PDA

View Full Version : cancellations

netbet
12-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Looks like Parx and Beulah are cancelled for Tuesday 12/14.

Phantombridgejumpe
12-14-2010, 11:48 AM
I normally agree with their calls, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but although cold in the area it isn't that windy or to the level I would have made that decision.

pandy
12-14-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't know why Parx didn't race today, there are many days just like today during a typical Northeast winter, if they are going to close on cold days they will have a lot of dark days.

lamboguy
12-14-2010, 02:16 PM
a couple of years ago they had a cancellation at moutaineer. one of the races was a maiden $5000. all those guys that had the z-date got together and entered the next day for a maiden special weight race with a purse at that time of $25,000 and they were able to freeze the better horses out of the race because they had a full field of 10. if you combined the value of every horse in that race the cumulative value would have been less than the #25k purse that they ran for!

mrroyboy
12-14-2010, 05:51 PM
I think alot of those decisions depend on the jockeys. If they feel the track is unsafe the track will usually cancel.
You guys are probably too young to remember winter racing at Bowie race track in Maryland. They were basically the only Northern track running and sometimes they raced in blizzards. I was there for some of it. I guess horses today are too fragile to stand those kind of conditions.