PDA

View Full Version : College Bowl selections

slew101
12-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Since we have some good NFL bettors here, how about a running thread on bowl season that starts Saturday?

I'll keep a running tally for all the bettors. Make your picks against the spread and you don't have to pick every game, just the ones you like.

I'll start.

Northern Illinois -1.5
Troy -2
(Also playing Georgia Southern +8.5 today in the FCS semifinals, but that won't count in the bowl picks)

NJ Stinks
12-18-2010, 02:54 AM
BYU -11.5

One team knows how to cover in bowl games and the other team doesn't.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :cool:

PICSIX
12-18-2010, 07:03 AM
Huskers -14

skate
12-18-2010, 02:50 PM
overall...get off the big 10...

years past, that's been my standard.

i must admit this year, im seeing curve balls, the big 10s are mucho dogs, which i do not like.

But but but, i'll play against the big10, straight plays.

slew101
12-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Bowl Day 1 recap. Nice to have a couple easy winners.

BYU 52, UTEP 24
Troy 48, Ohio 21
N. Illinois 40, Fresno St. 17

Totals
Slew 2-0 on day, 2-0 overall (did lose FCS semifinal on Southern)
NJ Stinks, 1-0 on day, 1-0 overall

PICSIX
12-19-2010, 08:35 AM
BYU -11.5

One team knows how to cover in bowl games and the other team doesn't.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :cool:

Good Call. :jump:

PICSIX
12-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Since we have some good NFL bettors here, how about a running thread on bowl season that starts Saturday?

I'll keep a running tally for all the bettors. Make your picks against the spread and you don't have to pick every game, just the ones you like.

I'll start.

Northern Illinois -1.5
Troy -2
(Also playing Georgia Southern +8.5 today in the FCS semifinals, but that won't count in the bowl picks)

Awesome Calls. :jump: :jump:

slew101
12-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Tuesday's Bowl game: Louisville (6-6) -2.5 vs. Southern Miss. (8-4)

Interesting game tonight features the Louisville defense (ranked in the Top 10 in several areas) vs. the Southern Miss. offense, which has scored 30 or more points in 8 straight games. My concern is Louisville's numbers are inflated by the bad offenses in the Big East. On the flip side, Southern Miss. plays no defense, having allowed 40 or more points in 5 of 12 games.

Siding with Louisville -2.5. The Cards played well late in the season, even in their losses.

slew101
12-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Bowl Day 2 recap

Louisville 31, Southern Miss 28: No idea how I won this game. Louisville down 14-0, 21-7, 28-21, and wins on kick return, blocked FG, some questionable officiating and wasted timeouts by SM.

Overall

Slew: 1-0 on day, 3-0 overall
NJ Stinks: no play, 1-0 overall

NJ Stinks
12-22-2010, 12:46 AM
I was going to take Southern Miss but didn't want to take less than a field goal. Would have been one tough beat - that's for sure.

Great start, Slew!

And thanks, PICSIX. I'm in a college bowl pool where you pick every game against the spread. 2 and 2 so far but I learned something.

One of my picks - the Bobcats - has never won a bowl game! (Got to write that down somewhere where I can find it next year. :bang: :) )

slew101
12-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Bowl Day 3

Las Vegas Bowl: Boise State (11-1) -16.5 vs. Utah (10-2).

Huge spread in this one as Utah must play without its starting QB. Utah went as high as No. 5 in the BCS before faltering late in losses to TCU and Notre Dame. We all know what happened to Boise, and you have to question how much they'll be up for this game when it looked like they would be in a BCS game. Utah has also won nine straight bowl games.

I think Boise rolls but this could be a game decided by a garbage TD either way, so I'll just watch this one.

No play.

bks
12-22-2010, 11:04 AM
On paper I like Boise to crush them, but the intangibles seem to favor Utah. Good recent bowl record and a downer conclusion to the season for Boise.

Still, Boise is 20+ points better than Utah, and I think they'll come out angry. Boise is the play.

slew101
12-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Bowl Day 3 recap

Boise State 26, Utah 3

Totals:
Slew: no play, 3-0 overall
NJ stinks: no play, 1-0 overall
Bks: 1-0, 1-0 overall

slew101
12-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Bowl Day 4

Poinsettia Bowl: San Diego State (8-4) -3 vs. Navy (8-4)

This game should be very good Thursday. Navy has covered in 4 of its last 5 bowl games, and San Diego State was a solid team in the Mountain West, beating Air Force and its triple-option, and playing TCU closer than anyone (40-35). My pick is Navy because they are only on a 12-day layoff while SDS hasn't played in a month. These option teams usually start fast before the defenses get adjusted and that could give Navy a boost.

This line also opened at -6 so money is coming in on Navy. Navy +3.

KingChas
12-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Bowl Day 2 recap

Louisville 31, Southern Miss 28: , some questionable officiating

A review of a fumble that everyone watching could clearly see was a fumble, actually cost S. Miss. the game.
What is the sense of replays in college football?

Sans a legitimate playoff structure.
College football is at an all time low.

PS;No betting interest or team preference here,glad you won. ;)

slew101
12-23-2010, 01:01 AM
That was clearly a fumble, but I think the announcers had it wrong. They said SM had the clear recovery. But in replay, clear recovery usually means the defender is by himself or pops up with the ball. In this case, the defender had it but the runner also was grabbing for it. So instead of saying it was a fumble with no recovery, they just said play stands.

Same deal as the Roeslthberger fumble in the Miami game earlier this season. A definite flaw in replay.

A review of a fumble that everyone watching could clearly see was a fumble, actually cost S. Miss. the game.
What is the sense of replays in college football?

Sans a legitimate playoff structure.
College football is at an all time low.

PS;No betting interest or team preference here,glad you won. ;)

KingChas
12-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Didn't know that was the situation.
Thanks for clearing it up.
Sorry for interupting your betting thread with my vent.
Really do want a college playoff structure.
Happy Holidays....keep winning. ;)

slew101
12-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Bowl Day 4 recap

San Diego State 35, Navy 14. Good game for 3 quarters but Navy got behind early in this one and couldn't come back.

Overall totals:
Slew: 0-1 on day, 3-1 overall
Bks: no play, 1-0 overall
NJ stinks: no play, 1-0 overall

slew101
12-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Bowl Day 5

Hawaii Bowl: Hawaii (10-3) -10 vs. Tulsa (9-3).

Just taking a stab in this one. Didn't see Tulsa this year, and only saw Hawaii get blown out against Boise. Tulsa is another Conference USA team that scores a ton of points and plays little defense. Favorites are 5-0 ATS so far in the bowl season. Hoping that changes Friday night.

Tulsa +10.

NJ Stinks
12-24-2010, 02:22 AM
I'm not picking a side tomorrow but I'm already sitting on over 73. I just hope it doesn't rain in Honolulu.

At any rate, if the winner doesn't score around 50 points, I'll be surprised - and paying the man, of course. :)

slew101
12-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Bowl Day 5 recap

Tulsa 62, Hawaii 35: Tulsa looked like the team that should have been favored by 10 points. Hit a nice ML score on this one as well.

Totals
NJ Stinks: 1-0 day, 2-0 overall
Slew: 1-0 day, 4-1 overall

NJ Stinks
12-25-2010, 12:35 AM
I believe you (and Tulsa) just gave me an early Christmas present, Slew! :cool:

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

slew101
12-25-2010, 12:49 AM
How about those 4 TDs in 2 minutes in the third quarter? That took care of the over pretty quickly.

I believe you (and Tulsa) just gave me an early Christmas present, Slew! :cool:

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

slew101
12-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Bowl Day 6

Little Caesars Bowl: Toledo (8-4) -1.5 vs. Florida International (6-6).

Florida International makes its first bowl trip after finishing 6-2 after an 0-4 start. Three of those four losses were to bowl teams, Pitt, Texas A&M, and Maryland. FI also routed Troy 52-35, and Troy was impressive beating up on Mac team Ohio. Saw Toledo play a couple times on ESPN. They can score points but they don't play much defense. I have to side against Mac teams in most bowl games.

Florida International +1.5

slew101
12-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Bowl Day 6 recap

Florida International 34, Toledo 32: This was a wild game. Toledo builds a 24-7 lead, falls behind in the 4th 31-24, scores a TD with 1:13 left and goes for 2 for a 32-31 lead. FIU then converts a 4th and 17 on a hook and lateral to keep the last drive alive and eventual boots a FG to win it.

Interesting note on this game. This morning, the line was Toledo -1.5. By game time, FIU was up to a 2.5 point favorite, meaning many in Vegas lost and won on the same teams.

I had FIU +1.5 so the kick didn't matter for me. Was thrilled Toledo went for two since my overtime luck is usually terrible.

Totals
Slew: 1-0 on day, 5-1 overall
NJ Stinks: no play, 2-0 overall

slew101
12-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Bowl Day 7

Independence Bowl: Air Force (8-4) -3 vs. Georgia Tech (6-6).

Air Force is usually an underdog in its bowl games so I'm hesitant to lay points but will do so anyways. The Falcons could be the best 8-4 team in the country. Their losses were to Oklahoma, TCU, Utah and San Diego State and were competitve in every game.

Georgia Tech had a terrible season in the ACC. Al Groh was brought in to improve the defense but actually did a worse job than Greg Robinson at Michigan. Tech's defense was one of the worst in the nation. Tech has also lost 5 straight bowl games. They are still dangerous with their talent level but I'm hoping the players are not up for this earlier than usual game.

Air Force -3.

slew101
12-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Bowl Day 7 recap

Air Force 14, Georgia Tech 7: Add this one to another bowl game I had no business winning. Air Force did nothing for most of this game but 3 Georgia Tech turnovers in the second half killed a TD drive inside the 5 when Tech was up 7-6, then set up AF's game-winning touchdown on a muffed punt inside the 15.

Totals
Slew: 1-0 on day, 6-1 overall
NJ Stinks: no play, 2-0 overall

bks
12-27-2010, 10:06 PM
really good work, slew. Doesn't matter how you win, but that you do.

NJ Stinks
12-27-2010, 11:52 PM
really good work, slew. Doesn't matter how you win, but that you do.

Amen! :ThmbUp:

I may have to sit tomorrow too. But I'm here for the duration, Slew. :cool:

slew101
12-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Bowl Day 8

Champs Sports Bowl: West Virginia (9-3) -3. vs. N.C. State (8-4):

This is a tough game to handicap. On paper, I think West Virginia is much better. The Mountaineers handed two of their losses on platters to Syracuse and UConn, and only lost by 6 at LSU. They should have been 11-1 and in a BCS game. Which leads to the bizarre decision to hire the Okla. State offensive coordinator as their new coach in 2012, but still let Bill Stewart coach next year with the coach in waiting on his staff. Dumbest idea I've ever heard. If Stewart is no good, fire him now. Why let him coach another season with a coach in waiting who is not even on the current staff?

NC State started 4-0 but only went 4-4 down the stretch. QB Wilson is good but inconsistent. He's also headed for baseball career. Not what I want in my starting QB. The NC State coach has a very good bowl record dating back to his Boston College days.

No play.

Insight Bowl: Missouri (10-2) -2.5 vs. Iowa (7-5)

Lots of people loving Missouri in this spot. I didn't like Iowa all season and thought they never were as good as advertised. That was proven with their late-season collapse. But Iowa has been pretty good in bowl games recently and has a decent defense. Missouri overachieved all season but I don't think the Big 12 was that great this year.

Iowa +2.5

bks
12-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Missouri (-2.5) vs. Iowa (o/u 46.5)

slew has it right that the whole world seems to be on Missouri. Iowa's top receiver is ineligible, as is their senior running back. But their freshman back Coker might be better, and anyway it's their defense that should be the difference in this game.

I couldn't get on the right side of Iowa this year. That loss to Minnesota was an ugly display of insufficient desire to win. But this is a team which crushed Michigan State, smothered Penn State, had Ohio State dead to rights in the fourth quarter before Pryor pulled the game our on a 4th-and-10 play, and which was the last team to give Wisconsin a tussle (31-30 in late October).

It's up to Ferentz to get them refocused on playing, and to forget about the disappointments late in the season. If properly motivated, they're at least a touchdown better than Missouri, IMO

Play is Iowa.

on the O/U, no play, but leaning to the over, as I would not be surprised to see Iowa roll out to a good-sized lead in the first half, producing lots of passing later in the game as Missouri tries to catch up.

slew101
12-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Not only that, but they should have lost to Indiana. WR had a walk-in TD with 19 seconds left for the win and he dropped it.

Just hoping Iowa got its game together in the month it has had off.

I couldn't get on the right side of Iowa this year. That loss to Minnesota was an ugly display of insufficient desire to win. But this is a team which crushed Michigan State, smothered Penn State, had Ohio State dead to rights in the fourth quarter before Pryor pulled the game our on a 4th-and-10 play, and which was the last team to give Wisconsin a tussle (31-30 in late October).

It's up to Ferentz to get them refocused on playing, and to forget about the disappointments late in the season. If properly motivated, they're at least a touchdown better than Missouri, IMO

Play is Iowa.

on the O/U, no play, but leaning to the over, as I would not be surprised to see Iowa roll out to a good-sized lead in the first half, producing lots of passing later in the game as Missouri tries to catch up.

slew101
12-29-2010, 01:17 AM
Bowl Day 8 recap

NC State 23, West Virginia 7: Only one word to describe West Virginia. Embarrassing.

Iowa 27, Missouri 24: Iowa blows big lead and looks dead with Mizzou up 24-20 and driving with 5:30 left. QB then throws a Pick 6 to give Iowa the lead and they hold on after a replay reversal on 4th down conversion for Mizzou.

Totals
Slew: 1-0 on day, 7-1 overall
Bks: 1-0 on day, 2-0 overall
NJ Stinks: No play, 2-0 overall

slew101
12-29-2010, 01:34 AM
Bowl Day 9

Military Bowl: Maryland (8-4) -7.5 vs. East Carolina (6-6): Tough game to read here as Maryland coach coaches his final game after being fired despite earning coach of the year honor. Have to think the players will want him to go out a winner but no way to know. East Carolina did beat NC State during the season but defense is pretty bad. Maryland finished very strong and should roll here.

No play, although I will tease Maryland with SMU on Thursday.

Texas Bowl: Baylor (7-5) -1 vs. Illinois (6-6). Good matchup here as Baylor's high-powered offense meets a solid Illinois defense. Baylor lost its last three and doesn't play much defense. Illinois doesn't run the option but they only run the football with little passing game. Taking the better defense here.

Illinois +1

Alamo Bowl: Oklahoma State (10-2) -5 vs. Arizona (7-5). Don't like either of these teams.

No play.

NJ Stinks
12-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Slew, you are putting on a clinic. :ThmbUp:

I'm a big Oklahoma State fan tonight (need the over too) but I passed here because I've got Oklahoma State -4.5. For some reason, when somebody is favored by five points it's like entering the Bermuda Triangle when I play. :eek: :)

slew101
12-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Arizona is downright terrible. I played against them in their last three games. Just wasn't sold on OSU but they are rolling so far.

I'm a big Oklahoma State fan tonight (need the over too) but I passed here because I've got Oklahoma State -4.5. For some reason, when somebody is favored by five points it's like entering the Bermuda Triangle when I play. :eek: :)

Robert Fischer
12-29-2010, 11:51 PM
u make it look easy slew

slew101
12-30-2010, 12:41 AM
Just like racing, it can turn on a dime.

u make it look easy slew

slew101
12-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Great call. I feel dumb for not taking OSU in this game. I knew Arizona was awful.

slew101
12-30-2010, 12:52 AM
Bowl Day 9 recap

Maryland 51, East Carolina 20: I was kicking myself for only playing a teaser on Maryland in this one as this game went on. East Carolina was putrid and should have lost by an even bigger margin.

Illinois 38, Baylor 14: Make it 2-0 for the Big 10 against the Big 12. I knew Illinois could play defense, but its performance in this game was fantastic. Baylor never had a prayer. Easy winner. Illinois passed for more yards in the first half than its season average for a full game.

Oklahoma State 36, Arizona 10: Arizona lays another egg in a bowl game. Five straight losses to end the season. Nice.

Totals:
Slew: 1-0 on day (teaser pending), 8-1 overall
NJ Stinks: 1-0 on day, 3-0 overall
Bks: no play, 2-0 overall

slew101
12-30-2010, 12:58 AM
Bowl Day 10

Armed Forces Bowl: SMU (7-6) -7 vs. Army (6-6).

Army makes its first bowl trip in 13 years to face SMU, which actually was a little disappointing but did have some tough losses, including its conference final against Central Florida. SMU and its passing game should win this, but Army has kept many of its games close, so I will not lay a TD here.

No play, but SMU in teaser.

Pinstripe Bowl: Kansas State (7-5) pick vs. Syrcause (7-5).

This is a game I like a lot. Kansas State should be at least a FG favorite here and was very competitive in the Big 12 and beat the teams they were supposed to beat this year. And Syracuse is a team Kansas State should beat. Syracuse started 5-1 but finished 2-4 and only scored 26 points in their last 3 games. They also have trouble protecting their QB.

Kansas State PK

Music Bowl: North Carolina (7-5) pick vs. Tennessee (6-6).

Normally, a 6-6 SEC team would be dangerous. I don't see it here. Tennessee did win its last 4 after a 2-6 start to make a bowl game under a first-year coach but they didn't beat any good teams to get there. UNC had a tough year with suspensions but still beat Florida State and should have won at least two more games. I also think the coaching matchup here is a mismatch in favor of UNC.

North Carolina PK

Holiday Bowl: Nebraska (10-2) -13.5 vs. Washington (6-6).

Nebraska crushed Washington 56-21 at Washington in Week 4 and on paper, this game should be a rout. However, Nebraska had BCS and even national title hopes and now winds up playing on Dec. 30 against a team it manhandled earlier in the season. Tough to see them getting up for this game. That said, I wouldn't play Washington with monopoly money. The QB is a top prospect but he doesn't have much talent around him. The Huskies did win their last 3 to make it to 6-6 but the Huskies will need some help from Nebraska to stay close in this one.

No play

NJ Stinks
12-30-2010, 01:46 AM
Nebraska -13.5

Not much to brag about when taking the second biggest bowl favorite on the remaining board. Reasons abound including the fact that Nebraska bounced back from a crushing loss to Texas in the Big 12 Championship Game in 2009 to route Arizona in the Holiday Bowl. And it's worth mentioning that Arizona handled Washington (44-14) two months ago.

Anyway, despite the fact that the 2010 Cornhuskers were not as dominant as they were in 2009, I'm investing in hotels on Boardwalk and Park Place! :)

slew101
12-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Like the play. I might jump in if my early plays cash. Motivation is the issue but Pelini is a pretty intense coach. Washington has improved a little in the second half of the season, but hard to see them winning or staying close here.

Nebraska's record is 10-3, not 10-2 as I posted in the preview. They lost to A&M, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Nebraska -13.5

Not much to brag about when taking the second biggest bowl favorite on the remaining board. Reasons abound including the fact that Nebraska bounced back from a crushing loss to Texas in the Big 12 Championship Game in 2009 to route Arizona in the Holiday Bowl. And it's worth mentioning that Arizona handled Washington (44-14) two months ago.

Anyway, despite the fact that the 2010 Cornhuskers were not as dominant as they were in 2009, I'm investing in hotels on Boardwalk and Park Place! :)

rastajenk
12-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Trent Steelman, as the name of a QB for Army, sounds totally made up. Is the military propaganda machine responsible for this? :liar:

Marshall Bennett
12-30-2010, 01:54 PM
The ESPN lady announcer sounds transgender. ~click~ ... back to horseracing.

slew101
12-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Two losses today in the final seconds. There goes my momentum. :bang:

NJ Stinks
12-30-2010, 06:45 PM
Unless that was some sort of an obscene gesture that I missed, the call that decided the Syracuse win was worse than pathetic. I can't imagine making the trip from Kansas and being subjected to that bit of insanity in The Big Apple. :ThmbDown:

slew101
12-30-2010, 07:23 PM
They penalized the WR after the TD for saluting the crowd. Unlike the pros, those penalties are not enforced on the kickoff, but the PAT. So K-State had to try for 2 from the 17-yard-line. Sad thing was the WR was open but the QB missed him.

BS call, but I had no faith KS would have stopped Syracuse with 1:13 left.

Unless that was some sort of an obscene gesture that I missed, the call that decided the Syracuse win was worse than pathetic. I can't imagine making the trip from Kansas and being subjected to that bit of insanity in The Big Apple. :ThmbDown:

slew101
12-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Both TDs caught in the nightcap between UNC and Tenn had each WR using their hands to celebrate TDs, and no flags.

cj's dad
12-30-2010, 10:08 PM
They penalized the WR after the TD for saluting the crowd. Unlike the pros, those penalties are not enforced on the kickoff, but the PAT. So K-State had to try for 2 from the 17-yard-line. Sad thing was the WR was open but the QB missed him.

BS call, but I had no faith KS would have stopped Syracuse with 1:13 left.

Total BS

rastajenk
12-30-2010, 10:33 PM
The Tenn-NCgame is even more bizarre.

cj
12-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Total BS

I thought you were supposed to have fun playing sports. If that is a penalty, we may as well send robots out to play.

slew101
12-31-2010, 01:39 AM
Bowl Day 10 recap

Army 16, SMU 14: SMU blew up my teaser with this awful performance. 4 turnovers in the first half and trailing 16-0 at halftime, they come back to 16-14 in the fourth, but miss a 47-yard FG with 3 minutes left and Army runs out the clock. Army wins first bowl game in 25 years.

Syracuse 36, Kansas State 34: I knew the K-State defense was bad but 450 yards to Syracuse? Unreal. Syracuse scored more points in this game than it had in its last 3 games combined. Syracuse was just as bad on defense and game came down to 2-point try from the 18 after official flagged K-State WR for saluting the crowd after a TD to make it 36-34. Tough call and tough beat, but I had no faith K-State would have stopped Syracuse in the final 1:13 anyways. K-State coach also tried a crazy fake FG from the 10-yard-line at 33-28 on 4th and 5 instead of letting his offense stay on the field where they didn't get stopped once in the second half.

UNC 30, Tennessee 27 (2OT): Just when I thought my luck was gone, somehow UNC wins this game. Down 20-17 with 31 seconds left on their own 20, UNC gets a 30-yard pass, plus 15-yard personal foul to get into FG range. They then blow the clock on a running down and have 15 men on the field when they spike. They only get penalized 5 yards and the refs put 1 second back on the clock. Kicker then nails a FG and they win it in double OT. And, UNC was only down 3 in the final seconds because Tennessee missed an extra point on their TD with 5 minutes left.

Washington 19, Nebraska 7: Classic letdown game, and Nebraska delivered the goods in a pathetic effort as a 13-point favorite. This game stunk from the minute the bowl games were announced. And the fact the line went from 14.5 down to 13 showed the money was on the right team and most of us missed it. Washington should have won by an even bigger score. They missed two FGs and were stopped on downs on the Nebraska 1.

Totals
Slew: 1-2 on day, 9-3 overall
NJ Stinks: 0-1 on day, 3-1 overall
Bks: no play, 2-0 overall
Picsix: 0-1 on day, 0-1 overall

slew101
12-31-2010, 01:43 AM
Bowl Day 11

Meineke Bowl: Clemson (6-6) -6 vs. South Florida (7-5).

Not much analysis here as I always bet against Clemson in bowl games, and usually win. They always find a way to lose, but they are not playing a big-time opponent here. SF plays good defense but doesn't have much offense. Hopefully, a low-scoring game here with the points.

South Florida +6

Sun Bowl: Miami (7-5) -3 vs. Notre Dame (7-5).

Tough to know how Miami will play under interim coach who will not get the top job. Notre Dame finished the season strong, and showed great improvement on defense after being embarrassed by Navy. Anybody who doesn't think Brian Kelly is a very good coach, just look at what happened to Cincinnati after he left. From back-to-back BCS bowls to 4-8.

Notre Dame +3

Liberty Bowl: Georgia (6-6) -6.5 vs. Central Florida (10-2).

Georgia finished 5-2 after a 1-4 start and likely saved its coach's job. CF was strong in Conference USA, but I wasn't impressed against SMU in the title game. Don't like this game at all and won't even watch it. Georgia is a very boring team.

No play.

Chick Fil-A Bowl:

Florida State (9-4) vs. South Carolina (9-4). This should be a good one. I always play Florida State in bowl games, especially as underdogs. SC was embarrassed in its last two bowl games against Iowa and UConn and should have motivation to play well here. FSU's passing game should be able to score against SC's defense.

Florida State +3

bks
12-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Georgia (-6.5) vs. Central Fla.

Going to back the 'dog here as an anti-Georgia play more than anything else. I can't believe Georgia is going to get all the way up for a team most of their players never heard of before three weeks ago, and which is maybe the 5th-best team in the state of Florida. They looked very erratic against Georgia Tech, too, almost blowing that game.

CF has a decent defense and has never won a bowl game, so they should be fully motivated against an SEC opponent.

CF +6.5 is the play.

skate
12-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Wellpers, here i sit (just had to open my big mouth), going against the big ten and 0-2.

i didnt even know that 0-2 existed until now.:confused:

slew101
12-31-2010, 07:02 PM
Should have joined you on this one. Nice call. :ThmbUp:

Georgia is pure garbage in any tough game under Reich. Can't believe he still has a job.

[QUOTE=bks]Going to back the 'dog here as an anti-Georgia play more than anything else.

Ocala Mike
12-31-2010, 10:09 PM
Anyone on here in that ESPN "Bowl Mania" contest? Not picking against the spread, and not assigning any confidence factors, but I'm 16-5 straight up in the first 21 games, and need Florida State tonight.

The leader is 19-2. I'm ranked #44 (tie) out of probably 250,000 or more players.

Went with all 4 dogs today, and so far 3 of them have won outright.

Ocala Mike

slew101
12-31-2010, 10:42 PM
FSU set to make it 4-0 if they can hold on.

What is the prize? How many people cash?

Anyone on here in that ESPN "Bowl Mania" contest? Not picking against the spread, and not assigning any confidence factors, but I'm 16-5 straight up in the first 21 games, and need Florida State tonight.

The leader is 19-2. I'm ranked #44 (tie) out of probably 250,000 or more players.

Went with all 4 dogs today, and so far 3 of them have won outright.

Ocala Mike

slew101
12-31-2010, 10:55 PM
Bowl Day 11 recap

South Florida 31, Clemson 26: Clemson did its usual tank job in its bowl game, getting dominated by South Florida. Only two late TDs made the score respectable. Big East teams now 3-1 in bowl games after having no teams ranked at the end of the season.

Notre Dame 33, Miami 17: Guess we found out how motivated Miami was under its interim coach? This game was over after 5 minutes, with ND leading 27-3 at halftime. Good finish to the season for ND.

Central Florida 10, Georgia 6: Typical garbage effort by Georgia in a bowl game. Good season for CF. How the Georgia coach keeps his job is beyond me. They tank every big game he coaches in and underachieve every season. Must have pictures of somebody.

Florida State 26, South Carolina 17: South Carolina turned the ball over 6 times in the first three quarters, and FSU ran the ball down their throats. I lost on Spurrier the last two years in bowl games and vowed never gain. FSU quarterback Manual played super in relief of Ponder. FSU should have been favored in this game.

Totals
Slew: 3-0 on day, 12-3 overall
Bks: 1-0 on day, 3-0 overall
NJ Stinks: no play, 3-1 overall
Picsix: no play, 0-1 overall

Ocala Mike
12-31-2010, 11:30 PM
The contest is mostly for "bragging rights" and an ESPN publicity deal. Looks like only the two winners ("confidence" and "straight") win a $2000 Best Buy gift card each.

I'm now 17-5, which puts me tied for 26th with lots of guys. Five people are 19-3 and 20 are 18-4.

I'll probably go 1-5 or 2-4 tomorrow. Have too many favorites!

Ocala Mike

slew101
01-01-2011, 12:15 AM
That happened to me a few years ago. Was in a pool with spreads and was something like 16-2 going into New Year's Day and went 1-5.

I'm wary of that this year since I've been picking well in these bowls.

I'll probably go 1-5 or 2-4 tomorrow. Have too many favorites!

Ocala Mike

slew101
01-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Bowl Day 12

Ticket City Bowl: Texas Tech (7-5) -10 vs. Northwestern (7-5).

How either of these two teams are playing on New Year's is a joke. Tech went 3-5 in the Big 12 and Northwestern allowed 118 points in its last two games, and lost 3 of its last 4. The Wildcats did play some good football earlier in the season and should keep this game close and maybe win outright. Tech has been famous for losing bowl games as big favorites.

Northwestern +10

Outback Bowl: Florida (7-5) -7 vs. Penn State (7-5).

Another two teams that should be watching football on New Year's. Florida was terrible this year and Penn State wasn't much better. Florida will play hard in Urban Meyer's finale but Paterno's teams always play well in bowl games. I think Penn State is a little better than its record indicates.

Penn State +7

Capital One Bowl: Alabama (9-3) -10 vs. Michigan State (11-1).

Hard to believe this line as Bama imploded in every tough game it had while MSU won a bunch of close games and gets no respect despite 11-1 record.

Michigan State +10

Gator Bowl: Mississippi State (8-4) -4 vs. Michigan (7-5)

I really like Michigan here. MSU plays solid defense and will need it to contain Michigan's QB. MSU did shut down Cam Newton better than anyone in a Week 3 17-14 loss, but that was well before Newton got rolling. MSU's offense is not very good, but Michigan's defense could be the worst in the nation. Backing Denard Robinson in this one.

Michigan +4

Rose Bowl: TCU (12-0) -3 vs. Wisconsin (11-1)

Everyone seems to be on Wisconsin with its high-powered running game. But I can't root for that coach who scored 82 on Indiana and 72 against Northwestern. I hope TCU beats them down. Might make a ML play on this one with the favorite. Wisconsin getting points is tempting, but I'm going the other way, although just a hunch play. Just not sure how TCU will play after not playing many tough games during the season.

TCU -3

Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma (11-2) -16.5 vs. UConn (8-4).

I know many people will point to the Washington-Nebraska game as a reason not to back big favorites. But in this game, I can't see UConn being even remotely competitive. They can't pass the ball and OU should be able to score points at will. I really think OU is as talented as anyone in the country. Stoops has lost a bunch of BCS bowl games recently but OU should cruise in this one. I'll predict 48-10. If UConn keeps this close, I'd be shocked.

Oklahoma -16.5

NJ Stinks
01-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Well done today, Slew! :ThmbUp:

I took the day off today to regroup - as opposed to recoup. :( Now I understand how anyone who had Tennessee yesterday was devastated but I'll say this. If you had under 50 in that game as I did, you can't possibly feel any less fortunate. And, of course, Nebraska sent me down for the count without so much as a whimper.

But tomorrow is a new day in a new year and I'm ready to wail - I mean roll! :cool:

bks
01-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Today's plays, for which I'll spare the write-up as Slew has covered the ground ably:

Northwestern +10

PSU +7

Michigan St. +10

One where we disagree:

Miss. St. -4

This is a well-coached team that, while unspectacular, always shows up to play. They have a good defense and an excellent running attack, which bodes well against Michigan's defensive weakness against the run. Further, MSU always seems to beat the teams it should beat, while struggling against the top teams in the conference. They are better than Michigan, and I think they'll contain Robinson enough to win by more than a touchdown.

slew101
01-01-2011, 11:59 AM
This game is really a referendum on Rodriguez. If his players want him to stay, they need a big game. I can't see Greg Robinson returning in any scenario. I will disagree on one point. I know the stats are bad, but I think run defense has been OK for Michigan against non-powerhouse teams. It's their pass defense which is really bad, but MSU doesn't throw that much.

Should be a good game.

This is a well-coached team that, while unspectacular, always shows up to play. They have a good defense and an excellent running attack, which bodes well against Michigan's defensive weakness against the run. Further, MSU always seems to beat the teams it should beat, while struggling against the top teams in the conference. They are better than Michigan, and I think they'll contain Robinson enough to win by more than a touchdown.

bks
01-01-2011, 12:04 PM
btw, looks like some major point-spread moves on MSU and Northwestern late. Saw MSU at +8 and NW at +7.5 minutes ago.

Marshall Bennett
01-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Like Michigan St.'s chances (+10) and Wisconsin (+3).

I've always found it tough handicapping bowl games. Believe a huge factor is the time off (many teams haven't played in 5 or 6 weeks) and momentum often is lost entirely. Believe this has been the case with a lot of the teams that have already played.

TJDave
01-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma (11-2) -16.5 vs. UConn (8-4).

I know many people will point to the Washington-Nebraska game as a reason not to back big favorites. But in this game, I can't see UConn being even remotely competitive. They can't pass the ball and OU should be able to score points at will. I really think OU is as talented as anyone in the country. Stoops has lost a bunch of BCS bowl games recently but OU should cruise in this one. I'll predict 48-10. If UConn keeps this close, I'd be shocked.

Oklahoma -16.5

From years of experience as a fan this is the perfect scenario in which OU should lose. On paper, they'll destroy UConn...Which means they'll probably get embarrassed. I wouldn't bet 'em with found money.

slew101
01-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Possible, but I don't see it. Line is down to 13, so people are playing UConn.

Oklahoma -13.

From years of experience as a fan this is the perfect scenario in which OU should lose. On paper, they'll destroy UConn...Which means they'll probably get embarrassed. I wouldn't bet 'em with found money.

slew101
01-01-2011, 06:55 PM
I had earlier lines in my preview. NW ended up +7.5 to 8.5 in most places, and MSU was +8.5 to 9.

Didn't matter either way.

btw, looks like some major point-spread moves on MSU and Northwestern late. Saw MSU at +8 and NW at +7.5 minutes ago.

slew101
01-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Bowl Day 12 recap

Texas Tech 45, Northwestern 38: Miracle cover here for Northwestern backers. They were down 21 and never in this game until a Pick 6 with 5 minutes left the back door open.

Alabama 49, Michigan State 7: This was my worst bet of the bowl season. Michigan State is atrocious in bowl games and why I thought that would change here is beyond me. They are awful. Bad play.

Miss. State 52, Michigan 14: Believe it or not, I don't regret this play. I thought Michigan would score all day. Wrong. You almost feel sorry for Greg Robinson. This guy has coached awful football for the last 10 years and somehow still has a job.

Florida 37, Penn State 24: Get a gift, then give a gift. Penn State had the cover the entire game and had a shot at the win until an 80-yard Pick 6 with 50 seconds left. Brutal beat, but it simply offsets the Northwestern game, which I had no business winning. Penn State was the better team but five interceptions allowed Florida to win. Watching this game was unbearable with Mike Tirico blowing Urban Meyer like the guy is God. Just sickening.

TCU 21, Wisconsin 19: Tough beat for TCU backers as they had plenty of chances to bury Wisconsin in the second half and couldn't. Badgers missed a 2-pointer with 2 minutes left to try and force OT. I had a ML play on TCU on this one as well as a straight up play, but it goes down as a tough beat.

Oklahoma 48, UConn 20: Painful to watch, but OU gets the cover despite keeping UConn in the game for three quarters by giving up a Pick 6 and kickoff return for a TD. Game should have been around 50-6 as OU outgained UConn 500-200. UConn threw two Pick 6s themselves and didn't score an offensive TD in its last 9 quarters.

Totals:
Slew: 2-4 on day, 14-7 overall
Bks: 2-2 on day, 5-2 overall
Marshall Bennett: 1-1 on day, 1-1 overall
Picsix: no play, 0-1 overall

cj's dad
01-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Congrats - 14 & 7 is awesome !! You should open your own betting site next year !

Marshall Bennett
01-02-2011, 07:08 AM
Good for TCU. Found it strange that the Badgers after keeping the ball on the ground and scoring late would decide to go to the air for the 2 pt. conversion. We're only talking 2.5 yrds.

slew101
01-02-2011, 10:57 AM
I'd like to see a stat on 2-point conversions regarding rush/pass ratio. I'd bet it's at least 75 percent passes. I agree, if anyone could have run that it, it was Wisconsin.

The sad thing for the Badgers was the TE was wide open and the pass was deflected at the line.

Good for TCU. Found it strange that the Badgers after keeping the ball on the ground and scoring late would decide to go to the air for the 2 pt. conversion. We're only talking 2.5 yrds.

skate
01-02-2011, 01:44 PM
overall...get off the big 10...

years past, that's been my standard.

i must admit this year, im seeing curve balls, the big 10s are mucho dogs, which i do not like.

But but but, i'll play against the big10, straight plays.

:cool:

slew101
01-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Bowl Day 13

Orange Bowl: Stanford (11-1) -3.5 vs. Virginia Tech (11-2)

Two red hot teams meet here. Stanford only lost to Oregon and has pounded most teams they have faced. Virginia Tech has won 11 straight since opening the season with losses to Boise State and FCS James Madison. Tough play, but I'm backing Virginia Tech. They dismantled Florida State in the ACC title game and showed a lot after an 0-2 start. Stanford is as good as anyone in the country, but not playing for the title and its coach's future job prospects could lead to an upset.

Virginia Tech +3.5

Bettowin
01-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Bowl Day 13

Orange Bowl: Stanford (11-1) -3.5 vs. Virginia Tech (11-2)

Two red hot teams meet here. Stanford only lost to Oregon and has pounded most teams they have faced. Virginia Tech has won 11 straight since opening the season with losses to Boise State and FCS James Madison. Tough play, but I'm backing Virginia Tech. They dismantled Florida State in the ACC title game and showed a lot after an 0-2 start. Stanford is as good as anyone in the country, but not playing for the title and its coach's future job prospects could lead to an upset.

Virginia Tech +3.5

I like Stanford in this one. Afterall, they will have Luck on their side:)

Marshall Bennett
01-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Stanford (-3.5)

bks
01-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Great game. I'm leery that everyone not named Slew and their mother is on Stanford.

Both of these teams would beat Auburn four out of ten times, and the winner, in my view, should be ranked #2 in the country at the end of the year. I don't think Harbaugh's coaching future will be a distraction, and I think the difference in the game will be that Stanford will score when it has to, while Virginia Tech may not be able to. With VT, special teams is always an x factor, but this Stanford team is rock solid.

I am surprised the line has been so small, and that gives me pause too. I'm going to play the under for my official selection, as I think Stanford's defense is good enough to hold Tech to 21 pts. or less.

Play is under 58.5

PhantomOnTour
01-03-2011, 09:51 PM
What's with the Va Tech uniforms tonite? They look like Syracuse.

Ocala Mike
01-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Is anyone on here rethinking Oregon/Auburn based on Stanford's tour de force tonight? If the Ducks scored 52 against these guys, they might score 85 against the Razorbacks, no?

Ocala Mike

slew101
01-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Bowl Day 13 recap

Stanford 40, Virginia Tech 12: Tech stayed close for a half and this game turned in the first 5 minutes of the second half when Tech dropped a Pick 6 down 13-12. Stanford then drives for a TD to start the rout. Only good thing was I turned the game off after 3 quarters and didn't have to listen to Mike Tirico. Glad Bks won the under. Looked like Stanford was going to ruin a good bet in the fourth quarter.

Totals:
Slew: 0-1 on day, 14-8 overall
Bks: 1-0 on day, 6-2 overall
NJ Stinks: No play, 3-1 overall
Marshall Bennett: 1-0 on day, 2-1 overall
Bettowin: 1-0 on day, 1-0 overall

slew101
01-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Bowl Day 14

Sugar Bowl: Ohio State (11-2) -3 vs. Arkansas (10-2).

Backing a Big 10 team in a BCS game against the SEC is like a suicide mission. But I'm doing it anyways. Ohio State did beat Oregon last year when nobody thought they had a chance. I'm surprised they are favored here. Arkansas could actually be 12-0. They lost a 10-point lead in the 4th quarter to Alabama, then lost the lead to Auburn in the 4th before imploding late in a 65-43 loss. I think Pryor's running could give Arkansas trouble and the OSU defense might be better against a passing team than a running team. I'll be making a money line play on OSU with a small straight up play, but most of the experts are taking Arkansas and I can't blame them. I cashed a big play on OSU in the Rose Bowl last year, so will ride with Pryor one more time.

Ohio State -3 (and a ML play).

slew101
01-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Auburn is the Tigers, but I agree with your point. Problem is, Oregon might score 85 and lose 90-85.

Neither of those teams can play defense.

Is anyone on here rethinking Oregon/Auburn based on Stanford's tour de force tonight? If the Ducks scored 52 against these guys, they might score 85 against the Razorbacks, no?

Ocala Mike

Ocala Mike
01-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Of course, I meant to say the Ducks could score 85 against the Tigers, not the Razorbacks. Thinking about tomorrow's game already.

Ocala Mike

bks
01-04-2011, 02:03 AM
That was some whupping Stanford put on a very good VT team. I got lucky it stayed under. Should have gone with my gut feeling, and not had to sweat.

I've been a big Oregon fan all year, but I'm not sure how much a factor Stanford's big win tonight should be in assessing the Ducks' chances against Auburn. I think Stanford is significantly better now than they were when Oregon beat them. Keep in mind: Stanford had Oregon on the ropes early, 21-3. The Ducks went into hyperdrive in the second quarter instead of the second half, and eventually did to Stanford what they did to most teams, which is wear them out.

Somehow I don't think they could do that to the Stanford defense I saw tonight.

PhantomOnTour
01-04-2011, 11:16 AM
How long do ya'll think Petrino will stay at Arkansas? If he beats Ohio St. tonite he may see some interest from places like Michigan(?).

Arkansas is a fine program but not a Grade A top notch job.

Marshall Bennett
01-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Arkansas (+3.5)

Bettowin
01-04-2011, 07:35 PM
I am going Ohio St and giving 3 points. I just think OSU's defense will be able to keep Arkansas in check long enough to win it late.

slew101
01-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Bowl Day 14 recap

Ohio State 31, Arkansas 26: Score one for the Big 10, barely. Ohio State was dominant in the first half, building a 28-7 lead, then fell apart in the second half and almost gave this game away. Arkansas gets a punt block at the OSU 17 with 55 seconds left down 31-26 and Mallett gets picked two plays later.

Totals
Slew: 1-0 on day, 15-8 overall
Bks: no play, 6-2 overall
Bettowin: 1-0 on day, 2-0 overall
Marshall Bennett: 0-1 on day, 2-2 overall

NJ Stinks
01-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Fall on the blocked punt?

Knock your own guy away from recovering a fumble?

Sometimes you really do get what you deserve.

slew101
01-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Three guys for Arkansas didn't try and pick it up. That's the one time you WANT to try and pick it up since it doesn't matter if you muff it.

Total gift for OSU backers, but we'll take it.

Fall on the blocked punt?

Knock your own guy away from recovering a fumble?

Sometimes you really do get what you deserve.

NJ Stinks
01-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Three guys for Arkansas didn't try and pick it up. That's the one time you WANT to try and pick it up since it doesn't matter if you muff it.

.... but we'll take it.

Absolutely! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

bks
01-05-2011, 12:57 AM
It's a topic for another thread, but football at the pro and major college level is in decline like the rest of (much of) society, as evidenced by plays like the blocked punt and the safety registered by Arkansas.

The blocked punt shows that players don't really understand the rules, which perhaps isn't so different from earlier times. But on a play like that, with so much hanging in the balance, how come the players aren't briefed by their coaches wrt what to do should a punt get blocked, or a snap muffed, etc. Teams have a special teams coach. How hard is it to run through the two or three possibilities with a minute to play?

The safety is the really galling play. The OSU player was two-to-three yards outside the end zone when his forward progress was stopped. He absolutely should not lose his forward progress simply because a defender drives him two yards into the end zone and then releases him. What should the OSU running back have done to avoid this fate? Fallen down in the end zone? If so, you're now asking players to think in ways that are not consistent with long-standing elements of coaching. What player can be asked to have the presence of mind to do that, which, by the way, still requires that the ref see the play that way in order for the running back not to be seen as giving up on the play? It's just an impossible situation, one emblematic of the degree to which we've lost our way in these games. Players don't tackle any longer; they try to stand up their opponents to strip them, often long after forward progress has been stopped. We rely on the hair-splitting exactness of instant replay in favor of our own judgment, which is often superior to what replay shows (examples upon request since this post is getting long).

slew101
01-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Trying to think of the worst calls during the bowl season, and that one might be No. 1.

Another thing that infuriates me is after a safety, why do coaches choose to punt from the 20 instead of kicking off? Especially last night. The OSU kicker didn't hit one over 35 all night, so of course he shanks the kick and Arkansas starts from the 49.

They do this in the NFL as well. I did see one coach use the kickoff after a safety recently and was shocked. I can't remember if it was an NFL or college game. If you kick, odds are your kicker can get it to the 20 and you have a good chance of keeping them inside the 40. You never know what a punter is going to do.

[QUOTE=bks]The safety is the really galling play. The OSU player was two-to-three yards outside the end zone when his forward progress was stopped.

cj
01-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Punts travel nearly as far and with more hang time. Overall, it is the smarter option. Nothing works 100% of the time. Come to think of it, if you kick off, I don't think you can use a tee.

slew101
01-05-2011, 04:08 PM
I think in the NFL, you'd have to kick it off the ground. In college, you can use a tee. I know I saw some team kick off after a safety recently and there was nobody holding the ball.

Punts travel nearly as far and with more hang time. Overall, it is the smarter option. Nothing works 100% of the time. Come to think of it, if you kick off, I don't think you can use a tee.

cj
01-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Yes, that is correct. The punt is going to be the better play more times than not.

Marshall Bennett
01-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Tee's are used the same in both pro and college now...only on kickoffs.

cj
01-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Tee's are used the same in both pro and college now...only on kickoffs.

Not after a safety.

cj's dad
01-05-2011, 09:08 PM
It's a topic for another thread, but football at the pro and major college level is in decline like the rest of (much of) society, as evidenced by plays like the blocked punt and the safety registered by Arkansas.

The blocked punt shows that players don't really understand the rules, which perhaps isn't so different from earlier times. But on a play like that, with so much hanging in the balance, how come the players aren't briefed by their coaches wrt what to do should a punt get blocked, or a snap muffed, etc. Teams have a special teams coach. How hard is it to run through the two or three possibilities with a minute to play?

The safety is the really galling play. The OSU player was two-to-three yards outside the end zone when his forward progress was stopped. He absolutely should not lose his forward progress simply because a defender drives him two yards into the end zone and then releases him. What should the OSU running back have done to avoid this fate? Fallen down in the end zone? If so, you're now asking players to think in ways that are not consistent with long-standing elements of coaching. What player can be asked to have the presence of mind to do that, which, by the way, still requires that the ref see the play that way in order for the running back not to be seen as giving up on the play? It's just an impossible situation, one emblematic of the degree to which we've lost our way in these games. Players don't tackle any longer; they try to stand up their opponents to strip them, often long after forward progress has been stopped. We rely on the hair-splitting exactness of instant replay in favor of our own judgment, which is often superior to what replay shows (examples upon request since this post is getting long).

I agree with 90% of what you have posted. My only issue is with the bolded part (mine). How do we know that the special teams coach did not refresh his players pea brains prior to the play which led to the blocked punt ??

We are dealing with players in nearly all sports who are out of their element when it comes to THINKING !!

Most want to thump their chests, unbuckle their chin straps and dance around for 30 seconds after doing what they are supposed to do, as in sacking the QB- a stop behind the line etc...

slew101
01-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Bowl Day 15 (Thursday)

GoDaddy.com Bowl: Middle Tennessee State (6-6) -2 vs. Miami (Ohio) (9-4).

You have to be a college football die-hard and a degenerate gambler to play this game, and I'm both. This game has had the most line movement of any bowl game, opening at Miami -2 and shifting to MTS -2 in the last couple days. MTS won its last three games to become bowl eligible, while Miami won the MAC title by beating Northern Illinois as a 17-point underdog, and we saw how good Northern Illinois was in its bowl win. Key here is MTS quarterback Dwight Dasher. He missed time earlier in the season with a suspension and injuries but is back on his game. He led a bowl victory last season over Southern Miss. Miami will be coached by an interim coach who won't get the job, so tough to know how they'll respond. Will take the veteran, running quarterback in this one.

Middle Tennessee State -2.

NJ Stinks
01-06-2011, 12:27 AM
I could be wrong about this but I'll post my thoughts anyway. I don't think many players nowadays know much about simple football strategy. And I think the reason may be because they didn't play football for fun with other kids when they were young. And when these kids got to college, they never did learn what to do while in high school. (If the kid was a star in high school - and chances are he was - wrong choices turned out great so what's the big deal?)

For example, how many times have you seen a college kid intercept a pass 40 yards downfield on 4th down. Then the kid gets tackled 35 yards downfield and celebrates his great play. Even worse, how many times have you seen somebody make the game-saving interception and then try to run with it after making the interception when the only way his team can lose the game is if he fumbles and the other team recovers?

Then there is the guy who on 3rd and 10 runs downfield 7 yards on a hook pattern. Or the guy who fields a punt inside the 10 yard line? (That used to be totally taboo.)

Anyway, if a player understands football strategy, he will instinctively do the right thing. As opposed to trying to remember what coach said while the play is going on.

Summing things up, unorganized sandlot football was/is a great teacher for everybody playing in all facets of the game. Do something stupid and your peers would/will set you straight. Pronto.

slew101
01-06-2011, 01:07 AM
This one drives me nuts. Should be hammered into every defensive player. Some players might have bonuses for TDs, so they don't care about winning the game, only getting the money.

[QUOTE=NJ Stinks]Even worse, how many times have you seen somebody make the game-saving interception and then try to run with it after making the interception when the only way his team can lose the game is if he fumbles and the other team recovers?

cj
01-06-2011, 09:54 AM
I wouldn't even say doing the right thing is really instinct. Instinct is to intercept the ball. You have to THINK before the snap about the situation and know what you should do. This is why I think these things occur, players don't think enough about the situation before the snap.

RaceBookJoe
01-06-2011, 09:57 AM
I could be wrong about this but I'll post my thoughts anyway. I don't think many players nowadays know much about simple football strategy. And I think the reason may be because they didn't play football for fun with other kids when they were young. And when these kids got to college, they never did learn what to do while in high school. (If the kid was a star in high school - and chances are he was - wrong choices turned out great so what's the big deal?)

For example, how many times have you seen a college kid intercept a pass 40 yards downfield on 4th down. Then the kid gets tackled 35 yards downfield and celebrates his great play. Even worse, how many times have you seen somebody make the game-saving interception and then try to run with it after making the interception when the only way his team can lose the game is if he fumbles and the other team recovers?

Then there is the guy who on 3rd and 10 runs downfield 7 yards on a hook pattern. Or the guy who fields a punt inside the 10 yard line? (That used to be totally taboo.)

Anyway, if a player understands football strategy, he will instinctively do the right thing. As opposed to trying to remember what coach said while the play is going on.

Summing things up, unorganized sandlot football was/is a great teacher for everybody playing in all facets of the game. Do something stupid and your peers would/will set you straight. Pronto.

Good post, and i want to add 1 more thing that drives me insane. Too many guys on defense are more worried about getting a "sportscenter highlight" big hit...but dont make the tackle. Sandlot football you locked in on the ball carriers knees or belt buckle, wrapped him up and drove him to the ground. rbj

slew101
01-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Bowl Day 15 recap

GoDaddy.com Bowl: Miami (Ohio) 35, Middle Tennessee State 21: Totally wrong on the MTS quarterback. He might be the worst quarterback in any bowl game I've seen. Four picks in the second half and he looked like he was playing in a daze. Miami inherited the win, but good for them with all the chaos surrounding the coaches.

Totals
Slew: 0-1 on day, 15-9 overall
Bettowin: no play, 2-0 overall
Marshall Bennett: no play, 2-2 overall

slew101
01-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Bowl Day 16

Cotton Bowl: LSU (10-2) -2 vs. Texas A&M (9-3)

Nice matchup here as Texas A&M returns to the Cotton Bowl game, which it has won many times. Aggies looking to end season on a 7-game winning streak, and not only defeated Oklahoma but also Nebraska. LSU won a bunch of close games before finally hitting reality in losses to Auburn and Arkansas. Can't back Les Miles here.

Texas A&M +2

ElKabong
01-07-2011, 12:08 AM
if this game were played during the season, LSU would beat anm senseless. Big gap there.....but who knows if LSU is even interested in this (meaningless) bowl game

btw, Jerryworld is a horrible venue for college football. Beautiful joint but not the place for a college game atmosphere

slew101
01-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I agree. I liked the old look of the Cotton Bowl.

btw, Jerryworld is a horrible venue for college football. Beautiful joint but not the place for a college game atmosphere

Marshall Bennett
01-07-2011, 12:06 PM
LSU (-2) Believe A&M will get destoyed in this one.

slew101
01-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Bowl Day 16 recap

Cotton Bowl: LSU 41, Texas A&M 24: A&M jumped to a 10-0 lead, but were dominated from there. I should have known that Mike Sherman's teams play no defense. LSU's quarterback had 4 TD passes on the season and 3 in this game. Enough said.

Totals
Slew: 0-1 on day, 15-10 overall
Marshall Bennett: 1-0 on day, 3-2 overall

slew101
01-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Great call. A&M had me fooled. I thought they could play some defense from the games I watched this season.

slew101
01-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Bowl Day 17

Compass Bowl: Pittsburgh (7-5) -4 vs. Kentucky (6-6)

Limping to the finish line, but gotta keep playing. Decent matchup here featuring Big East and SEC teams. Pitt played better than its record indicated and blew the Big East title with a terrible loss to UConn in November when it had a 2-game lead and a 9-point second half lead. Panthers rely on a freshman QB and stingy defense, and will play under interim coach (former SMU coach Bennett) since Dave Wannstadt was fired. Kentucky actually played Auburn very well, losing 37-34, and the Wildcats can score points but don't play much defense. Pitt's running game should control this game, but I can't lay 4 points in a game that should be close. Pitt ML play for me, but no play on spread.

No play.

PhantomOnTour
01-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Don't mess with Les!!!
Miles is now 28-1 in non conference games, and an excellent record in bowl games.

Dahoss2002
01-08-2011, 01:28 AM
GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

judd
01-08-2011, 08:57 AM
great call

bks
01-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Want to get this one in under the wire. The panthers are more talented on offense, and I think Kentucky will struggle to score vs. Pitt, so I'm taking the Panthers -4. Best of luck, all.

Panthers -4

slew101
01-08-2011, 02:20 PM
I had no idea Kentucky's QB was out. His replacement is awful.

Want to get this one in under the wire. The panthers are more talented on offense, and I think Kentucky will struggle to score vs. Pitt, so I'm taking the Panthers -4. Best of luck, all.

Panthers -4

slew101
01-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Bowl Day 17 recap

Compass Bowl: Pitt 27, Kentucky 10: Kentucky was doomed from the start with a backup quarterback against Pitt's defense. Panthers took control in the second quarter with a blocked punt that led to a TD and cruised from there.

Totals
Slew: No play, 15-10 overall
Bks: 1-0 on day, 7-2 overall
Marshall Bennett: no play, 3-2 overall

slew101
01-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Bowl Day 18

Hunger Bowl: Nevada (12-1) -7.5 vs. Boston College (7-5)

Boston College was 2-5 before ending the season with a 5-game winning streak behind its strong defense. Nevada stunned Boise State but were blown out as a 14-point favorite last year in a bowl game against SMU. Tough call here, but I think this game will be close so will take the points.

Boston College +7.5

NJ Stinks
01-09-2011, 08:58 PM
While I'm not going all out in tonight's contest, I'm going with the WAC co-champs to down the ACC entry. My reasons are few so I'll just get it out there. Any team that can beat Boise State must be mighty tough.

Nevada -7.5

slew101
01-10-2011, 12:35 AM
Bowl Day 18 recap

Fight Hunger Bowl: Nevada 20, Boston College 13: Boston College was dreadful on offense in this game, but its defense was terrific in defeat, holding Nevada to 13 points. Difference was a punt return for a TD. BC gets the back door cover on a FG with 4 minutes left.

Totals
Slew: 1-0 on day, 16-10 overall
Bks: no play, 7-2 overall
NJ Stinks: 0-1 on day, 3-2 overall
Marshall Bennett: no play, 3-2 overall

slew101
01-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Bowl Day 19

BCS championship: Auburn (13-0) -2.5 vs. Oregon (12-0)

Two great offenses, and two pretty average defenses, match up here. Tossup game. I don't like Auburn, but feel they are the better team. Its second half against Alabama was incredible. Oregon is well coached and should have plenty of chances to win this game. Rooting for the Ducks, so will back them.

Quack, Quack, +2.5

Marshall Bennett
01-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Auburn (-2.5)

bks
01-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Oregon is the best team in the country, and has been since day 1 this season. They are the only team that does what it does to other teams - literally wear them out. Auburn may not get as worn out, as they are used to practicing against a no-huddle, but Oregon isn't just a no-huddle team. Their second-half tempo is crazy, and in the crucible of the game I see them being able to get an edge off of that.

Let's keep the TV timeouts short, and the Ducks should win a national championship.

Play is Oregon +2.5

PhantomOnTour
01-10-2011, 12:02 PM
I pick Auburn tonight.

My thinking is they will play a ground game, ball control, time consuming, long drive oriented offense behind their huge O line (compared to the Ducks D line). Three yards and a cloud of dust baby...Keep the defense fresh for the 2nd half.

Bettowin
01-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Auburn to cover is my bet. I liked the under when it was 74 1/2. Auburn's size should make the difference. David vs Goliath:)

goatchaser
01-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Quacking my way to Victory. Team speed should make the difference.

Bettowin
01-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Quacking my way to Victory. Team speed should make the difference.

Off topic but wondering if you catch any goats and if you do what do you do with them? ;)

slew101
01-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Line down to PK.

Bettowin
01-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Line down to PK.

Where?

bks
01-10-2011, 02:09 PM
pk for me too

mrhorseplayer
01-10-2011, 02:27 PM
rlm with 68% on auburn but the line keeps dropping?

Marshall Bennett
01-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Line down to PK.
Ok, I pick Auburn. :D

NJ Stinks
01-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Over 72

Hopefully, I'm going to enjoy an offensive explosion.

slew101
01-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Oregon -1 at kickoff. This is some line movement. 3.5 points in 12 hours. Oregon was +3 for 40 days leading up to this game.

Rookies
01-10-2011, 08:47 PM
3 minutes in. I've got the team with the Bills next QB! ;)

bks
01-10-2011, 11:14 PM
wow. I'm just shocked at how slow Oregon looks against Auburn. They look like the tired team at the end of the third period. We'll see.

And where on earth is the pass rush?

redshift1
01-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Auburn looks clearly better but neither team impresses in a surprisingly unexciting game

horses4courses
01-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Auburn looks clearly better but neither team impresses in a surprisingly unexciting game

I'd have been surprised if Oregon won tonight.

Only game I saw live this year was in Berkeley, when Cal came within a whisker of beating the Ducks.

Game's not over yet, though. Auburn just turned it over.

PhantomOnTour
01-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Wow...we've got drama now. Newton is really banged up. Let's see what he's got.

redshift1
01-11-2011, 12:10 AM
wow oregon stopped on the play...wow

PhantomOnTour
01-11-2011, 12:19 AM
I think the refs got both calls correct on the review. Nice strategy from Chizik to kneel and take the clock to 2 seconds. Five straight for the SEC.

bks
01-11-2011, 12:21 AM
I have no doubt Auburn drives for the winning field goal anyway, but of all the dumb rules in football this might be the worst. A player who has been tackled should be ruled down if either he, or the player that TACKLED him, is contacting the ground with knees or upper body. Not a hard concept.

At least the better team won.

Slew, thanks for a great thread :)

Bettowin
01-11-2011, 12:26 AM
I have no doubt Auburn drives for the winning field goal anyway, but of all the dumb rules in football this might be the worst. A player who has been tackled should be ruled down if either he, or the player that TACKLED him, is contacting the ground with knees or upper body. Not a hard concept.

At least the better team won.

Slew, thanks for a great thread :)

Try to enforce that rule. No way would it work. The definition of tackle is to get the guy with the ball on the ground. He was never on the ground.

End of story.

mostpost
01-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Oregon should have kicked the field goal in the third quarter when they had fourth and one on the goal line. It would have put them within five and the last touchdown would have given them the lead.
Maybe Auburn would have still marched down field at the end to tie or win the game, but I think it is very different to sustain a drive when you are behind and have everything to lose.

Bettowin
01-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Oregon should have kicked the field goal in the third quarter when they had fourth and one on the goal line. It would have put them within five and the last touchdown would have given them the lead.
Maybe Auburn would have still marched down field at the end to tie or win the game, but I think it is very different to sustain a drive when you are behind and have everything to lose.

Either that or quit trying to run into that NFL'esque line:)

slew101
01-11-2011, 01:30 AM
I didn't object going for the TD, but why did Oregon keep running into the line on the short side of the field? Drives me nuts. Get the QB out in space with a bootleg and give him a run/throw option.

Tough beat for Oregon backers. Wish I had taken the 3 points when it was offered for 30 days. I can't believe the line movement in this game to Oregon being favored. Oddsmakers had it right. Auburn was the right favorite.

On the run, I thought if the runner's wrist was down, he was down. But maybe that's in the NFL.

We also answered the safety question, with Oregon using the tee for a kickoff after a safety.

Either that or quit trying to run into that NFL'esque line:)

slew101
01-11-2011, 01:32 AM
Bowl season totals final records (minimum 3 plays)

Thanks to the posters for the picks/analysis. I think we all had some nice winners, some tough beats, but also some lucky wins.

Totals
Slew: 16-11 overall
Bks: 7-3 overall
Bettowin: 3-0 overall
Marshall Bennett: 4-2 overall
NJ Stinks: 3-3 overall

Marshall Bennett
01-11-2011, 05:05 AM
Thanks Slew for your work here and nice job with your picks (16-11). You picked several games i wouldn't have wagered on. It's much easier when you pick & choose your games. :ThmbUp:

NJ Stinks
01-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Same here, Slew! :cool:

I enjoyed reading your analysis of the games as well as the game summaries.

Really, this thread made the entire Bowl season more enjoyable. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

As an aside, I would have made more picks myself here but I spend most of my fall Saturdays watching HRTV and TVG and that doesn't help come Bowl season.

Bettowin
01-11-2011, 07:14 PM
I also enjoyed reading all the analysis and picks but was travelling for most of the time and either missed games or didn't like them.

Not long until March Madness. Can't wait for that thread:)

slew101
01-11-2011, 11:46 PM
I used to love college basketball, even in the regular season. But now, I don't even get excited for the NCAA tournament anymore.

Of course that won't stop me from playing in March, but I'll be relying on other people's picks, having not watched one play this year.

I also enjoyed reading all the analysis and picks but was travelling for most of the time and either missed games or didn't like them.

Not long until March Madness. Can't wait for that thread:)

Bettowin
01-12-2011, 12:10 AM
I used to love college basketball, even in the regular season. But now, I don't even get excited for the NCAA tournament anymore.

Of course that won't stop me from playing in March, but I'll be relying on other people's picks, having not watched one play this year.

What turned you off to it? Nothing in sports tops March Madness.

slew101
01-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Think I just soured on betting basketball.

What turned you off to it? Nothing in sports tops March Madness.

rastajenk
01-12-2011, 06:14 AM
Thanks Slew for your work here and nice job with your picks (16-11). You picked several games i wouldn't have wagered on. It's much easier when you pick & choose your games. :ThmbUp:Ditto that. I found myself checking in daily just to check your progress and get your latest take. Well done.

Bowl games have to be among the toughest events to pick. You never really know which teams will dog it, which ones will show up sharp, and most importantly, how the coaching changes affect a team, up or down. I wonder how it might be different if the coaching carousel couldn't start until after the final bowl game.

Maybe something like that could add a little extra pressure to get them done sooner, too. By the time Monday got here I really couldn't care less who would win. :sleeping: Ten days after New Year's was way too long to stretch it out. If I were the Czar of Football, you'd get the Sugar in an early evening New Year's Eve slot; the Fiesta, Rose, and Orange on Jan 1; and that atrocity known as the National Championship game on Jan 2. Old school had much greater impact.