PDA

View Full Version : Larry King

bigmack
12-16-2010, 11:24 PM
It's over for the suspendered one. I heard Arnold was on and declared this Larry King Day in California. :D

Question to Madonna years ago: Were you a dancer that became a singer or a singer that became a dancer?

I'd run into him at a deli in BevHills. He's Jewish, like me.

http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/larry-king-mug-shot.jpg

JustRalph
12-17-2010, 12:39 AM
The guy was great on radio in the 70's from South Florida. I never warmed up to him on TV. I used to work a 3rd shift Security job as one of three I had at the time. Larry King was syndicated on a Columbus Station. We spent many nights together.

Greyfox
12-17-2010, 12:47 AM
Best interviewer ever. Interviewed Presidents, Queens, everyman.

But CNN goes to Britain to replace him? Some example for giving Americans jobs. Gimmee a break.

Grits
12-17-2010, 01:05 AM

But CNN goes to Britain to replace him? Some example for giving Americans jobs. Gimmee a break.

I admit GF, I was surprised at this, too. How does one go from judging "America's Got Talent" contestants to landing the Larry King gig? Granted Morgan may have done a good job, but this is, somewhat, like apples and oranges possibly.

redshift1
12-17-2010, 01:18 AM

He could ask the most direct and poignant questions without being patronizing or offensive.

sonnyp
12-17-2010, 01:50 AM
i never cared much for larry king, but i heard him tell the following story once, and if true, it's one that's pretty easy to relate to.

(i hope the proper credit has been shown for the source)

Editor's note: Below is an excerpt from Larry King's autobiography, "My Remarkable Journey," (http://www.weinsteinbooks.com/catalog/book/my_remarkable_journey) published by Weinstein Books and available at bookstores nationwide.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/books/05/14/larry.king.track/art.lk.book.cover.jpg
I was thirty-seven years old. (In 1971). I had no job. I had a couple hundred thousand dollars in debts. And a four-year-old daughter. I'd take Chaia to our secret park on our visiting days. That's when the pain cut the deepest -- looking at my daughter and knowing I had no way to support her.

Things got bleaker and bleaker. I became a recluse. By late May, I was down to forty-two dollars. My rent was paid only until the end of the month. I locked myself in my apartment wondering how bad things could possibly get. Pretty soon I wouldn't even be able to afford cigarettes. I remembered a night when I was a young man in New York, alone, cold, and without cigarettes or the money to buy them -- I had smashed open a vending machine to get a pack.

A friend called up and told me to start living like a human being again. He invited me to the track. I had nothing better to do, and I figured it would be good therapy to get out and have lunch with a friend and watch the horses come down the stretch.

I'll never forget that day. I put on a Pierre Cardin jeans outfit that had no pockets and drove to Calder Race Course. I can still see the horses warming up before the third race. There was a horse called Lady Forli -- a filly running against males.

Normally, female horses don't beat males. We're talking cheap horses. I scanned the board and saw that she was 70-1. But my eyes really opened when I looked at the racing form. Racetrack people talk to each other. So I turned to the guy next to me and said, "You know, this horse, three races back, won in more or less the same company. Why is she 70-1?"

"Well," the guy said, "there's a couple of new horses here."

"Yeah, but she should be, like, 20-1. Not 70--1."

Screw it. I bet ten dollars on the horse to win. But I kept looking at the horse. The more I looked at this horse, the more I liked it. So I bet exactas. I bet Lady Forli on top of every other horse and below every other horse. Now I had what's called a wheel.

I kept looking at the horse. Wait a minute, I told myself, I've got four dollars left. I have a pack of cigarettes. I've gotta give the valet two bucks. That still leaves me with money to bet a trifecta.

My birthday is November 19. Lady Forli was number 11. So I bet 11 to win, 1 to place, and 9 to show.

Now I had bets in for 11 on top, 11 on bottom, and 11 to win. And I had a trifecta -- 11- 1

When the race began, I had two dollars left to my name -- and that was for the valet.

They broke out of the gate. The 1 broke on top, the 9 ran second, and the 11 came out third. The 11 passed the 9, passed the 1, and they ran in a straight line all around the track. There was no question about it. The 11 won by five lengths. The 1 was three lengths ahead of the 9. I had every winning ticket. I had it to win. I had the exacta. I had the trifecta. I collected nearly eight thousand dollars. Eight thousand dollars!

It had to be one of the happiest moments of my life -- certainly the most exciting. But I had no pockets.

So I stuffed all the money in my jacket. It was bundled up. I didn't know what to do with it. I ran out of the track. The valet attendant came over and said, "You leaving so early?"

"Yeah."

"Bad day, Mr. King?"

I tipped him fifty dollars. The guy nearly fainted.

I had to go somewhere, to stop and make sure it was real. I drove to a vacant lot, which is now called Dolphin Stadium. I parked among the weeds and opened up my jacket. All the money spilled out. I counted out about seventy-nine hundred dollars.

I paid my child support for the next year. I paid my rent for a year. I bought twenty cartons of cigarettes and stacked them up in my apartment, and I filled the refrigerator.

Up to that point, that may have been the happiest moment of my life. Now, today, if I go to the track and win $8,000, it's very nice, but it won't affect my life one iota. It's nice to win. But when you really need it .

bigmack
12-17-2010, 04:42 AM
Lawrence Harvey Zeiger was married 8 times to 7 women. :D

Go Larry.

Tom
12-17-2010, 07:36 AM
We used to drive up to the top of a hill near the lake at night to pick up the radio station he was on. One night, he interviewed Moe Howard.
It was great!

Grits
12-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Lawrence Harvey Zeiger was married 8 times to 7 women. :D

Go Larry.

Serial husband.

When will women ever learn to avoid those???

banacek
12-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Serial husband.

When will women ever learn to avoid those???

Yeah, especially Henry VIII..as the old English rhyme goes:

"Divorced, beheaded, died; Divorced beheaded survived.";)

OTM Al
12-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Hey sonnyp. We went over that story when it first came out. It may be based on something that really happened, but in the specifics it was sorely lacking in fact.

jballscalls
12-17-2010, 01:59 PM
how can anyone say he's the best interviewer ever? getting good guests and throwing them softballs isn't what i call a great interviewer

Tom
12-17-2010, 02:15 PM
how can anyone say he's the best interviewer ever? getting good guests and throwing them softballs isn't what i call a great interviewer

What's your favorite color?

Let's Roll
12-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Nice to see people remember Mr. King on late night radio, I spent many hours listening myself.
I hope he enjoys a long and happy retirement.

jballscalls
12-17-2010, 05:45 PM
What's your favorite color?

Navy Blue.

you?

PhantomOnTour
12-17-2010, 05:51 PM
It's over for the suspendered one. I heard Arnold was on and declared this Larry King Day in California. :D

Question to Madonna years ago: Were you a dancer that became a singer or a singer that became a dancer?

I'd run into him at a deli in BevHills. He's Jewish, like me.

http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/larry-king-mug-shot.jpg
Make that the 'braced' one.

banacek
12-17-2010, 08:58 PM
So he was arrested in 971? Boy I knew he was old, but not that old.

Tom
12-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Navy Blue.

you?

The Yankees.

Tom
12-17-2010, 11:56 PM
The remains of what is thought to be the world's oldest dog have been uncovered in Switzerland. Archaeologists say the remains are 14,000 years old. Also found was what is believed to be the world's oldest dog collar, with the inscription " I'm Rex. If found please return to Larry King."

menifee
12-18-2010, 12:23 AM
"They broke out of the gate. The 1 broke on top, the 9 ran second, and the 11 came out third. The 11 passed the 9, passed the 1, and they ran in a straight line all around the track. There was no question about it. The 11 won by five lengths. The 1 was three lengths ahead of the 9. I had every winning ticket. I had it to win. I had the exacta. I had the trifecta. I collected nearly eight thousand dollars. Eight thousand dollars!"

King's story reminds me of when when I caught Seabiscuit 12-1 at Suffolk on June 12, 1936. My wife had left me, I had lost everything in the depression. I was living in a Hoovervile. Fortunately, I found a $5 bill on the ground. I went to Suffolk and saw Seabiscuit. What a beautiful looking animal - he was still being trained by good ol Fitzimmons so I know he had potential. He was by Hard Tack! Anyway, I played him in the dime super, the .50 tri and singled him in a pick 4. I made thousands that day. Unfortunately, I blew it trying to hit the Fortune 6 during the rest of the meet. The good old days. By the way, I would had more on him but twinspires.com had crashed during the day and I could not access my funds in my ADW.

Greyfox
12-18-2010, 12:44 AM
:lol: how can anyone say he's the best interviewer ever? getting good guests and throwing them softballs isn't what i call a great interviewer

I can. He's a Jew. Whether he practices that religion or not, that's his choice.
I've seen him interview Arafat et. al. with the greatest of kindness.
He's interviewed Hezbollah representitives with the similar hospitality.
He's put up with crap from Miss (?) California...
He's interviewed 8 Presidents of the USA... and they all want to come back on his show. (Bill Clinton 18 times. George Bush Sr, Carter....Queen of Jordan)

If Larry is not the best interviewer ever,
tell us who is!

LARRY IS IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF # 25 YEARS!

bigmack
12-18-2010, 01:44 AM
I can. He's a Jew. Whether he practices that religion or not, that's his choice.
I've seen him interview Arafat et. al. with the greatest of kindness.
He's interviewed Hezbollah representitives with the similar hospitality.

Sad reality is that Mr. 'King' Zeiger had become a horrible interviewer and rolled through inane questions like a 16 pound bowling bowl sailing in the gutter. He has been around a LONG time and I once listened to him in the wee hours of the evening. At that time he won by default as he was about the one and only.

You're actually giving credit to Larry for being Jewish and having ArrowFat & Hezbies across the table from him? :D

Larry's first and true alliance is to Larry. Larry loves Larry.

sandpit
12-18-2010, 01:54 AM

Maybe CNN used the Churchill Downs announcer selection committee to pick the new host.

Greyfox
12-18-2010, 02:20 AM
You're actually giving credit to Larry for being Jewish and having ArrowFat & Hezbies across the table from him? :D

Larry's first and true alliance is to Larry. Larry loves Larry.

If a person doesn't LOVE HIMSELF,
DOES HE HAVE CAPABILITY OF TRULY LOVING OTHERS???
IF SO, TELL US HOW.

Awaiting your explanation, bigmack

NJ Stinks
12-18-2010, 02:41 AM
IF SO, TELL US HOW.

Awaiting your explanation, bigmack

Before you yell at me, Greyfox, I just want to say you raise a good point here. :ThmbUp:

Greyfox
12-18-2010, 02:49 AM
The only yell I would say is - Thank You. ( And I'm off to bed now.)

bigmack
12-18-2010, 02:59 AM
IF SO, TELL US HOW.
While I've heard "Fortune favors the bold" I've wondered how you decided what words to bold and have yet to find a formoola. Then again, I dig surprises. :ThmbUp:

Let me drink this in. You're unaware of people being so self involved that love is the furthest thing from their grasp?

Robert Goren
12-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Larry was at his best when interviewing show biz people. He did soft ball politicians of all ilks by letting them talk about their personal lives. I don't know if that was a bad thing. There plenty of places that ask politicians hard questions. They just ignore them them and spout the party line. As much as I love seeing a tea partier squirm, I seen enough of them to know that if they think they are going to asked a hard question, they won't come on. Unfortunately more and more liberals are now adopting the same strategy.

Off my soapbox and back to Larry King, last night they showed an interview with Al Pacino. It was classic Larry. I learned that they almost fired him from the Godfather. That he thought Scarface was his best movie. There is no where else that you are going get that on TV today. I will miss him. One more note, I like him on radio better. He had some great stories. I am not sure they were all true, but they were entertaining.

SchagFactorToWin
12-18-2010, 10:04 AM
His overnight radio show was the best- helped me get through the night shift while in college. And I got to speak to Bill Buckley.

Robert Goren
12-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Back in the late 80's I listen to a lot of late night talk radio at work. I have trying to remember one host. Ira was his first name. I think on fridays, he only took callers with jokes. Does anyone else recall him?

Grits
12-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Let me drink this in. You're unaware of people being so self involved that love is the furthest thing from their grasp?

Indeed, the narcissists are alive, and loving of self, along with everything involving and surrounding self.

Another unfortunate individual to avoid.

dartman51
12-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Things got bleaker and bleaker. I became a recluse. By late May, I was down to forty-two dollars. My rent was paid only until the end of the month. I locked myself in my apartment wondering how bad things could possibly get. Pretty soon I wouldn't even be able to afford cigarettes. I remembered a night when I was a young man in New York, alone, cold, and without cigarettes or the money to buy them -- I had smashed open a vending machine to get a pack.

A friend called up and told me to start living like a human being again. He invited me to the track. (I'm assuming, AQUDUCT.) I had nothing better to do, and I figured it would be good therapy to get out and have lunch with a friend and watch the horses come down the stretch.

I'll never forget that day. I put on a Pierre Cardin jeans outfit that had no pockets and drove to Calder Race Course.(a long drive from New York) I can still see the horses warming up before the third race. There was a horse called Lady Forli -- a filly running against males.

Just sayin' :confused: