PDA

View Full Version : True Grit 2010

redshift1
12-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Caught True Grit this weekend:

One of the best westerns I've seen.

Moments of breathtaking cinematography especially the night scenes filled with
almost dreamlike sequences.

Ensemble style acting that exemplifies the Coen Brothers directing techniques. Each role no matter how small is fully developed and superbly acted.

Interesting dialogue which is supposed to be authentic for the period.

Not a perfect movie but sure to get some well deserved Oscar nominations.

teddy
12-26-2010, 01:42 PM
I saw it and got a totally take... thought it was boring and a waste of time. Worst Coen film ever..

Pell Mell
12-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Was this a remake of Wayne's true grit?

Dave Schwartz
12-26-2010, 04:47 PM
There is another thread about this but with simple searching I could not find it.

While Jeff Bridges is no John Wayne, and the Coen brothers decidedly insisted on their on dialog (which removed some of my favorite lines - "This is a writ for a rat. It's a rat writ.") - I found the entire experience immensely enjoyable.

The movie du jour for us is The Fighter.

Dave

chickenhead
12-26-2010, 04:51 PM
I didn't think much of The Fighter - altho Christian Bale put in a great performance.

redshift1
12-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Was this a remake of Wayne's true grit?

True Grit is a story by Charles Portis that first appeared as a 1968 serial in The Saturday Evening Post, later printed in book form with a somewhat changed storyline.
In 1969, True Grit was adapted for the screen as an American Western film of the same name starring John Wayne, which spawned a sequel in 1975 entitled Rooster Cogburn. Another adaptation, was made in 2010 called True Grit by the Coen Brothers, starring Hailee Steinfeld as Mattie Ross and Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn.

Wiki

redshift1
12-26-2010, 04:58 PM
There is another thread about this but with simple searching I could not find it.

While Jeff Bridges is no John Wayne, and the Coen brothers decidedly insisted on their on dialog (which removed some of my favorite lines - "This is a writ for a rat. It's a rat writ.") - I found the entire experience immensely enjoyable.

The movie du jour for us is The Fighter.

Dave

This might be it.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78412

bigmack
12-26-2010, 05:51 PM
While iconic, stylized and I was a big fan, I have a hard time putting John Wayne on any list of great actors.

Dave Schwartz
12-26-2010, 09:53 PM
While iconic, stylized and I was a big fan, I have a hard time putting John Wayne on any list of great actors.

And we do love our icons.

Saw the fighter. A good look into the seedier side of life. Good movie but, IMHO, not picture of the year potential as hyped.

Christian Bale was excellent and I enjoyed the fight scenes, although on a few the choreography was a bit weak. Heck - Wahlberg is in such good shape they should probably just put him in a ring with somebody he could kick the snot out of and let 'em have at it.

I enjoyed the movie - but then I enjoy most movies.

Dave

JustRalph
12-27-2010, 01:16 AM

I liked John Wayne as an actor. He was the same damn guy in every movie

Right up till the end in the Shootist when they made a biographical account of that Cowboy Character. That was a very interesting treatment of his career as a whole. The flashbacks they used from other movies were very very telling and a metaphor for his real life coming to an end.

I really like some of his non cowboy roles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057007/

Both times he played against Lee Marvin were great. But it was the same damn guy in almost every film.

As long as you like the one character " John Wayne" you had to like the movie.

Hell, the guy made the same damn movie three or four different times.
Rio Bravo and El Dorado have the same damn script for Christ's sake :lol:

If you want to see him act a little, it's got to be "The Quiet Man"

He was good at making light of " His character" in "Big Jim McClain " and "McClintock"

Maureen O"Hara was his most beautiful co-star if you can get past Ann Margaret........and I believe he actually did a movie with Raquel Welch too?

Stage Coach with John Carradine (check out his gnarled hands from extreme arthritis) and then Carradine's return in "The Shootist" as the undertaker who will bury Wayne's character, make for great movie lore.

Gotta love Wayne, not so much for the acting, but for his presence.

prospector
12-27-2010, 08:41 AM
i liked him in Red River and The Searchers...2 of his best..

teddy
12-27-2010, 10:15 AM
For western actors any of the Eastwood movies were superior. A mile ahead of their time. At least they left in "fill your hand you son of a bitch". The lines were read weird, not like real people but more like stage actors. You see that in Brother where art thou too... it didnt work in a western. Didnt fit...

toetoe
12-27-2010, 10:36 PM
... that was Kim Darby stealing the show from Marion Morrison and The World's Greatest Guitarist.

Rumors that KDarb and Sandy Dennis have never been seen together are base and unbased ... not to say unbiased, exactly. :confused: .

canleakid
12-28-2010, 12:21 PM
"'True Grit' has set a new opening-weekend record -- for Westerns -- or as Boxofficemojo.com put it, the movie drew the 'top-grossing opening weekend ever for a straight-shooting Western.' The site says the movie has the highest Western movie gross overall when its five days of release are considered ($36.8 million). The movie is the highest-grossing Western since 2007's '3:10 to Yuma.'

Hailee Steinfeld beats Kim Darby by a landside ;)

redshift1
12-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Note Little Fockers completly panned by critics is leading the current week in box office receipts while True Grit loved by critics is traiing in second place.

NJ Stinks
12-28-2010, 01:11 PM
If you want to see him act a little, it's got to be "The Quiet Man"

By far my favorite John Wayne movie.

Actually, your whole post nailed it. :ThmbUp: