PDA

View Full Version : Bob Feller Dies At Age 92

Overlay
12-16-2010, 12:07 AM
http://www.foxsportsohio.com/12/15/10/Farewell-to-Rapid-Robert-Feller-92/landing.html?blockID=374259&feedID=3724

One time, Lefty Gomez (a noted flake) was batting against Feller in a game where there was fog coming into the stadium off Lake Erie. When Gomez came to the plate, he took a match out of his pocket, lit it, and held it over his head. The umpire asked him if he thought that the match was going to help him see Feller's fastball. Gomez replied, "I don't care about that. I just want to make sure that Feller sees me!"

Another time, in a midseason exhibition game when Feller was only seventeen, he threw two fastball strikes past Leo Durocher, at which point Durocher turned and started to head back to the dugout. The umpire reminded him that he had another strike coming, and Durocher replied, "Never mind. I don't want it."

ElKabong
12-16-2010, 12:52 AM
RIP, he was a monster on the mound, gentleman off it

I went to school with a kid whose dad caught him (Mr Murray), then bought my first car at age 19 from another teammate of theirs (Bob Muncreif). They both were in awe of Feller's ability

JustRalph
12-16-2010, 01:12 AM
My Dad was in the Stands when he threw a no hitter against Detroit. He said it was an awesome event to see.

Here is Bob Feller at Indian's spring training with a buddy of mines kids

http://kdue.net/images/kidsbob1.jpg

My buddy says that Feller sat and talked with them for a half an hour.......

Needless to say, they are from the Cleveland area and big Indians fans

Lots of stories about Feller in the Ohio Valley.......he could be very "opinionated" :lol:

Let's Roll
12-16-2010, 01:18 AM
I heard some interviews of Mr. Feller on the radio, he could indeed be "opinionated". No doubts, he was a gifted athlete.
RIP.

Ocala Mike
12-16-2010, 01:19 AM
Iowa farmboy who could throw a baseball through a brick wall. Funny that he died during the week that they're comparing the Phillies' rotation with Cleveland's of 1954 (Lemon, Wynn, Garcia, and a past his prime Feller). RIP.

Ocala Mike

Robert Fischer
12-16-2010, 06:09 AM
http://www.foxsportsohio.com/12/15/10/Farewell-to-Rapid-Robert-Feller-92/landing.html?blockID=374259&feedID=3724

One time, Lefty Gomez (a noted flake) was batting against Feller in a game where there was fog coming into the stadium off Lake Erie. When Gomez came to the plate, he took a match out of his pocket, lit it, and held it over his head. The umpire asked him if he thought that the match was going to help him see Feller's fastball. Gomez replied, "I don't care about that. I just want to make sure that Feller sees me!"

Another time, in a midseason exhibition game when Feller was only seventeen, he threw two fastball strikes past Leo Durocher, at which point Durocher turned and started to head back to the dugout. The umpire reminded him that he had another strike coming, and Durocher replied, "Never mind. I don't want it."

Then there was another time Gomez was up against 'Rapid Robert'... Feller threw him 3 straight called strikes. Gomez supposedly looked at the Ump and said "that last one sounded a little low".

Overlay
12-16-2010, 06:39 AM
He would probably have won 300 games if it hadn't been for his military service.

Marshall Bennett
12-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Often overlooked was his 12 one-hitters to go with his 3 no-hitters. A much better pitcher than history or stats indicates. Rip tough guy.

cj's dad
12-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Enlisted inthe Navy the day after Pearl Harbor attack and served 4 years.

Played entire career with the Indians, yet he wore 3 different uniform numbers - 9-14-19

pandy
12-16-2010, 04:10 PM
I've seen films of Bob Feller, his curve ball had a monstrous break.

kingfin66
12-16-2010, 07:57 PM
He would probably have won 300 games if it hadn't been for his military service.

Assuming he had been healthy during that span, which is likely given his age at the time, it more likely that he would have won about 350 games. He finished with 266 wins, but had averaged 24 wins during the 3 seasons prior, and two seasons after, his war service. An amazing pitcher and American.

The only knock on his pitching, and it is reflected in his ERA during some seasons, is his high walk totals. The price of being a power pitcher.

JustRalph
12-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Nice piece on Feller

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/12/16/rip-bob-feller/