PDA

View Full Version : Ceding California: VDHanson

JustRalph
12-16-2010, 08:42 PM
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/255320/two-californias-victor-davis-hanson

DECEMBER 15, 2010 12:00 P.M.
Two Californias
Abandoned farms, Third World living conditions, pervasive public assistance -- welcome to the once-thriving Central Valley.

Tom
12-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Go East, young man.

- Jerry Brown, exhaling, 2010

redshift1
12-17-2010, 12:11 AM
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/255320/two-californias-victor-davis-hanson

DECEMBER 15, 2010 12:00 P.M.
Two Californias
Abandoned farms, Third World living conditions, pervasive public assistance -- welcome to the once-thriving Central Valley.

Oh yeah, nothing but sombrero wearing, furniture dumping, federally subsidized indigents blighting the landscape.

That's why half the streets and cities in California had spanish names 200 years before Vic and his self styled Alexis de Tocqueville pilgrimage.

Maybe Vic can take a taxi through South Central LA and lament the spanish heritage usurped by the burgeoning African American population.

As accomplished and persuasive a writer as he is.... his Two California's panders to the bigots and race baiters, two of todays most popular avocations.

JustRalph
12-17-2010, 12:40 AM
I took it more as a guy surveying the places from his youth. Btw, he still owns that farm and from what I read, still runs it as a working farm.

BlueShoe
12-17-2010, 12:45 AM
Oh yeah, nothing but sombrero wearing, furniture dumping, federally subsidized indigents blighting the landscape.
This is an over dramatization, but has much truth. I went through this area in October, and the blight, as the professor mentioned, was awful.

That's why half the streets and cities in California had spanish names 200 years before Vic and his self styled Alexis de Tocqueville pilgrimage.
In 1810 all of the streets had Spanish names. The problem is, there were very few of them. Spanish settlement was mostly restricted to within a few miles of the coast.

Maybe Vic can take a taxi through South Central LA and lament the spanish heritage usurped by the burgeoning African American population.
Got it exactly backwards. Blacks have been driven out of formerly Black neighborhoods by a huge influx of illegal Hispanic aliens. Visit Hollywood Park sometime and check the nearby areas for an example.

As accomplished and persuasive a writer as he is.... his Two California's panders to the bigots and race baiters, two of todays most popular avocations.
Panders to no one, just presents a realistic opinion. I live in California, and have traveled extensively in all parts of the state. The professor may have exaggerated a wee bit for dramatic effect, but his bleak picture of the Central Valley is what is happening over large parts of California, and why the state may be headed for doom.

redshift1
12-17-2010, 01:01 AM
I took it more as a guy surveying the places from his youth. Btw, he still owns that farm and from what I read, still runs it as a working farm.

I wouldn't argue with your assesment but here's a quote from a somewhat famous author:

We tend to post a lot of Victor Davis Hanson stuff on this forum -- maybe many of us agree with him on issues, I dunno -- but I think this first-hand look, from a bicycle, at his part of California is especially perceptive and worth thinking about.

I recently traveled by train past, through, and to environs where no English was spoken, no ethnic or racial diversity existed, and where there was an overwhelming aesthetic of " . . . the junked cars, electric wires crisscrossing between various outbuildings, plastic tarps substituting for replacement shingles, lean-tos cobbled together as auxiliary housing, pit bulls unleashed, and geese, goats, and chickens roaming around the yards."

It confirmed my gut feeling that 12 million illegal immigrants from a specific alien nation and culture, reproducing itself in self-contained pockets in America, living primarily on the public dole, largely without assimilation to American ideals, laws, taxes, language, civil involvement, or traditions, is an invasion. 20 million will be an occupation.

I think Hanson's right in his conclusion that California's attitude toward all this is "indifference." So is Colorado's.

But official indifference can't last forever, especially when two cultures clash -- one of the cultures illegal and alien to American thought and dependent upon the generosity and money from the other culture -- in an era of dwindling resources and rising unemployment.

Or, rather, official political indifference can last, as a policy, damned near forever. But personal anger from citizens and voters will rise at some point not far away. How that anger is expressed -- either toward massive amnesty for tens of millions of interlopers or toward some effort to remove them or to make them abide by the majority's cultural norms -- will determine our near future.

My question is who are the real interlopers the newer americans or the less recent spanish.

redshift1
12-17-2010, 01:06 AM
This is an over dramatization, but has much truth. I went through this area in October, and the blight, as the professor mentioned, was awful.

In 1810 all of the streets had Spanish names. The problem is, there were very few of them. Spanish settlement was mostly restricted to within a few miles of the coast.

Got it exactly backwards. Blacks have been driven out of formerly Black neighborhoods by a huge influx of illegal Hispanic aliens. Visit Hollywood Park sometime and check the nearby areas for an example.

Panders to no one, just presents a realistic opinion. I live in California, and have traveled extensively in all parts of the state. The professor may have exaggerated a wee bit for dramatic effect, but his bleak picture of the Central Valley is what is happening over large parts of California, and why the state may be headed for doom.

We are close I live in Aliso Viejo the only liberal in a hotbed of conservatives.

plainolebill
12-17-2010, 02:01 AM
My question is who are the real interlopers the newer americans or the less recent spanish.

Fence it off and give it back

DJofSD
12-17-2010, 08:38 AM
I blame liberals for the situation.

delayjf
12-17-2010, 10:02 AM
And Californians just put them right back into office - Amazing. With CA version of cap and trade about to take affect its about to get a lot more expensive.