PDA

View Full Version : ?!?!?! Guess who said this

lsbets
12-23-2010, 08:52 AM
No, its not April Fools day. Yes, he said this. Can anyone guess who it was?

"I'm ... I'm not exactly for the use of drugs, don't get me wrong, but I just believe that criminalizing marijuana, criminalizing the possession of a few ounces of pot, that kinda thing it's just, it's costing us a fortune and it's ruining young people. Young people go into prisons, they go in as youths and come out as hardened criminals. That's not a good thing."

OTM Al
12-23-2010, 08:59 AM
I cheated so not giving it up, but this is interesting and makes me wonder what the real agenda is.

DJofSD
12-23-2010, 09:12 AM
I cheated. Wow.

lsbets
12-23-2010, 09:13 AM
I cheated so not giving it up, but this is interesting and makes me wonder what the real agenda is.

I have my feelings on the agenda - federal funding so he can run drug rehab programs instead of sending folks to prison. Its usually about money.

But, he is correct. Our drug laws are stupid and do more to perpetuate crime and create criminals than anything.

Steve 'StatMan'
12-23-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm not going to guess, don't want to pin this quote on the wrong person.

To me, if the Penal System is turning youths into hardened criminals, then there is a problem with the Penal System in how they are dealt with, not necessarily a problem of what's been criminalized.

Tom
12-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Timothy Leary?

DJofSD
12-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Timothy Leary?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLC-y3r66Ys

Steve 'StatMan'
12-23-2010, 10:24 AM
I cheated. I am surprised.

OK, don't put simple drug offenders in with hardened criminals, work with them differently to rehabilitate and prevent future offenses and problems for them. Then again, look at Lindsay Lohan, and one realizes there has to be limits and progressively tougher actions, until maybe some do belong there anyway.

delayjf
12-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Unless you are selling it and therefore a drug dealer - it is a myth that our prisons are over crowded with MJ smokers.

Overlay
12-23-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm reminded of a series of cuts on the old National Lampoon album, "The Missing White House Tapes" (which came out right after Nixon resigned), where the record is in the format of a TV set being changed from one channel to another. On one of the channels, Chevy Chase's voice is heard giving a newscast, where he's saying, "And, in other news, Federal narcotics agents today raided a house near the university, where they arrested three men, and seized two ounces of marijuana with a street value of $35,000." Later on the same side (to make sure no one misses the comedic/satirical point), the TV comes back to the channel again, with Chevy reporting, "And, in other news, Federal narcotics agents today raided a house near the university, where they arrested three men, and seized two pounds of top ground round with a street value of $35,000."

boxcar
12-23-2010, 12:41 PM

"I'm ... I'm not exactly for the use of drugs, don't get me wrong, but I just believe that criminalizing marijuana, criminalizing the possession of a few ounces of pot, that kinda thing it's just, it's costing us a fortune and it's ruining young people. Young people go into prisons, they go in as youths and come out as hardened criminals. That's not a good thing."

There is equivocation in this quote, so I'm thinking it must be some former "experimenter" with drugs -- Clinton or Obama?

Boxcar

OTM Al
12-23-2010, 12:46 PM
I have my feelings on the agenda - federal funding so he can run drug rehab programs instead of sending folks to prison. Its usually about money.

But, he is correct. Our drug laws are stupid and do more to perpetuate crime and create criminals than anything.

Yeah, probably right about that. Even though it goes to line his pocket, if it works, it might be money much better spent than now. People think God or a little red book or whatever else is what got them cleaned up, then that's what did it.

Dahoss9698
12-23-2010, 01:02 PM
There is equivocation in this quote, so I'm thinking it must be some former "experimenter" with drugs -- Clinton or Obama?

Boxcar

Let me be the one to disappoint you...it's Pat Robertson.

bigmack
12-23-2010, 01:16 PM
For afore harvest, when the bud is perfect and the sour grape is ripening in the flower, he shall cut off the sprigs with pruning hooks and take away and cut down the branches. (ISAIAH 18:4-5) :cool:

mostpost
12-23-2010, 01:31 PM

Answer: Anyone with common sense.
Now I will look it up.

TJDave
12-23-2010, 01:33 PM
To me, if the Penal System is turning youths into hardened criminals, then there is a problem with the Penal System in how they are dealt with, not necessarily a problem of what's been criminalized.

Lawbreaking is a choice. If you do the crime, be prepared to do the time.

IMO, the best way to cure antisocial behavior is disproportionate penalties with strict enforcement. Whether it's jaywalking, spitting on the sidewalk or smoking marijuana.

Excluding crimes of passion, the more people have to lose the less is their inclination to commit them.

mostpost
12-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Unless you are selling it and therefore a drug dealer - it is a myth that our prisons are over crowded with MJ smokers.
You are not quite right, but pretty close.
http://www.mahalo.com/answers/how-many-people-are-in-jail-for-marijuana-related-crimes-how-much-does-that-cost-society-what-percentage-are-violent
I guess it comes down to should anyone be in prison for personal use of marijuana.

Tom
12-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Why is MJ illegal when the government says that one lousy ciggy can kill you and they are on the market?

Duh.

Saratoga_Mike
12-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Why is MJ illegal when the government says that one lousy ciggy can kill you and they are on the market?

Duh.

I must say with complete sincerity, you're making a whole lot of sense lately!

boxcar
12-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Let me be the one to disappoint you...it's Pat Robertson.

You ASSumed incorrectly. Why do you think I'd be disappointed? I've never been a fan of his. He leaves too much to be desired, theologically.

Boxcar

TJDave
12-23-2010, 02:18 PM

Duh.

Ask yourself this question:

Would you feel as safe knowing that drivers were smoking joints instead of cigarettes? :rolleyes:

Saratoga_Mike
12-23-2010, 02:21 PM

Would you feel as safe knowing that drivers were smoking joints instead of cigarettes? :rolleyes:

Versus the person who just imbibed 5 martinis in 2 hours?

mostpost
12-23-2010, 02:23 PM

Time and place of consumption is important. Just as I don't want anyone to drive if they have been over served, so also I don't want anyone driving after smoking Marijuana. Or while.

Black Ruby
12-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Not advocating smoking dope and driving, but I think that people talking on a cell or texting are more likely to cause an accident. And if the stoner causes an accident, it's probably gonna be at 20 mph.

TJDave
12-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Versus the person who just imbibed 5 martinis in 2 hours?

Based on body weight, time and alcohol content we know the effects of consuming a particular volume of distilled spirits.

I know some folks who have a high tolerance for marijuana and others who get stupid on one hit.

Backatcha.

TJDave
12-23-2010, 02:46 PM
if the stoner causes an accident, it's probably gonna be at 20 mph.

There's also a good chance that whomever he/she hits will be going much faster. ;)

ArlJim78
12-23-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't think the laws are doing much good at this point, and probably create more problems than they prevent. But as to what is behind Pat Robertsons statement, I have no clue. frankly I consider him to be a crackpot anyway. (pun intended)

bigmack
12-23-2010, 03:06 PM
I must say with complete sincerity, you're making a whole lot of sense lately!
Wow, Tom. Isn't that special?

boxcar
12-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Lawbreaking is a choice. If you do the crime, be prepared to do the time.

IMO, the best way to cure antisocial behavior is disproportionate penalties with strict enforcement. Whether it's jaywalking, spitting on the sidewalk or smoking marijuana.

Excluding crimes of passion, the more people have to lose the less is their inclination to commit them.

Man...you're hard. You'd be a tough sell for a great entrepreneurial, sure thing money-making idea I have. But permit me to present it to you, anyway. You might change your mind. Ready? But a word of caution: To get the full-blown plan off the ground, it would require a large sum of "start-up" money -- but not to fear because the outlay would be soon be worth it.

A person would form a well-heeled lobby to press Congress to pass legislation legalizing "recreational drugs". Of course, he'd want to broaden the definition of this phrase as much as possible to include coke, for example, since many already consider this to be a recreational drug.

Next, he'd have to position himself with all the corrupt politicians with whom he would have already greased to get the legislation passed to get them to enact the the next phase of the plan which be the licensed, regulated Retail Sales-Distribution outlets of the drugs.

The third phase to this plan would be to set up Rehab Centers that would administer "cures" to all those people to whom the retail drug operations have sold drugs, thereby becoming a party to their abuses or addictions in the first place. In many cases, the treatments would be subsidized by the government (i.e. taxpayer dollars) because many would be be able to afford treatment on their own. How sweet it is!

However, if someone really wanted to press their ambitions, they could take this to the highest level by insisting that Congress, in the name of "social justice" (of course), write a bill and pass it that would allow the issuance of Recreational Drug Cards (very similar to Food Stamp Cards) to all welfare recipients or low income earners. After all, how fair would it be to have only the "privileged few", who could afford the "recreational activities", participate in them? The lobby would argue that such disparities in opportunities would be socially unjust because it would deprive the lower economic classes of the opportunity to partake in the recreational fun times and drug-induced happy hours in which their wealthier counterparts are able to enjoy. Now, the savvy entrepreneur would have government-subsidized funding to add to the Sales side of his operations.

And what makes this scheme all the more brilliant is that it isn't likely that social-economic conditions in this county will improve very much in the future. A steady decline in the economy would slowly but surely induce mass
psychological problems, including varying degrees of despair, depression, etc. These kinds of conditions would guarantee increased sales because desires for drug use would grow exponentially, which in turn would generate even more sales for the rehab side of the business.

In short, this would be a Guaranteed Business Opportunity because the businesses would be self-perpetuating. In fact, the businesses would be modeling themselves after the government! Is not the U.S. government growing leaps and bounds every day? Government does this because it, too, is a self-perpetuating operation. It market and sells what many citizens "crave for", i.e. safety nets big enough to cover virtually all areas of their lives. Of course, all this is bought and paid for by those who don't share in those addictive cravings but are the more independent-minded, responsible and productive members of society. As long as the government has a group of Givers and a group of Takers (addicts), it can't help but grow and become a huge successful operation!

Finally, my entrepreneurial plan should work wonders for the economy.
If Unemployment Benefit Checks stimulate the economy so well, how could not all the flow of cash in this scheme also stimulate the economy -- not to mention make the CEO and various Operations' Officers filthy rich? :lol: :lol:

Boxcar

DJofSD
12-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Lets remove any and all laws that prohibit use and possession of any drug for personal use. At the same time, lets remove any and all laws pertaining to guns of all types along with the ammunition.

It's all the same thing, right? Nothing happens, no one else gets hurt. But it is when the drugs or weapons are misused other people get maimed, crippled or killed.

boxcar
12-23-2010, 03:18 PM

Tom has a valid point, Dave, because MaryJane can become psychologically addictive and can even lead to use of harder drugs, and this in turn is detrimental to society. Just as so many people think the grass is always greener on the other side; so, too, you will always have those willing to experiment with better highs. The only problem is: Those highs are not only "better" (i.e. more potent) but they can be deadly, too.

Boxcar

Dahoss9698
12-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Tom has a valid point, Dave, because MaryJane can become psychologically addictive and can even lead to use of harder drugs, and this in turn is detrimental to society. Just as so many people think the grass is always greener on the other side; so, too, you will always have those willing to experiment with better highs. The only problem is: Those highs are not only "better" (i.e. more potent) but they can be deadly, too.

Boxcar

Lots of ASSuming here.

Dahoss9698
12-23-2010, 03:37 PM
You ASSumed incorrectly. Why do you think I'd be disappointed? I've never been a fan of his. He leaves too much to be desired, theologically.

Boxcar

You'd be disappointed because it wasn't who you ASSumed it was.

boxcar
12-23-2010, 04:16 PM
You'd be disappointed because it wasn't who you ASSumed it was.

Quit your juvenile baiting. You only betray your level of immaturity, which right about now appears to be down around the sandbox level.

Boxcar

TJDave
12-23-2010, 04:38 PM

Boxcar

Tom questioned why cigarettes were legal and marijuana, not.

That cigarettes could kill the user and presumably, marijuana, not.

My point was that although cigarettes might kill the user, the marijuana user might kill me.

boxcar
12-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Tom questioned why cigarettes were legal and marijuana, not.

That cigarettes could kill the user and presumably, marijuana, not.

My point was that although cigarettes might kill the user, the marijuana user might kill me.

I didn't interpret Tom's post that way. Although, I won't presume to speak for Tom, how I saw the underlying premise behind his question is that both substances can lead to self-destructive behavior (albeit in different ways) and both can also have detrimental effects on society. This being said, your point is valid, too. I, too, would prefer driving on a road filled with 'baccy puffers than wacky weed toters. :D

Boxcar

Saratoga_Mike
12-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Wow, Tom. Isn't that special?

In my opinion, you’re fishing for a compliment, too, BigMack. But Tom earned his compliment by making a very persuasive and poignant argument in another thread. After reading some of your recent posts, I can’t compliment you. Why? You still have anger management and control issues, in my opinion.

The funny part is you can’t disagree with me or tell me I’m wrong. Why? Well I’ve done nothing but state my opinion, and a very smart man stated empathically last night that an opinion can never be wrong.

bigmack
12-23-2010, 05:10 PM
The funny part is you can’t disagree with me or tell me I’m wrong.
And here I figured your comment was a way of saying Tom hadn't made sense in the past. I read you all wrong.

You're a mensch. :ThmbUp:

Saratoga_Mike
12-23-2010, 05:11 PM
And here I figured your comment was a way of saying Tom hadn't made sense in the past. I read you all wrong.

You're a mensch. :ThmbUp:

You showed me.

bigmack
12-23-2010, 05:14 PM
You showed me.
Huh? You know what a mensch is?

Saratoga_Mike
12-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Huh? You know what a mensch is?

Your response didn't refute anything I said. It was weak. Ergo, the sarcasm. And I don't take you very seriously, so you won't offend me. Resort to more ad hominem attacks if you like. That or anger.

boxcar
12-23-2010, 05:19 PM
_Well I’ve done nothing but state my opinion, and a very smart man stated empathically last night that an opinion can never be wrong.

That theory could easily be blown to smithereens by making any highly controversial statement on this forum or most others for that matter. In fact, the wrong statement or question would probably get most people kicked off any self-respecting forum. :D

Boxcar

Saratoga_Mike
12-23-2010, 05:20 PM
That theory could easily be blown to smithereens by making any highly controversial statement on this forum or most others for that matter. In fact, the wrong statement or question would probably get most people kicked off any self-respecting forum. :D

Boxcar

I hate when you and I agree. You don't know the context of the statement.

Saratoga_Mike
12-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Anyway is the statement from Pat Robertson or not?

boxcar
12-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Anyway is the statement from Pat Robertson or not?

Have I not addressed this previously?

Boxcar

boxcar
12-23-2010, 05:31 PM
I hate when you and I agree. You don't know the context of the statement.

Why do you prefer divisions, discord and disagreements over the virtues of unity, harmony and agreement?

Boxcar

hcap
12-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Man...you're hard. You'd be a tough sell for a great entrepreneurial, sure thing money-making idea I have. But permit me to present it to you, anyway. You might change your mind. Ready? But a word of caution: To get the full-blown plan off the ground, it would require a large sum of "start-up" money -- but not to fear because the outlay would be soon be worth it.

A person would form a well-heeled lobby to press Congress to pass legislation legalizing "recreational drugs". Of course, he'd want to broaden the definition of this phrase as much as possible to include coke, for example, since many already consider this to be a recreational drug.

Next, he'd have to position himself with all the corrupt politicians with whom he would have already greased to get the legislation passed to get them to enact the the next phase of the plan which be the licensed, regulated Retail Sales-Distribution outlets of the drugs.

The third phase to this plan would be to set up Rehab Centers that would administer "cures" to all those people to whom the retail drug operations have sold drugs, thereby becoming a party to their abuses or addictions in the first place. In many cases, the treatments would be subsidized by the government (i.e. taxpayer dollars) because many would be be able to afford treatment on their own. How sweet it is!

However, if someone really wanted to press their ambitions, they could take this to the highest level by insisting that Congress, in the name of "social justice" (of course), write a bill and pass it that would allow the issuance of Recreational Drug Cards (very similar to Food Stamp Cards) to all welfare recipients or low income earners. After all, how fair would it be to have only the "privileged few", who could afford the "recreational activities", participate in them? The lobby would argue that such disparities in opportunities would be socially unjust because it would deprive the lower economic classes of the opportunity to partake in the recreational fun times and drug-induced happy hours in which their wealthier counterparts are able to enjoy. Now, the savvy entrepreneur would have government-subsidized funding to add to the Sales side of his operations.

And what makes this scheme all the more brilliant is that it isn't likely that social-economic conditions in this county will improve very much in the future. A steady decline in the economy would slowly but surely induce mass
psychological problems, including varying degrees of despair, depression, etc. These kinds of conditions would guarantee increased sales because desires for drug use would grow exponentially, which in turn would generate even more sales for the rehab side of the business.

In short, this would be a Guaranteed Business Opportunity because the businesses would be self-perpetuating. In fact, the businesses would be modeling themselves after the government! Is not the U.S. government growing leaps and bounds every day? Government does this because it, too, is a self-perpetuating operation. It market and sells what many citizens "crave for", i.e. safety nets big enough to cover virtually all areas of their lives. Of course, all this is bought and paid for by those who don't share in those addictive cravings but are the more independent-minded, responsible and productive members of society. As long as the government has a group of Givers and a group of Takers (addicts), it can't help but grow and become a huge successful operation!

Finally, my entrepreneurial plan should work wonders for the economy.
If Unemployment Benefit Checks stimulate the economy so well, how could not all the flow of cash in this scheme also stimulate the economy -- not to mention make the CEO and various Operations' Officers filthy rich? :lol: :lol:
Man, I think you love the sound of your own voice. Do you do nothing but post on PA off topic?

Suggestion:
Buy a bag of potato chips, turn on a ridiculously FUNNY movie and unlike Clinton inhale.

Saratoga_Mike
12-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Have I not addressed this previously?

Boxcar

No, you merely told dahoss he was mistaken about your affection for Pat Robertson.

Perhaps you called out somone else in post 29, but it so long that I opted not to read it.

Saratoga_Mike
12-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Why do you prefer divisions, discord and disagreements over the virtues of unity, harmony and agreement?

Boxcar

I've never seen you post anything funny before. If it was intentional, keep it up.

boxcar
12-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Man, I think you love the sound of your own voice. Do you do nothing but post on PA off topic?

Suggestion:
Buy a bag of potato chips, turn on a ridiculously FUNNY movie and unlike Clinton inhale.

Yeah...in my neck of the woods, it's illegal to inhale what you're suggesting. I ain't going to the clinker to please you. But I am open to your funny movies suggestion, although I would think that we'd have different viewing tastes, too.

Boxcar
P.S. And movies and chips? Are you okay? And to this day, you still buy into Clinton's story? You'll believe anything! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

boxcar
12-23-2010, 06:43 PM
No, you merely told dahoss he was mistaken about your affection for Pat Robertson.

Perhaps you called out somone else in post 29, but it so long that I opted not to read it.

Then I opt to not repeat myself.

Boxcar

skate
12-24-2010, 04:14 PM

Suggestion:

"boo"!

boxcar
12-24-2010, 04:33 PM
"boo"!

Don't scare him anymore than he is. As it is, he shrunk back in horror after reading the truth of my analogy -- pretty much the way a vampire would when confronted with a crucifix. :D

Boxcar

Dahoss9698
12-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Don't scare him anymore than he is. As it is, he shrunk back in horror after reading the truth of my analogy -- pretty much the way a vampire would when confronted with a crucifix. :D

Boxcar

Quit your juvenile baiting. You only betray your level of immaturity, which right about now appears to be down around the sandbox level.

skate
12-24-2010, 05:29 PM

Boxcar

you gotta be careful these days, some can just go off and translate your post into Mein Kampf...:)

HUSKER55
12-24-2010, 11:52 PM
Mosty, did I read your graph right? 2.7% or less is the number of inmates in for marijuana related offenses and .7% were first timers.

BombsAway Bob
12-25-2010, 12:41 PM

Boxcar
i was a Kid in his teens around the time SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE
first exploded on the culture scene. (Aykroyd/Belushi/CChase era).
i never partook in the 'doobies' my friends snuck out for before
watching. After Two years of watching my stoned pals not turn into
Heroin Addicts or Acid Heads, i inhaled.
What got me trying Pot?
The "Dragnet" mentality.. Joe Friday said "Marijuana is the wick, Heroin
is the match, & LSD is the Bomb." PULLLLEEEZE!
Parents, Law, & teachers LIED to me about the "Evils" of Grass;
if they lied about that, maybe they lied about the other drugs?.
Let's end the NONSENSE! Allow US Tobacco companies to grow &
sell Grass. Tax revenue gained could support universal health care,
get GRASS out of young kids hands, & allow Law Enforcement to go
after "HARD DRUGS".
i've had friends DIE from Alcohol... prescribed Pain Meds... obesity...
Yet NOT one friend or relative has ever succumbed to smoking a bone.
Happy X-Mas, & A (not too) Merry New Year!

boxcar
12-25-2010, 03:02 PM
What got me trying Pot?
after "HARD DRUGS".

Yupper...that's what we need in America -- more and more stoneheads voting and of course, more of the Almighty Dollar coming in. In the name of that Almighty Dollar, to how many murders has the government been accessory by continued legalization of a known killer -- tobacco?

The government in the name of Dollars and Power is no better than Murder, Inc. In addition to the sanctioned use of a recognized poison, which has killed hundreds of thousands of people (if not more) over all these years, the government's refusal to enforce its own immigration laws has accounted for untold numbers of murders of innocent American citizens at the the hands of illegal aliens -- all in the name of their lust for Power through the electoral system.

But I take much comfort in the continued claims of liberals that they have our best interests at heart.. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
12-25-2010, 03:26 PM
What got me trying Pot?
after "HARD DRUGS".

Couldn't have said it better, Bob. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

And for the record, I logged many a mile driving stoned in my younger days. Never had even one fender bender. Either I was just lucky or that's another myth perpetuated by somebody like Joe Friday.

So how about it? Has anyone here been involved in an accident caused by a driver who was smoking grass? :confused:

(I've been hit in my car twice by drunk drivers.)

boxcar
12-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Couldn't have said it better, Bob. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

And for the record, I logged many a mile driving stoned in my younger days. Never had even one fender bender. Either I was just lucky or that's another myth perpetuated by somebody like Joe Friday.

So how about it? Has anyone here been involved in an accident caused by a driver who was smoking grass? :confused:

(I've been hit in my car twice by drunk drivers.)

So, your experience proves what, exactly --that stoned drivers' reflexes are just as good as those who are not high? Is this your logical deduction, Dr. Watson? Or maybe you think stoned drivers drive even better than straight ones?

By the way, I knew someone who was killed in a crash by a driver who was high on drugs. In fact, two people were killed in that crash and a third badly injured who was in the car at the time, also. Of course, the stonehead survived (which seems to be so often the case) and was charged with the accident plus criminal charges.

Boxcar
P.S. I've never been hit by a drunk driver. Does this mean drunk driving is really okay?

Saratoga_Mike
12-25-2010, 04:14 PM
So, your experience proves what, exactly --that stoned drivers' reflexes are just as good as those who are not high? Is this your logical deduction, Dr. Watson? Or maybe you think stoned drivers drive even better than straight ones?

By the way, I knew someone who was killed in a crash by a driver who was high on drugs. In fact, two people were killed in that crash and a third badly injured who was in the car at the time, also. Of course, the stonehead survived (which seems to be so often the case) and was charged with the accident plus criminal charges.

Boxcar
P.S. I've never been hit by a drunk driver. Does this mean drunk driving is really okay?

Wow, a near perfect post, a true Christmas miracle!

boxcar
12-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Wow, a near perfect post, a true Christmas miracle!

Nah. The true Christmas miracle was the virgin birth. :)

Boxcar