PDA

View Full Version : Big Brown's babies

The_Knight_Sky
12-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Among the most anticipated foals this season are those by dual classic winner and champion Big Brown, who stands at Three Chimneys Farm.

His first foal, a filly out of Impressive Attire, was born at Swifty Farms in Indiana on January 12 and just today, Three Chimneys marketing director Jen Roytz was kind enough to send on photos of two of his newest babies - a filly out of Gata Bella, located at Buck Pond Farm, and a colt out of Santaria born right at Three Chimneys on Wednesday.

pics of the Brownies' kids at Alicia Wincze's blog: (double-click to enlarge)
http://horseracing.bloginky.com/2010/01/29/big-brown-baby-photos-rolling-in/

BluegrassProf
12-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Excruciating supercuteness. :)

(Hmm...the first two photos loaded fairly speedy-like; the third stopped before it even started. How strange and unexpected...)

I kid, I kid. ;)

JustRalph
12-14-2010, 11:53 PM

(Hmm...the first two photos loaded fairly speedy-like; the third stopped before it even started. How strange and unexpected...)

I kid, I kid. ;)

I get it !

Pell Mell
12-15-2010, 08:29 AM
I had made a prediction here some time ago that the next TC winner would be sired by BB. Aside from Barbaro I consider BB the best that I've seen in many years in addition to being the best bred. :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
12-15-2010, 09:31 AM
His sire had bad feet. He had bad feet. Follow this one to it's logical end and I don't see it happening.

macguy
12-15-2010, 10:16 AM

I kid, I kid. ;)

:D

There's just no good explanation.

Tom
12-15-2010, 02:40 PM
This one will be pulling up in some really big races someday!

OntheRail
12-15-2010, 06:46 PM
This one will be pulling up in some really big races someday!

I know you had a thing for this horse and made a beeline here to put him down after the Belmont. But really GUADALCANAL shined him out of the gate and ripped 3/4 of his shoe off and bent the damn thing to boot... he ran and with each stride was getting nails driven into his hoof and not with the same care and skill a farrier would take. Next time you run down to the corner store or trot thought the mall stick one tack just one into your shoe and see how long you can go before you pull up ;) . In this case Kent stop him which was the right thing to do.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0623/espn_bigbrown_400.jpg

He's had some nice looking offspring so for and wish them well in the future. :jump:

igiveupregistering
12-15-2010, 07:22 PM
I know you had a thing for this horse and made a beeline here to put him down after the Belmont. But really GUADALCANAL shined him out of the gate and ripped 3/4 of his shoe off and bent the damn thing to boot... he ran and with each stride was getting nails driven into his hoof and not with the same care and skill a farrier would take. Next time you run down to the corner store or trot thought the mall stick one tack just one into your shoe and see how long you can go before you pull up ;) . In this case Kent stop him which was the right thing to do.

He's had some nice looking offspring so for and wish them well in the future. :jump:

YOU are confusong TOM with the FACTS :lol:

Donnie
12-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Born in Dec, doesn't that make them 1 yr olds as of Jan 1st?
They will then be real young 2yr olds and super young 3 yr olds...no?

joanied
12-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Born in Dec, doesn't that make them 1 yr olds as of Jan 1st?
They will then be real young 2yr olds and super young 3 yr olds...no?

Those baby photos are from Jan 2010...11 months ago. The foals start coming each Jan.

Donnie
12-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks Joanie...I didn't look at the dates :bang:
Thought maybe that was his early speed coming out already! :ThmbUp:

joanied
12-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks Joanie...I didn't look at the dates :bang:
Thought maybe that was his early speed coming out already! :ThmbUp:

:lol: We can look for that early speed when they hit the track:jump:

The_Knight_Sky
12-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Those baby photos are from Jan 2010...11 months ago. The foals start coming each Jan.

LOL I guess I should apologize.
I didn't even look at the date of the post
when I stumbled upon that.

All I can say is that I was a huge Big Brown fan
and I am looking forward to one of his kids winning The Belmont Stakes to complete some unfinished business. :ThmbUp:

Donnie
12-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Won a small tourney at PRM that Feb and the prize was a trip to the Belmont Stakes. Little did we know then that we would be cheering on a possible Triple Crown winner. It ended up being a sad day, but still a LOT of fun!!!

PaceAdvantage
12-17-2010, 03:27 AM
YOU are confusong TOM with the FACTS :lol:What facts? How does anyone know that a nail was being driven into his hoof with each and every stride? The nail could have easily fallen by the wayside after a stride or two...

FenceBored
01-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Big Brown's firstborn sold at Keeneland yesterday. The short yearling filly out of Impressive Attire was sold by Swifty Farms and brought 9,000. Hope they didn't have to pay the full $65k stud fee he was listed for in 2009.

joanied
01-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Big Brown's firstborn sold at Keeneland yesterday. The short yearling filly out of Impressive Attire was sold by Swifty Farms and brought 9,000. Hope they didn't have to pay the full $65k stud fee he was listed for in 2009.

Could just be the fact this foal's Dam is unraced...nice pedigree, but being unraced may have brought this foals price down somewhat...I'd love to see a photo of this one...is there one?

strapper
01-11-2011, 11:50 AM
The foals are cute and everything but I'm not overly high on Big Brown's chances at stud. They may show some brilliance but I doubt if they will be as sound as most.

classhandicapper
01-11-2011, 12:38 PM
IMO Big Brown is another of those horses that was simultaneously underrated and overrated by different schools of handicappers.

The Sheets/TG guys overrated his Derby because of the ground loss. The outside paths were the best place to be that day.

A lot of speed handicappers underrated his Preakness because IMHO Beyer assigned a depressed speed figure and he had a ton in reserve.

He was trashed by loads of people after his Belmont even though he was having announced issues with his training, missed a few days training, was jerked and put on the bad part of the track during the running, eased, and lost a shoe. When I have a week like I usually don't make it out of bed let alone run 12F at Belmont.

He was a very good horse and it's a shame he wasn't sounder because his peak level in the spring was really excellent for a 3YO.

Market Mover
01-11-2011, 12:45 PM
His sire had bad feet. He had bad feet. Follow this one to it's logical end and I don't see it happening.

Bad feet/quarter crack plus tiring TC campaign plus miler breeding topside plus Kent D psychology plus IEAH affiliation and first time Belmont? It was the perfect storm.

Add the loosened shoe and TC gods said "you are not worthy." And now you can see how he lost the Belmont. Badly.

I thought Smarty had a better chance his year. Elusive Quality topside made me nervous, but what I didnt expect was Stewie's 2nd quarter push...

In these TC near misses, there is always some form of rider error or miscalculation. (i.e. letting the horse go too early or too late..).

That being said, of the active riders in the nation, who would you most trust to pilot a potential TC conqueror?

Edgar Prado has my pick in big route races, and Im saying that not only because of his familiarity with Belmont, but also due to the fact that Im biased after this year's masterful BC ride aboard Shared Account at huge odds. I dont think any other active jock could have ridden with suh patience, although The Shoe may have been able to replicate.

Cardus
01-11-2011, 01:01 PM

I have an impression that Tom pulled himself up a long time ago!

joanied
01-11-2011, 01:42 PM
One thing breeders can do to help BB's offspring is to be sure to send him mares that have excellent feet and a history of such in their bloodlines... just like the right stallion can offset a mare's lesser points, it works the other way too...if I were looking to buy any of BB's babies, that's the first thing I'd find out...the mare side foot history.

To answer Market Mover's question about a TC rider...we haven't heard much from Joe Talamo these days (at least I haven't) but he's a strong rider with a lot of patience...I'd sure like to see him getting some top mounts again.