PDA

View Full Version : Fire Coughlin

cj
12-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Epic meltdown today. First, he wasn't ready for an onside kick. Then, you punt out of bounds, period.

DRIVEWAY
12-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Epic meltdown today. First, he wasn't ready for an onside kick. Then, you punt out of bounds, period.

Dodge was told to punt out of bounds. Replace Dodge immediately. Pathetic outcome.

cj
12-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Dodge was told to punt out of bounds. Replace Dodge immediately. Pathetic outcome.

He has been terrible all year.

The long touchdown is unacceptable after taking a 31-10 lead. Not being ready for an onside kick is unacceptable. Blitzing and getting burned for three series in a row is unacceptable. Not punting out of bounds is unacceptable. If the coach told him to do it and he didn't, what does that say about the coach?

horses4courses
12-19-2010, 04:49 PM

The long touchdown is unacceptable after taking a 31-10 lead. Not being ready for an onside kick is unacceptable. Blitzing and getting burned for three series in a row is unacceptable. Not punting out of bounds is unacceptable. If the coach told him to do it and he didn't, what does that say about the coach?

It says a lot, if Dodge is still playing next week.........

cj
12-19-2010, 04:58 PM
It says a lot, if Dodge is still playing next week.........

It still doesn't excuse all the other horrible decisions today.

DRIVEWAY
12-19-2010, 05:20 PM

The Giants were alerted to the onside kick possibility. Akers executed a perfect onside kick. Akers is exceptional at onsides kicks. A tremendous play for the Eagles.

The Giants defense was tired and Vick got hot at the right time for Philly. But any other kicker gets the team into overtime. If they lose in OT, so be it. But at least regroup and play the OT.

The season is not lost but the Giants must play Green Bay next week for the last wildcard slot. After this emotional loss, Coughlin will earn is worth by getting the team to pull themselves together and win in Green Bay. If not all will be lost.

After last weeks circus which ended in Detroit, the Giants were well prepared and had the game well in hand.

I'll be impressed by Coughlin, if the team is ready next week. Let's not forget that Coughlin rallied the Giants to a Super Bowl 3 years back.

Let's go Giants.

Robert Goren
12-19-2010, 06:45 PM
The giants defense is held together by bailing wire and duct tape. Its lack of talent got exposed today. The giants have good offensive line and bunch of at best average players everywhere else. Coughlin should be coach of the year for winning 9 games with this bunch.

skate
12-20-2010, 04:03 PM
sometimes we adjust ourselves to a program of video games.

and nothing else.

you dont kick a football to an exact Spot, never.

you dont prepare for an onsides kick, just Because it's more likely.

footballs bounce funny.

and it is soooo funny to think about putting a coach under attack, while having an 8/5 record, that is really funny.

Now now now , you might be pissed, you might have lost, i understand that part...:)

Valuist
12-20-2010, 05:41 PM
While Dodge is certainly largely to blame for not punting out of bounds, the snap was bad and he had to leap to catch it; he may have felt a bit rushed to get the punt off. When you take into account the cluelessness on the onsides kick, the special teams coach should be taking some heat.

Still, I would be surprised if Coughlin is back next season.

cj
12-20-2010, 07:54 PM
sometimes we adjust ourselves to a program of video games.

and nothing else.

you dont kick a football to an exact Spot, never.

you dont prepare for an onsides kick, just Because it's more likely.

footballs bounce funny.

and it is soooo funny to think about putting a coach under attack, while having an 8/5 record, that is really funny.

Now now now , you might be pissed, you might have lost, i understand that part...:)

I don't play video games. I guarantee you, however, at 44 years old, I could catch a high snap and kick it out of bounds. Nobody cared if the punt went 25, or even 15 yards. Kick it OUT OF BOUNDS.

Yes, I'm a Giants fan. The fact is their record is pretty fraudulent. They have not beaten a team I'd consider better than mediocre outside of maybe the Bears all year, and they lost the QB that game.

Yesterday was a total collapse. You don't take a 21 point lead and then give up a 65 yard touchdown down the middle of the field with 7 minutes left. There is no excuse for that. And, that was only the first of many blunders.

Tee
12-20-2010, 08:00 PM
But can you do it now at 43!! :)

I don't play video games. I guarantee you, however, at 44 years old, I could catch a high snap and kick it out of bounds. Nobody cared if the punt went 25, or even 15 yards. Kick it OUT OF BOUNDS.

cj
12-20-2010, 08:23 PM
But can you do it now at 43!! :)

Holy shit, I am 43. I really am getting so old I can't remember.

JustRalph
12-21-2010, 01:15 AM
I am fifty,and I guarantee the high snap would sail over my head and I would get trampled to the ground like a piece of meat on the Chisum trail

and the same thing would have happen last year............

JBmadera
12-21-2010, 05:39 AM
I am fifty,and I guarantee the high snap would sail over my head and I would get trampled to the ground like a piece of meat on the Chisum trail

and the same thing would have happen last year............

pretty much!

what I don't understand is how he didn't just stroke out right there on the field, never quite seen a face like that...... :eek:

Valuist
12-21-2010, 11:17 AM
pretty much!

what I don't understand is how he didn't just stroke out right there on the field, never quite seen a face like that...... :eek:

Did you see Coughlin's face at the NFC Championship game at Green Bay a couple years ago? He was NOT handling the cold well at all. I thought he was going to "stroke out" that day.....and they won that game.

cj's dad
12-21-2010, 11:59 AM
however, at 44 years old,

I thought you knew something I didn't !!

cj
12-21-2010, 12:57 PM
The Giants were alerted to the onside kick possibility. Akers executed a perfect onside kick. Akers is exceptional at onsides kicks. A tremendous play for the Eagles.

Having seen the replay a few times, there is no way the Giants were ready for an onside kick. Did you even watch the game?

Red Knave
12-21-2010, 02:53 PM

and the same thing would have happen last year............Geez Ralph, you could let a guy know he might snort his coffee out!
Put "coffee alert" in the title or something.

Man, I'm still laffin'

skate
12-21-2010, 04:57 PM

Yes, I'm a Giants fan. The fact is their record is pretty fraudulent. They have not beaten a team I'd consider better than mediocre outside of maybe the Bears all year, and they lost the QB that game.

Yesterday was a total collapse. You don't take a 21 point lead and then give up a 65 yard touchdown down the middle of the field with 7 minutes left. There is no excuse for that. And, that was only the first of many blunders.

key area here is "could" and the "guarantee" part will have to stay on hold.

Oh sure, now you say "Nodody cares if the kick went out of bounds", but let him come up with a 20 yarder and then might you have been on his caes?

Man-oh-man, i've seen the very best of them (not cj, i'll admit) miss a one/three pointer from 3 to 30 yards out and that's with a holder, an exact spot, with more pressure to boot.:)

cj
12-21-2010, 04:58 PM
key area here is "could" and the "guarantee" part will have to stay on hold.

Oh sure, now you say "Nodody cares if the kick went out of bounds", but let him come up with a 20 yarder and then might you have been on his caes?

Man-oh-man, i've seen the very best of them (not cj, i'll admit) miss a one/three pointer from 3 to 30 yards out and that's with a holder, an exact spot, with more pressure to boot.:)

There were 12 seconds left and the Eagles had no time outs. 20 yards would have been fine.

The fact is the guy should have been replaced a long time ago. He has been terrible all year long.

skate
12-21-2010, 05:02 PM

HEY hey hey now, was that a third Q Epic or when/what.?

Cause it coulda spread to a fourth Q Epidemic.:eek:

,period, brings us back to the vidio game.:rolleyes:

skate
12-21-2010, 05:07 PM
There were 12 seconds left and the Eagles had no time outs. 20 yards would have been fine.

The fact is the guy should have been replaced a long time ago. He has been terrible all year long.

Ok ok ok , i'll buy into that "should have been done".

Basic, a man kicks a football and has 10 others to tackle between 80 some yards, somebody else should get a train ticket, my thought.

cj
12-21-2010, 05:19 PM

,period, brings us back to the vidio game.:rolleyes:

I'll try answering if I can get this translated to English.

skate
12-21-2010, 05:53 PM
I'll try answering if I can get this translated to English.

welp, you said epic, but you didnt say when, sooooooooooooooooo, if the epic was in the third q, then you were in for a lonnnnnng day. ;)

Originally Posted by skate

,period, brings us back to the vidio game.

The Epidemic was in the forth q, that did happen.

When You said "PERIOD", in my mind, that brought you back to playing Vidio (as stated in my first post). Only because Aint no "PERIOD ", unless you are talking to yourself.

cj
12-21-2010, 06:11 PM
welp, you said epic, but you didnt say when, sooooooooooooooooo, if the epic was in the third q, then you were in for a lonnnnnng day. ;)

Originally Posted by skate

,period, brings us back to the vidio game.

The Epidemic was in the forth q, that did happen.

When You said "PERIOD", in my mind, that brought you back to playing Vidio (as stated in my first post). Only because Aint no "PERIOD ", unless you are talking to yourself.

Can anyone translate this?

PhantomOnTour
12-21-2010, 06:21 PM
"Quit yo jibber jabber"
-Mr T

skate
12-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Can anyone translate this?

you're easy:cool: go back to bed;)

Stillriledup
12-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Coughlin is a good coach, his shortcomings are his clock management. Poor play calling led to this epic collapse, it had nothing to do with the punter at the end of the game. TC has to get better at learning to RUN the ball when he has a huge lead and not letting Eli run around like a chicken without a head tossing passes that his receivers are going to lay on the ground. Run the ball 3 plays, milk the play clock down to the end and punt. If they would have done that, they would have won the game.

skate
12-21-2010, 07:34 PM

yeh now i see it. here i was trying to fit in what you call an "EPIC".

i was trying to be too soft again.

I should have stated "Epic" has nothing to do with this game. Epic being a poem, but then, i dont know what you call epic.

DRIVEWAY
12-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Having seen the replay a few times, there is no way the Giants were ready for an onside kick. Did you even watch the game?

Watched the game from beginning to the end. Also, read all the press in NYC and watched the post game interviews.

The coachs prepared the special teams for the probabilty of an onsides kick.
How well they performed or how well they listened, is another story.

You're thread is all about FIRE COUGHLIN. The coaching was there throughout the game. The players performed poorly when it counted.

As far as Aker's onsides kick, he's recognized as a genius in this regards. The Giants game will only add to his credentials.

The Giants are 9-5 and can clinch a playoff berth in GB this weekend. The coaching will hopefully lead the way.

Giants management, please don't listen to hysterical fans like CJ, definitely keep the coach.

Let's go Giants.

TJDave
12-21-2010, 09:22 PM

It's Chisholm.

I grew up within sight of the original wagon wheel ruts.

Stillriledup
12-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Watched the game from beginning to the end. Also, read all the press in NYC and watched the post game interviews.

The coachs prepared the special teams for the probabilty of an onsides kick.
How well they performed or how well they listened, is another story.

You're thread is all about FIRE COUGHLIN. The coaching was there throughout the game. The players performed poorly when it counted.

As far as Aker's onsides kick, he's recognized as a genius in this regards. The Giants game will only add to his credentials.

The Giants are 9-5 and can clinch a playoff berth in GB this weekend. The coaching will hopefully lead the way.

Giants management, please don't listen to hysterical fans like CJ, definitely keep the coach.

Let's go Giants.

I agree. People forget that this was the coach who was good enough to acquire a 21 pt lead in a big game in the first place. Sometimes teams fall asleep because the other team is going thru the motions. Once in a blue moon, the quality team who plays uninspired for 3 quarters gathers some emotion and all of a sudden, decides to play hard. And, at the same time, the team who played hard for 3 quarters decided to coast because they had a 21 pt lead against a team who was tanking.

This was a perfect storm where every little bounce had to go Philly's way. Its not the Coaches fault, stuff happens, its time to worry about next weeks game.

There's no need to panic, this is a good football team with a good coaching staff who just lost a close game to a very good team. Not the end of the world.

cj
12-21-2010, 11:25 PM
I agree. People forget that this was the coach who was good enough to acquire a 21 pt lead in a big game in the first place. Sometimes teams fall asleep because the other team is going thru the motions. Once in a blue moon, the quality team who plays uninspired for 3 quarters gathers some emotion and all of a sudden, decides to play hard. And, at the same time, the team who played hard for 3 quarters decided to coast because they had a 21 pt lead against a team who was tanking.

This was a perfect storm where every little bounce had to go Philly's way. Its not the Coaches fault, stuff happens, its time to worry about next weeks game.

There's no need to panic, this is a good football team with a good coaching staff who just lost a close game to a very good team. Not the end of the world.

I keep hearing how good they are, but they haven't really done it against a good team yet.

JustRalph
12-22-2010, 02:08 AM
It's Chisholm.

I grew up within sight of the original wagon wheel ruts.

Thanks Dave..........

Bob, I am glad somebody thought it was funny :lol:

I'm no Tom, but I try........... :ThmbUp:

KingChas
12-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Funny thing is every time Giants fans want TC's head he seems to rally the troops............beware.

skate
12-22-2010, 03:15 PM
I keep hearing how good they are, but they haven't really done it against a good team yet.

"TAPS" Time, babe.

Valuist
12-22-2010, 04:54 PM
I heard some idiot on ESPN claim the Eagles were the 3rd best team in the NFL......of course putting way too much weight on their comeback last week. That game looked like the equivalent of a horse who sets a 1:09 and change pace and is gasping for air in the final quarter mile and gets caught on the wire.

The fact of the matter is....IF the Eagles really were the 3rd best team in the NFL, they wouldn't have found themselves down by 21 in the 4th quarter. Exciting to watch? Absolutely but that defense will be their undoing.

skate
12-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Eagles played a lot with injuries, as others have, but they had critical "D" backs missing for most and that did show.

Lets see if they get healthy

Valuist
12-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Nobody has had more injuries than Green Bay.

cj
12-26-2010, 06:32 PM
I knew they were done if they kept Coughlin.

lamboguy
12-26-2010, 06:42 PM
I knew they were done if they kept Coughlin.i got real bored with horseracing today, so the only game on tv is the giants here. i have to agreee with your assesment of coughlin. his team has just produced its 3rd tournover this game. i have been watching new england play lately, they are a very well coached team, and they are probably going take home all the cash this year in the superbowl in texas this year.

i am still a raider fan though

slew101
12-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Coughlin panicked on that challenge of the Jacobs' fumble. If someone upstairs told him to challenge, they should be fired. There was nothing there to overturn that call.

Then, the Giants get picked at 31-17 and the Packers DB was clearly out of bounds. Coughlin has no challenges left.

NFL coaches still don't understand you can't just toss the flag because you're pissed off.

i got real bored with horseracing today, so the only game on tv is the giants here. i have to agreee with your assesment of coughlin. his team has just produced its 3rd tournover this game. i have been watching new england play lately, they are a very well coached team, and they are probably going take home all the cash this year in the superbowl in texas this year.

i am still a raider fan though

cj's dad
12-26-2010, 08:49 PM
As one with no dog in the fight he looks lost when he is shown on the sidelines !!

Robert Goren
12-26-2010, 10:16 PM
No coach is going to win when their QB does his impression of Bret Farve on a bad day. I don't know if the coach panicked but Manning sure did. That being said, Coughlin is probably done in NY.

cj
12-18-2011, 02:46 PM
I think this is a great time to resurrect this thread. I never changed my mind this year either.

RaceBookJoe
12-18-2011, 03:04 PM
I think this is a great time to resurrect this thread. I never changed my mind this year either.

Giants are making my Redskins look like a real football team, but its screwing up our draft position haha rbj

horses4courses
12-18-2011, 03:40 PM
The Ny Football Giants could use a house cleaning........Coughlin goes first?

Valuist
12-18-2011, 03:54 PM
I don't know why the media thinks this team is good. The whole NFC East is the most overrated division in the NFL. None of them are any good.

And anyone who thinks Eli is half the QB Peyton is cannot be paying any attention in the last 13 years.

fiveouttasix
12-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Do you believe the Giants still control there own destiny

Tom
12-18-2011, 04:34 PM
They need Freddy Biletnikoff as the receiver coach. How can you lose with the stuff he used?

cj
12-18-2011, 04:55 PM
I don't know why the media thinks this team is good. The whole NFC East is the most overrated division in the NFL. None of them are any good.

And anyone who thinks Eli is half the QB Peyton is cannot be paying any attention in the last 13 years.

He probably isn't as good as Peyton, but half the QB? Come on...from a Bears fan no less!

PhantomOnTour
12-18-2011, 05:03 PM
I don't know what to think of Eli...he's trick or treat.
Sometimes I think he's a clueless chucker and other times he leads his team like a big time QB should (in clutch situations) and makes plays.

Reminds me a bit of Flacco, who by this argument has a Super Bowl ring coming to him... :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
12-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Eli has more come-from-behind wins than Tebow this year...

slew101
12-18-2011, 06:07 PM
It absolutely amazes me how bad the Giants play at home the last three seasons? It's incredible. Their offense is lethal on the road. At home, they can't get a first down. Look at their home games this season. Losses to Philly (no Vick), Seattle (when Seattle was playing awful), lucky to beat the Bills because Fitzpatrick chucks the game away, and almost lost to winless Miami at the time. They even played bad against the Rams earlier in the season and were lucky to win.

Ocala Mike
12-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Giants can be maddening. The whole team looked like they were sleepwalking through that game today. Easy to blame Tom and Eli, of course.
Who do they play next week? Might not want to be that team getting the Giants on the "bounce."

Ocala Mike

slew101
12-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Jets vs. Giants on Christmas Eve. Now basically an elimination game. Giants still win the division with a win next week and a win against Dallas.

Jets need 2 wins and some help. They are behind the Bengals now via tie-breaker for the final WC slot.

Giants can be maddening. The whole team looked like they were sleepwalking through that game today. Easy to blame Tom and Eli, of course.
Who do they play next week? Might not want to be that team getting the Giants on the "bounce."

Ocala Mike

slew101
12-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Correction, Jets have the tie-breaker right now vs. Bengals.

Jets need 2 wins and some help. They are behind the Bengals now via tie-breaker for the final WC slot.

Valuist
12-18-2011, 10:50 PM
He probably isn't as good as Peyton, but half the QB? Come on...from a Bears fan no less!

Maybe half. Not much more.

Going back to the 2004 draft, I'd still take Roethlisberger over him and/or Rivers.

cj
12-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Maybe half. Not much more.

Going back to the 2004 draft, I'd still take Roethlisberger over him and/or Rivers.

Who wouldn't?

Robert Goren
12-19-2011, 05:07 AM
Firing a coach that won the super bowl for the team is not generally good idea. The team generally regressses quite a bit under the new coach. There are several coaches who should be fired this season, but I don't think that Coughlin is one of them.

cj
12-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Firing a coach that won the super bowl for the team is not generally good idea. The team generally regressses quite a bit under the new coach. There are several coaches who should be fired this season, but I don't think that Coughlin is one of them.

Too funny...haven't they regressed quite a bit already? I'd rather be 2-12 then 7-7 in the NFL.

slew101
12-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Three straight seasons of no playoffs will fire most coaches in big markets. Coughlin needs to win these two games or he's gone.

Too funny...haven't they regressed quite a bit already? I'd rather be 2-12 then 7-7 in the NFL.

Ocala Mike
12-24-2011, 05:43 PM

Ocala Mike

Change the title of the thread to "Fire Rex."

Ocala Mike

cj
12-24-2011, 06:33 PM

Ocala Mike

I still don't think Coughlin coached that great today.

cj
12-24-2011, 06:55 PM

Ocala Mike

Dallas fans might prefer "Fire Rob."

Robert Goren
12-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Too funny...haven't they regressed quite a bit already? I'd rather be 2-12 then 7-7 in the NFL.They might make the playoffs in season where the injuries on defense especially in the secondary have just killed them.Yesterday they beat a team that has had no where near as many injuries.
Besides the already fired coaches, the Chargers and the Rams are going to have new coaches next year. So might the Colts and the Bucs. It wouldn't to be too much of surprise to see a new coach of the Redskins or the Cowboys although I think they get another year. I doubt that Coughlin get fired this year, but stranger things have happened. Most years there is one firing that comes out the blue. I have no idea who that would be, but there is at least a 50/50 chance that there will be one.

tribecaagent
12-25-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm a Jet fan through & through so I say this with envy....Tom Coughlin produces a winning blueprint every week...he tells his players where to be for success.......every week.

The guy could coach for me any day of the week.

cj
01-02-2012, 11:35 AM

I think he has already won more big games than Peyton has.

I still think Coughlin is not very good any longer, but we're stuck with him another year.

proximity
01-02-2012, 07:11 PM
I think he has already won more big games than Peyton has.

this year showed us that peyton manning is obviously the best player in history. no quarterback ever could have had the run he had with this team or probably even guided them to a single winning season.

horses4courses
01-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Coughlin is safe until next season.
The same can't be said for Mike Smith, though.

cj
01-08-2012, 05:41 PM
this year showed us that peyton manning is obviously the best player in history. no quarterback ever could have had the run he had with this team or probably even guided them to a single winning season.

The collection the Colts have now isn't really indicative of what they had in the past.

cj
01-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Coughlin is safe until next season.
The same can't be said for Mike Smith, though.

I'm glad I inspired him!

horses4courses
01-08-2012, 08:05 PM
I'm glad I inspired him!

Must have worked, alright....of course they are big dogs next weekend.
But you never know....

proximity
01-08-2012, 10:30 PM
The collection the Colts have now isn't really indicative of what they had in the past.

with the possible exception of quentin coryatt, they haven't had an nfl caliber linebacker since the days of duane bickett. that is going way back.

the only good players they've lost are bob sanders who was injured all the time anyway and marvin harrison who no other team even cast a glance at when they let him go.

antoine bethea and an aging jeff saturday are about the only good every down players on the team. pash rush specialists who get a sack or two every other game don't count. reggie wayne and pierre garcon could probably make some other teams.

congratulations to coach coughlin.

PhantomOnTour
01-15-2012, 07:56 PM
"The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated"
-Tom

cj
01-15-2012, 08:05 PM
No problem admitting I was dead wrong!

Valuist
01-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Eli has had a damn good season. I had said earlier in the year he wasn't 1/2 the QB Peyton is, and while he still isn't as good as a healthy Peyton, the gap has narrowed.

horses4courses
01-15-2012, 08:26 PM
No problem admitting I was dead wrong!

You, and a million others.
That team has really come to life at the right time.
Should be one helluva game at Candlestick on Sunday...... :ThmbUp:

tzipi
01-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Almost every year it's... fire Coughlin. Guy has a great track record with the Giants and gets the team to always play big in big games. How many losing seasons does he have with the Giants? One?

cj
01-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Almost every year it's... fire Coughlin. Guy has a great track record with the Giants and gets the team to always play big in big games. How many losing seasons does he have with the Giants? One?

He missed the playoffs twice in a row, and was on the verge of three. Winning seasons are worthless without making the playoffs.

badcompany
01-16-2012, 12:39 AM
He missed the playoffs twice in a row, and was on the verge of three. Winning seasons are worthless without making the playoffs.

Congrats on one of the great thread backfires of all time.:ThmbUp:

cj
01-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Congrats on one of the great thread backfires of all time.:ThmbUp:

For the record, it was started last year and he did go 9-7 this season, very lucky to even make the playoffs.

DRIVEWAY
01-16-2012, 11:27 AM
For the record, it was started last year and he did go 9-7 this season, very lucky to even make the playoffs.

The final game of the season was a playoff game against the Cowboys. The Giants earned their way into the post season.

The Giants had one of the toughest schedules in the league and their starters lost the most games to injury in the league. Now everyone appears to be healthy.

The 49er's game will be incredibly tough. The 49er's win over New Orleans was a classic victory.

The Giants were dominate vs Atlanta and played a distracted Packers team that seemed to self destruct. The 49er's are firing on all cylinders and the Giants, who must travel coast to coast, will need near perfection on both sides of the ball to prevail.

The 49er's are strong favorites and should win unless the Giants are Very Lucky.

badcompany
01-16-2012, 11:36 AM
The 49er's are strong favorites and should win unless the Giants are Very Lucky.

The 49ers are a 2.5 point favorite, at home. That's a very WEAK favorite.

I believe the Giants will do to the Niners just what they did to the Pack. That said, I will admit to some bias as I am a Giants fan.

DRIVEWAY
01-16-2012, 01:45 PM
The 49ers are a 2.5 point favorite, at home. That's a very WEAK favorite.

I believe the Giants will do to the Niners just what they did to the Pack. That said, I will admit to some bias as I am a Giants fan.

Surprised at the spread. Would have thought 4.5 pts more realistic. Giants given too much credit for Packers win. Packer's receivers had 7 drops. That was the difference in the game.

49er's had to rally twice in the 4th qtr to win. Give them credit against a jugernaut NO offense to go toe to toe.

Will also be rooting for g-men but 49er's will not go easy.

cj
09-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Man, this guy has to go. ROFL.

cj
09-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Boy I'm good!

Valuist
09-21-2012, 10:36 AM
One thing is apparent: if you get in Coughlin's dog house, it's tough to get out. We saw this opening week with RB Wilson, who fumbled on his first carry. When Bradshaw went down, did the first rounder Wilson get the shot at starting? No, that would go to Andre Brown, who had found himself buried on the roster for several years before he finally got his chance. Barden has been buried on their roster for 4 years before finally getting his chance. Both Brown and Barden came thru big, but both have had to wait 3 and 4 years before getting that chance. Hard to fault a guy who's won 2 Super Bowls in the past 5 years but Coughlin clearly is very stubborn.

horses4courses
09-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Time to clear the dust off this thread?

headhawg
09-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I'm sure it was Coughlin on the field throwing all those picks in the first three games.

Stillriledup
09-22-2013, 03:30 PM

No. Not when the guys brother died last week tragically. The team is bad, its not the coaches fault the players can't perform.

_______
09-22-2013, 03:30 PM

Why not? The giant fans can join all the eagle fans who wanted Andy Reid gone.

TheEdge07
09-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Why fire Coughlin team isnt any good..

ManU918
09-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Why not? The giant fans can join all the eagle fans who wanted Andy Reid gone.

It was time for Reid to go... Reid landed in an ideal situation with what was it... 6 Pro Bowlers and the first overall pick in the draft. He lost the locker room in Philly... Sometimes no matter how successful a person is in any capacity of life after time its best to bring in a fresh face.

wiffleball whizz
09-22-2013, 04:10 PM
It was time for Reid to go... Reid landed in an ideal situation with what was it... 6 Pro Bowlers and the first overall pick in the draft. He lost the locker room in Philly... Sometimes no matter how successful a person is in any capacity of life after time its best to bring in a fresh face.

Correct.......in that case change is good.....just got stale

Reid is a great coach but u need change

JustRalph
09-22-2013, 05:14 PM

I think you call it perfect here. Somewhere inside I have to cheer for the guy. He was stuck with a few players over the years that defined his teams and overshadowed what I think his vision of a team is. If he can develop the KC Chiefs just a little they could be very interesting to watch. I am not sold on Alex Smith at all though.

Stillriledup
09-22-2013, 05:39 PM
If you are suggesting a firing, you have to suggest a replacement. You can't fire a coach unless you have someone better.....you know, its not like you're going to fire him unless you're upgrading.

Do you have an upgrade in mind, or, are we all just yelling for the guy's head with no backup plan?

TheEdge07
09-22-2013, 05:39 PM

Is this the same Andy.Reid.who couldnt win playoff games?Reid is like Mike from Gb,Peyton from NO there high price offensive coordinators carrying around the highlighters with the cardboard

cj
09-22-2013, 05:48 PM
This team has gotten old and the younger guys they do have just haven't produced. Part of that is winning two Super Bowls and not having great draft picks, but only a small part of that. The front office needs to do better.

ManU918
09-23-2013, 12:45 AM
Is this the same Andy.Reid.who couldnt win playoff games?Reid is like Mike from Gb,Peyton from NO there high price offensive coordinators carrying around the highlighters with the cardboard

Last time I checked McCarthy and Payton both have Rings.

Zaf
09-23-2013, 01:40 AM
If You would of told me before the season that at this point the Jets would have a better record than the Gints, I would of :lol: my a** off. Steelers Ooooooo
I Love the NFL !

Z

Robert Goren
09-23-2013, 08:21 AM
This team has gotten old and the younger guys they do have just haven't produced. Part of that is winning two Super Bowls and not having great draft picks, but only a small part of that. The front office needs to do better.Add in the fact that the G-men won 2 Super Bowls with teams that really weren't all that talented. They were won with a great 4 man pass rush. When that fell apart, the other weaknesses on the team became glaring.

Valuist
09-23-2013, 08:24 AM
After the Giants won their 2nd Super Bowl under Coughlin a couple seasons ago, a few less than informed football fans hinted, and even said Eli was better than Peyton. I think now all that nonsense has been put to rest.

JustRalph
09-23-2013, 10:28 AM

Funny how that works....... :lol: Good point.

It always surprises me when this is ignored. You would think a Super Bowl ring would mean more in coaching. Like Mike Holmgren. What the hell happen to this guy? Dumped by the Browns as GM after years of losing. Does the game change that fast? Do they not keep up?

cj
09-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Add in the fact that the G-men won 2 Super Bowls with teams that really weren't all that talented. They were won with a great 4 man pass rush. When that fell apart, the other weaknesses on the team became glaring.

I don't buy this for a second. The Giants were very talented. You don't win that many playoff games in two different seasons, on the road, with a "not that talented" team.

TheEdge07
09-23-2013, 01:41 PM

So does George Seifert and Jon Gruden so whats your point?

TheEdge07
09-23-2013, 01:43 PM
After the Giants won their 2nd Super Bowl under Coughlin a couple seasons ago, a few less than informed football fans hinted, and even said Eli was better than Peyton. I think now all that nonsense has been put to rest.

Post season who do you want?Eli or Peyton.

Valuist
09-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Post season who do you want?Eli or Peyton.

I'll take Peyton any time, any day over Eli.

As for the Giants, going back to November 1st of last year, they have won 3 games, and lost 8. They've got problems.

_______
09-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Peyton. The playoffs are too small a sample to make any sensible judgement.

TheEdge07
09-23-2013, 03:47 PM
I'll take Peyton any time, any day over Eli.

As for the Giants, going back to November 1st of last year, they have won 3 games, and lost 8. They've got problems.

Do me a favor and put up post seasons stats fro both...day and nite..its not close

Valuist
09-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Do me a favor and put up post seasons stats fro both...day and nite..its not close

See the post right above yours. It applies here.

Also, its not the NBA, where one guy can completely take over a game. A QB may be the most important player on the field, but he's only one of eleven. Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson won Super Bowls while Dan Marino never did. Who was the superior QB of those three?

TheEdge07
09-23-2013, 04:41 PM
See the post right above yours. It applies here.

Also, its not the NBA, where one guy can completely take over a game. A QB may be the most important player on the field, but he's only one of eleven. Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson won Super Bowls while Dan Marino never did. Who was the superior QB of those three?
You do realize ravens and bucs had top five defense of all time..
Was Marino that much better then Fouts?

cj
10-11-2015, 11:20 PM
Coughlin is still the worst, luckiest Super Bowl winning coach in history. They won despite him not because of him.

magwell
10-11-2015, 11:24 PM
Coughlin is still the worst, luckiest Super Bowl winning coach in history. They won despite him not because of him.We agree again..... what's that all about ? :D

cj
10-11-2015, 11:33 PM
He still stinks. Eli bailing him out again doesn't change things one bit.

Valuist
10-11-2015, 11:52 PM
Coughlin is still the worst, luckiest Super Bowl winning coach in history. They won despite him not because of him.

That was in full display tonight. 4:20 to play, 4th and 1 at the Niner 11, tie game. He elects to kick a FG. Big mistake. If you go for it on 4th and 1 and fail, the Niners are pinned back at their 11. That's assuming the worst. This is not the Niner defense of 2012-2014.

So they go up by three, and sure enough, the Niners come back to get a TD and get the lead. A miraculous comeback bails Coughlin out; a successful challenge overturning an INT; a pass interference call helps keep the drive alive.

Coughlin's decision to kick the FG looks just as foolish even though they ended up winning.

burnsy
10-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Their offense is pretty good this year and they are fun to watch. The Giants are usually boring. But I got a kick out of their hand signals. Eli has one that looks like a time out for the receivers.....he made the signal and the refs blew the whistle for time out in the last drive. I thought poor Coughlin was going to have a heart attack...it was hilarious. Why would one of the hand signals look like a time out? :lol:

Stillriledup
10-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Their offense is pretty good this year and they are fun to watch. The Giants are usually boring. But I got a kick out of their hand signals. Eli has one that looks like a time out for the receivers.....he made the signal and the refs blew the whistle for time out in the last drive. I thought poor Coughlin was going to have a heart attack...it was hilarious. Why would one of the hand signals look like a time out? :lol:

Because he was asking TC if he wanted a TO at that moment. Ref mistakenly thought Eli was calling a time out, officiating mistake giants were able to overcome.

Stillriledup
10-12-2015, 12:51 PM
That was in full display tonight. 4:20 to play, 4th and 1 at the Niner 11, tie game. He elects to kick a FG. Big mistake. If you go for it on 4th and 1 and fail, the Niners are pinned back at their 11. That's assuming the worst. This is not the Niner defense of 2012-2014.

So they go up by three, and sure enough, the Niners come back to get a TD and get the lead. A miraculous comeback bails Coughlin out; a successful challenge overturning an INT; a pass interference call helps keep the drive alive.

Coughlin's decision to kick the FG looks just as foolish even though they ended up winning.

I agree, because the 3pts isn't really that great since you have to give up at least 10 yards in field position. Pound the rock there, play to win the game.

Stillriledup
11-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Dumb, dumber, Eli, coughlin

cj
11-01-2015, 04:39 PM
Coughlin is the absolute worst.

Valuist
11-01-2015, 05:16 PM
He's the worst Jerry....THE WORST!

Kenny Banya- circa mid 90s

Robert Goren
11-01-2015, 08:41 PM

Coughlin's decision to kick the FG looks just as foolish even though they ended up winning.In Coughlin's case, he won two Super Bowls because he was lucky enough to have his good players be/get healthy as the playoffs began. The same thing happen to the Ravens 3 years ago. A lot of teams lose one or more of their key players right before the playoffs and they have no chance. The sign of a good coach is team that gets a lot of injuries in the middle of the season and still wins a enough games to get into the playoffs with returning from injury players. Most coach can not find a way to win enough they are with out one or more of their key players. The Cowboys this year are a prime example of that this season. The Giants have lost some very good players to injuries this year, but are still hanging around. That is a good thing. However most of these injuries do not appear to be the type that allows a player to return this season. That is not so good. My guess is if they make the playoffs, they will be lucky to win one game.
The 49s is one of the greatest collection of uncomplimentary talent I have seen. Plus they have sorry ass QB with a very good arm but refuses to harness it into a useful weapon. Harbaugh was able piece it together for awhile, but eventually it became to much for him and he left. So did some very good young players who retired early.

Robert Goren
11-01-2015, 08:49 PM
I am not as sure that going for the field goal was that bad of an idea. Teams that stop their opponents on 4th short in the red zone late in the game seldom lose. It gives them sort of emotional lift that overcomes what should be a bad situation. Start watching for these situations and you will see what I mean.

Stillriledup
11-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Just wow.

cj
11-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Simply the worst.

Hoofless_Wonder
11-15-2015, 10:02 PM
I have to laugh. Being a long-suffering Vikings fan, I never thought I'd see game time coaching worse than Denny Green's splendid calls.

But I was wrong. Coughlin is worse. The only shocking thing now, at least to me, is why the announcers just swoon over him. What's up with that?

Stillriledup
11-15-2015, 10:17 PM
Simply the worst.

He's so easily the worst that whoever is 2nd worst looks smart in comparison.

It's mind numbing.

cj
11-15-2015, 10:30 PM
He's so easily the worst that whoever is 2nd worst looks smart in comparison.

It's mind numbing.

The two mostly lucky Super Bowl wins blinded people. He's awful on game day.

EMD4ME
11-15-2015, 10:32 PM
Simply the worst.

I don't watch the NFL, don't care who wins but to a conspiracy guy, that game was so fixed.

Giants TD overturned. Had 2 feet down before ball was knocked out.

Giants driving with 2:10 remaining. Clock never started. Giants ran play and no time came off clock.

Giants interception to end game. Maybe I don't know rules, haven't watched NFL in a couple of years. He catches ball with 2 hands. Ground can't cause fumble, can it?

Rookies
11-15-2015, 10:42 PM
(From another board)
"honestly you cant blame a team for playing to win. but seriously the pats scare people into making them type of decisions. "

Uhhhh... honestly I can, especially if the HC is simply too stupid to comprehend the linked concepts of time, time outs, yardage remaining and probabilities!

Ergo, he was trying to lose!

There was only one decision- burn the clock! In order to win the game and prevent the Patriots from coming back, the only method was to run the ball 3 times.

If you succeed you score a TD from that close.
If you don't succeed, you burn the 2 Minute Warning, the final TO and leave the Patriots possibly 40 ticks to salvage something from their 20.

How does a HC who won the Super Bowl twice not have the first clue about this stuff?

EMD4ME
11-15-2015, 10:44 PM
oh and by the way, I do agree, in my limited NFL watching.

NorCalGreg
11-15-2015, 10:47 PM
I don't watch the NFL, don't care who wins but to a conspiracy guy, that game was so fixed.

Giants TD overturned. Had 2 feet down before ball was knocked out.

Giants driving with 2:10 remaining. Clock never started. Giants ran play and no time came off clock.

Giants interception to end game. Maybe I don't know rules, haven't watched NFL in a couple of years. He catches ball with 2 hands. Ground can't cause fumble, can it?

For someone that doesn't watch the NFL...you seem to have a timeline of events leading into the final minutes of the Giants/Patriots game..up to the final gun. Was gonna watch it later, but no need to now :lol:

*actually...only watch the Raiders, the rest is just white noise in the background

EMD4ME
11-15-2015, 10:51 PM
For someone that doesn't watch the NFL...you seem to have a timeline of events leading into the final minutes of the Giants/Patriots game..up to the final gun. Was gonna watch it later, but no need to now :lol:

*actually...only watch the Raiders, the rest is just white noise in the background

I was waiting for the last race at DEL and the late DD at GG, was bored and the bar at AQU had the game on. What else was there to do?

Stillriledup
11-15-2015, 11:18 PM
The two mostly lucky Super Bowl wins blinded people. He's awful on game day.

I dont remember him always being this bad, I wouldn't say the SB wins were lucky for the Giants as opposed to the Patriots getting unlucky that coughin wasn't coughin in those games, he somehow didnt have the glaring error in game management.

cj
11-16-2015, 09:06 AM
I dont remember him always being this bad, I wouldn't say the SB wins were lucky for the Giants as opposed to the Patriots getting unlucky that coughin wasn't coughin in those games, he somehow didnt have the glaring error in game management.

Obviously they played well enough to win the games, but he was also the beneficiary of two of the most incredible catches in Super Bowl history. In twelve years with the team coming into this one, he's only had two seasons where he actually won a playoff game, both Super Bowl years. He's missed the playoffs seven out of 12 years and it is likely to be eight of 13 soon.

Stillriledup
11-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Obviously they played well enough to win the games, but he was also the beneficiary of two of the most incredible catches in Super Bowl history. In twelve years with the team coming into this one, he's only had two seasons where he actually won a playoff game, both Super Bowl years. He's missed the playoffs seven out of 12 years and it is likely to be eight of 13 soon.

Giants will win their division I think.

As far as the catches go, I'm pretty sure he coached them specifically to catch balls that way, so he gets credit in my book. :D

cj
11-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Giants will win their division I think.

As far as the catches go, I'm pretty sure he coached them specifically to catch balls that way, so he gets credit in my book. :D

If they win the division it is only because they may very well be in the worst division in the history of the NFL, right up there with the 7-9 winner from a few years ago. Dallas would have cakewalked into the playoffs without the Romo injury. But, the fact they can't win a game without Romo shows they pretty much stink all around too.

Secondbest
11-16-2015, 05:30 PM
AFC south is worse

Stillriledup
11-16-2015, 06:44 PM
If they win the division it is only because they may very well be in the worst division in the history of the NFL, right up there with the 7-9 winner from a few years ago. Dallas would have cakewalked into the playoffs without the Romo injury. But, the fact they can't win a game without Romo shows they pretty much stink all around too.

It's a bad division no doubt
New England needs to play better if they're going to beat the top teams, that wasnt an elite juggernaut performance from a team heralded as an all time great team by many talking heads.

ebcorde
11-16-2015, 08:49 PM
should have run the football. can't give Brady 2 minutes.

I hope Chip Kelly watched the game, maybe he will understand when there's 7:00 to go in the game ,your down by 1 point with a backup QB on the 5 yard line. Don't have Sanchez throw into the teeth of the defense.

ebcorde
11-16-2015, 08:50 PM
has some big balls. He likes outplaying Brady

cbp
11-16-2015, 09:10 PM
When your players can't make catches, you end up being criticized by tbred handicappers.

cj
11-16-2015, 09:37 PM
When your players can't make catches, you end up being criticized by tbred handicappers.

Should have never been throwing. He has no idea how to manage the end game strategy.

Stillriledup
11-16-2015, 10:06 PM
If NYg runs the ball 3 times and kicks a FG, they leave the pats w about 1:10 and 0 timeouts. By doing it the way they did it, they left brady about 45 seconds more. Even brady needed every second of that time to get into range. That 45 seconds was HUGE.

If you throw on at least one play, you're essentially saying a FG isn't good enough and that you're willing to risk leaving brady extra time in order to force him to drive 80 yards.

The key is to get the lead and work as much time as possible.

Silly of them to throw a pass w 2:01 remaining, once they overturned the TD (which was a TD I thought) the clock stopping at 2:01 seemed to be the difference not to mention the easy Interception the guy had and dropped.

Rookies
11-16-2015, 10:14 PM

2) Only in the convoluted la la land of NFL, bullshite, rule making was that NOT a catch. NOBODY knows what constitutes a legal catch in the End Zone anymore!

But. far, far more importantly...

1) The buffoon HC had not the first clue that the highest mathematical chance to win the game was to NEVER throw the ball!

NFL fans, who have watched the game for 50 years, and yes... even most horseplayers, who rely on numbers and stats, would know that!

Well, most of us.

Stillriledup
11-16-2015, 11:28 PM
2) Only in the convoluted la la land of NFL, bullshite, rule making was that NOT a catch. NOBODY knows what constitutes a legal catch in the End Zone anymore!

But. far, far more importantly...

1) The buffoon HC had not the first clue that the highest mathematical chance to win the game was to NEVER throw the ball!

NFL fans, who have watched the game for 50 years, and yes... even most horseplayers, who rely on numbers and stats, would know that!

Well, most of us.

It's incredible that he's throwing the ball and risking game ending interception. Also, what was the incentive to score on first down with over 2 mins left? There's at least 2 games TC botched this year due to game mgmt.

burnsy
12-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Just about time to rehash this...... :lol: :lol:

4th and 2, lets do what the crowd is cheering for. The NY "Hoedown"!

Stillriledup
12-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Another Coughlin blunder. 3rd down in OT they throw a pass instead of running, if they gain 2 or 3 yards they turn a 48 yarder into a 45 yarder, the kicker is pretty accurate but 53 was his long, in order to get the ball far enough, he had to lose some accuracy, every yard closer makes the FG attempt a higher percentage play, just run the ball there and get closer.

Another situation where the Giants shoot themselves in the foot by passing on a play that calls for a run.

ManU918
12-06-2015, 04:32 PM
I'm a huge ND guy and talk to people who know somethings and supposedly the Giants ownership are very very interested in Brian Kelly. I think Kelly has had enough of Notre Dame's academic standards holding him back from getting some of the top players each year and is open to making the jump.

cj
12-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Another Coughlin blunder. 3rd down in OT they throw a pass instead of running, if they gain 2 or 3 yards they turn a 48 yarder into a 45 yarder, the kicker is pretty accurate but 53 was his long, in order to get the ball far enough, he had to lose some accuracy, every yard closer makes the FG attempt a higher percentage play, just run the ball there and get closer.

Another situation where the Giants shoot themselves in the foot by passing on a play that calls for a run.

I'm actually ok with this, you don't play for the tie, I have no problem trying to get the first down.

Secondbest
12-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Just retire him now.Terrible calls in the 4th quarter.from the go for it at the 2 to a sidelines no chance with 3rd and 2 in it.That's what 3 times this year a ten point lead the ball under 10 minutes to and you lose.That's bad coaching.And take Jerry Reese with him.As a long time Giants fan this is the first time I can remember when I have no interest in even watching them play anymore this year.Just Go.

cj
12-06-2015, 06:01 PM
4th game this year Giants have lost after leading with less than a minute to go.

Valuist
12-06-2015, 06:40 PM
4th game this year Giants have lost after leading with less than a minute to go.

Kind of like a horse who moves to the lead at the 1/8th pole, only to get nailed in the final strides.

This is something to remember for next year, when the futures come out. Whatever their record ends up being, they are probably a bit better than what it reflects.

Stillriledup
12-06-2015, 07:01 PM
I'm actually ok with this, you don't play for the tie, I have no problem trying to get the first down.

The problem is that if you gamble and lose, it's a 48 yarder. You could also get the first down on a run because the D isn't expecting it.

The way they are going this season, they just seem destined to fail by missing a pass on 3rd down.

barahona44
12-06-2015, 09:56 PM
Interesting thing about this thread is that it's almost 5 years old.

Yet Coughlin is still here.

Stillriledup
12-06-2015, 10:11 PM

The only thing it proves is Giants brass doesn't read off topic sports at PA :D

cj
12-06-2015, 10:28 PM

Baffling!

Secondbest
12-06-2015, 10:35 PM

Unless they win 4 in a row I doubt he' ll be here next year.

barahona44
12-07-2015, 01:48 AM
Unless they win 4 in a row I doubt he' ll be here next year.

I agree and if he doesn't make the playoffs, I hope the Giants give him the opportunity to
retire first. Two Super Bowl wins should count for something.

Valuist
12-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Eli Manning fans aren't going to like this, but its reality.

If we could time travel back to the 2004 draft, anyone with a brain would now take Ben Roethlisberger over Eli. And I believe those 2 Giants teams that won Super Bowls could've won with Philip Rivers at QB as well.

Robert Goren
12-07-2015, 10:33 AM

Yet Coughlin is still here. In those 5 years, he won a Super Bowl. He has won two Super Bowls. If he is fired, the new coach in all likelihood will not have even won one or even been in one as head coach. The fact that Coughlin has won two super bowls with QB like Eli Manning has to be one the greatest accomplishments in the history of the NFL. There have been coaches who won one super bowls with mediocre QBs, but no one has won two.

Secondbest
12-07-2015, 11:05 AM
I agree and if he doesn't make the playoffs, I hope the Giants give him the opportunity to
retire first. Two Super Bowl wins should count for something.
They will have some sort of retirement or kick upstairs.Mara would never embarass him.

DRIVEWAY
12-07-2015, 11:06 AM
In those 5 years, he won a Super Bowl. He has won two Super Bowls. If he is fired, the new coach in all likelihood will not have even won one or even been in one as head coach. The fact that Coughlin has won two super bowls with QB like Eli Manning has to be one the greatest accomplishments in the history of the NFL. There have been coaches who won one super bowls with mediocre QBs, but no one has won two.

Who was the Offensive Coordinator with both Super Bowl wins?

PhantomOnTour
12-07-2015, 11:43 AM
In those 5 years, he won a Super Bowl. He has won two Super Bowls. If he is fired, the new coach in all likelihood will not have even won one or even been in one as head coach. The fact that Coughlin has won two super bowls with QB like Eli Manning has to be one the greatest accomplishments in the history of the NFL. There have been coaches who won one super bowls with mediocre QBs, but no one has won two.
Joe Gibbs won three SuperBowls with three different QBs, and two of them were average:
Doug Williams and Mark Rypien....Eli is better than both of those guys.

Stillriledup
12-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Who was the Offensive Coordinator with both Super Bowl wins?

Kevin gilbride?

Valuist
12-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Going for it from the 2 was the RIGHT call. The results of the one event don't matter. 4th and goal from the 1 or 2, you are better off going for it. All the armchair QBs and sports talk shows fools are all over Coughlin for that.

cj
12-08-2015, 12:18 AM
Going for it from the 2 was the RIGHT call. The results of the one event don't matter. 4th and goal from the 1 or 2, you are better off going for it. All the armchair QBs and sports talk shows fools are all over Coughlin for that.

Kind of depends on time of the game, doesn't it? I think there was like 6 minutes left and the Jets had scored 10 points all game. You kick it there, your force two TDs.

cj
12-08-2015, 12:19 AM

Eli may not be an all time QB, but he is FAR from mediocre.

Valuist
12-08-2015, 12:26 AM
Kind of depends on time of the game, doesn't it? I think there was like 6 minutes left and the Jets had scored 10 points all game. You kick it there, your force two TDs.

What happened earlier in the game is irrelevant because teams open things up much more late in the game. The Giants D allowed 52 points to New Orleans, 27 to a Kaepernick led 49er team, and 27 to a Bradford led Eagle team. They've allowed over 6 yards/play in their last 5 games. Would you trust them? I wouldn't.

That aside, all the studies have shown that coaches are way too conservative when it comes to plays from the 1 and 2 yard line. Even if you fail, the opponent is backed up very deep in its own territory.

cj
12-08-2015, 01:03 AM
What happened earlier in the game is irrelevant because teams open things up much more late in the game. The Giants D allowed 52 points to New Orleans, 27 to a Kaepernick led 49er team, and 27 to a Bradford led Eagle team. They've allowed over 6 yards/play in their last 5 games. Would you trust them? I wouldn't.

That aside, all the studies have shown that coaches are way too conservative when it comes to plays from the 1 and 2 yard line. Even if you fail, the opponent is backed up very deep in its own territory.

I agree coaches are too conservative, but mostly earlier in the game. I think game flow matters. The Jets are not the Saints on offense for sure. The other thing is if you take the 3, to lead 23-10, even if the Jets score a TD you get the ball back and only need another field goal to ice the game.

I'm all for playing the percentages, but I don't think going for it in that spot was the correct play. I said it at the time, but to be fair I didn't watch the rest of the game so I don't know exactly what happened after.

Robert Goren
12-08-2015, 06:41 AM
Joe Gibbs won three SuperBowls with three different QBs, and two of them were average:
Doug Williams and Mark Rypien....Eli is better than both of those guys.Doug Williams played in time when there was a prejudice against Black QBs. For most of his career he was the only starting Black QB in the NFL. After his Super Bowl Victory, he was hampered by series of injuries. When healthy (which was not often)and he was in Super Bowl XXII, Williams was much better QB than Eli. Rypien was not a very good QB, I will give you that. Eli is better than he was.

Valuist
12-08-2015, 10:01 AM
Doug Williams played in time when there was a prejudice against Black QBs. For most of his career he was the only starting Black QB in the NFL. After his Super Bowl Victory, he was hampered by series of injuries. When healthy (which was not often)and he was in Super Bowl XXII, Williams was much better QB than Eli. Rypien was not a very good QB, I will give you that. Eli is better than he was.

Williams also had a terrible supporting cast most of his career in Tampa. While rule changes have realistically made it impossible to statistically compare different eras, I'm inclined to agree Williams was probably a little better, but Eli was better than Rypien.

I'll give Eli (and the Giant defense) credit for the 2012 Super Bowl. But it was wrong for him to win Super Bowl MVP in 2008. The defense did a phenomenal job stopping that Greatest Show on Grass offense of the Patriots. David Tyree bailed Eli out with the greatest catch in SB history, without question. Tyree also had a TD catch. MVP should've been him, or one of the defensive guys.

Secondbest
12-20-2015, 03:11 PM
Can't see them keeping Coughlin now after this.But unless Reese goes also nothing will change.

Stillriledup
12-20-2015, 03:19 PM
Can't see them keeping Coughlin now after this.But unless Reese goes also nothing will change.

His team just quit on him in this game.

Ocala Mike
12-20-2015, 03:22 PM
Seriously! G-Men didn't show up for this one at all.

Secondbest
12-20-2015, 03:25 PM
Their just not any good.Too many drops bad play calls and the defense looked gassed at the end of the half on.Beckham is acting like a jerk.

tucker6
12-20-2015, 04:22 PM
His team just quit on him in this game.
:D Don't you just hate typing things too early. I've done it myself a time or two.

Stillriledup
12-20-2015, 04:33 PM
:D Don't you just hate typing things too early. I've done it myself a time or two.

I was right, they quit and Beckham made them unquit.

tucker6
12-20-2015, 04:44 PM
I was right, they quit and Beckham made them unquit.
when was the last time you made a mistake in your estimation?

Stillriledup
12-20-2015, 04:48 PM
when was the last time you made a mistake in your estimation?

When I responded to you.

Secondbest
12-20-2015, 05:11 PM
As soon as I posted they started coming back but it changes nothing.the defense can't make a stop when it has to and that pick by Eli in the endzone not good. they have too many losses at the end of games.Too me that's mostly on the coaching.

Valuist
12-20-2015, 06:32 PM
Giant defense is terrible. 171 rush yards allowed today; Newton put up a 117 QB rating. Allowed over 6 yards/play in 7 of the last 8 games.

Secondbest
12-20-2015, 09:40 PM
Giant defense is terrible. 171 rush yards allowed today; Newton put up a 117 QB rating. Allowed over 6 yards/play in 7 of the last 8 games.
They have few players.That's on Reese.His drafts have been terrible.Also the scouting director is Maras son. He won't get fired but he should be.

Stillriledup
12-26-2015, 10:10 PM
Cousins attended the Eli/Coughlin school of clock mgmt :D

tucker6
12-26-2015, 10:15 PM
Cousins attended the Eli/Coughlin school of clock mgmt :D
that was sad to see in a professional player.

Stillriledup
12-26-2015, 10:28 PM
that was sad to see in a professional player.

Funny thing about it is that nobody else knew, everyone stood around. That play would have worked perfectly as a fake.

Phi was also offsides and it wasnt called, one guy lined up offsides and a different guy encroached.

Secondbest
01-01-2016, 06:49 PM
Mike garafalo is reporting that Coughlin will resign on monday

Stillriledup
01-01-2016, 08:31 PM
Mike garafalo is reporting that Coughlin will resign on monday

Giants might be good pick, emotional send off, guys are going to be all in to win or TC.

I think. :D

Kash$
01-04-2016, 03:00 PM
12-19-2010 thread started..

Today 2 super bowls later Coughlin has step down..

cj
01-04-2016, 03:50 PM
12-19-2010 thread started..

Today 2 super bowls later Coughlin has step down..

Just one Super Bowl later, the other came before this thread started.

Kash$
01-04-2016, 06:13 PM
Just one Super Bowl later, the other came before this thread started.

Hall of Fame?

cj
01-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Hall of Fame?

Probably, he had a good record with Jacksonville too. He may not even be done.

DRIVEWAY
01-04-2016, 09:00 PM
Probably, he had a good record with Jacksonville too. He may not even be done.

Eagles!

Stillriledup
01-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Eagles!

That would be something :lol:

DRIVEWAY
01-09-2016, 03:20 PM
That would be something :lol:

Eagles asked Giants for permission to interview Coughlin.

Eagles interview scheduled for Monday.

cj
01-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Eagles asked Giants for permission to interview Coughlin.

Eagles interview scheduled for Monday.

Sadly for him the previous coach gutted most of the talent.

DRIVEWAY
01-09-2016, 03:35 PM
Sadly for him the previous coach gutted most of the talent.

Beasley Reese already did that for the Giants.

How tuff will it be for Eagles to win NFC East, if they have quality coaching, a few good free agents and a successful draft?

cj
01-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Beasley Reese already did that for the Giants.

How tuff will it be for Eagles to win NFC East, if they have quality coaching, a few good free agents and a successful draft?

You could say that about all the teams. The Giants need some help too, a lot, but they do have some stars in OBJ and Eli that you can build around. Defense is where they should focus.

DRIVEWAY
01-09-2016, 04:03 PM
You could say that about all the teams. The Giants need some help too, a lot, but they do have some stars in OBJ and Eli that you can build around. Defense is where they should focus.

But none more so than the teams in the NFC East.

The Giants need help on the defensive line, line backers and safeties.

The offense needs three wide receivers not just one, the offensive line lacks depth and needs Pugh to comeback strong, improvement at both running back and tight end are also essential.

Someone needs to keep Eli from coming of the rails.

Being a Giant fan it may be difficult to watch or next year might turn into another improbable playoff run.

ReplayRandall
01-09-2016, 04:09 PM
The offense needs three wide receivers not just one.

What... they have 2 talented receivers or did Hector Cruz get traded?

DRIVEWAY
01-09-2016, 05:32 PM

When was the last time he played? He's not even on the depth chart anymore.

The Giants have one wide receiver.

Stillriledup
01-09-2016, 05:53 PM

Isn't he done ?

Victor Cruz is who you mean, right?

cj
01-09-2016, 07:27 PM
But none more so than the teams in the NFC East.

Yeah, that is what I meant.

ReplayRandall
01-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Isn't he done ?

Victor Cruz is who you mean, right?

Right..

cj
01-09-2016, 07:49 PM
Right..

In related news, I hear Terrell Owens is really good too! :)