PDA

View Full Version : Browsers Shutdown When Links Are Closed

Spiderman
12-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Having a computer problem for about two months: when an opened link or pdf file is closed, all of the browsers and other opened pdf files shut-down. Happens about 75% of the time. Spoke with guy who built computer and he suggested: 1) delete anti-virus software and re-install - that did not work and 2) he will re-install Windows software, soon after the new year.

There are four toolbars on my computer: Google, Yahoo, bing and AVG. Could this be an overload and how would I delete bing and yahoo? Google and AVG (anti-virus software) are priorities.

Any suggestions?

GameTheory
12-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Does it only happen when pdf files are involved?

Spiderman
12-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Both, links and pdf

traveler
12-23-2010, 11:10 AM
I would definetely trash yahoo toolbar. I seem to remember issues with pdf files a few years ago and it has recently raised issues with IE at work.

Spiderman
12-23-2010, 11:13 AM
I would definetely trash yahoo toolbar. I seem to remember issues with pdf files a few years ago and it has recently raised issues with IE at work.

Thanks, I'll look for how to delete the yahoo toolbar

Spiderman
12-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Deleted yahoo toolbar, did not resolve issue. Tried finding way to remove bing toolbar, but it is not listed in add/remove software on control panel. I think that problem started about the time bing became part of operating system.

DJofSD
12-23-2010, 12:11 PM
FWIW, up until recently, I had AVG on two of my systems. Everything was OK - no problems with any applications being closed.

DJofSD
12-23-2010, 12:14 PM
As a suggestion, do you remember what was the last change/update made to the system, i.e. Windows or the browser or any of the toolbars, etc., before the problem started to happen? If so, try to undo that change. Given the amount of time and likely additiona subsequent changes, this might be difficult, however, a lot of times the last change made before a problem crops up is the source of new problems.

GameTheory
12-23-2010, 12:21 PM
This is IE browser I assume? When you say "links", what do you mean -- just any page in a new window?

Spiderman
12-23-2010, 12:33 PM
This is IE browser I assume? When you say "links", what do you mean -- just any page in a new window?

Links, i.e, someone on PA provides a link to a video or article; another example - clicking on a link in an email; when I close the link, all browsers close.

Spiderman
12-23-2010, 12:37 PM
As a suggestion, do you remember what was the last change/update made to the system, i.e. Windows or the browser or any of the toolbars, etc., before the problem started to happen? If so, try to undo that change. Given the amount of time and likely additiona subsequent changes, this might be difficult, however, a lot of times the last change made before a problem crops up is the source of new problems.
Last update was made automatically by Microsoft when I turn-off computer. That would be near-impossible to know. Problem started about two months ago and there were several occasions when updates were made when turning-off.

GameTheory
12-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Links, i.e, someone on PA provides a link to a video or article; another example - clicking on a link in an email; when I close the link, all browsers close.Right, but most links open in same window. Like when you navigate this site, you click links all the time to read messages, but it just stays in the same tab/window, right? So if I make a link like this:

http://www.google.com

You're saying if you click that, and it opens up a new window or tab (which is it, window or just a new tab in the browser?), then when you close that google page your whole browser will crash?

Spiderman
12-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Right, but most links open in same window. Like when you navigate this site, you click links all the time to read messages, but it just stays in the same tab/window, right? So if I make a link like this:

http://www.google.com (http://www.google.com/)

You're saying if you click that, and it opens up a new window or tab (which is it, window or just a new tab in the browser?), then when you close that google page your whole browser will crash?

Yes, that is what is happening. In this instance, when I tried to close the google window, the computer froze and was unable to close any open browser by crtl/alt/del. Had to shut-down, using on/off switch on cpu.

bigmack
12-23-2010, 01:08 PM
What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

Also, you don't need the AVG toolbar to continue running AVG. Get rid of all the toolbars with the exception of Google.

Spiderman
12-23-2010, 01:14 PM

Also, you don't need the AVG toolbar to continue running AVG. Get rid of all the toolbars with the exception of Google.
Where do I go to remove bing? The Avg toolbar is in control panel, bing is not.

Spiderman
12-23-2010, 01:17 PM

IE is 9

DJofSD
12-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Many sites can be found on the net telling you how. Here's one: http://www.dkszone.net/hide-remove-uninstall-bing-bar-firefox-internet-explorer . The IE stuff is part way down.

bigmack
12-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Go up to view/toolbars and uncheck Bing.

IE has issues, give Chrome a whirl. Importing bookmarks is a breeze and you'll find it more stable and MUCH faster:
http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/landing_chrome.html?hl=en

Spiderman
12-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Go up to view/toolbars and uncheck Bing.

IE has issues, give Chrome a whirl. Importing bookmarks is a breeze and you'll find it more stable and MUCH faster:
http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/landing_chrome.html?hl=en

Thanks.

in view/toolbars, I unchecked avg. however, bing was not there. I will give chrome a try, tomorrow.

Spiderman
12-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Many sites can be found on the net telling you how. Here's one: http://www.dkszone.net/hide-remove-uninstall-bing-bar-firefox-internet-explorer . The IE stuff is part way down.
Thanks. I will paste that link in url to locate, but will try after today's FG races.

bigmack
12-23-2010, 01:28 PM
however, bing was not there.
Go to control panel, add/remove. It's listed under MSN toolbar.

Spiderman
12-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Go to control panel, add/remove. It's listed under MSN toolbar.

Not listed in add/remove software, by any name, on this computer.

GameTheory
12-23-2010, 03:16 PM
It doesn't appear to have anything to do with actual page content if even the google front page can cause it. Get Malwarebytes, run a scan and see if anything comes up. (It will catch stuff AVG won't.)

JustRalph
12-23-2010, 03:37 PM
IE9 is still in beta, right?

Spiderman
12-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks, guys. I've been testing Chrome. No problem with closing links and it seems to be faster to open webpages, good video streaming quality.

Logging into PA was like going through security at NSA. I could not find a way to transfer favorites/bookmarks. bigmack wrote that it is easy, but to find the path, is not.

I'll use Chrome when for PA and a few other websites where links are prevalent. The problem must be in a corrupt IE.

Thanks, again.

bigmack
12-23-2010, 06:56 PM
I could not find a way to transfer favorites/bookmarks.

1 .Click the tools icon in the upper right corner of your current tab. The tools icon is represented by a wrench and is directly below the close out “X”.
2. Select Options
3. Click the Personal Stuff tab.
4. Click 'Import Data From Another Browser' and select the browser.
5. Select the appropriate boxes for the items you'd like to import. You can select to import your Favorites/Bookmarks, Search engines, Saved passwords, and Browsing history.
6. Click Import to bring your selected settings into Google Chrome.

Spiderman
12-23-2010, 09:43 PM
1 .Click the tools icon in the upper right corner of your current tab. The tools icon is represented by a wrench and is directly below the close out “X”.
2. Select Options
3. Click the Personal Stuff tab.
4. Click 'Import Data From Another Browser' and select the browser.
5. Select the appropriate boxes for the items you'd like to import. You can select to import your Favorites/Bookmarks, Search engines, Saved passwords, and Browsing history.
6. Click Import to bring your selected settings into Google Chrome.

Thanks, again. I found the method and merrily surfin' with Chrome. I had a gmail account and that is merged, too.

bigmack
12-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks, again. I found the method and merrily surfin' with Chrome. I had a gmail account and that is merged, too.
One thing they don't make clear that is handy... Hit Cntrl/shift/B. That will let you have your bookmarks appear right under the address bar easy to drop & drag into.

FiveWide
12-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Links, i.e, someone on PA provides a link to a video or article; another example - clicking on a link in an email; when I close the link, all browsers close.

Clicking on links in emails is very risky and unless you can verify with the sender it is legit I wouldn't do it. Sounds like you might have a virus of some sort.

-Five

Spiderman
12-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Clicking on links in emails is very risky and unless you can verify with the sender it is legit I wouldn't do it. Sounds like you might have a virus of some sort.

-Five

Likely that there is a virus causing malfunction. I will be deleting the entire Windows package and re-installing it, after the new year.

Chrome is excellent and unaffected by whatever ails IE. I may make it my exclusive browser.