PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question on breeding

hankbuck
12-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Sorry if this is an obvious one but...why do horses have to retire to be bred? Is this some sort of rule? Couldn't a horse (at least a male) be partly put out to stud and then race part of the year?

Bruddah
12-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Sorry if this is an obvious one but...why do horses have to retire to be bred? Is this some sort of rule? Couldn't a horse (at least a male) be partly put out to stud and then race part of the year?

Once a Stallion is taken out of training and introduced to mare's in season, they tend to want to do nothing else. As they say....Fahget aboutit! He has luvin' on his mind.

A good season of breeding produces many more $$$ of income than racing, without all the associated costs. The number and types of Wins while racing usually determines the price which charged for breeding. Especially the Stallions first couple years at stud.

KingChas
12-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Once a Stallion is taken out of training and introduced to mare's in season, they tend to want to do nothing else.

Ended my football career.......... :lol:

Bruddah
12-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Ended my football career.......... :lol:

Yeah! :lol: It was hard to keep my mind on anything else, once I got lucky. As Jethro would say, I didn't think I would ever gradiate the sixth grade! :D

KingChas
12-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Ahmen Bruddah...... ;)
I say that right?.....Happy Holidays.......... :D

Bruddah
12-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Ahmen Bruddah...... ;)
I say that right?.....Happy Holidays.......... :D

Same to you and all others here at PA. :ThmbUp: