PDA

View Full Version : You wonder about even the most basic marketing initiatives...

Milkshaker
12-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Just got an email from NTRA to let me know about the upcoming 2011 NHC Tour registration.

This is all well and good--I'd like to stay on top of upcoming contests, etc...

But what's the use of sending a marketing email without a link to the actual website or registration page?

Even better: The only link provided in the email is the "unsubscribe" link, which is about one-third of the total email text.

Go figure.

InsideThePylons-MW
12-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Just think how much racing would prosper if the NTRA somehow gets a majority of handicappers to just play tournaments with imaginary bankrolls.

NTamm1215
12-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Just think how much racing would prosper if the NTRA somehow gets a majority of handicappers to just play tournaments with imaginary bankrolls.

Because those people never bet with any real money ever, right?

InsideThePylons-MW
12-21-2010, 09:13 PM

Maybe you didn't see the "just play tournaments" in my post.

NTamm1215
12-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Maybe you didn't see the "just play tournaments" in my post.

A number of the tournaments on the NHC schedule yearly are live money events. In fact, I'd say the number of those has increased substantially in the last few years.

The NTRA can be taken to task for a lot of things, but I don't think the NHC is one of them.

InsideThePylons-MW
12-21-2010, 09:28 PM

Getting back to the point. A friend of mine who plays in these tournaments on an avg weekend bets about 60K-100K. When he goes to these tournaments, he bets no more than 20% of that. Why? First, because he's a moron....Second, because the tourneys take him out of his element, make him focus on tracks he doesn't normally bet and takes him out of the evening wagering equation.

The funniest thing I love about the tourney players is that the few times I've went and visited, everytime, without fail, there are numerous fools who are doing the happy dance after they just got a big longshot to win but when asked how much they bet on it, the answer is $0.

InsideThePylons-MW
12-21-2010, 09:31 PM
A number of the tournaments on the NHC schedule yearly are live money events. In fact, I'd say the number of those has increased substantially in the last few years.

The NTRA can be taken to task for a lot of things, but I don't think the NHC is one of them.

I understand the live money are different.

I also know that the live money participation seems to be a very small fraction of the imaginary money participation.

The "live money" racing tournament equivalent to the WSOP Main Event, The Breeder's Cup Handicapping Challenge, drew a humongous field of 95 this year and that included 21 of those being given away online.

NTamm1215
12-21-2010, 09:44 PM
I understand the live money are different.

I also know that the live money participation seems to be a very small fraction of the imaginary money participation.

The "live money" racing tournament equivalent to the WSOP Main Event, The Breeder's Cup Handicapping Challenge, drew a humongous field of 95 this year and that included 21 of those being given away online.

They haven't caught onto pricing the live money tournaments properly. 10k for the BC Betting Challenge is just ludicrous. The Fair Grounds had a tournament in March 2009 for 3k. Hollywood, SA, and Del Mar all have 5k tournaments, or somewhere around there.

I've played in the NHC, the people there were betting plenty. Were they betting what they normally do? Who knows, but them playing in tournaments on a regular basis certainly can't be a bad thing.

InsideThePylons-MW
12-21-2010, 10:03 PM
They haven't caught onto pricing the live money tournaments properly. 10k for the BC Betting Challenge is just ludicrous.

Ludicrous? The cost is $2500....that's what goes into the prize pool. The other $7500 is your money to bet with. It's just like if you had that money in your pocket.

$2500 for 100% return of entry fee, $40,000 added, 6 seats to NHC added, and admission/seats/food for 2 both days at BC.

If that's ludicrous pricing, then racing and live money tournaments are fvcked.

NTamm1215
12-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Ludicrous? The cost is $2500....that's what goes into the prize pool. The other $7500 is your money to bet with. It's just like if you had that money in your pocket.

$2500 for 100% return of entry fee, $40,000 added, 6 seats to NHC added, and admission/seats/food for 2 both days at BC.

If that's ludicrous pricing, then racing and live money tournaments are fvcked.

The cost is 10k. If you need $7,500 to bet with then that needs to be factored in as a cost. The amount of people that are betting $7,500 on the Breeders' Cup is limited and whether you want to spin it as a $2500 entry fee matters not, it costs 10k to play in the tournament.

I'm still not understanding what your problem is with the NHC and qualifying tournaments other than having a friend who doesn't bet as much when he plays in tournaments.