PDA

View Full Version : A voice of reason

Hank
12-13-2010, 10:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJaOhahDr5Y

ArlJim78
12-13-2010, 11:50 AM
he's in fantasyland if he believes a 2 trillion public investment will lead to productivity growth in the private sector. He had a couple of things right especially about oligarchies and necessary market reforms for finance, the need to rightsize the military, etc. but he's off base when he says social security is nothing to worry about, or especially how government investment helps spur productivity growth in the private sector. we have made huge public investments, much more than we can afford, and where has it gotten us? like the proverbial drunken sailor, after each public investment failure you hear the same people proposing the next really big investment which will be the one that does the trick. trust us, it is going to work this time they say. he comes out against private sector oligarchies but has faith in the biggest oligarchy on earth in Washington.

like it or not austerity is in our future.

boxcar
12-13-2010, 12:08 PM
he's in fantasyland... , after each public investment failure you hear the same people proposing the next really big investment which will be the one that does the trick. trust us, it is going to work this time they say.

They are truly like junkies always looking for the ultimate high. And we know how their lives usually wind up if they're not treated. Sadly, this is the path the spending junkies in DC are leading us down.

None of us may have any idea just how bad things will probably get.

Boxcar

Tom
12-13-2010, 12:20 PM
I've been buying lots of canned soup and sticking in the basement.
Hope I get to keep the basement!

boxcar
12-13-2010, 05:21 PM
I've been buying lots of canned soup and sticking in the basement.
Hope I get to keep the basement!

Stick wheels on it and and tow hitch; and you'll be ready to go at a moment's notice.

Boxcar

mostpost
12-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Stick wheels on it and and tow hitch; and you'll be ready to go at a moment's notice.

Boxcar
Wheels on a basement. A concept I have never considered.

cj's dad
12-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Wheels on a basement. A concept I have never considered.

Similar to screen doors on a submarine !!

skate
12-13-2010, 08:34 PM
how government investment helps spur productivity growth in the private sector. we have made huge public investments, much more than we can afford, and where has it gotten us?

"huge public investments" as you say.

Not made to the public, i say.

you cant expect the tax payers money to go to Banks, GM, AIG etc. which in turn sends that money outside this country and then imply that the same money should/shouldnot improve the economy.

At the same time you cut the USA oil production.:eek:

And, you cant expect business to increase/expand, with a higher tax rate in waiting.

Lower tax rate and send money into the economy...works every time so far.;)

Steve R
12-14-2010, 03:34 PM
[snip]...Lower tax rate and send money into the economy...works every time so far.;)
Except when Clinton raised taxes, the economy boomed and deficits became surpluses and when Bush 43 lowered taxes, the economy stagnated and deficits soared. Other than that you must be right because you think you are. Don't let history get in your way.

johnhannibalsmith
12-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Except when Clinton raised taxes, the economy boomed and deficits became surpluses and when Bush 43 lowered taxes, the economy stagnated and deficits soared. Other than that you must be right because you think you are. Don't let history get in your way.

Brilliant minds seem to see a lot of empty space on timelines throughout history.

Steve R
12-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Brilliant minds seem to see a lot of empty space on timelines throughout history.
I don't know what your comment means, but from Do Marginal Tax Rates Affect GDP? (http://www.suite101.com/content/do-marginal-tax-rates-affect-gdp-a239727)

Relationship between GDP and Tax Rates

The null hypothesis should not be rejected. Research shows that Top marginal Tax rates have no statistically significant relationship with Gross Domestic Product. Marginal Income tax rates do not affect GDP because, in accordance with Hausser’s law, they stay relatively constant to GDP over time.

This conclusion should not be surprising to government economists, as presumably, any change in the tax code that is not accompanied by changes in spending would have to be revenue neutral in order to balance the budget. The tax burden itself has, in aggregate, seemed resistant to change and therefore has resisted an effect on GDP. Changes in the Marginal tax rates do not, therefore, determine the reallocation of revenues, but rather what class is financing the reallocation of revenues.

skate
12-15-2010, 03:42 PM

Stevey..yo

Did you know that we had almost $800 Billion more MORE more in Revenue during UncleGeorge term in office than we had during fishBellieBills term in office?

Teve, you are so far off base, you forgot your "Letter-S" :eek: (forget it)look here . you aint even close. but it gives others a VERY good example as to why we have such a problemo.
Do yourself a favor.
Go and look up GDP and tax revenue for bush/fishbellie.

This has nothing to do with the-skate, l;ook for facts.

did you vote?
why?