

Dahoss9698
12-31-2010, 12:49 AM
Do we know that poly is any more harmful to be in someones throat than dirt?

Seriously?

BluegrassProf
12-31-2010, 12:52 AM
While your feelings of poly are widely known I suspect jocks have had clumps of dirt in their throat over the years. Do we know that poly is any more harmful to be in someones throat than dirt?It might well depend on the nature of that dirt...if it's asbestiform and airborne, who knows. :blush:

In all seriousness, I would imagine the risk would lie not so much in the ingestion but the inhalation - outside various pharmeceuticals, inviting synthetic materials into the respiratory system is rarely a good thing.

That's not to jump full-tilt onto the carcinogen car, but hey, you never can tell...

bigmack
12-31-2010, 01:00 AM
Seriously?
I've taken this class and have had many pretzel logic rounds on this issue here.

For me, I need scientific evidence that the stuff is harmful. Not, it makes sense that it would be harmful.

Dahoss9698
12-31-2010, 01:01 AM
I've taken this class and have had many pretzel logic rounds on this issue here.

For me, I need scientific evidence that the stuff is harmful. Not, it makes sense that it would be harmful.

Would you rather eat a spoonful of dirt or a spoonful of synthethic track?

duncan04
12-31-2010, 01:05 AM
Still think making a big deal about nothing. How long have synthetic tracks been around?? Haven't heard anything said up until that interview on HRTV. And even then a trainer said something. If it was something you would think jockeys would do or say something.

bigmack
12-31-2010, 01:13 AM
Don't bother. As mentioned I've had several discussions in the past about this.

Dig around. There must be a study available by now.

Would you eat the dirt if I told you it came from Chernobyl?

cj
12-31-2010, 01:14 AM
Still think making a big deal about nothing. How long have synthetic tracks been around?? Haven't heard anything said up until that interview on HRTV. And even then a trainer said something. If it was something you would think jockeys would do or say something.

Asbestos was around a long time before anybody knew it was harmful.

As for jockeys, they can be ruled off without a reason. I'm not sure bad mouthing the surface would be wise.

duncan04
12-31-2010, 01:20 AM
Asbestos was around a long time before anybody knew it was harmful.

As for jockeys, they can be ruled off without a reason. I'm not sure bad mouthing the surface would be wise.

But they could always move their tack to a dirt track if they had concerns about their health and safety.

Dahoss9698
12-31-2010, 01:21 AM
Don't bother. As mentioned I've had several discussions in the past about this.

Dig around. There must be a study available by now.

Would you eat the dirt if I told you it came from Chernobyl?

Ask a simple question....get a deflection and another question. Yay!!!

Are they using chernobyl dirt at racetracks in America now?

bigmack
12-31-2010, 01:40 AM
Ask a simple question....get a deflection and another question. Yay!!!
Never ending with your little snarky quips. Yay!

Run along & go find some evidence like I suggested you do earlier instead of asking dopey questions.

Dahoss9698
12-31-2010, 02:17 AM
Never ending with your little snarky quips. Yay!

Run along & go find some evidence like I suggested you do earlier instead of asking dopey questions.

Looks like someone can dish out the quips, but can't take them. But I already knew that.

It's okay. You're not the only person that deflects when they know the answer will contradict their original point of view.

bigmack
12-31-2010, 02:23 AM
Looks like someone can dish out the quips, but can't take them. But I already knew that.
I can take 'em just fine.

Let's get back to your big question about EATING dirt or synth. Brilliance.

andymays
12-31-2010, 08:11 AM
This article is from 2008

http://www.racehorsetalk.com.au/index.php?topic=7569.0;prev_next=next

Excerpt:

Santa Anita is also working with Cal-OSHA to address a formal complaint by a member of the starting gate crew earlier this year that the track was releasing unhealthful fumes. Testing was performed Wednesday, Charles said, with results expected by Friday.

"We have gone to great lengths to conform to environmental standards, and I believe everything is well within limits," Charles said. "We'll have a meeting with the [starters'] union before the season, and show them the results. We are not going to have issues."

andymays
12-31-2010, 08:19 AM
Power Cap: The Prius And Synthetic Surfaces Revisted
http://gregcalabrese.blogspot.com/2010/02/prius-and-synthetic-surfaces-revisted.html

Excerpt:

Santa Anita's Pro-Ride surface is much like the Prius. Both are an outgrowth of "ethical consumerism". When California mandated that tracks install a synthetic racing surface, they did this action with nothing but moral benevolence in their hearts. This technology was supposed to mitigate the consequences of injuries and death. The Pro-Ride was a way to use technology to increase safety and make horse racing a kinder and gentler endeavor. The Pro-Ride surface has been a miserable failure. Not only are the safety benefits not been realized but this is an all-weather surface only if the weather is sunny.

andymays
12-31-2010, 08:20 AM
http://www.horseraceinsider.com/blog.php/John-Pricci/comments/02132010-as-dirt-track-looms-santa-anita-synthetics-issue-rages-on/

Excerpt:

“Thanks for your comments. Horsemen have been unable to reconcile their experiences on the synthetic surfaces with Dr. Arthur's conclusions. As you know Dr. Arthur has refused to provide the raw data underlying his conclusionary reports. As evidence of Dr. Arthur's incompetence or misfeasance, I direct your attention to his summary found on page 36 of the CHRB Annual Report, Fiscal Year 2007-2008

In Table I, Fatalities by Track & Surface, Dr. Arthur adds fatality figures from Los Alamitos (including Quarter Horse Racing) to establish his conclusion that synthetics are safer than dirt. Please note that 50 of the 77 fatalities reported on dirt are from Los Alamitos. Absent the inclusion of the Los Alamitos fatalities, the report would show 27 fatalities on dirt vs. 43 fatalities on synthetics.

Dahoss9698
12-31-2010, 12:36 PM
I can take 'em just fine.

Let's get back to your big question about EATING dirt or synth. Brilliance.

This is precisely what I am talking about. You said you wanted to see evidence that synth was more harmful to someone than dirt. That's a fair point.

So I asked for your opinion. Simple question. What would you rather eat a spoonful of dirt or synth? You refuse to answer it because I think we both know what the answer is. I can't imagine anyone would pick synth in that scenario. But, by picking dirt, you are refuting your original post. Can't do that.

So instead of just answering, you turn to me, my sarcastic quips, or acting like there is something wrong with the question. Nice deflection. Brilliant even.

Nochalk
12-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Bigmack, I think you just had your lunch handed to you by Dahoss9698.

bigmack
12-31-2010, 01:18 PM
What would you rather eat a spoonful of dirt or synth?

Does it always have to be so boorish to kick things around with you?

What does eating have to do with the respiratory system? Get it? It's a dopey question.

Deflect? Don't make me laugh.

Fat Syd
12-31-2010, 01:23 PM

Would you rather east a spoonful of sythetic track or spoonful of chemically treated inner track at Aqueduct. Who knows? Both options aren't appealling.

andymays
12-31-2010, 01:30 PM
I'll have a corned beef on rye please!

http://www.ehow.com/how_5107867_make-corned-beef-sandwich.html

Excerpt:

How to Make a Corned Beef Sandwich

Read more: How to Make a Corned Beef Sandwich | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5107867_make-corned-beef-sandwich.html#ixzz19iPkGuHA

Dahoss9698
12-31-2010, 01:30 PM
Does it always have to be so boorish to kick things around with you?

What does eating have to do with the respiratory system? Get it? It's a dopey question.

Deflect? Don't make me laugh.

It's about ingesting the stuff. It's fairly simple. It's okay, I wouldn't answer it if I was you either.

The dramatics are a nice touch. Such a victim. Having to deal with my boorish tactics. Have I mentioned you're a giant hypocrite?

bigmack
12-31-2010, 01:36 PM
It's about ingesting the stuff. It's fairly simple. It's okay, I wouldn't answer it if I was you either.

The dramatics are a nice touch. Such a victim. Having to deal with my boorish tactics. Have I mentioned you're a giant hypocrite?
:lol: Run along and find some data to support whatever point you're trying to make and stop with this internet idiocy.

Robert Fischer
12-31-2010, 01:37 PM
what was this thread about again?

Dahoss9698
12-31-2010, 01:42 PM
:lol: Run along and find some data to support whatever point you're trying to make and stop with this internet idiocy.

You should've quit while you were behind.

Saratoga_Mike
12-31-2010, 01:49 PM
Besides absorbing water better, Michael Dickinson claims that his Tapeta surface has more nutritional value than any of the other synthetic surfaces.

Robert Fischer
12-31-2010, 01:55 PM
guys let's keep it about the jocks health.

Berrio simply doesn't want anything toxic in his body.

Dahoss9698
12-31-2010, 02:00 PM
guys let's keep it about the jocks health.

Berrio simply doesn't want anything toxic in his body.

I tried to. Are you a mod here now?

bigmack
12-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Besides absorbing water better, Michael Dickinson claims that his Tapeta surface has more nutritional value than any of the other synthetic surfaces.
U2? I take it you and your sidekick never involved yourselves too much in science. If it were up to your data, smoking would be ruled entirely healthy as a result of multiple studies showing EATING cigarettes is not harmful. :rolleyes:

andymays
12-31-2010, 02:17 PM

Jockey Berrio suffers stroke | Daily Racing Form

http://www.drf.com/news/jockey-berrio-suffers-stroke

Saratoga_Mike
12-31-2010, 02:19 PM
U2? I take it you and your sidekick never involved yourselves too much in science. If it were up to your data, smoking would be ruled entirely healthy as a result of multiple studies showing EATING cigarettes is not harmful. :rolleyes:

BM, I wasn't serious. I thought that was obvious, but you did get one thing right: I've never been overly interested in science.

toussaud
12-31-2010, 02:34 PM

How old is he?

Southieboy
12-31-2010, 02:39 PM
:4::1:

nijinski
12-31-2010, 02:44 PM
How old is he?
Read elsewhere he can speak and movement is ok , hoping i'ts mild and sending
prayers for a full recovery.

eastie
12-31-2010, 02:53 PM

I'm sure quite a few bullies have made you eat dirt throughout your life, so you should know something about the subject....Dirt is edible though, there are all kinds of dirt eaters in the south. Never heard about any synthetic track eaters.

P.S. you still didn't answer the question, and you got pawned by duh hoss.

toussaud
12-31-2010, 03:06 PM
You can eat dirt. In the poor parts of Africa they actually use mud cakes to supplement their diet. You can't eat synethic stuff however

bigmack
12-31-2010, 03:09 PM
I be diggin' the brainiacs in this thread.

Has anyone ever eaten Play-Doh?

Saratoga_Mike
12-31-2010, 03:27 PM
I be diggin' the brainiacs in this thread.

Has anyone ever eaten Play-Doh?

That's edible BM, serious this time.

riskman
12-31-2010, 03:51 PM
I tried to. Are you a mod here now?

No, it did not become about the jocks health.
It became a pissing contest and the test was negative.Whats with the "mod" business ? Fisher is a member here, has the same privileges as you the difference being he does not follow members around looking to post deliberate insults to frustrate people who are trying to carry on a discussion even though that discussion may seem frivolous to you.

Such is life, as it is in almost 2011 and wishing all a healthy and prosperous New Year.

toussaud
12-31-2010, 04:57 PM
everyone knows you can eat play doh lol. they make it editable because of kids. A little salty but edible.

Saratoga_Mike
12-31-2010, 05:02 PM
everyone knows you can eat play doh lol. they make it editable because of kids. A little salty but edible.

Had any lately T?

Dahoss9698
12-31-2010, 05:06 PM
No, it did not become about the jocks health.
It became a pissing contest and the test was negative.Whats with the "mod" business ? Fisher is a member here, has the same privileges as you the difference being he does not follow members around looking to post deliberate insults to frustrate people who are trying to carry on a discussion even though that discussion may seem frivolous to you.

Such is life, as it is in almost 2011 and wishing all a healthy and prosperous New Year.

Another hero. Next time instead of putting your cape on, look at the thread.

Who am I following around?

PaceAdvantage
12-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Too many posts to delete, so I am just going to end the non-stop back and forth right here.

JustRalph
01-01-2011, 04:13 AM
there are all kinds of dirt eaters in the south.

What the hell does that mean?

PhantomOnTour
01-01-2011, 09:13 AM
It's not dirt we're eating down here...it's file' gumbo!

Bruddah
01-01-2011, 09:34 AM
I just finished reading this thread from start to finish. I have to admit it left me feeling like I just walked into the Men's Room and found two guys having a p*ssing match. Unfortunately, they each had more p*ss on their pants than anywhere else.

Sorry fellas, I couldn't resist the laugh, because things were much to serious for a New Year. :D

Dahoss9698
01-01-2011, 12:11 PM
I just finished reading this thread from start to finish. I have to admit it left me feeling like I just walked into the Men's Room and found two guys having a p*ssing match. Unfortunately, they each had more p*ss on their pants than anywhere else.

Sorry fellas, I couldn't resist the laugh, because things were much to serious for a New Year. :D

Solid contribution

David-LV
01-01-2011, 12:22 PM

Could the synthetic fibers found lodged in his throat be a contributing factor to his health problem?

Installation of these synthetic surfaces without testing will soon make a lot of lawyers very rich.

________
David-LV

eastie
01-01-2011, 12:41 PM
What the hell does that mean?

it means: there are many people in the South who eat dirt. Comprendo ?

Tom
01-01-2011, 12:51 PM
And you know this how?

Fingal
01-01-2011, 01:00 PM
When Santa Anita first put in Cushion Track they had an open house at Clockers Corner. And after a full Breakfast for those in attendance & a panel presentation on the merits of the new surface, they let us out to walk the track.

I had seen a show on TVG where David Flores talked about Keeneland's Poly, & how he was coughing up the fibers for days. So to draw my own conclusions I had to taste this stuff. It took several glasses of water & spitting to get rid of that gritty taste & fibers.

bigmack
01-01-2011, 01:26 PM
I had seen a show on TVG where David Flores talked about Keeneland's Poly, & how he was coughing up the fibers for days. So to draw my own conclusions I had to taste this stuff. It took several glasses of water & spitting to get rid of that gritty taste & fibers.
Similarly, I heard of some guys that installed insulation back in the 80's and inhaled some of the floating fibers. To draw my own conclusions I tore off a hunk of insulation from a wall in the garage and put it on some toast. It left a gritty taste with fibers as well but with a little dab of hollandaise sauce it went down fairly smooth.

I heard some carpenters inhaled sawdust and plan on having a 2 x 4 filet next week. Ya know, just to help me get a feel for what they're experiencing.

Bruddah
01-01-2011, 01:35 PM
it means: there are many people in the South who eat dirt. Comprendo ?

Damn right! Nothing like a little Southern mud to keep the bowels functioning like clockwork. (lol) :lol:

andymays
01-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Could the synthetic fibers found lodged in his throat be a contributing factor to his health problem?

Installation of these synthetic surfaces without testing will soon make a lot of lawyers very rich.

________
David-LV

I'm sure that's coming soon to a track with a synthetic surface somewhere. I believe one or two of the Jocks who were paralyzed at Arlington a couple of years ago sued but I'm not positive about that.

Robert Fischer
01-01-2011, 02:57 PM
given this jockey's substance abuse issues, drawing any connection to his health problems and the synthetic fibers is futile.

my comment ("Berrio simply doesn't want anything toxic in his body.") wasn't 100% serious, and I feel a little bad now that I hear news that he has had a stroke after the comment had since been posted.
Hopefully this guy gets his health and life together. Whether he can race again isn't the most important but of course we want him to be able to continue his livelyhood.

PaceAdvantage
01-01-2011, 05:37 PM
this is a lost cause