PDA

View Full Version : Freehold Picks: Sat., Dec. 18

Teach
12-18-2010, 08:59 AM
I'll be posting my Freehold picks at 12:30 pm

Teach
12-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Live from the home of "Afternoon Delight," Freehold Raceway in Freehold, New Jersey...It's "Saturday Afternoon Live"...with your host, Walt...a.k.a. "Teach," "The Harness Mavin," With guest appearances by: "The Voice," Larry Lederman, The "Orange Crush," Andy Ray Miller; The "Pandy Man," "Gentleman Jim" Pantaleano; Catello "The Cat-Man" Manzi"; Harry "The Falcon" Landy; Pat "The Harvard Man" Berry; Steve Smith; Jack Baggitt, Jr; Vinny Ginsburg and a host of others.

Race One: This first race has more "Ifs" in it than "'Conjunction Junction..What's Your Function?" I'm going try for some value here in this wide-open race (although I do believe the winner will come from the first five horses) with #3 Ricky Mcardo. I know. I know. This 4-year-old Mcardle-bred gelding hasn't shown much, lately. Yet, I believe his chances of winning are as good as any in this field. I would add that he's employed the chauffeuring services of Jack Baggitt, Jr. That's a plus. In the past, this pacer has turned in some decent efforts - he certainly gets a better starting post. However, one win in 30 tries this year (3-for-58, lifetime) is not particularly reassuring. Underneath: I like #1 L Flaviadi. The last time this horse raced in this company -- he won! The horse draws the rail. He runs evenly. So...it stands to reason that with any kind of trip - he should be right there. #2 Bull Moose has had one trip over Freehold's stone-dust carpet after shipping in from the Bay State. The horse might have needed that trip after a three-week "vacation". He certainly fits. My only caveat is that his only "recent" win came on a sloppy track. Then, there's #4 Captain Jeets with Steve Smith. This pacer got "hung out to dry" in his last after going frontward at the start from the extreme outside post. He does draw a better starting post and could be a player in this race. Finally, #5 Jazzy Hanover drew the rail last week and quickly took over the lead. However, as the horses moved down the lane toward the finish line, he was "backpedalling" and finished off the board. If Harry Landy can use his speed to put this horse "on the engine," last week's "tightener" might see this horse right there at the wire.

Teach
12-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Race Two: I like #5 Magic Dancer with the "Pandy Man," Jim Pantaleano. I'm kinda surprised that the Freehold oddsmaker installed him as a 5-1 shot. I think he should go off lower. Ignore last week's trip where this horse raced on the outside throughout most of the race. Jim Pantaleano is one of the best drivers campaigning at Freehold. He should be able to get this horse on or near the engine. If he gets reasonable fractions, he'll be a force to be reckoned with. Underneath: I like #1 Blazing Finale. This horse has drawn some tough outside posts in recent outings; he now draws the rail. That should be a big help in this horse's chances of hitting the tote. Also, #6 Hop Sing (Named for the cook in the TV series, "The Cartwrights"). This horse was once the "top dog" at The Meadowlands.(1:48.3), but "Father Time" does take its toll. Yet, with Andy Miller in the bike, this horse can be a player. He might be able to do it on memory. Also, #3 Fulla Fire has a chance of hitting the board. He won last week and, in the process, upset both Micheles Dream Guy and Jovial Mike. I don't see this horse getting his picture taken two weeks in a row, but to be part of a tri or super... Finally, there's #2 Stoman. He's finished third in his last three. He's the kind of horse who might just pick up the pieces in a tri or super.

Teach
12-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Race Three: #1 Kiwi Cam is a lightly-raced Cam's Card Shark-bred gelding that might just wake up from the rail. In his two previous starts, this horse has had mid-pack-to-outside starting slots. Well, the rail can do wonders. This horse has loads of back-class. In this race, no one's a stick-out. Underneath: I like #5 Hunter Hylight. He has finished third and second in his last two. I believe he's the focal horse -- someone you can "swing" in your tris and supers. #3 Fleeting Desire certainly deserves some attention. This Albatross-bred gelding fits in this company. Yet, I have to admit I find it hard to believe that he's been installed as this race's 3-1 morning-line fave. What concerns me about this horse is that he's been off for over two weeks. Oh, he's one-for-19 in the 2010 racing season. Yet, he does merit consideration. #2 Travers Hall with that man from Ft. Dix -- Floyd Pratt -- in the bike, has a knack of completing tris and supers. His inside post will help. Finally, #6 Panning For Gold might - if he's reasonably ready (he's been away from the races for about a month), be able to earn a minor award. All I can say is: watch the tote.

Teach
12-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Race Four: #3 Real Platinum disappointed last week (he went off 1/2) when he finally drew an inside post after a slew of outside starting slots. He ended up losing to Chris by a neck. Well, I'm gonna give him another shot. I liked him better last week, but I still believe he can take all the enchiladas. Just to be sure, I may back him up in the second spot. Driver Jim Pantaleano is most capable of getting this horse home under the wire, first. Underneath: I like a longshot, the New Zealand-bred, #1 Highview Fella N. This horse does have the rail; always a plus. He's a lightly-raced (only six previous starts this year) classy, veteran campaigner who has earned over a 1/3 of a mill., lifetime. He might be able to do on it memory. Also worthy of consideration is the outside horse, #8 Ludi Christy. This Carragh-bred gelding has won two in a row. He's got an early turn of foot. That may allow "The Cat-Man" to shoot him out for the lead as soon as the starter's car's wings' retract. He may well be able to find an upfront tuck -- or even the lead -- in a race that doesn't have a whole lot of early speed. If this horse can get to the front cleanly, it would definitely make this him a player. #2 BJ's Braveheart can't be overlooked. Every time "The Orange Crush" is listed on a horse I sit up and take notice. True, the horse hasn't shown much lately; but the switch to Andy Ray is immense. This horse should not be overlooked. Finally, #4 JatesTouchinHeaven closed nicely in his last (he went off at 140-1) against better (he finished fourth). I believe this horse has a chance to pick up the pieces in your tris and supers.

Teach
12-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Race Five: As I type, I can't bet Sir Sisu, Mr. Bridesmaid..(that sounds like an oxymoron) at 3-to-5. I've going with a longshot in this race, #2 Goodbye Gary, owned, trained and driven by Ray Baynes. I'm looking for some value in a race that features several horses with question marks next to their names. My rationale: Baynes has a knack of winning races like this, and thereby pulling off the upset. Can he do it here? There's certainly a chance. Underneath: One of the major threats is the #1 Winslow Chill. Admittedly, he didn't show much in his last; yet, he did compete against better. This horse did put together some good races at Plainridge Racecourse (a hop, skip and a jump from the New England Patriots home, Gillette Stadium). The aforementioned #5 horse, Sir Sisu, is the consummate bridesmaid. Last week, this Presidential Ball-bred horse came roaring down the stretch to finish third. He's most capable of reprising his bridesmaid role in this race. #6 Cole Combustion has been on my radar screen ever since Andy Ray Miller started driving him. Will this be the day? -- or as they say in German, "Der Tag". This well-bred Abercromie and Cole Muffler-sired gelding did finish third last week. This horse is 7-for-34 this year. I assume most of that was done earlier in the season in Chicago-land. Finally, #4 Limestone Ridge N has been off a couple weeks; yet, this classy vet merits consideration in your gimmicks. Jack Baggitt, Jr. is a most capable reinsman.

Teach
12-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Race Six: I like #1 Mr Coolie with "The Orange Crush". This horse has been racing on the wide, sweeping ovals of The Meadowlands, Woodbine and Mohawk. Yet, he did have a stakes race on a 1/2 mile-track in Sudbury, Ontario. He finished second in that race in the sterling time of 1:52.4. Anything resembling that kinda time in this kinda race and he could romp. Underneath: I like #2 The Idealist. Steve Smith guided this horse to a third-place finish, last week. He should be in the thick of things again this week. This horse is most capable of hitting the tote. #3 Stopwatch N is a veteran On The Road Again-bred gelding who merits consideration here. He finished fourth last week in this company. He now moves inside a couple notches and can easily be part of your tris and supers. #4 Here Comes Hal has finished second in his last two. He fits well in this company. He's driven by the ever-improving Vinny Ginsburg. Finally, #5 Kings Point has won his last two, albeit against softer company. Yet, on his best, he might be able to complete a gimmick.

Teach
12-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Race Seven: I can't bet The Boogeyman...Halloween is over! I like #3 Albert Street A, the Australian-bred Albert Albert gelding, gets the services of Andy Miller. Nuff Said! This horse is a major factor in this race with an excellent pilot in the bike. Albert Street A has been either first or second in six of his last eight tries. Andy Ray will likely have him "on the engine" and play: "Come-catch-me...if you can". Underneath: I like #2 Perdition (Perdition! Perdition!...Perdition! Who day and night...?) This horse has faced better recently at both Freehold and Pocono...with little to show for it. Yet, in his current good form, he could easily hit the tote in this company. A smooth trip would seem to be all that's necessary. I also like the #4, Shoot First, with Pat Berry. This horse has faced stiffer competition in his recent outings. He now moves in with the kinda company in which he can compete. #5 Answer The Bell with Steve Smith might just add value to your exotics. This Cam Fella-bred gelding could do little from the extreme outside post in a recent outing at The Big M. He now draws a better starting slot. He's most capable of hitting the board. Finally, #6 Moosehead Jack has admittedly shown very little, lately. Yet, he now employs the services of "The Cat-Man," Cat Manzi. As they say in Nepal: Katmandu. That alone should enhance his chances of being part of a gimmick.

Teach
12-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Race Eight: I'm going for some value. I choosing #8 Justin Art. This will be a real test for the kid from Monroe Township, Harry "The Falcon" Landy. He must get away from the starting gate quickly and gun this horse for the lead. That appears to be his only chance of winning (Cat Manzi did that last week with this horse from the seven-hole and barely missed). But that was a Hall-of-Fame reinsman. This is a kid more than forty years Manzi's junior. Speaking of "The Cat-Man," he's piloting #3 Fox Valley Sosa (both the logical choice and Manzi's likely choice). This horse would appear to be: "the major danger". He's got a good post and he's been either first or second in five of his last six races. #5 Superbe Rulah admittedly hasn't hit the board in a month of Sundays. Yet, he does fit in this company. He does have the services of the most capable Jim Pantaleano. This horse might just wake up and add value to your gimmicks. Watch the tote. #6 Lord Avalon won his last in this company. Admittedly, last week's win was from the rail. This time he moves outside. That will make it more difficult. Yet, on his best, the horse could get part in a tri or super. Finally, #4 Gold Star Smokin has turned in some decent efforts against slightly weaker. He might just surprise and pick up the pieces in a gimmick.

Teach
12-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Race Nine: #3 Medoland Mac looks like he's coming up to a winning effort: (1) he's piloted by the capable Steve Smith; (2) he's faced better in recent efforts; (3) he's hit the board in three of his last four; and (4) he has a good post from which to position himself early and mount a late-closing charge. Underneath: #2 Brickyard Wayne looks like a factor here. He draws a good starting post. He should be able to hit the tote. #4 J M Rambo won his last, albeit against weaker. Yet, I believe he fits in this company. Jack Baggitt, Jr.'s a plus. He should be able to be part of the gimmicks. #1 Heir Man has the knack of completing tris and supers. He's finished either 4th or 3rd in his last three. It would no great surprise if he again completed a gimmick. Finally, #6 Marchand was gunned to the lead by Jim Marshall, last week (27.3). Frankly, the horse had a brutal trip (he also took some late action; he was bet down to 4-1). Can he hit the board? It's possible. Watch the tote.

Teach
12-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Race Ten: #4 Keep On Flyin fits nicely in this company. I believe he's ready for a trip to the winner's circle. Steve Smith is most capable. The horse has had two-straight difficult starting posts. He now draws the #4 hole. If he gets a decent trip, he can get the job done. Underneath: I like #2 Very Cool N. This New Zealand-bred had a horrendous, parked-out trip in his last. If he gets proper handling, he can be a factor here. #2 Golden Seven hasn't shown much, lately. That doesn't mean he can't wake up and garner a minor award. #5 Mighty Art has done precious little over the past several weeks (he recently qualified in pedestrian time at The Meadowlands). Yet, this well-bred 3-year-old (at least for the next couple weeks) can wake up and get part in the exotics. Ted Wing, the Mainer...ayuh!, is a most capable driver. Finally, #1 Garner Seelster did win his last time against lesser company. He had the rail in his last; he now draws it again. He might just surprise and pick up the pieces in your tri or super.

Teach
12-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Race Eleven:: #1 ItTakesTwoBaby needed to leave from the outside eight-hole last week if he had any chance of winning -- he didn't. The horse finished last. This time around, he draws the rail. The last time he started from the number-one slot he won in 1:55.2. Further, Dave Pinkney, Jr. (I remember when he drove at the now defunct Foxboro Raceway, it's now one of the Gillette Stadium parking lots) is an excellent trainer. This horse, with any kind of decent handling, should prevail in this field. Underneath: #2 Chris upset the applecart last week by beating the one-to-two shot, Real Platinum. The horse is in excellent form - he's won four-straight. He is stepping up a bit. I do not believe he can win it; yet, I do think the horse should hit the tote. Another horse that fits in this company is the #6 BT's Spice Of Life. First, this horse has the driving services of Andy Ray Miller, and second, he's coming off a decent qualifier. Yes, he made need a race, a tightener; but, I wouldn't rule him put of any gimmicks or exotics. #7 Bolder has slumped lately (off the board in his last two starts after winning three-straight). Yet he has faced better. I would consider him in any tris or supers. Finally, #8 RC Raider is a horse with good early speed. Yes, he's coming from the extreme outside post. Yet, he does have Jim Pantaleano as his driver. "The Pandy Man" is a good gate-driver who knows how to ration out a horse's speed. If this horse can find a tuck, he might be a factor here. Watch the tote.

Teach
12-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Race Twelve: #3 Sun Moon Lake is my top pick on the afternoon. I think he has a wicked (Boston talk) good chance of getting the job done. This well-bred No Nukes-Artsplace gelding has been running against top-notch competition in the BlueRoute Stakes at Chester. Although the horse has had little to show for his recent stakes efforts, he fits very well in this lesser competition. You can add to that the fact that "The Orange Crush," Andy Ray Miller's in the bike. The horse looks like the one to beat at this level of competition. Underneath: #4 Artist Point won his last against stiffer competition at Freehold. Anything resembling that fine effort puts him in contention as the horses make their stretch run, #2 Price Polygon won his last against this same level of competition. He needs to be considered in your gimmicks and exotics. #5 Big Mystery has hit the board in three of his last five (two wins). In his current good form, he merits consideration. I don't envision this horse winning, but he may pick up the pieces in a tri or super. Finally, #6 Born For Cruising is a fast-closing No Nukes-bred gelding. He should not be overlooked in your exotic plays.

Teach
12-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Race Thirteen: In the Freehold finale, I like the Albert Albert-bred gelding, #3 Ridge Rocket (I remember when "Jersey Joe" Schwind drove this horse). This horse had no chance in his last start from the #6 hole. Last week, the horse did go off as a slightly higher than even-money fave in this same kinda race; he finished third. This time, this classy veteran campaigner draws the favorable three-slot. That improved post should make a big difference. Driver Steve Smith can get it done. Underneath: I'm looking for some value; I've decided to include #8 Wattie N. He's a horse that could complete an exacta or a tri. This horse won five of his last nine starts at MA's Plainridge Racecourse. Anything resembling those efforts and the horse should be able to overcome the outside starting slot. Also in the mix is the #6 Drama Party. Any time I see Andy Miller I think of those orange-white and black silks charging down the lane toward the wire. This horse merits serious consideration in all your exotic plays. A horse that might surprise is #4 Equal Space with Jarrett Kelly. The horse could do nothing in his last race - broken equipment. If the horse's equipment holds up and he gets a decent trip, he might just get part. Jarrett Kelly-driven horses have a knack of being part of a tri or super. You might want to consider him. Finally, #1 GoingNoWhereFast draws the rail. The horse did turn in a 1:57.3 against better company in his last. Last year, this horse posted a 1:55.2 at Yonkers. Worthy of consideration.