PDA

View Full Version : Blatant stiff or my untrained eye?

Learned Hand35
12-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Portland Meadows Race 5

The :9: CR Fess is 12-1 M/L, but takes steady money fluctuates and finally goes off at 7-2.

The horse shows speed and then placed in a stranglehold so tight it looks like the jockey Joe Crispin is trying to pull the horse up. To me the horse looks full of run.

Is this a ridiculously blatent stiff or is my still newbie in training eye just missing an obvious attempt to pull the horse up because Crispin feels something is wrong?

(No, I did not bet the race.)

jelly
12-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Man,that sure makes racing look bad.

I hope someone in the media or track will interview the owner and Jockey and explain the ride. :confused:

Stillriledup
12-13-2010, 06:16 PM
This happened in October, also with Crispin (i thought it was another jockey, read post 2 in the thread)

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76364&highlight=portland+meadows

Bullet Plane
12-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Well, my opinion:

This is one of two horses to run pretty good in MSW at PM. One of these horses is listed at 3-1 M/L. The horse ridden by Crispen was only a length back in that race. No way, 12-1 M/L is correct. Crispen is also a higher percentage jockey than the M/L favorite.

Secondly, showing speed and backing up is exactly what the horse did in the last race.

I didn't watch the race. So, I can't comment directly on it. But, looking at the pp's...bad M/L (which, I find is standard at many of the small tracks). And a horse in 2nd lifetime race, with no talent or still hasn't figured the game out. Maybe both.

johnhannibalsmith
12-13-2010, 06:37 PM
I'd absolutely need to see the head-on to have an opinion, but the pan shot looks absoultely awful. Both riders that circled acted as though they hadn't a worry that the horse was getting out down the backside or into the turn... :confused:

The chart makes no mention that he was vanned off or even that he was actually pulled up - he beat a couple home despite it.

johnhannibalsmith
12-13-2010, 06:38 PM
I didn't watch the race. So, I can't comment directly on it...

I highly recommend viewing as handicapping principles don't apply much here.

Learned Hand35
12-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Well, my opinion:

This is one of two horses to run pretty good in MSW at PM. One of these horses is listed at 3-1 M/L. The horse ridden by Crispen was only a length back in that race. No way, 12-1 M/L is correct. Crispen is also a higher percentage jockey than the M/L favorite.

Secondly, showing speed and backing up is exactly what the horse did in the last race.

I didn't watch the race. So, I can't comment directly on it. But, looking at the pp's...bad M/L (which, I find is standard at many of the small tracks). And a horse in 2nd lifetime race, with no talent or still hasn't figured the game out. Maybe both.

BP:

Like I said, I am still in training, but to me that horse was in no way backing up, he was being strangled or Crispin was trying to pull him up.

Check out the race. Would really like your thoughts on the visual.

JustRalph
12-13-2010, 06:48 PM
There better be something wrong with that horse.............

Saratoga_Mike
12-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Less than a quarter of a mile into the race, it looks like the jock didn't like how the horse felt. So I'm assuming he got more concerned as the race progessed and pulled him up. Or he should be suspended for stiffing the horse. Let your eyes decide - didn't look any worse than Desourmeaux with Big Brown in the Belmont!

Helles
12-13-2010, 07:45 PM
I actually had bet that horse and I thought the jockey had pulled up due to sensing something amiss.

appistappis
12-13-2010, 08:24 PM
I passed this race also, but when watching it live I said something is wrong with the jockey(i thought broken equipment or goggle trouble) .....I watched the replay three times and there is no apparent trouble, just a jockey pulling with all his might three or four times.......very, very suspicious.

appistappis
12-13-2010, 08:28 PM
the chartist blamed it on lugging out.

The Hawk
12-13-2010, 09:14 PM
The jockey is clearly trying to keep that horse from bearing out.