PDA

View Full Version : Software problem in Win XP-HELP!

andicap
10-03-2003, 11:20 AM
Somebody loaded a dictation software on my PC in a well-meaning way, but somehow it got loaded into memory and I can't get it out! It loads up at boot-up, and I don't know the name of it, can't find it on the computer. It's not viavoice, and it's not listed in the programs to add/delete.

But its screwing up the system -- I can't type anything without there being a big delay. It's a pain in the ass.

How can I find out where this sucker is and to delete it??

:confused:

pmd62ndst
10-03-2003, 02:28 PM
Check to see if you can find it as a service:

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services

From here, right-click on the service (if you can find it), and select Properties. From there, you should be able to Stop the service and select the Startup type as Manual or Disabled.

PMD

Tom
10-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by andicap

How can I find out where this sucker is and to delete it??

:confused:

Are you referring to the program or the guy that installed it?
It will affect the answer! :eek:

DJofSD
10-09-2003, 09:58 PM
From the Start button, select run then enter msconfig and press Enter.

Click on Services first. Scan down the list of items looking for a likely entry. You might recognize it either by the name under the service column or by the manufacturer.

If nothing there, try the Startup tab. Same drill.

When you find one that you think is the offending routine, uncheck the box. Then click on OK. When prompted select Restart. This will reboot your PC.

When the PC reboots it will point out these options have changed. Exit w/o restart then see if you have found the correct item, i.e. the task you want to disable is now gone.

Don't worry if you don't get it right the first time. You can always go back into msconfig and turn back on the one you just turned off and try another one. None of this is fatal. You can put everything back and reboot.

Good luck!

DJofSD