PDA

View Full Version : Excel Help Needed

Vinman
12-30-2010, 10:38 PM
I just spent two hours doing a race card with my home grown Excel handicapping spreadsheet that I've been using for years and I just encountered a problem I've never before experienced.

With a single errant keystroke, I made "Sheet 1", which had my data on it, vanish into thin air. When I tried the "edit undo" option up top, it flipped me over to another spreadsheet I had open for a different track.

At the bottom of the spreadseet with the missing Sheet 1, you can see the tabs for Sheets 2 and 3. But I can't get back to Sheet 1. I am going to think positive for now and assume that it has not been deleted. Any ideas on how to restore "Sheet 1"?

Thanks,

Vinman

Zoot
12-30-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm not an excel expert by any means but a couple of quick questions.

Are you sure that maybe you just inadvertently "hid" that sheet ? I do know that that is possible and if that's the case then you can "unhide" any hidden sheets. The exact steps depend on what version of excel you're using.

Also, if you haven't actually saved ( closed ) the workbook yet then I believe that if you save the current book as a different name then the original should still be in it's original location and you could then open the original back up to get the "missing" sheet and perhaps copy it to the newer one that you were working on.

Good luck

Vinman
12-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Zoot....

It seems apparent that I somehow did hide Sheet 1. Its just a matter of how to get it back, as the tabs for sheets 2 and 3 are still there. I'd be quite surprised if Sheet 1 was not somehow retrievable.

Luckily, this was a spreadsheet for a track that I rarely play, with few lines of data on it, so its no great loss. But my concern now is what if this happens to one of my main spreadsheets with several hundred races and several thousand lines of data that I use to update my handicapping impact values.

I use a 2003 version of Excel.

V.

Zoot
12-30-2010, 11:19 PM
this might help

http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/sheets/unhide.php

otherwise I think Raybo would be the resident Excel expert here and will probably help you when he sees your post

Vinman
12-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Zoot....

That tech link looks like a winner. I'll try it as soon as I get home from Favorites OTW.

V.

Tom
12-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Close the file and don't save changes.
Then open it again.

Vinman
12-31-2010, 01:16 AM
Tom..

Thanks, but already past that point.

Zoot....Using your link, it took me about 15 seconds to unhide the file!

V.

Tom
12-31-2010, 09:24 AM
I thought it was too easy! :rolleyes:

But....how do you hide a worksheet?
Is it in newer versions of Excel?

raybo
12-31-2010, 10:09 AM
I thought it was too easy! :rolleyes:

But....how do you hide a worksheet?
Is it in newer versions of Excel?

In the menu, under "Format" (Excel2000), "Sheet"/"Hide", if you have hidden sheets and want to unhide them:

"Format"
"Sheet"
"Unhide"

The sheet that gets hidden is the active sheet, the sheet that gets unhidden, if you have more than one hidden, will be decided by your selection in the pop-up window when you select "unhide".

Capper Al
12-31-2010, 10:13 AM
Spreadsheet Cappers should check out Raybo's forum:

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum (http://alldataexcel.freeforums.org)

raybo
12-31-2010, 01:21 PM
For Excel 2007 users, the "Hide"/"Unhide" method is as follows:

1. On the menu bar, click "Home"
2. Over on the right side of the "Home" menu, click "Format"
3. In the pop-down menu, hover your mouse over "Hide & Unhide"
4. Click "Hide Sheet"

To unhide previously hidden sheets, follow the same procedures except, in Step 4, select "Unhide Sheet" and then, in the pop-up window select the sheet you want to unhide.

Vinman
12-31-2010, 09:49 PM
Got it unstuck. The punch line is that all my Maywood selections that I couldn't access after inadvertently hiding them.....they all lost! So I saved $$$.

Thanks to all!

Vinman