PDA

View Full Version : Have Your Say

Trotman
12-20-2010, 09:19 PM
There will be no opinion from this side. What good or bad points from anyone in the media that has made horse racing a better game, the things they have done or points or articles written that bettered the game.

Saratoga_Mike
12-20-2010, 09:28 PM
There will be no opinion from this side. What good or bad points from anyone in the media that has made horse racing a better game, the things they have done or points or articles written that bettered the game.

I think the recent "60 Minutes" piece brought a lot of attention to Zen and the BCC. Personally I didn't care for the piece, but it certainly helped shine a positive light on the sport.

Andy Beyer. I have a friend in Denver (I'm on the east coast) who doesn't follow racing cloesly at all. A few months ago, I mentioned something about racing to him and he said, "You know I always liked reading Andy Beyer in the Post (he's originally from Baltimore). Does he have a column anymore? What a writer." That was music to my ears, I admit. So Beyer certainly helps keep even the most casual fan involved.

Steve Crist. He's made the DRF a much better paper and brought back The American Racing Manual.

BUT it is NOT the media's job to make the game better. It sounds like you're a trainer or a groom. What have YOU done to make the sport a better game?

Trotman
12-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Saratoga Mike no just a handicapper for 40 or so years. I just wanted to hear others thoughts or opinions.

Saratoga_Mike
12-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Saratoga Mike no just a handicapper for 40 or so years. I just wanted to hear others thoughts or opinions.

Okay, fair enough.

Relwob Owner
12-20-2010, 09:39 PM

How would an article written better the game? Isnt it up to those in charge to better the game instead of those who write about it?

Trotman
12-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Relwob Owner short and sweet and good point

Stillriledup
12-20-2010, 09:46 PM
The thing that can most better the game is the current track owners/management to start treating the customers like they actually care if they come back or not. Plenty of business in this country (and the world for that matter) is word of mouth. If you have a great racetrack experience, you'll bring a friend or family and so on and so forth.

Relwob Owner
12-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Relwob Owner short and sweet and good point

One thing that is clear to me is that no matter what any writer decides to write, the odds of issues being then fixed are pretty low, which can explain many issues in our game now. That we can probably agree on!

Saratoga_Mike
12-20-2010, 09:49 PM
The thing that can most better the game is the current track owners/management to start treating the customers like they actually care if they come back or not. Plenty of business in this country (and the world for that matter) is word of mouth. If you have a great racetrack experience, you'll bring a friend or family and so on and so forth.

That's good, but perhaps you'd like to answer Trotman's media question, too.

Trotman
12-20-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm starting to feel the love here now. :)

Foolish Pleasure
12-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Hey Trot good to *see* you around.

It is very weird.

In other sports when someone is caught cheating or rigging games it gets major media attention,

in horse racing it gets buried and has gotten buried for centuries.

They have made the game worse by sanctioning this activity by not actively exposing it.

How many snail venom suppliers are there in the world? It would take a real investigative reporter about a day to get to the bottom of it and meanwhile racing still largely denies venom is a problem.

Valdes was sentenced recently for fixing races and the racing press barely reported it.

In the end freedom of the press was in part designed to protect the public from corrupt government, racing is government corruptioon at it's finest in many regards and the press turns a blind eye.

Tom
12-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Beyer has helped the game a lot.
Especially his article about the total inability of Gulfstream to time races.
After him, I can't think of much.

Stillriledup
12-20-2010, 10:16 PM
That's good, but perhaps you'd like to answer Trotman's media question, too.

And what question was that preytell?

His post was titled "have your say" so i had my say. He didnt ask a question, there was no ? in his post.

PaceAdvantage
12-20-2010, 10:18 PM

His post was titled "have your say" so i had my say. He didnt ask a question, there was no ? in his post.

What good or bad points from anyone in the media that has made horse racing a better gameSounded like a question to me...just forgot to end with a question mark is all....

Saratoga_Mike
12-20-2010, 10:18 PM

Okay you might have missed it when you were bringing up that 9-month-old thread for NO reason, so here's what he was asking:

What good or bad points from anyone in the media has made horse racing a better game?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??