PDA

View Full Version : Dec 24, 1977, the "Ghost to the Post"

Stillriledup
12-25-2010, 01:40 AM
Raiders v Colts playoff game. I remember it like it was, well, 33 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_to_the_Post

cj
12-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Raiders v Colts playoff game. I remember it like it was, well, 33 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_to_the_Post

That was a painful loss. I remember having to listen to it on the radio. It was not on TV in Baltimore. I guess I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is right. I was only 10 though!

I do remember a plane crashed in the stadium after the game. Seem to remember Marshall Johnson running a kickoff back for a touchdown too. Bert Jones!

Valuist
12-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Funny thing...I don't remember the actual play but I do remember seeing the plane that crashed into the stadium.

cj's dad
12-25-2010, 12:24 PM
That was a painful loss. I remember having to listen to it on the radio. It was not on TV in Baltimore. I guess I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is right. I was only 10 though!

I do remember a plane crashed in the stadium after the game. Seem to remember Marshall Johnson running a kickoff back for a touchdown too. Bert Jones!

The plane crash was 12-19-76 after a 41-14 loss to the Steelers. The lopsided loss had the stadium nearly empty at the time. My sister and I had season tickets and we sat about 8 sections west (3rd base side) of where it crashed in the upper deck.

BTW- your mother was not too happy that I was going to the football game on Christmas Eve.

proximity
12-29-2010, 05:41 AM
Seem to remember Marshall Johnson running a kickoff back for a touchdown too.

i was seven at the time and ran back to my room crying when the raiders scored the td before the johnson kickoff return. my mom and step dad were then banging on my door and trying to tell me that the colts returned the kickoff for a td, but i didn't believe them!!

eventually i would come out only to be heartbroken in the end. :(

cj
12-29-2010, 11:03 AM
i was seven at the time and ran back to my room crying when the raiders scored the td before the johnson kickoff return. my mom and step dad were then banging on my door and trying to tell me that the colts returned the kickoff for a td, but i didn't believe them!!

eventually i would come out only to be heartbroken in the end. :(

It was only on radio, right? For some reason that has stuck with me.

Valuist
12-29-2010, 11:51 AM

May have been blacked out locally. Back then, it wasn't that uncommon.

cj
12-29-2010, 03:00 PM
May have been blacked out locally. Back then, it wasn't that uncommon.

Right, I realize it wasn't blacked out nationally, I meant in Baltimore. It was tougher to get people to a game on Christmas Eve in those days.

proximity
12-30-2010, 04:36 AM

i don't know about maryland, but it was definitely on tv in pennsylvania.

a lot of non-playoff colts games wouldn't be on tv though and i used to listen to the old chuck thompson broadcasts on the radio also back in those days.

cj's dad
12-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Right, I realize it wasn't blacked out nationally, I meant in Baltimore. It was tougher to get people to a game on Christmas Eve in those days.

The game was not a sellout, 59,925 attended. The stadium capacity as I remember was 60,238. It probably was blacked out.

The reason I remember the 60,238 was that at one time the colts sold out 60+ straight games (longest at that time in NFL history) and that figure is etched in my brain.

ElKabong
01-02-2011, 02:13 AM
Bert Jones was mentioned upthread...strongest arm I ever saw. Vs the cowboys I remember a 40 yd rope he threw, ball never got more than 8' off the ground. My jaw dropped and stayed there for 30 seconds...never saw anything like that.

cj's dad
01-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Bert Jones was mentioned upthread...strongest arm I ever saw. Vs the cowboys I remember a 40 yd rope he threw, ball never got more than 8' off the ground. My jaw dropped and stayed there for 30 seconds...never saw anything like that.

Bert had a strong arm and an even stronger head !

eastie
01-03-2011, 11:37 AM
The Rifleman had no one who could catch the ball....(Eddie Hinton Et al). They all had no hands. I never saw guys drop more passes. When he finally got receivers, the Colts were good, and cool to watch.

cj's dad
01-03-2011, 05:11 PM
He did have #81, Roger Carr, the only one who could outrun Bert's bombs.

eastie
01-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Carr changed everything for Jones. He could catch, and run too, at the same time even. Lydell Mitchell helped the cause too when he came aboard.

PhantomOnTour
01-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Bert's my boy! LSU Tiger