PDA

View Full Version : My Dumb Question of the Day

exactatom
12-27-2010, 01:30 PM
I was watching 60 Minutes last night and it showed various 4 legged animals (zebras, wildow beasts, deer, etc) in a massive migration from Tanzania to Kenya. I was watching these animals dart around each other and avoid predators on rough and uneven surfaces. All I could think to myself is that I do not see one of these animals limping, walking slowly, etc. while we spend millions of dollars breeding race horses that can not run on perfectly manicured surfaces without suffering leg injuries. This may be a dumb question, but why is this happening to race horses when other animals are able to run in much rougher conditions for longer distances? Is it poor breeding, simply not basic running enough (like beign turned out in pasture to develop), the effects of carrying the weight of a jockey, trying to run too fast for a short distance, or some other factor? It just seemed these other animals were able to run without injury under much worse conditions.

Linny
12-27-2010, 02:01 PM
The zebras that get hurt get eaten inside an hour.

Rise Over Run
12-27-2010, 02:07 PM
You don't see any injured animals because they've already been eaten by the predators. The herd shuns the injured and basically hands them over to the lions.

Robert Fischer
12-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Dr. Lion

Marshall Bennett
12-27-2010, 03:26 PM
They only show the good stuff, like horse racing. Unless it's live, TVG and HRTV hide it too.

olddaddy
12-27-2010, 03:54 PM
The law of the jungle prevails. The strong survive, the weak perish.

GARY Z
12-27-2010, 05:50 PM
The law of the jungle prevails. The strong survive, the weak perish.

so much for the animals that run like Zenyatta

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Dave Schwartz
12-27-2010, 06:03 PM
What they didn't show you is how the migratory route has changed over the years.

See, several thousand years ago God switched to poly. This caused the animals to run differently and changed their route. There are still breakdowns but at least sometimes the wildebeest outruns the cheetah.

The cheetah had a big edge on poly.

God abandoned poly track as a bad idea.

Tom
12-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Man interferes with horse breeding - a huge negative for the species.
We breed them for early speed and a quick buck, not soundness or survival.

Marshall Bennett
12-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Man interferes with horse breeding - a huge negative for the species.
We breed them for early speed and a quick buck, not soundness or survival.
Well said. :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
12-28-2010, 01:05 AM
What they didn't show you is how the migratory route has changed over the years.

See, several thousand years ago God switched to poly. This caused the animals to run differently and changed their route. There are still breakdowns but at least sometimes the wildebeest outruns the cheetah.

Dave, I actually thought it was funny. God Switched to poly? That's great! :lol:

PhantomOnTour
12-28-2010, 01:36 AM
You don't see any injured animals because they've already been eaten by the predators. The herd shuns the injured and basically hands them over to the lions.
Same basic frame of mind that one of my old college pals used to employ when trying to pick up chicks (chicks, man!)...find the one with the limp or unsteady gait, separate from the herd, yadda yadda yadda.

CincyHorseplayer
12-28-2010, 10:37 AM

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAAA!!!Awesome Dave!!:ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
12-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Thank you, thank you.

I'll be here all week.

Don't you go changin'.

(Where's my gold medallion?) :D

Robert Goren
12-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Same basic frame of mind that one of my old college pals used to employ when trying to pick up chicks (chicks, man!)...find the one with the limp or unsteady gait, separate from the herd, yadda yadda yadda.I had a friend who used a sexual identity crisis to get action in the early 60s. There were at least twenty girls who saved him from being gay. He got the idea from Playboy.

alhattab
12-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Rather than the tarp and vets, maybe the track should rescue a lion or tiger from some idiot that tried to keep one as a pet, and get some vultures on site. When there's a breakdown, unleash the cat. It would be just like the plains. PETA would be off our backs! Much cheaper than a bunch of doctors, too (with the breakdown rates you wouldn't need to otherwise feed the cat) and you'd be able to save an at-rise lion or tiger at that.

By the way, it's wildebeest.

PhantomOnTour
12-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Rather than the tarp and vets, maybe the track should rescue a lion or tiger from some idiot that tried to keep one as a pet, and get some vultures on site. When there's a breakdown, unleash the cat. It would be just like the plains. PETA would be off our backs! Much cheaper than a bunch of doctors, too (with the breakdown rates you wouldn't need to otherwise feed the cat) and you'd be able to save an at-rise lion or tiger at that.

By the way, it's wildebeest.
I like your thinkin'! :lol:

bigchump
12-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Wildebeest pace figures confuse the lions when they migrate on poly surfaces then switch to dirt.

rastajenk
12-29-2010, 07:28 AM
The full fields are tough to figure, too.

Robert Fischer
12-29-2010, 07:32 AM
not to mention most of the lions are fillies...

Steve 'StatMan'
12-31-2010, 02:49 PM
not to mention most of the lions are fillies...

...because the mares are lyin' about their age!