PDA

View Full Version : Watching Santa Anita's numbers

BMeadow
12-27-2010, 01:17 PM
The comment I sent to the Paulick Report...

lAs we watch the handle numbers at Santa Anita over the next few weeks and compare them with previous meetings, remember that many factors will affect the handle numbers, including (but not limited to):

* General downturn of economy
* Generally lessened interest in racing
* Weather last year vs. this year
* Field sizes
* Attendance/promotions
* Dirt vs. synthetics
* Increase in takeout
* Number of races per day
* Change in rebate rates
* Number of racing cards
* Quality of fields
* Which places do or don't take signals
* Effect of horseplayers' boycott
* More effective competition from other tracks

But no matter what, track officials will crow that everything is terrific, and the cheerleading house organs (Bloodhorse and Thoroughbred Times) will do the same. Had these guys covered the cruise-ship industry, they would have written that the Titanic made excellent time and the voyage would have been even better had there not been a minor ice problem.

We want the CHRB will rescind its takeout hike. But who on the board can relate to horseplayers? Most of these guys are either lawyers or people with so much money that anything presented by gamblers is far, far away from anything in their world. Think of the Bernie Madoff debacle--the SEC lawyers kept giving Bernie the seal of approval, while math types complained furiously before, years later, the whole thing came down.

But as handle continues to plummet--which it will (particularly thanks to the takeout hike), because every meet begins with high expectations and slowly limps to a conclusion, even the CHRB will be forced to act. I hope.

InsideThePylons-MW
12-27-2010, 01:24 PM
But as handle continues to plummet--which it will (particularly thanks to the takeout hike), because every meet begins with high expectations and slowly limps to a conclusion, even the CHRB will be forced to act. I hope.

Yes, they will act.

They will raise WPS takeout 3% because they have to do something to save racing in CA.

DeanT
12-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Meadow is responsible for one of the funniest lines I have read on the net in some time.

"Had these guys covered the cruise-ship industry, they would have written that the Titanic made excellent time and the voyage would have been even better had there not been a minor ice problem."

It is a long road, filled with a lot of suspect data that can be used as a crutch for an against change. I like Barry's message.... no need to look at the bumps or jumps in the road; it is the road ahead that matters. Trends like we have seen the last decade weave a clear picture.

Cali racing must make changes to grow, so let's hope it comes sooner rather than later.

Steve 'StatMan'
12-27-2010, 01:30 PM
One of those other things might be that there are few dirt numbers for the SoCal hores - most will have synthetic track numbers, and the more serious bettors may be hesitant until they have dirt numbers for the horses to handicap dirt races. Just as there was a downturn when the synthetics first opened up, and handicappers only had dirt numbers for the horses back then.

andymays
12-27-2010, 01:40 PM
This is where all the backlash started.

It was widely circulated and I would call this the beginning of the bad publicity for the CHRB.

The link for this at the Paulick Report doesn't work anymore
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/c.../#comment-33994

Excerpt:

When Jeff Platt of the Horseplayers Association of North America testified on a matter relating to a takeout increase at Los Alamitos, Platt made the mistake of bringing his laptop computer and coffee mug to the witness table. “Mr. Platt has brought his coffee to the table, thinking he’s going to be here for a long time,” said Brackpool, who sets strict time limits on witnesses and public comments. “I’ve never seen that before.”

During that same discussion, horseplayer Barry Meadow addressed the board and tried to use several analogies to explain why an increase in takeout was a bad idea. Brackpool cut him off, saying, “I’m only going to permit you two analogies per comment.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is how they treat Horseplayers who jumped through all the hoops and followed their rules. :ThmbDown:

Horseplayersbet.com
12-27-2010, 01:50 PM
This is where all the backlash started.

It was widely circulated and I would call this the beginning of the bad publicity for the CHRB.

The link for this at the Paulick Report doesn't work anymore
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/c.../#comment-33994

Excerpt:

When Jeff Platt of the Horseplayers Association of North America testified on a matter relating to a takeout increase at Los Alamitos, Platt made the mistake of bringing his laptop computer and coffee mug to the witness table. “Mr. Platt has brought his coffee to the table, thinking he’s going to be here for a long time,” said Brackpool, who sets strict time limits on witnesses and public comments. “I’ve never seen that before.”

During that same discussion, horseplayer Barry Meadow addressed the board and tried to use several analogies to explain why an increase in takeout was a bad idea. Brackpool cut him off, saying, “I’m only going to permit you two analogies per comment.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is how they treat Horseplayers who jumped through all the hoops and followed their rules. :ThmbDown:

A little trick: CACHE
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:iWDdNv-iq_kJ:www.paulickreport.com/blog/tag/marge-everett/+When+Jeff+Platt+of+the+Horseplayers+Association+o f+North+America+testified+on+a+matter+relating+to+ a+takeout+increase+at+Los+Alamitos,+Platt+made+the +mistake+of+bringing+his+laptop+computer+and+coffe e+mug+to+the+witness+table.&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca