PDA

View Full Version : The Life & Times of "The Dude"

bigmack
12-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Jeff Bridges has had a nice run of late. He's a good cat with a clever site.
http://www.jeffbridges.com/

Nice to see an actor not selling out like De Niro & Hoffman doing that inane 'Focker' mess of a franchise. What total sell outs. :ThmbDown:

From what I've heard of Bridges he remains true.

http://www.hollywoodoutbreak.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/jeff-bridges.jpg

sammy the sage
12-21-2010, 08:36 PM
True to WHAT :confused:

He's playing in True Grit...and he can't hold a candle to the "Duke"...it's ALL about the money...and who's the sell-out again :lol:

bigmack
12-21-2010, 08:41 PM

He's playing in True Grit...and he can't hold a candle to the "Duke"...it's ALL about the money...and who's the sell-out again :lol:
You've seen the remake?

skate
12-21-2010, 08:42 PM
could you esplain "the sell-out"?

Relwob Owner
12-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Jeff Bridges has had a nice run of late. He's a good cat with a clever site.
http://www.jeffbridges.com/

Nice to see an actor not selling out like De Niro & Hoffman doing that inane 'Focker' mess of a franchise. What total sell outs. :ThmbDown:

From what I've heard of Bridges he remains true.

http://www.hollywoodoutbreak.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/jeff-bridges.jpg

Tron Legacy????????

Not the deepest of roles, nor the deepest of plots and seems to go against your case a bit, no?

WeirdWilly
12-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Tron Legacy????????

Not the deepest of roles, nor the deepest of plots and seems to go against your case a bit, no?

Whatever other showbiz sins he has committed (and they are legion) remains the fact that he is "The Dude" (as well as "Lightfoot")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_and_Lightfoot

For those two roles alone, I can forgive him for almost anything else!

JustRalph
12-22-2010, 02:02 AM

I was a little upset about them remaking that film, but lately I have been reading that this version is a very close making straight from the book it was based on. They aren't really trying a remake per se, but trying to make a grittier more true version that holds to the book.

That makes it interesting to me. I might go see it, I might wait until it's on DVD or On Demand. But it does now interest me.

I was thinking there might have been a better casting choice instead of Jeff Bridges, but I think he is on a hot streak........who else could have pulled it off ? Who knows. I would have loved it if they would have offered Robert Duval a cameo though.

My wife has spent some time with Beau and Jeff Bridges, and their mother. The mother was a class act according to my wife.

She tells me that the boys are very much like her and they get it honest from their parents. Jeff Bridges was very polite to fans publicly and the grandchildren were very very nice kids to be around. It takes something for kids to impress my wife. :lol:

Relwob Owner
12-22-2010, 05:53 AM
Whatever other showbiz sins he has committed (and they are legion) remains the fact that he is "The Dude" (as well as "Lightfoot")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_and_Lightfoot

For those two roles alone, I can forgive him for almost anything else!

It just seemed like strange timing to start a thread about him that chastises others for selling out, right after JB stars in a high action, low brain film that could easily be put in the same selling out category.....

That being said, I think JB is awesome...loved him in Seabiscuit and many of his other movies, especially way back in Jagged Edge....

chickenhead
12-22-2010, 12:23 PM
I read a story about the Tron guys, they went to Bridges house and after a few minutes nervously started to pitch it to him. The original Tron did poor box office, really only famous with nerds and from the video arcade game. Was way too far ahead of its time. He told them hold on a minute, left and came back with the original Tron helmet on. Then they all went outside and walked around his grounds, taking pictures of each other wearing the helmet. And that was that.

Sounds like The Dude had a soft spot for Tron.

mostpost
12-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Remakes are often the result of a lazy or unimaginative director trying to take a free ride on someone else's gravy train. I would say not the case here.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/true-grit-2010/
101 out of 105 give it a favorable review. Interestingly, one of the negative reviewers spent most of his review being offended that someone had the nerve to do a remake of one of John Wayne's movies. I wonder where he was when the Doug McClure version of Stagecoach came out.

John Wayne was an icon who played John Wayne in almost every movie he was in. Jeff Bridges can definitely hold a candle to him as an actor.

Tom
12-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Whoa, there, Pilgrim.
You're talking about the Duke there.

Why watch a remake when you can go see the orginal again?

TJDave
12-22-2010, 02:30 PM
I can't wait to see this film! The Cohen brothers, Bridges and Brolin...How can it miss? "No Country for Old Men" has become one of my 'top five' films and "Crazy Heart" is another masterpiece. My one complaint is the casting of Matt Damon but I'll probably overlook it.

BTW, I'm a huge Wayne fan yet believe "The Shootist" to be his best work. Also consider it the most perfectly cast movie of its genre.

Tom
12-22-2010, 03:01 PM
The Shootist...yes! Right behind the Man Who Shot Liberty Valence.

"That's MY steak, Liberty. Pick it up!"

teddy
12-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Tron Legacy????????

Tron sucked in the original. I cant comprehend why anyone would remake a flop

teddy
12-22-2010, 03:25 PM
I was a little upset about them remaking that film, but lately I have been reading that this version is a very close making straight from the book it was based on. They aren't really trying a remake per se, but trying to make a grittier more true version that holds to the book.

That makes it interesting to me. I might go see it, I might wait until it's on DVD or On Demand. But it does now interest me.

I was thinking there might have been a better casting choice instead of Jeff Bridges, but I think he is on a hot streak........who else could have pulled it off ? Who knows. I would have loved it if they would have offered Robert Duval a cameo though.

My wife has spent some time with Beau and Jeff Bridges, and their mother. The mother was a class act according to my wife.

She tells me that the boys are very much like her and they get it honest from their parents. Jeff Bridges was very polite to fans publicly and the grandchildren were very very nice kids to be around. It takes something for kids to impress my wife. :lol:

Im guessing just the fact that movie science has advanced so much will make it good... lots of exploding body parts.

bigmack
12-22-2010, 03:41 PM
It just seemed like strange timing to start a thread about him that chastises others for selling out, right after JB stars in a high action, low brain film that could easily be put in the same selling out category.....
Di Nero & Hoffman heralded as 'the greatest actors of our generation' running around delivering "Focker" lines compared with a remake for nerds that was called The Grandfather of the geek cult movies?

I don't recall JB ever being referred to as one of the great actors. Di Nero has become a joke.

FantasticDan
12-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Now how could you watch this SNL sketch from a couple weeks ago and still say De Niro has become a joke?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/05/blizzard-man-robert-de-ni_n_792235.html

;)

chrisl
12-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Thunderbolt and lightfoot now theirs a great classic. I just watched it again a couple of weeks ago.

Relwob Owner
12-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Di Nero & Hoffman heralded as 'the greatest actors of our generation' running around delivering "Focker" lines compared with a remake for nerds that was called The Grandfather of the geek cult movies?

I don't recall JB ever being referred to as one of the great actors. Di Nero has become a joke.

If you are going to rip a guy, maybe take the time to at least see how to spell his name correctly?????

I dont see where a "remake for nerds" is that much different quality and content wise than what De Niro and Hoffman are doing. TRON is basically a remake of a terrible movie and is the kind of high budget, low brain movie that many would consider a "sell out" roile as well....

Not too sure where your De Niro/Hoffman anger comes from....I imagine maybe at this point in their careers, the Fockers movies are easy, light hearted movies that they enjoy doing....with their resumes and amazing roles in the past, I think they deserve the right to choose to do whatever they want.

bigmack
12-22-2010, 06:16 PM
If you are going to rip a guy, maybe take the time to at least see how to spell his name correctly?????
If I spelled it correctly as in post 1, how many question marks would you be willing to subtract from the dramatic 5?

"Selling-out" to me is a fall from grace. I greatly respected the work of Di Neroh & Hoffmoon. Arguably, the fall for JB to do Tron ain't hardly that of those two doing that rubbish. If we accept they were some of the greats it would be akin to Rembrandt painting the Mona Lisa and then coming out with a series of stick figures.

ArlJim78
12-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Not a big fan of westerns, and Matt Damon is on my do not watch under any circumstances list.

However I will definitely make an exception to see True Grit because of the Coen brothers and Jeff Bridges who I really admire.

If you haven't done so check out Bridges in Angel Heart.

Relwob Owner
12-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Not a big fan of westerns, and Matt Damon is on my do not watch under any circumstances list.

However I will definitely make an exception to see True Grit because of the Coen brothers and Jeff Bridges who I really admire.

Awesome in that....did you ever see Jagged Edge? Always thought it was one of the more underrated movies during those years and he was incredible in it.....I am intrigued with and support your Matt Damon policy. Intrigued mainly because he is so popular and I have never understood why

JustRalph
12-22-2010, 06:29 PM

Great performance, crappy cliched movie

bigmack
12-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Agreed.

Arlington Road was a good one.

nk2CPzIgBRo

Relwob Owner
12-22-2010, 06:42 PM
If I spelled it correctly as in post 1, how many question marks would you be willing to subtract from the dramatic 5?

"Selling-out" to me is a fall from grace. I greatly respected the work of Di Neroh & Hoffmoon. Arguably, the fall for JB to do Tron ain't hardly that of those two doing that rubbish. If we accept they were some of the greats it would be akin to Rembrandt painting the Mona Lisa and then coming out with a series of stick figures.

From your first to second post, you forgot how to spell his name?.....focus my man,focus

You are now adding a "fall from grace" caveat to cover for an initial argument that made no sense......you said in your initial post that Bridges didnt sell out like RD and DH....no "fall from grace" or other caveats-Bridges just put out Tron, the Legacy which seems like it is right in the wheelhouse of sell out and thus refutes your comparison....make sense???????(7 question marks).

Now, if you are going to add the fall from grace component to selling out, it seems more reasonable. However, with that argument, I would say Bridges in Tron is definitely a fall from grace as well, considering some of the fine work he has done.

Relwob Owner
12-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Agreed.

Arlington Road was a good one.

nk2CPzIgBRo

Now that is a post I can agree with....awesome movie

bigmack
12-22-2010, 06:46 PM
You are now adding a "fall from grace" caveat to cover for an initial argument that made no sense......you said in your initial post that Bridges didnt sell out like RD and DH....no "fall from grace" or other caveats-Bridges just put out Tron, the Legacy which seems like it is right in the wheelhouse of sell out and thus refutes your comparison....make sense???????(7 question marks).
Argument that made no sense? What are you dense? We disagree. I stand by my point. Buzz off.

ArlJim78
12-22-2010, 06:46 PM
I agree, the movie wasn't much, but he was all in on that role.

Relwob Owner
12-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Argument that made no sense? What are you dense? We disagree. I stand by my point. Buzz off.

Easy tiger......your argument didnt make any sense and calling me "dense" and telling me to "buzz off" shows you cant handle a discussion. Too bad for you.

You said Bridges wasnt a sell out
He sold out huge in Tron
Your point makes no sense
Being told your point makes no sense and realizing it doesnt makes you angry

Just sitting here buzzin........

bigmack
12-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Just sitting here buzzin........
A mere troll. What fun.

Relwob Owner
12-22-2010, 06:57 PM
A mere troll. What fun.

More name calling, what fun. Funny how you dont seem to be able to debate when someone disagrees with you and default to "are you dense", "buzz off" and "you are a troll"....good moves for someone who cant debate a topic back and forth so I would stick with it moving forward.

I am guessing the words "I was wrong" dont come out of you too often?

Is a troll someone who disagrees with you? If so, you must be surrounded by them if you always come up with gems like you did in your first post in this thread.

Have a good one BM

JustRalph
12-22-2010, 08:45 PM
I am calling for a truce between you guys. I happen to like both of you and think you guys got off on the wrong foot here .

As a personal request from me, let's start over. You guys are both good guys. Let's hit the reset button

Relwob Owner
12-22-2010, 08:54 PM
I am calling for a truce between you guys. I happen to like both of you and think you guys got off on the wrong foot here .

As a personal request from me, let's start over. You guys are both good guys. Let's hit the reset button

A truce is never a bad thing JR and I am always up for it....funny thing is we both like Bridges!

bigmack
12-22-2010, 10:36 PM
I think Hoffman & De Neroh are sell outs. That's my opinion. Anyone wants to think JB is a sell out - Live it up. It done be a dopey stance to try and say someones opinion is wrong.

Time will tell if a truce is warranted.

Relwob Owner
12-22-2010, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=bigmack]I think Hoffman & De Neroh are sell outs. That's my opinion. Anyone wants to think JB is a sell out - Live it up. It done be a dopey stance to try and say someones opinion is wrong.

Time will tell if a truce is warranted.[/QUOTE

Wow....what would make the truce warranted BM? Me laying down and agreeing with you, I suppose?

To clarify-you don't like it when people say your opinion is wrong, correct?

Then, you said that my stance is dopey, which is essentially doing the same thing to me that you are saying that I did to you.

Thoughts? Please try as hard as you possibly can to answer in a way that doesn't involve calling me a name or telling me to buzz off....

bigmack
12-22-2010, 11:05 PM
To clarify-you don't like it when people say your opinion is wrong, correct?
WTF is wrong with you? My opinion is wrong? Are you nuts?

If I said I liked Bartok and thought Beethoven was too schmaltzy would you say I was wrong?

I don't deal with dense people. Again, buzz off.

Relwob Owner
12-22-2010, 11:12 PM
[QUOTE=bigmack]WTF is wrong with you? My opinion is wrong? Are you nuts?

If I said I liked Bartok and thought Beethoven was too schmaltzy would you say I was wrong?

I don't deal with dense people. Again, buzz off.[/QUOTE

Come on BM....I asked if you could reply without name calling and you call me dense? You can do better than that.....

Again, you don't like someone saying your opinion is wrong but you said my stance....which is another word for opinion....is dopey....do you see how hypocritical this is?

You keep saying I think your opinion is wrong.....not really sure if that is the case. I said I disagreed with it and it didn't make sense to me...
Why are you so angry? Does someone disagreeing with you really make you this angry? Lest see if you can answer without calling me a name but it is 1 to 5 you can't........

bigmack
12-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Again, you don't like someone saying your opinion is wrong but you said my stance....which is another word for opinion....is dopey....do you see how hypocritical this is?
Go ahead and send me a PM and we'll see if we can get to the bottom of you not understanding that you're out of your mind saying that someones opinion is wrong.

Two days from now I'll say "I like blue." You then say "you're wrong." Then I call you dense. Get it?

Spare the general public this idiocy and send me a PM if you want to learn about opinions. :bang:

Relwob Owner
12-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Go ahead and send me a PM and we'll see if we can get to the bottom of you not understanding that you're out of your mind saying that someones opinion is wrong.

Two days from now I'll say "I like blue." You then say "you're wrong." Then I call you dense. Get it?

Spare the general public this idiocy and send me a PM if you want to learn about opinions. :bang:

I will pass.....been called enough names for one night and being told I am out of my mind doesnt bode well for anything.....we will just agree to disagree on stuff.....not that big of a deal.

I will agree that we can spare the general public the back and forth....don't forget, though, that I did agree with you about Arlington Road!

Have a good night BM

bigmack
12-22-2010, 11:41 PM
we will just agree to disagree on stuff.
:lol:

You're getting less dense. Wowser! :bang:

Relwob Owner
12-22-2010, 11:52 PM
:lol:

You're getting less dense. Wowser! :bang:

Have a good night BM

JustRalph
12-23-2010, 12:24 AM
http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/ckozlowski/2010/12/22/true-grit-review-a-more-than-worthy-remake-of-a-john-wayne-classic/#more-428760

‘True Grit’ Review: A More Than Worthy Remake of a John Wayne Classic
by Carl Kozlowski

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/files/2010/12/true_grit_movie_image_jeff_bridges_hailee_steinfel d_hi-res.jpg

http://reason.com/archives/2010/12/22/true-grit

JustRalph
12-23-2010, 03:08 AM

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/12/21/little-fockers-review/

Da little Fockers are not making any Oscar Buzz apparently

bigmack
12-23-2010, 03:22 AM
http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/12/21/little-fockers-review/
Keitel and De Niro have one scene together, just so someone can say Keitel and De Niro had a scene together. Then Keitel disappears and is never mentioned again.
This period is as bad as Orson Wells hawkin' wine.

They've come a long way.

http://www.gonemovies.com/www/MyWebFilms/Drama/TaxiDriverNiroKeitel.jpg

PaceAdvantage
12-23-2010, 03:31 AM
Go ahead and send me a PM and we'll see if we can get to the bottom of you not understanding that you're out of your mind saying that someones opinion is wrong.I don't get it. Why is someone out of their mind for disagreeing with an opinion?

You say chocolate is the best flavor in the world. I say I disagree...vanilla is the best flavor.

What's the difference? If I disagree, I'm basically saying I think you're wrong, am I not?

All in all, a tad touchy if you ask me...I'm thinking "The Dude" would not approve of all this bickering.

And when the hell has DeNiro EVER been the kind of actor to say NO to a role? I love the guy as an actor...one of my favorites of all time, but he has done a LOT of movies...some of them below grade.

bigmack
12-23-2010, 03:43 AM
What's the difference? If I disagree, I'm basically saying I think you're wrong, am I not?
While RO has admitted the errors of his ways via PM how 'bout you buzzing off as well if you can't understand the difference between disagreeing with an opinion and saying someone is wrong? :cool:

PaceAdvantage
12-23-2010, 03:57 AM
While RO has admitted the errors of his ways via PM how 'bout you buzzing off as well if you can't understand the difference between disagreeing with an opinion and saying someone is wrong? :cool:Ah yes, the infamous PM exchange...:lol:

Always a classic around here...

And yes, I'm on vacation...and guys like you and Relwob keep me up at night, to answer your question as to why I am up at 4 in the morning here in NY.

bigmack
12-23-2010, 04:02 AM
And yes, I'm on vacation...and guys like you and Relwob keep me up at night, to answer your question as to why I am up at 4 in the morning here in NY.
Let it be known that the vanilla/chocolate "you're wrong" got a chuckle from this camp. At the age of 5 maybe.

If two people have differing OPINIONS adults usually figure out that one is not wrong or right but of a different viewpoint. :eek:

PaceAdvantage
12-23-2010, 04:05 AM
Let it be known that the vanilla/chocolate "you're wrong" got a chuckle from this camp. At the age of 5 maybe.

If two people have differing OPINIONS adults usually figure out that one is not wrong or right but of a different viewpoint. :eek:Let it be known that this camp acknowledges and appreciates the restraint you are showing in these last two replies. :lol:

Relwob Owner
12-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Ah yes, the infamous PM exchange...:lol:

Always a classic around here...

Hey Pace,

Sorry for my part of anything that polluted the board in any way last night.....should have gone the "agree to disagree" route a little sooner and BM and I would be all good like we are now.

Have a good holiday,

RO

bigmack
12-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Well lookie there; another smash hit. Next week look for the reunion of Milli Vanilli to top the pop charts.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/fock1.png

bigmack
12-30-2010, 02:15 AM
you said in your initial post that Bridges didnt sell out like RD and DH....no "fall from grace" or other caveats-Bridges just put out Tron, the Legacy which seems like it is right in the wheelhouse of sell out and thus refutes your comparison....make sense???????(7 question marks).
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/fockertomato.png http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/trontomato.png

For the record, almost EVERY review of Fockers refers to them selling-out. A sampling includes:

Hoffman actually does phone in his performance in what is a money grab for everyone, new director Paul Weitz included.

Lewd, vulgar and tiresome...to quote from Twitter: 'I bet the Robert DeNiro of 'Taxi Driver' would shoot the Robert DeNiro of 'Little Fockers.

It's tough to see your favorite actors grow old. It's even tougher to see them grow old and demean themselves in increasingly crappy movies. That's the greatest feeling (aside from displeasure) one will walk away with from Little Fockers

and then Ben Stiller sticks a needle into Academy Award winner Robert De Niro's drug-induced boner. No cineaste should have to watch the mighty fall so low.

Everybody's clearly in it for the money in a follow-up that, sporadic chuckles aside, proves the law of diminishing returns.

a shameless cash-grab that's been designed to capitalize on the success of its two predecessors.

There is being a good sport and there is career suicide, and De Niro is skating perilously close to the edge

Simply put, it feels like everyone in front of and behind the camera is phoning in their work while awaiting a handsome paycheck for their 'efforts.

Between them, Robert De Niro, Owen Wilson, Laura Dern, Dustin Hoffman and Barbra Streisand have 20 Academy Award nominations (six of them wins) in various categories. And yet none of them could think of anything better to do than appear in Little Fockers?

In the 200+ reviews of Tron, I didn't see one referring to Bridges as being a sell-out for doing a remake.

It's gone beyond my opinion. Looks like I'm right. :lol:

Relwob Owner
12-30-2010, 10:59 AM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/fockertomato.png http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/trontomato.png

For the record, almost EVERY review of Fockers refers to them selling-out. A sampling includes:

In the 200+ reviews of Tron, I didn't see one referring to Bridges as being a sell-out for doing a remake.

It's gone beyond my opinion. Looks like I'm right. :lol:

Wow. You went through all these reviews and put a lot of time into this, which is admirable. I must say that it is strange that you did all of this research to prove your opinion is correct, considering how much time you devoted to saying that an opinion cant be right or wrong.

Not to bog you down with more time consuming things, but your post inspires a few questions:

1. Did they ask any of the 200 reviewers if Bridges had sold out by doing Tron? The fact that they didnt mention it has no bearing on if he sold out....plus, the summary did refer to it being a lot of action with a small amount of plot, which was my contention about it from the get go.....

2. Why are you spending so much time on this since you contend opinions cant be right or wrong?

3. Do you normally put so much stock into what others think, as you have done here in such a time consuming fashion? I prefer to stick to my own opinions and analysis because going by what others say can end up with results that are off....much like the Horse of the Year poll on this site!

Happy New Year BM

bigmack
12-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Wow. You went through all these reviews and put a lot of time into this,
Musta been a whole 5 minutes. I didn't read one review of Tron. I assume no reviewer would take your position.

Let's just say that my opinion is greatly supported. Yours, not so much. :D

Relwob Owner
12-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Musta been a whole 5 minutes. I didn't read one review of Tron.

You didnt read one review of Tron? Then why in post number 52, did you write.....

One post, you referenced 200+ reviews and used them to support your opinion and now you are saying you didnt read one of them....can you explain this?

bigmack
12-30-2010, 01:24 PM
I quickly looked over quotes. Go and find one saying JB was a sell-out though. Unless you just want to play games.

Not too sure where your De Niro/Hoffman anger comes from....
Where do you suppose the anger comes from the scores of reviewers that felt they're sell-outs? :D

Face it, De Niro & Hoffman are major league sell-outs. You want to be the lone voice saying otherwise, feel free.

It's been real. :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
12-30-2010, 08:24 PM
De Niro hasn't exactly been super selective when taking roles throughout his career, wouldn't you agree?

Dahoss9698
12-30-2010, 08:40 PM
De Niro hasn't exactly been super selective when taking roles throughout his career, wouldn't you agree?

Neither has Pacino. At one point or another almost all of the best actors take an easy paycheck.

Even Jeff Bridges. Unless he took the part as the voice of Zeke "Big Z" Topanga in Surf's Up a few years ago because the script was just that good.