PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday, Oscar Levant

DJofSD
12-27-2010, 09:58 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Levant
Between 1958 and 1960, Levant hosted a television talk show on KCOP-TV in Los Angeles, The Oscar Levant Show, which later became syndicated. It featured his piano playing along with monologues and interviews with top-name guests such as Fred Astaire and Linus Pauling. A full recording of only two shows is known to exist,[2] one with Astaire, who paid to have a kinescope recording of the broadcast made, so that he could assess his performance. This is likely the only Astaire performance to have imperfections, as it was live, and Levant would repeatedly change the tempo of his accompaniment to Astaire's singing during the bridges between verses, which appeared to get him quite off balance at first. He did not dance, as the studio space was extremely small.

The show was highly controversial, eventually being taken from the air after a comment about Marilyn Monroe's conversion to Judaism: "Now that Marilyn Monroe is kosher, Arthur Miller can eat her". He later stated that he "hadn't meant it that way". Several months later, the show began to be broadcast in a slightly revised format—it was taped in order to provide a buffer for Levant's antics. This, however, failed to prevent Levant from making comments about Mae West's sex life that caused the show to be canceled for good. Levant was also a frequent guest on Jack Paar's talk show, prompting Paar in later years to sign off by saying, "Good night, Oscar Levant, wherever you are." On an appearance on the Tonight Show, from New York, Levant once quipped that his Jaguar ambulance was waiting outside for him.

Never having heard the following before, I laughed out loud:

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
Oscar Levant

Overlay
12-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Perhaps my memory is faulty, but I believe that he also made appearances on an old game show called Stump the Stars, where teams of celebrities competed in deciphering the words to jokes or literary passages that one of the team members acted out using charades. (Three others that I recall being on the show were Sebastian Cabot, Beverly Garland, and Ross Martin.)

offtrack
12-27-2010, 10:10 AM
" I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin."

O Levant

Robert Goren
12-27-2010, 11:08 AM
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." Oscar Levant

bigmack
12-27-2010, 12:02 PM
He smoked in earnest. Who didn't in that era?

Quite the pianist, I learn he studied with Arnold Schoenberg.

HzmsCt3zP8A

"Everyone in Hollywood is gay, except Gabby Hayes — and that's because he is a transvestite."

"So little time and so little to do..."

"Roses are red, violets are blue, I am schizophrenic, and so am I."

DJofSD
12-27-2010, 12:52 PM
He smoked in earnest. Who didn't in that era?

Quite the pianist, I learn he studied with Arnold Schoenberg.

HzmsCt3zP8A

"Everyone in Hollywood is gay, except Gabby Hayes — and that's because he is a transvestite."

"So little time and so little to do..."

"Roses are red, violets are blue, I am schizophrenic, and so am I."
Wow, and he did that all in one take!

Steve 'StatMan'
12-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Oscar Levant Show with Fred Astaire (3 parts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGNih0TWAQs&feature=related

toetoe
12-27-2010, 10:27 PM
He was in movies too ... playing himself. :cool: .

"I take a sidearm to Riviera with me --- so I can shoot Paar."

Okay, okay ... um, he never said that, okay ? Stop tryin' t' say I said 'e said it, all right ? [:Sweating now. :eek: ]