PDA

View Full Version : Realtime spyware virus

chrisl
12-19-2010, 05:42 PM
I got a virus from somewhere. It has controlled my computer. I can not run anything. All it does is want me to download there real time spyware removal software. It has completely taking over my computer. I have system mechanic anti virus software, and it got passed it, also windows defender? Anyone familiar with this. Thank you

GameTheory
12-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Try booting in safe mode -- don't let it start up anything...

chrisl
12-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks Theory I will give it a try

judd
12-20-2010, 05:40 AM
get avg

Stevecsd
12-20-2010, 06:22 PM
We just had one of those hit our sales person a week or so ago. If you haven't been able to delete it yet, you might try Malwarebytes. There is a free version and a paid version. I have the paid one on my PC at home. The free version killed off the virus on the sales person's laptop.

AVG is good also.

Best Regards,

Steven Currie

joanied
12-20-2010, 09:13 PM
chrisl....

I never come over here, but for some reason, just did and your post caught my eye...

Malwarebytes is excellent:ThmbUp:

I use an anti virus program called 'ESET NOD32' and after trying it, I paid for it...shop around and you can find it for around $30.00 (do a Google)...I've had several anti virus programs over the years and this one is excellent...I will never use another one, this is it:ThmbUp: ...I highly recommend you give it a try (do you realize that you shouldn't have 2 anti virus programs running at the same time?)
There is also another program that will fix your computer if you have problems you can't find a fix for...it's almost like taking your puter into a repair person, only better...check it out and you can beleive what they say about it...another:ThmbUp: program that will actually repair your computer: REIMAGE.

Hope you get your puter up & running again...

Dave Schwartz
12-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Chris,

If this is one of those viruses that hold you hostage until you purchase the antidote from them you can be in big trouble. Do this:

1. Note the name of the virus.
2. Locate another computer.
3. Research the virus - only consider removal tools from KNOWN manufacturers.
4. Download and understand the instructions as well as the software.
5. Burn a CD with the programs.
6. Follow the instructions for removal.

If this does not work for you, pay a professional to remove it.

BlinCracker
12-21-2010, 12:00 AM
It could be a Browser Hijack.
Click tools on your toolbar.Then Internet Options and look to see if your homepage has been changed. If yes. Restore defaults

traveler
12-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Malwarebytes is ok, I would suggest ComboFix, it catches a lot of stuff others don't. If you have crapcleaner, look on the tools tab and see what is laoding at startup and if anything looks wierd, disable it.

Marshall Bennett
12-22-2010, 07:17 AM
I had a simular problem and was hijacked once. Did a system restore and got rid of it.

delayjf
01-17-2011, 10:21 AM
I just spent the weekend fighting the "System Tool" virus. I tried rebooting in safe mode and ran both CCleaner and the free version of AVG, neither one worked. I was hoping for a free fix and I sure as hell was not going to pay the a-hole who invented this virus. In my opinion he should go to jail.

Finally I did a system restore setting my computer back to the day before the virus hit, now all is fine. One note, I did have to reboot in safe mode as the virus would not let me access system restore from the desk top.

Thanks for the tip - MB.

bigmack
01-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Finally I did a system restore setting my computer back to the day before the virus hit, now all is fine. One note, I did have to reboot in safe mode as the virus would not let me access system restore from the desk top.

System restore will rarely solve the problem as the bugger will reassert itself from the registry. To ensure you're clean run this little honey:
http://download.cnet.com/Hitman-Pro-3-32-bit/3000-2239_4-10895604.html

Canarsie
01-17-2011, 05:01 PM
For $60 you can buy a 1 TB external drive and back up everything on there. It's the best investment you can make. One I use is only turned on for the backup (weekly) or to put new files on it.

Most can't do this but before I install any software it's done on an offline test machine. Scanned for viruses and malware this procedure has never let me down.

delayjf
01-17-2011, 05:18 PM
System restore will rarely solve the problem as the bugger will reassert itself from the registry. To ensure you're clean run this little honey:

Went there - did that, thanks much abliged.

BlinCracker
01-17-2011, 06:58 PM
SuperAntiSpyware has a portable scanner you can download to an external drive. Just follow the instructions.
http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html