PDA

View Full Version : Exotic Betting-Steven Crist

raybo
12-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Just received "Exotic Betting", by Steven Crist, a Christmas gift from my daughter. As I've stated before, I don't read horse racing/handicapping/wagering books, except for one, years ago, by Pittsburg Phil. Does anyone have comments about the book, before I read it? Any portions of real value, etc.?

pandy
12-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Personally I think it's a very good book worth reading unless you are an expert on how to construct exotic wagers.

JustRalph
12-23-2010, 07:45 PM
One of the best

Check out the odds on hitting a super and tri with small bets, and you might stop playing them

Saratoga_Mike
12-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Great book - actually almost everything Crist writes is worth reading. He even makes his greyhounds interesting.

raybo
12-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys! After reading the first few pages, I wasn't impressed, old news, very old. But, if you guys think it's worth reading, I'll give it a go.

raybo
12-23-2010, 08:56 PM
PS, I did like that he made a point of saying that picking a winner isn't as important as knowing how and when to wager. I couldn't agree more. And, he also stated that exotics wagering receives more dollars bet than WPS wagering, at least in the big races where life changing scores are available. I've suspected that for a few years now, mainly since the advent of the dime super, $1 exacta and $.50 tri, and the lower minimum amounts on some picks. And, I also more than suspect that there is much more "uneducated" wagering going on in those pools.

Saratoga_Mike
12-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys! After reading the first few pages, I wasn't impressed, old news, very old. But, if you guys think it's worth reading, I'll give it a go.

It does start slow. If you want to improve your Pick 4 and 6 play, it's a great book. If you just want a great read, pick up Crist's "Betting on Myself," which is autobiographical. If you don't like that one, I'll personally send you a refund.

raybo
12-23-2010, 09:55 PM
It does start slow. If you want to improve your Pick 4 and 6 play, it's a great book. If you just want a great read, pick up Crist's "Betting on Myself," which is autobiographical. If you don't like that one, I'll personally send you a refund.

Mike,

That's Ok, if the autobiography is that good I'll just hint that it would be a nice birthday present.

I think I mentioned somewhere on this forum that I'm a little "tight" when it comes to spending money. That may be a bit of :lol: an understatement.

Saratoga_Mike
12-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Mike,

That's Ok, if the autobiography is that good I'll just hint that it would be a nice birthday present.

I think I mentioned somewhere on this forum that I'm a little "tight" when it comes to spending money. That may be a bit of :lol: an understatement.

I'll even refund your money if you get it as a birthday gift and don't like it!

DeanT
12-23-2010, 10:43 PM
I liked both his books. I think he is a good writer.

For personal writing style/storytelling he is my fave over in NA. Across the pond (if you can handle the cultural betting differences) Dave Nevison's stuff is really good. He's a riot, and a really good horse gambler.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1905156588?ie=UTF8&tag=jsutjammin-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=1905156588

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1905156456?ie=UTF8&tag=jsutjammin-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=1905156456

thaskalos
12-23-2010, 11:30 PM
For personal writing style/storytelling he is my fave over in NA. Across the pond (if you can handle the cultural betting differences) Dave Nevison's stuff is really good. He's a riot, and a really good horse gambler.
I just ordered his book "A Bloody Good Winner", from Amazon.com Dean...any chance I can get a refund from you in case I don't like it? :)

DeanT
12-23-2010, 11:45 PM
I just ordered his book "A Bloody Good Winner", from Amazon.com Dean...any chance I can get a refund from you in case I don't like it? :)
You got it. Send me your mailing address and I will give you an assortment of 30 cent vouchers for the whole purchase price from various racetracks that I collect :)

I find the UK betting books kind of cool because the horses are different and the culture is different. I find it super-interesting to read a book by a guy like this, who hops on a train and goes from meeting to meeting, staying in hotels, watching replays, shopping for prices, laying off a betfair and trying to pay his electric bills as his job is betting. There are so many pros in the UK because the volume is there and the prices (5% win takeouts) are there. It is not uncommon for him to bet $10k to win and find a willing market.

It's different, but kind of cool. Let me know what you think!

riskman
12-23-2010, 11:55 PM
I am waiting for raybo's book "How to Win the Superfecta in 10 Easy Steps"

Probably be a best seller. Not a chance, but you will leave your secrets in your safe deposit box, right ! Only teasing you. Show me the money.

http://rpmhandicappinggiant.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/money.png

thaskalos
12-23-2010, 11:56 PM
You got it. Send me your mailing address and I will give you an assortment of 30 cent vouchers for the whole purchase price from various racetracks that I collect :)

I find the UK betting books kind of cool because the horses are different and the culture is different. I find it super-interesting to read a book by a guy like this, who hops on a train and goes from meeting to meeting, staying in hotels, watching replays, shopping for prices, laying off a betfair and trying to pay his electric bills as his job is betting. There are so many pros in the UK because the volume is there and the prices (5% win takeouts) are there. It is not uncommon for him to bet $10k to win and find a willing market.

It's different, but kind of cool. Let me know what you think!
A while back...Charlie D commented on Patrick Veitch...a professional "punter" who is considered to be the UK's most feared horse player.

I bought his book "Enemy Number One"...and if you PM me a shipping address, I will gladly send it to you...as a token of my esteem.

DeanT
12-24-2010, 12:02 AM
A while back...Charlie D commented on Patrick Veitch...a professional "punter" who is considered to be the UK's most feared horse player.

I bought his book "Enemy Number One"...and if you PM me a shipping address, I will gladly send it to you...as a token of my esteem.

I have that one too. But your offer was damn good. I should have waited to buy it :)

Did you like it? It was a little spy-novelly I thought, but I enjoyed it!

Riskman,

You got it. Ray knows what he is doing with supers, no question.

thaskalos
12-24-2010, 12:07 AM
I liked it.

I am so addicted to this game...that I buy every handicapping book I can find - in any corner of the world. And...regardless of how bad I think any of them are...I never return any back for a refund.

raybo
12-24-2010, 12:35 AM
I liked it.

I am so addicted to this game...that I buy every handicapping book I can find - in any corner of the world. And...regardless of how bad I think any of them are...I never return any back for a refund.

The only thing I'm totally addicted to, in racing, is creating spreadsheets :D .

I probably should have been a programmer, not a draftsman/production manager.

I'm certainly not hooked on the racing, possibly the money though.

raybo
12-24-2010, 12:39 AM
I am waiting for raybo's book "How to Win the Superfecta in 10 Easy Steps"

Probably be a best seller. Not a chance, but you will leave your secrets in your safe deposit box, right ! Only teasing you. Show me the money.

http://rpmhandicappinggiant.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/money.png

Hey man, you never know. It would certainly be one of the most difficult things I've ever tried to do regarding horse racing.

It would probably take more time to write than I have left though.

PS, the first chapter would probably start with "There aint no 10 easy steps".

CincyHorseplayer
12-24-2010, 07:14 AM
Mike,

Shop on Amazon Books Raybo.I just ordered Extreme Pace Handicapping-Giles,Real Life Handicapping-Litfin,My 50K Year At The Races-Beyer,and Investing At The racetrack-Scott.All for $36.00 shipping included!!

FiveWide
12-24-2010, 08:57 AM
Shop on Amazon Books Raybo.I just ordered Extreme Pace Handicapping-Giles,Real Life Handicapping-Litfin,My 50K Year At The Races-Beyer,and Investing At The racetrack-Scott.All for $36.00 shipping included!!

I've bought most of my horseracing books on Amazon but here lately I've found some real gems like Thoroughbred Handicapping As An Investment and Off The Charts at Half-Price Books.

-Five

Robert Goren
12-24-2010, 09:15 AM
If you post on this board and you learn anything from the Crist book, you should seriously rethink about your betting on horses races. There is nothing in there that you shouldn't have thought of yourself.

DeanT
12-24-2010, 10:21 AM
I liked it.

I'm with ya there. Even books I find are 'poor', there might be one thing in them which helps. I could read pretty much anything to do with gambling and horse racing.

I like to read from all over too, because there are huge differences - in the US I find a lot of books are about picking winners, and over across the pond a good many are about being a gambler, or reading a horse's action, or watching races for clues on how horses are moving, or what horse is good and has a good future, and what horse is bad, jumping etc. Over here there is a focus on how fast a horse runs and measuring that, and over there it is more about how they run.

I think that might have something to do with antepost betting and betfair in running betting. There is much more to cover over there, whereas here we have picking a winner and betting exotics.

Robert Goren
12-24-2010, 10:42 AM
I am doing a little catching up on some old handicapping books that I never got around to reading. Just ordered the three Quirin books. 18 bucks including shipping. One for each of my trips to the hospital next year.(That was joke, son. Foghorn Leghorn)

kingfin66
12-24-2010, 03:21 PM
I really enjoyed this book. He may not have thought up these betting methods, but he definitely presents it in a clear manner. In particular, his P4 chapter is very interesting. He has even translated the info into a iPhone/pod/pad app.

garyscpa
12-25-2010, 09:03 AM
I am doing a little catching up on some old handicapping books that I never got around to reading. Just ordered the three Quirin books. 18 bucks including shipping. One for each of my trips to the hospital next year.(That was joke, son. Foghorn Leghorn)

And from where did you order these three Quirin books? (Notice that I didn't end the sentence with a preposition).

Robert Goren
12-25-2010, 09:42 AM
And from where did you order these three Quirin books? (Notice that I didn't end the sentence with a preposition).I got them used from Better World Books via Amazon.

Capper Al
12-25-2010, 09:48 AM
I liked it.

I too except I do resell a very few of them on eBay. Exotic Betting was one of them that I sold. I did not like the book.

Capper Al
12-25-2010, 09:53 AM
The only thing I'm totally addicted to, in racing, is creating spreadsheets :D .

I probably should have been a programmer, not a draftsman/production manager.

I'm certainly not hooked on the racing, possibly the money though.

I'm a programmer and write spreadsheets also. When my systems are running in total (which they are currently down), I use a C++ program to read BRIS' Multi caps data files that extracts data for my spreadsheets. For me, the spreadsheet side is much more fun.

garyscpa
12-25-2010, 10:18 AM
I got them used from Better World Books via Amazon.

Thanks. :)

Jay Trotter
12-26-2010, 02:42 PM

thaskalos, although I have not earned your "esteem" and Dean has that book, I would gladly take you up on that offer -- always up for a good read!

Trotter:ThmbUp:

thaskalos
12-26-2010, 08:43 PM
thaskalos, although I have not earned your "esteem" and Dean has that book, I would gladly take you up on that offer -- always up for a good read!

Trotter:ThmbUp:Of course...just send me a PM with a shipping address.