PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Playoffs

Pages : [1] 2

Suff
09-30-2003, 01:11 PM
I rarely bet on anything but Racing.. But Today I took a Large Position against the Biggest Choke Pitcher in Baseball.

Mike Mussina. I even took the afternoon off to watch my investment grow.

SAL
09-30-2003, 10:16 PM
Wow, gutsy play considering Mussina had a 20-2 record vs Minnesota....worked out for you though. Yankees lost because of no run support, not Mussina's pitching.

Zaf
09-30-2003, 10:57 PM
Considering also Minnesota was 0 for 13 vs. Yanks recently.
Suff's the Legend !!!

ZAFONIC

Valuist
10-01-2003, 12:14 AM
Sufferin-

Great call. What was the moneyline on that game?

I feel it....Cubbies/Red Sox World Series. Wood had absolutely filthy, nasty electric stuff tonight. Then he hits a 2 run double to boot....who needs a DH? Go Cubs!!!!!

Suff
10-01-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Valuist
Sufferin-

Great call. What was the moneyline on that game?

8-9

2 to make 3.6

Suff
10-01-2003, 06:24 PM
Just got a Call from Mike Nyland. Cumberland Blues on PA. A guest of ours at Saratoga in August.

He asked me to Marry Him! Actually its better than that... He has an extra Ticket to the 7:30 Saturday Night Red Sox PLayoff Home Opener! He's Hooking me up! Me and a few of His Buddies are taking in the Sox on Saturday Night. Can I revise my Favorite Guest list?

ahhhh.. the life of a King....

Bubbles
10-01-2003, 06:48 PM
Enjoy it while u can, Suff. I have no life, and am an avid baseball fan. Makes sense I'd make predictions...

ALDS

Yanks over Twins in 5
A's over Red Sox (sorry) in 4

NLDS

Braves over Cubs in 5
Giants over Marlins in 5

ALCS

Yanks over A's in 6

NLCS

Braves over Giants in 6

WORLD SERIES

BRAVES OVER YANKEES IN 6

MVP: Marcus Giles
Outstanding Pitcher: John Smoltz

Big Bill
10-01-2003, 06:49 PM
Sufferin,

In case you missed it, this was one of Dave Letterman's liners last night:

"Ticket to the Yankees game - $80. A hot dog and a beer - $20. Urinating on the Minnesota Twins dugout – priceless!"

Big Bill

Suff
10-01-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Bubbles
ALDS

Yanks over Twins in 5
A's over Red Sox (sorry) in 4

Your Father put you up to these predictions.

Suff
10-01-2003, 07:13 PM
meant to mention that I already had plans for Saturday. I'm meeting Rocajack and Charlie at Suffolk Satruday Afternoon. DRF is holding its local Handicapping contest for a trip to the nationals.

Us 3 are taking a whack at it. Track by day..Fenway by night.

Bubbles
10-01-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Sufferindowns

Can't imagine a better day. Good luck guys!

PaceAdvantage
10-01-2003, 08:18 PM
Suff, that Toga trip just keeps on paying benefits, don't it??? That's AWESOME. Hope the Sox win one for you!

lsbets
10-01-2003, 08:54 PM
I am a huge Yankee fan, but unfortunalty, the Twins scare me more than any other team in the postseason. I guess I'm still haunted by the Angels last year.

My ideal World Series would be Yankees over Cubs, after the Yanks beat the Sox to get there, but if the Yankees are not there, I would like to see the Red Sox play the Cubs, and have the Cubs win. I'd like to see who gets to play Buckner this year.

sq764
10-01-2003, 11:15 PM
Is it me or does Jon Miller really go overboard when he tries to pronounce Latin names?

Maybe I have been watching baseball too much today..

cj
10-02-2003, 12:59 PM
The curse of the Bambino continues...losing on a bunt, ouch!

BTW, I'm very happy the Yankees lost. But to call Mussina a choker is a bit much. This guy pitched some outstanding playoff games for the O's in the late 90s against Cleveland, including 10 shutout innings in a game the Orioles eventually lost with the real choker Armando Benitez on the hill. Snakebit, yes, choker, no way.

Suff
10-02-2003, 04:52 PM
its 5-0 nothing 2nd inning. Mussina a choke.. Michael Jordan's a choke. even larry bird. They all suck. I hate everyone. The Pain is deep. I'm looking for trouble. Don't contradict me.:mad:

Suff
10-02-2003, 04:55 PM
5 runs on 2 hits..... wtf. really. Gotta Go.. My Rally chair is in the Basement. If I sit there... with a Roll of Toilet paper on my head..and my feet in a bowl of Jello....while I read the army code of conduct.. The sox always come back.

Bubbles
10-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Feet in a bowl of Jello? This brings to mind a really horrible image of Bill Cosby, which I won't even go into. Anyway, if your BoSox want ANY chance at all, Wakefield needs to win tonight. Don't think it'll happen against Hudson, but good luck.

CumberlandBluesHSH
10-02-2003, 07:36 PM
not to worry Suff....last time we were down 2-0 in the first round it worked out okay. Think the A's could hire Hargrove for the rest of the week? He is lookin' for work and all.

Suff
10-02-2003, 07:53 PM
I'm very worried... super worried..and really Po'd. Son of a .....! Down 2-0. Even if we win it. Why all the pain. Had the split. 1 out in the 9th up 4-3. Walk the #8 Hitter...Hit the #9?

Manny... It's Man time! Where the hell are you? He wins Game 3 and 4 with his Bat or he's gone by christmas. Manny.. your only cute when you produce. When you do nothing...Your just another idiot in the way. Ok lil one.

WINMANWIN
10-02-2003, 08:17 PM
Keep the faith Sox fans, Tuff loss wednesday nite. The bullpen was the achilles heel the whole year, and it ruined them again
wed nite. I dont like the best of 5 matchup, I feel baseball
should make it best of 7 in the 1st round. 5 games is not a true test in my opinion, Boston had 2 bad games, and 1 more loss they're OUT ! You play 162 games a year, and have your season determined in a shortened playoff series:confused: It's not right, Big deal the WORLD SERIES goes another 2 days :eek: Just cant understand why this silly best of 5 series is still Enacted :confused:

Bubbles
10-02-2003, 09:48 PM
WMW...

Because some operate under the infamous philosophy of...

"If it makes sense, do the opposite."

;)

sq764
10-02-2003, 10:05 PM
As a Sox fan, I yearned to see them beat the Yanks in the ALCS.. Yet they may both lose in the first round.

(How come as disappointing as it is to see the Sox possibly bow out in the 1st round, it's eased by the fact that the Yanks may do the same :-))

SAL
10-02-2003, 10:26 PM
Goes to show that good pitching beats good hitting. Oakland's going with a 3 man rotation, with Lilly starting Saturday. After that it's Hudson and Zito again. It'll be an uphill battle for sure.

lsbets
10-02-2003, 10:48 PM
Radke's out - the Yanks need to get this run home. Soriano better produce here. If not we might trade him to Boston.

lsbets
10-02-2003, 10:52 PM
My son (17 months old) and wife are sleeping, so I can only do this here:

YES, YES, YES, YES - YOU ARE THE MAN SORIANO, YOU ARE THE MAN WITH THE STUPID SOCKS PULLED UP TOO HIGH - YES, YES, YES

CumberlandBluesHSH
10-03-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by SAL
Goes to show that good pitching beats good hitting. Oakland's going with a 3 man rotation, with Lilly starting Saturday. After that it's Hudson and Zito again. It'll be an uphill battle for sure.

That 3-man rotation thing is what still gives me hope. Over the past 5 years, playoff starters on 3 days rest are 3-16 with a 6.75 ERA. If the Sox can force a Game 4, I like our chances.....but I must confess to having little faith in Derek Lowe tomorrow night - we're gonna need to beat Lilly like a drum.

Valuist
10-03-2003, 11:35 AM
I sense a baseball software handicapping thread is coming soon.....

Zaf
10-03-2003, 09:49 PM
meant to mention that I already had plans for Saturday. I'm meeting Rocajack and Charlie at Suffolk Satruday Afternoon. DRF is holding its local Handicapping contest for a trip to the nationals.

GOOD LUCK to SUFF, ROCAJACK & CHARLIE in the contest tomorrow. Knock em dead guys !!! Let us know how it goes.

ZAFONIC

Zaf
10-03-2003, 09:52 PM
And Suff , have a Hot Dog and a Beer for me at the Ball Game. Enjoy !!!

ZAFONIC

Storm Cadet
10-03-2003, 10:15 PM
Damn...is this place ALL YANKEE HATERS???????

SAL
10-03-2003, 10:17 PM
The Yankees have enough World Series titles. I'm a Steinbrenner hater myself.....

WINMANWIN
10-03-2003, 11:53 PM
How bout them CUBS..........Wood and Prior are 2 quality young Righties that the Cubbies should sign, and LOCK-UP for years.

Tom
10-04-2003, 11:14 AM
The Cubs and Sox make it to the series?
Who will choke first?
I fear universal instability could occurr!

(OK,, ok, just kidding.....call off the hit man you guys!)
;)

PaceAdvantage
10-05-2003, 12:52 PM
And Tom, add this to the fact that a NY bred won the Derby this year!!!!! Can you say, 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse???

Cubs
Red Sox
Funny Cide
??????

:eek:

Tom
10-05-2003, 05:07 PM
A low blow indeed! :D
Now I have to go lay down for a while. :o

SAL
10-05-2003, 05:36 PM
It's almost like 2001 again, when the A's were up 2-0 on the Yankees, only to lose the final 3 games. The Sox have their best pitcher going, it should be a great game.

cj
10-05-2003, 05:37 PM
Decisive game, Pedro on the hill, what more could a Sox fan ask? Well, for it to be in Fenway I guess, but not much else.

Suff
10-05-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
And Tom, add this to the fact that a NY bred won the Derby this ye

Hey PA.. Mike.. Fakey Fan... whomever...Why you Dis'n my Sox?

Did you see our Game Today? here's the issue facing Baseball as of this minute..

We smashed most every Batting Record Held by the Yankess this year. I don't care what Team you wanna talk about..

Ruth , Gehrig, Mantle, et al... We busted them down.. Team average, slugging %, Homeruns.. on and on... Most guys over 300, Most people ever to hit 25 HR's in one lineup... 3 Million attendance.. we DOMINATE stadiums when we travel... and you know we Took over Yankee Stadium the last time down there when we slapped you guys around.... I heard Yankess SUCK chants all the way back here... Red Sox SUCK chants are BEAT DOWN when attempted at Fenway.. By Yankee Fans. And can I tell you and everyone that wants the TRUTH about the Yankee fans that come to Fenway when the Yanks play here?

They are'nt Yankee fans at all.. Most have them could'nt find the Bronx with a Fist of Fiftys and a Map. And even if they could..they aint gut the Sackage to go to the Bronx...

They're rich Kids from Long island and Upstate that Mommmy and Daddy send off to get educated in Boston... They come up here to College.. Thats it. They've probably seen 3 yankee games thier whole life...they're "Fake" ees. Thats where we Gave you that name...

We have a Joke up here... "Do you know how to get a Yankee Fan to pee his pants at Fenway?

Say "Boo"

Anyway.. Baseball knows that we Just played the 4 worst games of our year and we still are 2-2. We're coming to Yankee Stadium next week and we are coming in HOT! We are gonna go UGLY on Youse guyz ......Capeesh?

But Back to the Red Sox..

You know we Hosted and won the very first world series in the History of the Game on this Continent? Did you know we have won 5 of them? Did you know that places us 5th all time for world series won by a franchise?

I could go on and on about our contributions to the greatest game on earth. But why Bother,, Because I am sure you'll agree that if were'nt for the Sox,,, They'd be no Yanks. Boston's The cradle of this game baby...We invented it.

I could go on and on about Teddy Ballgame.. the best,, Left baseball twice to FIGHT in two wars...or he would own every Offensive record on the books. But thats the Boston way Baby. When War comes-a-calling,,,, we step up. We're warriors.

We're coming down to NY this week. War's a Calling.

Tom
10-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Did you have the super in the last at Belmont today?????:cool:
Yikes!

SAL
10-05-2003, 06:49 PM
Damn Suff, don't forget you guys still have a game to play in Oakland.......

Pace Cap'n
10-05-2003, 08:09 PM
Man, if only you could have attended the first two games it would have been over in three.

lsbets
10-05-2003, 08:18 PM
Its great to be a Yankee fan, now I just hope the Red Sox beat Oakland so I can savor our victory over the Sox. I gotta give the Red Sox fans credit - its been almost 100 years, but they still hope. However, there is nothing more gratifying than watching the Yanks crush the Sox and burst that bubble of hope.

Oh yeah, Suff - when I lived in NJ I used to go to about 20 Yankees games a year and sit in the bleachers. I would park on the street instead of the garages, or would take the subway in with my grandfather. It takes real dedication to a team to do that in the Bronx.

Valuist
10-05-2003, 10:06 PM
What a bull$hit call. Lofton clearly makes the catch which the ump misses, then Sheffield passes Giles on the bases and they don't call him out. I hope Dusty plays it under protest.

After 33 years of being a Cub fan, I can almost taste the World Series.

Prior and Wood=newer version of Johnson and Schilling

Dave Schwartz
10-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Valuist,

You can't protest a judgmenet call.

Dave Schwartz

boxcar
10-05-2003, 10:28 PM
Valuist:

Have no fear, for The Fish will face the Cubbies in the Windy City the day after tomorrow. That series could be the best of all the playoff games, imo. (As I write this the Cubs are only 5 outs away from winning.)

Boxcar

Valuist
10-05-2003, 10:38 PM
Dave-

You can't protest a judgement call but you can protest a ruling. Not calling Sheffield is out is what I was referring to. I realize we can't protest the Lofton (non?) catch.

Suff
10-05-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by SAL
Damn Suff, don't forget you guys still have a game to play in Oakland.......

Pedro ! nuff said

Sal... its over the top here. Of course on all 6 Local Channels its Sox as the lead story.. The middle story and the end story...but even when they move to the weather? The lead weather story is not Boston's weather... But Oaklands for 1:00 PM tommorrow!

Great living in a baseball town... we're all on the same page. Patriots win Today?

boxcar
10-05-2003, 10:55 PM
The Cubs are a goin' Fishin'!

Boxcar

Dave Schwartz
10-05-2003, 11:18 PM
Valuist,

If he was not called out because he did not pass another runner (in the umpire's judgement). That is not a "ruling."

Dave

PaceAdvantage
10-06-2003, 01:27 PM
Wow Suff, you indeed are hittin' below the belt....OUCH

I didn't think I was dissin the Sox, but if I was, well then GOOD!! LOL

You still have to get by Oakland tonight...and IF you do, we'll be waiting for you....

Suff
10-06-2003, 01:59 PM
You don't think me an Cumberland Bluse would go to two games at Fenway and not come back without a Classic story did you.

Sunday him and I get to the Park a little early. I say "Cumby, talk a walk over here, down here, take a right , take a left...and next thing you know theres me and Cumberland Blues standing in the OAKLAND A's executive Loge box. Who'd a Figured...:)

Anyway.. Billy Beane the Oakland GM is leaning on the wall and The VP of Baseball operations is sitting in front me.

So... seeing as my time might be limited...I went in for the Kill.

I said to Beane

"You guys had us last night and you shoulda put us away"

And Beane's Game!... he comes right back at me.

He says "Thats ok.. where going to take you out Today"

(meanwhile, Beane's all"California'ed up"... you know the type... Tan, hair slicked back.. Pat Riley Type.)

I figure I have the edge on him because I can handle his type sitting down.

So i say... "Nope" "You had us last night and you missed. We're taking you out tonight and your all done"

But Beane.. he thinks he's got even more game...but he goofs and went for throat too soon. This is what he says to me...

"We're just waiting for the next Bill Buckner"!!

Billy Beane says that to me! He thinks he knocked me out right? He figures if he goes Buckner on me...I'm dead Right?

So I scare him with my next sentence.. I could see it.. I said it and he lost his Tan. He threw his best shot...and he was exposed and I buried him. This is what I said.

"Your 0-7 in opportunities to clinch an ALCS bid." "You need to stop waiting for the next Bill Buckner.. You ARE the next Bill Buckner." !! We're taking you out!"

He was stunned. I drilled him right between the eyes. I could see his lips Tightening and his brain cloud as he struggled for a sentence.. so I moved in and Dropped him.

From our spot we could see the entire park.. It was 1 /2 hour before the game and the place was JAMMED and LOUD. so i said.

"thanks for coming to Fenway Park... ( I pointed to the crowd) We could put a 150 thousand in here tonigt if we had the seats."

This was a "management blow". when the players put you in the playoffs.. management supposed to fill the House.
(oaKland playoffs don't sell out at His house).

He just shook his head up and down in agreement with me. he surrenderred. Suff Dropped Billy Beane at Fenway. Dropped him in his tracks.

I left him where I found him.

On our way out of that Box. We stopped for a Minute and Talked with Larry Luchino.. GM and Part owner of the RED SOX. I think he Saw SUFF's work on BEANE and wanted to meet me. I told Larry.. I said.. " I just worked Beane Over.".. I told Larry,,"We take them out today they're all done". He knocked wood..and we taked sox for 2 mins. As we turned to Leave.. Security came up and threw us out. So we went and sat in our seats 30 rows back from Home plate to the left of the screen. No Bid deal. as I said to Cumby at the time.

"My work here is Complete"

True story.. CB will be in to back it up.

PaceAdvantage
10-06-2003, 03:02 PM
Holy holy holy moly.....

If I hadn't met him in person, I wouldn't believe one iota of this story....but.....all who have met suff know this is just par for the course.....

WINMANWIN
10-06-2003, 03:13 PM
Nice story Suff. To those of you who dont know Billy Beane, He was in the Mets farm system for years, and I believe made a spalsh with the Mets, but never really cut it in the Majors. He's done a Good Job with Oakalnd over the years with limited money to keep Free Agents. After meeting Suff, Billy probably said this Guy is 1 of a Kind, I surrender:eek: Way to tell'em Suff, Billy, was
out of line with the Buckner comments, and I'm sure he Regreted
Spurning you on.;)

Valuist
10-06-2003, 03:57 PM
Dave-

If the umpire was so out of position that he couldn't tell if Sheffield had passed Giles, which the replays clearly show he did, the umpire should be reprimanded by the league. To me this ISNT a judgement call, like a ball or a strike. Either you pass someone or you don't; its not subject to interpretation. Fortunately, the right team won but Wood was unjustly charged a run given up.

CumberlandBluesHSH
10-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Going to the track with Suff is fun......goin' to a ballgame w/ Suff is even better. We're hangin' out in a bar before the game with some of my buddies and Suff sez...let's head over, I wanna heckle some A's before the game starts. 15 minutes later the King is working Beane over next to the A's dugout....just freakin' classic.

Dave Schwartz
10-06-2003, 04:15 PM
Valuist,

You are right... it was a bad call. No, make that horrible call. (As was the play at home with the potential interference call.)

My point was that it is not protestable because they are not disagreeing on a ruling.

Dave

Suff
10-06-2003, 11:25 PM
Begin the Shock and Awe campaign.

SAL
10-06-2003, 11:27 PM
I want a Cubs/Sox series. Time to end the drought!!

kenwoodallpromos
10-06-2003, 11:48 PM
The Red Sox are not bad for a football team! When they are not blocking the runnmers they are smashing helmets without helmets!

WINMANWIN
10-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Let's get ready to RUMBLE 15 ROUNDS :D
Let the games begin. Yanks and Sox battling tooth and nail.
Should be a dandy. Cubs and Marlins should also be fun. As
I couldn't take another series with them Tomohak chops, and Brave baseball. 12 yrs OF THAT CHOP crap gets too me :eek:

pmd62ndst
10-07-2003, 12:52 AM
What a horrible weekend for an Oakland fan. There is no joy on my block of 62nd St.

I had to watch the Raiders collapse in Chicago in impressive fashion and now I have to deal with ANOTHER A's Game 5 Loss.

For sale:

- The rest of my season tickets to the Raiders.

- A's ALCS Commemmorative tickets for games 3, 4 and 5.

- A shell of an A's hat that I just burnt just minutes ago.

Good Luck Suff and all the rest of the Sox fans out there but I won't be watching for the fourth...straight...year...

I still have the Warriors to look forward to. At least, I don't expect them to win.

PMD

Dave Schwartz
10-07-2003, 01:37 AM
Any word on Damon yet?

CumberlandBluesHSH
10-07-2003, 09:51 AM
Damon's gonna be okay - bad concussion, he didn't fly back with the team but will be on a plane to NYC later today. Dunno if he'll be able to go on Wednesday - but should be ready for Game 2.

I'm not sure which was scarier - the collision, or the bottom of the 9th.

Buy stock in Tums.

Dave Schwartz
10-07-2003, 11:17 AM
Cumberland,

After watching that reply for about the 5th time, I found I just couldn't watch it again. I could just about hear their heads smacking together.

No joke... people have died from less.

Dave

lsbets
10-07-2003, 10:56 PM
For all you Red Sox fans:

I wish I could take credit for this one, but Dan Patrick said it on the radio a few months ago. Here it is, or at least the spirit of it:

I don't know if you can call Yankees vs. Red Sox a rivalry, because a rivalry implies that both teams win. Here the Yankees always win. Its kind of like Roadrunner vs. Wile E. Coyote. I don't think the Roadrunner would have called that a rivalry. I mean come on, would you call dog vs. fire hydrant a rivalry?

I can't wait till tomorrow - Go Yanks!

MarylandPaul@HSH
10-08-2003, 01:02 AM
I always wanted to see that coyote win just once.....

MP

Suff
10-08-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by lsbets
For all you Red Sox fans:

Wrong analogy.. Because the Yankees don't beat the red sox. They win the division and play for the pennant. And before wild card it was an Impossibilty that the Yanks would have to beat the SOX to get into the Playoffs. So you and Dan Patrick can suck my wrist. Go make up some other stuff. This series will be like a cartoon alright.. Magilla Gorilla. We'ze gonna maul you.

Valuist
10-08-2003, 09:23 AM
I don't understand all the sympathy for the Red Sox fans. At least you have gotten to go to the World Series occasionally. In my lifetime, they've been there 3 times. But in my life, NEITHER Chicago team has been there. We're the real sufferers in the baseball world.

lsbets
10-08-2003, 09:37 AM
Suff - re: the Yanks don't beat the Sox:

Bucky Dent

Suff
10-08-2003, 11:40 AM
Yup.. Buck Dent. Tough Beat.. Where do you get wiley Coyote out of that? You don't. It was one game. we're goin monster on NY. Tonight.

lsbets
10-08-2003, 11:48 AM
Suff,

You are right that the rivalry was not determined by head to head, it was determined by 26 World Series vs. 0 since the Bambino trade.

I can't wait till tonight.

Suff
10-08-2003, 11:54 AM
yea me too. Think about this. One of the reasons we have 0 since 1918 is that we Play in the AL east. And 30 times including the Yankees 26 Championships, we've played 2nd fiddle to the best team in Baseball.

Whats the Cub's excuse?

lsbets
10-08-2003, 11:58 AM
no excuse as far as i can see

and i can tell you - i love the back and forth between yankees and red sox fans - nothing better to argue about

saturday should be awesome Roger vs. Pedro in Fenway

Suff
10-08-2003, 12:48 PM
...and IF you do, we'll be waiting for you....

Peek-a-Boo.

PaceAdvantage
10-08-2003, 06:51 PM
Dude, you'd better hope the Sox win, cause you're setting yourself up for a HUGE letdown otherwise.....

Suff
10-08-2003, 07:58 PM
No One Calls me Dude! Dude.

Let down...? Crack in your armor? Your prepared to lose. I'm not.

PaceAdvantage
10-09-2003, 10:43 AM
Losing game 1 is just our way of setting you guys up for an even bigger fall...getting your hopes up like we always let you do (like when you thought you were going to win the division this year)

What you are reading from my end is not a "prepared to lose" mentality, but a zen-like calmness that comes from years and years of total domination. It's the emotional ease that comes from absolutely KNOWING what the outcome will be even before the contest begins.

Red Sox fans know nothing about this state of being. They are ravenous amateurs at this level of play, snapping and growling at any little piece of meat thrown their way like sharks being baited with chum. The lust is incredible, really, but not unexpected, given your past history. Enjoy it while it lasts, because it is always fleeting.....

Tennessee
10-09-2003, 11:25 AM
The Yankees are too old, too slow and bad defensively...

Sox in 6.

Valuist
10-09-2003, 01:30 PM
One step closer to Cubs/Red Sox.

sq764
10-09-2003, 01:51 PM
The Yankees have a weak offense, period..

The only reason they got 2 runs was because BoSox pitchers threw 12 balls in 13 pitches.. Posada had a ball sitting on a tee for him to stroke.

Other than that, they did nothing.

Soriano looked like a clown up there, Jeter is still broken, Bernie Williams is what, 170 years old? Giambi had 40 homers and 740 strikeouts this year, and the Japanese phenom is barely an average MLB player..

PaceAdvantage
10-10-2003, 03:26 AM
Heheheheheh.....

How'd you like that spanking??

Funny how most of the guys you just dissed produced big time tonight....Williams, Matsui and Posada....

lsbets
10-10-2003, 08:30 AM
If the Yanks are too old, slow, etc.... What does that say for every other team in the AL that had a worse record than the Yankees this year? Are they older, slower, etc........?

Or just not as good?

Suff
10-10-2003, 04:46 PM
Pedro's win % at Fenway Park. 88%.

Enjoy your lone ray of hope. Phase II of the shock and awe campaign starts tommorrow.

sq764
10-10-2003, 04:59 PM
Pace, a spanking?? Did we watch the same game?

The Sox played like crap and they had 2 hard hit balls, the one by Nick Johnson and the double by Posada..

Sox missed a big chance in the first 2 innings, and still only lost 6-2.

Williams had a good game, but Matzui?? He was 1 for 3 with a weak single and 4 left on base.

Honestly, the difference in the game to me was not having Johnnie Damon in there. Kapler came up in so many big spots and he absolutely sucks..

(Sometimes I think you Yankee fans are in your own little dream world)

Suff
10-10-2003, 06:06 PM
we OUT HIT them 13-6. We're on them like a 15-1 shot. Load UP Baby! All in! Its R- B -I and R- O- I time

PaceAdvantage
10-10-2003, 07:36 PM
Like lemmings to the cliff.....

Red Sox fans....I sometimes feel sad for you guys....

"and still only lost 6-2".....ONLY??? LOL

Maybe we can chalk Thursday night's loss to the "curse", right?? After all, the collision that KOd Damon was a freak accident, and can only be attributed to Babe Ruth's ghost, right??? LOL....you guys are a funny lot....

Suff, I hope you didn't roll all your horse racing profits onto the back of the 'Sox....

sq764
10-10-2003, 08:40 PM
Pace, I don't think you hear mention of the 'curse' by any Sox fans.. Its only the Yankee fans..

Damon getting hurt was a freak accident, period. My point was that he is a big part of their offense. The equivalent of the Yanks losing Soriano (Well, back when he didn't strike out 3 times a game)

PaceAdvantage
10-10-2003, 10:21 PM
Well, I just don't understand the arrogance displayed by you and Suff in this thread....where do Red Sox fans get off talking this trash??? Shock and Awe???

Puuuuullllllleeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Let me set you guys straight here with a little recent history:

1) The YANKEES, not the red sox, owned the BEST record in BASEBALL this year (tied with Atlanta)

2) The YANKEES, not the red sox, won the AL EAST....and if this were 1994, the red sox wouldn't have even MADE the playoffs

3) The YANKEES beat the red sox more times in 2003 than the red sox beat the YANKEES.

Yet, the red sox fans are acting as if they are owed something...that they've earned something???? The arrogance is amazing....here we are tied 1-1 in the series, and Suff is talking trash as if it's over.....

Now, who EXACTLY is living in their own little dream world, I ask YOU sq764??

(BTW, this is all good natured fun...at least this is how *I* am taking it....you all should too...)

sq764
10-10-2003, 10:41 PM
OK, let's see..

1) If I recall, having the best record did Atlanta quite a lot of good.. Maybe they can jump into this thread, they have time..

2) It's currently 2003

3) 10-9, so what? Houston Texans are 1-0 against the Dolphins this year.. What does that mean?

Hey, I can't speak for Suff (I can only agree with him :-)

You have to understand, The Sox are my ace in the hole.. If the Phillies were going into the World Series this year against the Sox, I would hate Boston..

WINMANWIN
10-10-2003, 11:24 PM
Lets put the cards on the table, and sum up what the nation
thinks in my mind. Most of the time, The public roots for the under dogs. The yankees, have WON for years and years, On and Off,
and other cities, haven't even made the playoffs in decades.
To be honest, As a New Yorker, and Rooting for N.Y. teams over the years, I as a fan have tasted VICTORY, aka CHAMPIONSHIP
and enjoyed the feeling. Others cant say that, So I have compassion for SOX and Cub fans wholeheartedly, and can see why others from different states, ARE Rooting against the Hated Yankees. To be Honest, Cub and Sox fans have Suffered for nearly an Entire century, and the Fans should be commended for backing them for yrs and yrs. Let the better team Win this year, and Enjoy the Games. Whatever happens, There's always next year :)

PaceAdvantage
10-11-2003, 01:47 AM
I would have thought years and years of losing to the Yankees would have made Red Sox fans more humble....

==PA

Suff
10-11-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by WINMANWIN
To be honest, As a New Yorker, and Rooting for N.Y. teams over the years, I as a fan have tasted VICTORY, aka CHAMPIONSHIP
and enjoyed the feeling. Others cant say that, So I have compassion for SOX and Cub fans wholeheartedly, year :)

You Have ? when ? 86 Mets?,,, And your saying as a "New Yorker"? Whats that mean? NY'rs know more about winning?

Your forgetting something... ever heard of a Little Team callled the Celtics? Yea... they were a Dynasty of some sort.. I don't know... I heard they won a few Championships. They make the Yankee's 26 Titles look like a good night at the Local Bowling allley.

Believe me Butchy.. Boston knows winning like a cloud knows white.

And we're going to Beat the Yankees.. and PA... I'm sorry. Aint know "kidding" around when I say that.

I'm so sick of the 26 Championship Talk. So what. During WW I and WW II, while Boston Guys were conquering a handful of nations ... The yanks won a few.

During the depression when again... No one was eating.. the yanks Bought a Few more....

Your Gigs up. Pedro at Fenway in 6 hours. Your all done. Joke on that.

sq764
10-11-2003, 08:25 AM
Pace, the Giants have become quite a losing bunch of late but everytime they come here to Philadelphia there is arrogance galore.. And what do they have to be arrogant about?

WINMANWIN
10-11-2003, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sufferindowns
[B]You Have ? when ? 86 Mets?,,, And your saying as a "New Yorker"? Whats that mean? NY'rs know more about winning?

What I was implying was, As for baseball, Too root for 1's team, there Entire Life and be constantly disappointed year after year,
I have compassion for SOX AND CUB fans, Knowing that they have never WON the series, in DECADES. Personally, I as a
Baseball Fan can comprehend the mental ANGUISH Cubs and Sox fans have endured.
;) I watched the ABC Nightline edition last nite. They had Ben Afleck on, He is a Die hard SOX fan, and Joe MONTEONE is an avid Cubs fan. They were discussing the curse and the euphoria If either team Won the big dance. Suff, I dont know Who's A bigger SOX fan, you or Ben Afleck ???:confused: SUFF I have 2 words for yea COWBOY UP :D

Tom
10-11-2003, 09:45 AM
Hey, give credit where it is due. Boston won 5 of the first 15 World Series.
Then they traded the Babe and right after that, men started playing the game......hehehe:)
The ghost of the Bambino flys tonight..........
:eek: :eek: :p :eek: :eek:

Suff
10-11-2003, 10:11 AM
Yankees SUCK!

PaceAdvantage
10-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Yup, they do suck....they suck at losing....especially the really important games.....

PaceAdvantage
10-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Oh how very, very satisfying will it be to see Roger Clemens put it to the sox at Fenway Park??? Man this will be sweet!! A typical Red Sox moment in the making.....

Storm Cadet
10-11-2003, 11:27 AM
REMEMBER

1918 1918

sq764
10-11-2003, 11:27 AM
Well, regardless of who sucks.. Could anyone ask for a better setup than Yankees/Sox at Fenway with Clemens versus Pedro??

Are the FOX people drooling right now?

Watch it end up 13-12..

Suff
10-11-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Storm Cadet
REMEMBER

1918 1918

Medic! I've been hit!

lsbets
10-11-2003, 01:28 PM
Its tough to be a Yankee fan. Most fans would be happy to get to the series, but we are crushed if we don't win it. Suff, you have it easier as a Sox fan. When you have nothing to expect, you can never be disappointed.

sq764
10-11-2003, 01:29 PM
That sounds like a Jet fan to me :-)

lsbets
10-11-2003, 01:40 PM
I've been a Jets fan my whole life too, so yes, it is easy. Just hope they can make it exciting and a 1 and out in the playoffs is great. But, the Jets won a superbowl a lot more recently thatn the Sox won a world series.

PaceAdvantage
10-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Jet fan here as well...and Islander fan....

Gonna enjoy the game now (I'm at work, but luckily, I will get to see the game).

Remember, winning is EVERYTHING! ;)

Larry Hamilton
10-11-2003, 04:31 PM
Does anyone know who the yanks are playing today? Thanks.

sq764
10-11-2003, 04:39 PM
4 batters, we know the shutout's gone already :-)

PaceAdvantage
10-11-2003, 05:44 PM
Come on Manny, that pitch wasn't EVEN CLOSE!! Give me a break....

BTW, how are the sox fans feeling know? Feeling good? Pedro, you are a CLASS ACT.....NOT!

sq764
10-11-2003, 05:55 PM
A few observations..

1) Even though I am a Sox fan, between this game and the clincher against the A's, Ramirez is an ass..

2) Pedro instiagated this, but so did Karim Garcia.. You get hit you get hit, if he wanted to hit him in the head, he would have.. And then he took out Walker at 2nd base for no reason. (I'd hit him again)

3) What in the hell was Don Zimmer thinking? He goes after Pedro and swings at him and gets thrown down.. Then everyone feels bad for him?

4) I wish someone would throw a pitch in the booth and hit Tim McCarver.. He is the single biggest ass I have ever heard speak an English word..

WINMANWIN
10-11-2003, 06:08 PM
DING, DING :D I thought we were gonna see multiple rumbles. Fortunately clearer heads prevailed. I had a good laugh with Zimmer, The X SOX Mgr, who has a plate in his head, and ravaged Knees:eek: Btw, I thought the pitch Hit the Bat, and the Yanks got A break there. Sox fans Calling ROGER, ROGER, thru
the Game is also funny. Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez in the best Box seats the Red Sox have to offer, with a televison monitor
in it. It's good to be BEN....:cool:

PaceAdvantage
10-11-2003, 07:11 PM
3 more outs baby....

Valuist
10-11-2003, 07:25 PM
As a Cub fan who's waiting to see our future opponent, I don't think the Red Sox handled the situation well at all. Pedro should've been thrown out of the game after he came onto the field; secondly, that pitch to Ramirez wasn't even CLOSE! Manny and Pedro are babies; Pedro risked getting tossed out of the game by doing what he did to Zimmer. If he was a lesser name, he'd been kicked out. So much for the "Good vs Evil".

The AL needs to lose the DH so headhunters like Pedro have to stand at the plate themselves. I want to see him go headhunting against the Cubs, knowing full well Kerry Wood could fire a 98 MPH fastball at his temples.

PaceAdvantage
10-11-2003, 07:30 PM
Thats GOTTA sting!

2-1

Dave Schwartz
10-11-2003, 07:34 PM
Valuist,

While I was not crazy about Pedro's other actions, I thought he handled Zimmer pretty well. 72 years old or not, Zimmer did the charging. To Pedro's credit, he did not strike out at him. He merely threw him down.

Now, I am not saying that Pedro's intentional bean ball was okay... It was wrong. I would not have had a problem if he was tossed right then.

And I agree with you about the pitch to Manny. I don't think it was that close.

Ah, baseball. Don't you love it?

Dave

WINMANWIN
10-11-2003, 07:40 PM
Zimmer was out of line, and Pedro had no recourse.I'm surprised Zimmer was not Ejected.Umps Probably figured who cares, He's the Bench coach:rolleyes: Suff, If your team Doesn't
COWBOY UP in the next 2 GAMES, Its Sunset Time.

Valuist
10-11-2003, 07:44 PM
Zimmer was in the wrong but I didn't like Pedro's mouthing off and gesturing. It was obvious that pitch to Garcia was a beanball. He was yelling at Garcia and pointing to Posada while he should've just shut his mouth. At least PRETEND the pitch got away....but why should he? He doesn't have to come to bat. Let Nomar or Manny get knocked down...no skin off Pedro's back (pun intended).

Storm Cadet
10-11-2003, 07:56 PM
2 Games to go baby!!!!!! [SIZE=4][FONT=century gothic]

Storm Cadet
10-11-2003, 07:59 PM
[B]What was that Bosox groundskeeper thinking of getting into it with the visiting team...the guy must have a death wish...[COLOR=red][SIZE=4]

and we thought that New Yorkers are crazy!!!!!

Show Me the Wire
10-11-2003, 08:04 PM
I was neutral about the ALCS wanting to see some entertaining ball and it was up until the 4th inning of today's game. Today. in my opinion the Red Sox acted like losers and I am now rooting for the Yankees. Go Yankees!!!

Regards.
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Dave Schwartz
10-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Valuist,

>>I didn't like Pedro's mouthing off and gesturing<<

Agreed! He was out of line. I wonder if he would do that in the series in a game when he might bat? Oh well. Guess we'll never know. <G>

Dave

Valuist
10-11-2003, 08:08 PM
Dave-

Who are you rooting for in the ALCS and NLCS?

Larry Hamilton
10-11-2003, 08:09 PM
I must have watched a different game. The game I saw had zimmer being pulled to the ground in front of his OWN damn dugout. He got up in his own dugout, Pedro pulled him down. Now how did Pedro get in front of, damn near IN the wrong dugout?

I havent watched a game in 30 years. What I saw today looked like a cross between pro wrasslin' and base ball. It will be a long time before I waste another minute on that....

Dave Schwartz
10-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Larry,

I only saw the play on replay. Pedro went after Zimmer AFTER he threw him down?

Valuist,

I have been a Yankee fan since I was a kid. (One of my boyhood buddies used to play for the Yankees.) However, I have become somewhat ambivilent towards them in recent years. If Suff wasn't such a die hard 'Sox fan I might have been able to root for the Sox. I figured without someone rooting the other way the Yankees had no chance. <G>

In the NLCS, I'd like to see the Cubs.

Dave

Dave Schwartz
10-11-2003, 08:30 PM
On an unrelated baseball subject, listen to this...

My wife runs an eBay auction business. (She is BethsAuction if anyone is interested.) She specializes in consignment items, especially medium-to-high-end jewelry. Anyway, one of her jewelry clients collects baseball cards. He is liquidating his collection of 15,000 Ken Griffey cards! That's right. fifteen-thousand!

I guess they are hoping that Griffey gets well, otherwise the value goes way down.

Dave

PaceAdvantage
10-11-2003, 09:04 PM
And as a footnote to this game, what was with the guy in the Yankee's bullpen mixing it up?? I hear it was a member of the sox grounds crew???

Imagine if this had happened in the Bronx....oh, what notes I'd have to endure here reading about how classless and obnoxious NYers and NY fans are....

Truth be told, the Yankees are a class act through and through this season. We don't need no country songs or 'Cowboy' chants, nor do we need new hairdos (or non-hairdos as the case may be) to motivate us...we just go out and get the job done, end of story....

==PA

sq764
10-11-2003, 09:26 PM
I in no way condone what Pedro did (well what he did to Zimmer was the right thing to do, as he could have really hurt him)..

But lets not forget how Mr Clemens throws a razor sharp bat at Piazza, and then he hits him in the head later..

Now that was class as well.

sq764
10-11-2003, 09:51 PM
I hear he went to the hospital a while ago for observation..
I hope he is alright, but how can anyone blame what happened to him on Pedro Martinez? Would any of us let someone run up and hit us and not retaliate? I sure hope not..

Show Me the Wire
10-11-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by sq764
I hear he went to the hospital a while ago for observation..
I hope he is alright, but how can anyone blame what happened to him on Pedro Martinez? Would any of us let someone run up and hit us and not retaliate? I sure hope not..

Per the tone of Amazin's and LJB's prior posts regarding violence, I think either of them would not have retaliated. Am I correct?

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Show Me the Wire
10-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Breaking news: It is being reported the Yankee players attacked the Red Sox grounds crew person becuase the grounds crew person rooted for his home team. If this is true it is a gross example of unaccepatable behavior by the Yankee players. Also, it is being reported criminal charges may be brought against the players.

What a terrible display of sportsmanship if this is true.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Dave Schwartz
10-11-2003, 10:37 PM
SMTW,

While you are certainly right that the violence is not okay, a Fenway employee has no business rooting for Boston IN the Yankee bullpen.

Dave

Show Me the Wire
10-11-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
SMTW,

While you are certainly right that the violence is not okay, a Fenway employee has no business rooting for Boston IN the Yankee bullpen.

Dave

I would say the employee had a laspe in judgment and it certainlywas not proper ettiquite, but the response was over-kill and totally inaapropriate.

If the man is a fan he probably became caught up in the emotion of the game and forgot he was toiling in the enemies' terirtory.

The Yankee players' are professional athletes and should expect some laspses in judgment by employee/fans and should have dealt with it in an appropriate manner.

Regards.
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Dave Schwartz
10-11-2003, 11:09 PM
SMTW,

Agreed.

Dave

WINMANWIN
10-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Here's the latest scoop, But I doubt It's gonna happen. The local news in N.Y. is reporting that Yankee Players Nelson and Garcia
maybe Prosecuted by Boston authorities for Assault on the Groundskeeper....I have to believe it's a Longshot, That will happen.:rolleyes:

Dave Schwartz
10-11-2003, 11:16 PM
A different story told here...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14109-2003Oct11_2.html

Pace Cap'n
10-11-2003, 11:21 PM
Fenway Saturday--an apalling lack of class by both teams.

Clemens and Martinez are notorious headhunters, neither of whom would last a season in the National League.

And what was Garcia doing in the bullpen anyway?

PaceAdvantage
10-11-2003, 11:46 PM
But lets not forget how Mr Clemens throws a razor sharp bat at Piazza, and then he hits him in the head later..

Tsk tsk...remember what you told me when I tried to bring up some recent history:

2) It's currently 2003

WINMANWIN
10-11-2003, 11:49 PM
N.Y. Paper Headlines tomorrow, If you cant Beat them, ARREST THEM. :D

cj
10-12-2003, 12:15 AM
The funniest thing I heard was on the radio broadcast...the announcer said Pedro had shoved down David Wells, only to recant and say it was Don Zimmer. Pretty sad when your physical attributes are so similiar to a 72 year old fat guy that you can be confused with him from a distance!

cj
10-12-2003, 12:17 AM
Oh, and one more reason baseball with a DH will always suck compared to the National League's brand, and I'm a lifelong O's fan!

Anyone really think Pedro is going headhunting if he has to get in the box against Clemens, or vise versa? Somehow I doubt it.

WINMANWIN
10-12-2003, 12:41 AM
As some may know, Zimmer was hit in the head years ago, and now has a plate in his head. He was in a coma for like 13 days.
No question Zimmer, was out of line, But the bench coach wanted ACTION..Word has it, Steinbrenner wants him out after this year.
BTW, Zim is an avid Horse Player, really enjoys the game. Pedro
appeared to be frustrated tonite, As this was A big game for the
SOX. They needed him to pitch a Gem, and hold the lead. This series is certainly not Over, But, when the ACE gets Rattled, Pointing to opposing players, and taunting them, It doesn't send
a Good msg to his teammates. Composure is Vital, and The Ace
lost his tonite. This was game 3, If Pedro pitches again, In game 7....He Better COWBOY UP.......

kenwoodallpromos
10-12-2003, 03:09 AM
I hear Boston is known as Beantown! Figures! Looked to me like Zimmer was trying to stop Pedro from getting involved and thrown out of the game to me! I believe the bullpens are considered a team area like the dugout---waving a towel supporting the opposing team in the bullpen should be considered inciting a riot!! I do not care for Boston since they started playing football vs. the A's!

Dick Schmidt
10-12-2003, 03:34 AM
My Goodness! What a rough game. If I didn't know these men were professionals, I'd think they didn't like each other. Tell me, have these teams ever met before? I mean in important games. To watch them, you'd think they had some sort of history with one another.

I abhor violence, so I guess I'll stick to football tomorrow.

Dick

Who was raised a Yankee fan, but now follows the Dodgers and thus has no interest in postseason baseball.

PaceAdvantage
10-12-2003, 04:25 AM
Man, it's 4:12 in the morning, and I AM STILL buzzing from that game tonight. What a great win....and three cheers to the ROCKET...not only was he the better pitcher tonight by far, but he was the better man, which I'm sure surprised most....

This game is going to live a long time in my memory banks....WOW

Can they top it tonight??? Doubtful....I feel a blowout coming on....somebody is going to get blown out tonight......

Suff
10-12-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Oh, and one more reason baseball with a DH will always suck compared to the National League's brand, and I'm a lifelong O's fan!

Anyone really think Pedro is going headhunting if he has to get in the box against Clemens, or vise versa? Somehow I doubt it.

small ball sucks. Get serious. The land of the 240 Hitter and the 4 innning starter. YOu think these guy started pitching inside when they arrived the AL? Pedro pitched in the NL.

I love these people who hate the DH. We Kick a Few yankees ass and go inside on a few and its because they don't get an at bat. PLease... Earth to CJ... The NL sucks!

The Yankees used the controversery and cheating to steal the lead and the game. With all the cheating going on its amazing we only lost by 1 run. We knew going in we'd have to work our way around the cheating and bad umpiring. But I did'nt think it would be that Prevalent.

They're players are attacking Red Sox employees? They're throwing at Mannys Head!

I have a good mind to go over there today and straighten them out. Hey Butchy, PA... Remember what I did to that Guy who I caught stealing our ICE on Travers Day? Let's Just say Go For Wand aint alone no more.

Suff
10-12-2003, 08:30 AM
Man, it's 4:12 in the morning, and I AM STILL buzzing from that game tonight. What a great win....and three cheers to the ROCKET...not only was he the better pitcher tonight by far, but he was the better man, which I'm sure surprised most....

This game is going to live a long time in my memory banks....WOW

Can they top it tonight??? Doubtful....I feel a blowout coming on....somebody is going to get blown out tonight......

Typical... Game 1 loss. Not a Peep out of you (nor any Fakeeey). The Umps hand you one and your out here basking.

I want you out here First thing Tommorrow Morning explaining how we KICKED your ass Tonight....!

Suff
10-12-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Dick Schmidt

Who was raised a Yankee fan, but now follows the Dodgers and thus has no interest in postseason baseball.

Boston Boy. Irish Pedigree. Bought your Team this week.

Frank McCourt. Southie Kid. Did'nt have the 750 Mil to buy the Sox. So he Bought the Dodgers this week. 430 Mil.

They Call him a Developer. But truthfully. He's a Parking Lot Magnet. Owned about 25 Lots in Downtown Boston. A few of his lots went Crazy in Value and he took a Piece of the Development.
He made most of the 400 mil. 20 bucks at a time. Parking cars.

He owns the Huge Lot across from the Paramount theather on washington street. He owns all the lots in the "Combat Zone" section of downtown, he owned the land where they just built the new Ritz Carlton. He Started with two tiny lots his Dad Left him.

We sent him West to Keep an eye on things for us.

Suff
10-12-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos
II do not care for Boston since they started playing football vs. the A's!

We don't like you either.

Show Me the Wire
10-12-2003, 09:05 AM
A few more thoughts :

I still cannot figure out why Pedro threw at Garcia. At first I did not believe he threw at Garcia on purpose, because if he did it shows Pedro does not understand baseball. Throwing the ball behind the hitter in that situation demonstrates incompetence as the pitch can easily become a wild pitch allowing at least one runner to score and the other runner to move into better scoring position. Allowing a run to score on a wild pitch in that situation is not good strategy.

If Pedro wanted to fill the bases for a possible force at the plate or double play, which is good strategy, and still send a message he could have accomplished the goal with a tight inside pitch. Pitching inside is acceptable and should be done more often, but intentionally throwing behind a hitter and at his head is totally unacceptable at any time. It became apparent through Pedro’s subsequent actions his behind the head pitch was intentional.

Pedro’s actions, including his subsequent pointing to his temple and thrash talking, were the actions of a loser trying any desperate act to avoid the consequences of losing. He acted like a loser and proved he does not understand the game of baseball.

I enjoy seeing two teams playing hard and going after each other. I want to see the brush- back pitch, the hard slide into second, the tough defense and both teams equally wanting the win. I do not enjoy the demonstrated lack of baseball strategy and disrespect for fellow players. Pedro demonstrated his disrespect for the players and his lack of baseball savy.

The other disconcerting issue from the game was the action in the Yankees’ bullpen. Bad precedent is being set by players taking matters into their own hands, just like when the Dodger players jumped into the stands at Wrigley Field. I am seeing more and more of this type of activity where players have to be restrained from going after a fan. Professional players have no business getting into verbal or other exchanges with fans or actually believe they have the right to enter the stands to confront a fan. This type of player action will incite unnecessary fan violence, just like the mugging of the Royals’ first base coach in Chicago.

Baseball must address this player non-player interaction quickly. I believe baseball should impose a rule automatically ejecting any player that attempts to enter into the stands to confront a fan or gets involved in a heated exchange with a fan. Baseball ejects any fan that throws an object at a player, including beer, and the players should be held to at least the same standard of behavior.

I do not blame the Yankees’ players for being upset if the Red Sox grounds crew employee was leading cheers in the Yankees bullpen, but the players should not interact with non-players. The appropriate action is to call for security to remove the offense employee or inform the umpires about the troublemaker in the bullpen. I do blame the players’ for not realizing they are athletes, doing a job, in a ballpark filled with zealous fans and for the athletes’ inability to recognize the importance of this event to the fan.

One day thoughtless player actions will incite mob action against the opposition players and MLB will have nobody to blame but Bud, because he failed to address the problem at the appropriate time. And the appropriate time is now.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Suff
10-12-2003, 09:41 AM
Bud aint a Pimple on my ass. Like I said. Between the two Towns...

We care so very little what anyone thinks. And nothing will be done. Stay out of it. Between the towns.

Suff
10-12-2003, 09:47 AM
Plus.. Zimmer Charging our Pitcher? lol. 72 or not... I get within 10 feet of him...and he'll think Pedro gave him a foot Massage. He was the aggressor. He trys that crap again and he'll be in Yankee stadiums "Memorial park" sooner than he thinks.

Tom
10-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Pond Scum. Nothing more than pond scum.
A worhtless POS person.
You throw a 72 year old man to ground, you need to be evaluated for mental stability and you need to banned from the game for at least the rest of this year.
Yeah, Zimmer ran out there like a fool, but if your claim to fame and manliness is you can drop a 72 year old man, you are are a pretty pathetic POS,
Here's hoping for a career ending injury to this loser.
Classless team, Boston. Classless.
Vince McMahon will scouting there tonight.
:mad:

Larry Hamilton
10-12-2003, 10:21 AM
if POS means piece of shit, i agree

Suff
10-12-2003, 10:29 AM
The Yanks Have anyone older? Send them out next. wtf do we care. You put on a Uniform and get inside the Lines.. your goin down!

Class move by Pedro by not just Bashing him. Next time someone is charging you on the street. Do a Quick "age check" before you react. Showed his class and athleticism by not knocking the ugly bastard into next tuesday...

And he is ugly huh? Zimmer? Wow. I heard his First Paper route as a Kid was in Beruit or Lebanon. The ole boy's weathered huh?

Whast your View on Jeff Nelson Cold cocking a guy from behind? That right up your alley? From Behind? Lol..

Funny to watch you guys type this stuff.

Our Guy defends Himself by an oncoming attacker....and this is what you write? Zimmers a F'ing clown. Period.

A yankee Fan attacks a Guy making $9.00 an hour from Behind and nothing? wow... what a bunch of misguided types you are.

Just for the Record.. the guy Jeff Nelson Suckered.

He's a High School Teacher and Volunteer Fireman. Has worked 11 years with the sox without incident.

Guy teachs Kids and Saves Lives.

Suff
10-12-2003, 10:37 AM
I have to go out now... so you loud mouths can Type all the trash you want... It really is sad that a NY YANKEE attacks a Boston Fan...From Behind.. and they DOUBLED UP on him..

They are being charged with Assault and Battery.. Did you know that? They are alleged FELONS.. Violent Felons. And if Convicted under MA law. They'll have to put thier DNA on File with Mass State Police. lol. Pedro a POS. He was ATTACKED!!!

Go ahead and type the BS. I'm heading out. Mattter of Fact... I'm going right by Fenway. I'll drop in and see whats shaking.

SQ or some one? Handle these Mul-yons while I'm gone.

cj
10-12-2003, 10:38 AM
In fairness to Pedro, after watching the replay about 1,000 times on the various sports news shows, Zim came after him. What was he supposed to do?

Still doesn't excuse his throwing at Garcia. It is cowardly. Inside pitching and drilling someone because you are pissed that YOU didn't come through again are two different things. And Manny crying, that pitch wasn't even close to him, it was high but over the plate. Grow a set Manny...hell, he was probably hanging in the bar with his Yankee buddies after the game anyway like he did last time. But at least he is playing this time.

I seem to recall Mussina being called a choker. What was that yesterday? Team hands you a two run lead and you give it away. You are supposed to be the Ace, the man, the best pitcher in the game. I don't see it. Pedro has let the Sox down before in postseason, but yesterday had to hurt worst of all.

As for the DH, I just don't see what it adds to the game. Lets guys like Edgar Martinez stick around without owning a glove or a hat. I can do without that. Helps make games last an extra :45. I can do without that too. You think pitchers still play beanball if they have to take to plate? I don't think so. Clemens was too big of a wuss to pitch at Shea for two straight years.

Tom
10-12-2003, 10:42 AM
Hey, those other things, they are bad too. Just didn't se'em.
I happened to watch about 5 minutes of the game and that is the only BBal I hve watched all year. I saw a POS (Yes, Larry, a floater <G>) knock down an old guy and I thought it was classless. Coldcoking is classless, and attacking a groundskeeper is classless.
So is scratching your groin and spitting all day long.
Which is why I watch 5 minutes of BBall every year. It don't take long to remeber this is one stupid sport and wtf am I wasting my time watching it?
I watched a lot of games in the 70-'s (Can you say Bucky Dent?)
Then I sobered up and B Bal lost its appeal.
It became all to frequent , what happened yesterday, that brawling was used as a substitute for talent.
Gotta go...wrestling is coming on!

:rolleyes:

Larry Hamilton
10-12-2003, 10:56 AM
What Pedro demonstrated is the conduct of a thug. That his conduct has been excused and accepted as just by some floors me. Just how much of a threat is an old fat man?

Do you take your son or grandson to the games and say, "Hey, there is Pedro. I want you be just like that. Let's go home and practice by beating up your grand fathter, if we can get him awake and out of his wheel chair..."

POS indeed!

Show Me the Wire
10-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Suff:

I intentionally omitted any reference to the Pedro Zim fiasco, as I feel Zim was wrong too. Additionlly, my post talked about the Yankees bullpen being irresponsible, but I stand by my comment about Pedro acting like a loser.

Do not worry about it though, in a few years Pedro will be wearing the pinstripes, becuase after all more often than not the player will opt to leave a college town for the lure of the big city. When Pedro is wearing the pinstripes and throwing at the head of a Red Sox player remember your defense of him in the 2003 playoffs.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

sq764
10-12-2003, 11:14 AM
Tom, what was Pedro supposed to do with a guy charging at him??

What would you have done in that situation?

lsbets
10-12-2003, 11:14 AM
Okay, I am a die hard Yankee fan, but here ismy take on last night:

It was good, hard, old fashioned baseball - on both ends. Pedro wanted to send a message, and he did, but then all of the Sox were scared to face Clemens. That is the way the game is supposed to be played. As far as Zimmer, I love seeing the old man charge out there to kick Pedro's ass, and all Pedro did was swat him aside, because who in the hell wants to fight a guy that old? I thought it was a great game, none of the pansie crap we see too often in baseball these days.

sq764
10-12-2003, 11:17 AM
Larry, you say would you take your son to the game and home he emulates Pedro? Would you hope he emulates Clemens? Or drunken Wells? Or maybe hothead Posada? Or maybe steroid freak Bonds? Or maybe crybaby Piazza? Or maybe drunken wifebeater Chipper Jones??

Let's face it, there are very few heroes in pro sports.. Pedro is just the most current example..

Larry Hamilton
10-12-2003, 11:27 AM
agree...You nailed it, there are enough bad influences on my grand sons. I don't need to buy a ticket to reinforce bad behaviour.

sq764
10-12-2003, 11:39 AM
It's a real shame actually.. For every Cal Ripken, there are 10 Darryl Strawberry's.. For every Greg Maddux, there's 10 Clemens or Pedros.. For every Barry Sanders, there is 10 Bryan Cox's..

Hell, I grew up emulating Kirby Puckett.. Come to find out he's a woman beater..

Show Me the Wire
10-12-2003, 11:52 AM
There are bad influences everywhere, just look at Rush, Clinton etc. The problem is societal lowering of standards. A savvy pitcher would not have acted like Pedro. Pedro intentionally threw at a hitter’s head, which is never acceptable, and to compound his error he did it during the wrong situation. If Garcia avoided being hit, the pitch would have resulted in at least one runner scoring and the other advancing into a better scoring position. It was dumb baseball on Pedro’s part, no matter how you look at it.

The reason you have dumb baseball is because you lower the standards to market someone who can throw a ball as a baseball star, even if that person does not understand the strategy of the game.

As long as society on the whole is enamored with a single attribute of a person, especially physical attributes, and not the qualities of the whole person we will no longer have heroes to emulate.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

sq764
10-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Let's remember one thing here.. Pedro made a stupid judgement last night and acted like an ass, but that is not a reflection of his whole career. Clemens has acted like an ass on many occasions and is still a HOF pitcher like Pedro.. How did he come out of this unscathed?

Let's think big picture here..

cj
10-12-2003, 12:04 PM
Agreed Clemens is an ass, and I despise him ever since the Piazza incident, but he did nothing wrong yesterday. What should he be scathed for?

Pedro...please, he's been branded as a headhunter for a long time now.

sq764
10-12-2003, 12:26 PM
My point was that they are both headhunters.. (Clemens actually did hit Piazza in the head)..

I think Roger came out of this as the classy, rational one, which humors me... I don't think he's classy at all, he just chose to take the high road this time.

PaceAdvantage
10-12-2003, 01:43 PM
The Yankees used the controversery and cheating to steal the lead and the game. With all the cheating going on its amazing we only lost by 1 run. We knew going in we'd have to work our way around the cheating and bad umpiring. But I did'nt think it would be that Prevalent.

What a bunch of sour grapes....CHEATING??? Get real....what cheating???

AND THERE HAVE BEEN NO CHARGES FILED. That's also a bunch of BS. Where's the proof this guy didn't start things first??? Sucker punched from behind???? How do you know this? Were you in the bullpen?? It's his word against theirs....

And WTF was he doing standing in the Yankees bullpen waving a towel and cheering the Red Sox????

PS. Is it shock and awe time still??

PPS. And just for the record Suff, I believe it was you who elevated all this trash talk to a new level ("Shock and Awe", "Yankees Suck", etc)....so don't be surprised that some Yankee fans are here defending their team....and basking in a couple of victories....

sq764
10-12-2003, 01:47 PM
"And WTF was he doing standing in the Yankees bullpen waving a towel and cheering the Red Sox????"

A Red Sox stadium employee cheering the Red Sox? You are right, what the HELL was he thinking?? He deserved to get jumped..

Suff
10-12-2003, 01:56 PM

PPS. And just for the record Suff, I believe it was you who elevated all this trash talk to a new level ("Shock and Awe", "Yankees Suck", etc)....so don't be surprised that some Yankee fans are here defending their team....and basking in a couple of victories....

I know what I Start...! Don't tell me what I start! I know what I started. And I know what I end to!

You did where a Yankees Cap at Saratoga the day I met you did'nt you? Now, your a shrinking violet defending your team? LMAO.

You wore it... You wore a Yankees Cap to meet me! Lol...

You know what that is Mike? Passive/aggressive.. I'm wise to your type!

PaceAdvantage
10-12-2003, 02:04 PM
I have no clue what you just typed.....and please don't try and psycho-analyze me....

Shrinking violet??? Where do you come up with this crap?

Is the thought of losing 3 straight at home and losing the series starting to get to you?

And Suff, you don't know me very well....ask anyone who knows me, and they'll tell you I wear my Yankee hat ALMOST EVERY DAY....why would I take it off at Saratoga???

PaceAdvantage
10-12-2003, 02:06 PM
And BTW Suff, there are not and probably will not be ANY charges filed against Yankee players for yesterday's bullpen action....you should probably retract your prior statement....

Suff
10-12-2003, 02:25 PM
I got yea Retract right here.

Bubbles
10-12-2003, 02:37 PM
GUYS, GUYS, GUYS! Hold yer horses. Rather than having an argument here, why not settle it in the handicapping contest? Either that, or make fun of Bubbles the Mets fan...

PaceAdvantage
10-12-2003, 02:44 PM
What's to argue...we got Wells going tonight, and they have Burkett....

I smell 3-1.....

Tom
10-12-2003, 04:27 PM
Toga II.
Can't wait. :eek:

I'm cutting out of this thread and going back to Hcap and Amazin....it's calmer over there! :rolleyes:

WINMANWIN
10-12-2003, 04:56 PM
What gets me is How can 2 AVID Funnycide FAN'S Get heated
up, Talking Baseball.:confused: Makes me laugh, When I slept in Suff's cabin, I had my Giambi and Piazza tee shirts Packed. I said Suff, I wont wear the Giambi Shirt, But do you mind if I wear the Piazza shirt ??? He said no Sweat. I was gonna hang the Giamba shirt In his room, Until I saw him wearing The Williams Sox Jersey
From Decades ago, and the SOX Cap.:rolleyes: Think we're having some differences on this thread, Wonder how Ben and Jen are doing...:D It should only Strengthen the relationship. :)

Hammerhead
10-12-2003, 05:00 PM
Will Padro come out in his matadores uniform? Is Zimmer doing windsprints? Is the Yankee bullpen full of Boston war mongers?

Stay tune tonight. Same Bat time. Same Bat channel. Watch as more spoiled brats and sore losers, blame the world for not winning, due to the pressure put on them by everybody. I am rooting for Shosha and the cubs.

A Met and Jet fan I am, I am. Who says the world is fair?

sq764
10-12-2003, 05:32 PM
I kind of agree with Pace (just tonight), that one pitcher is going to get hammered today (hopefully Wells)..

What's funny is that after all this, if the Sox win tonight, its all tied.. Why does it feel that its not just 2-1??

PaceAdvantage
10-12-2003, 06:42 PM
True, it is only 2-1.....maybe we'll see a game 7....

It's been dead-tight between these two teams all season long, so why should this series be any different....

Game 7 in the Bronx against the sox....can you say "electricity"???

Suff
10-12-2003, 07:24 PM
Game time Coming up.... Theres a Link to a 34 second video shot from the stands along First base last night.. It shows ZIM coming all the way around to take on Pedro. After watching it a few times I was laughing.. It;s Hilarious. Gotta Admire ZIm.. What a warrior.. Looking for trouble at 72! Hope I'm as lucky.

Get riled by watching this... Click Exclusive Video

http://www.boston.com/

PaceAdvantage
10-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Someone just told me the game is rained out.....bummer

sq764
10-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Well what the hell am I going to do tonight now?

Might as well go to bed until 4:00 tomorrow afternoon.

Suff
10-12-2003, 07:36 PM
Burkett hits the bench. Wakefield to Lowe back to Pedro....:)

Storm Cadet
10-12-2003, 09:21 PM
remember the old Braves chant...Spahn and Sain and pray for rain...well the drops helped the Bosox avoid their third straight loss tonight...

1918[B][SIZE=4][COLOR=red]

ranchwest
10-12-2003, 09:22 PM

Bob Gibson did.

sq764
10-12-2003, 09:46 PM
Pedro and Lowe and pray for snow?

cj
10-12-2003, 10:14 PM
ranchwest,

Bob Gibson did, absolutely. And do you know what else? He got in the box, dug in, and faced the consequences of his actions. Not like these pathetic guys who do it in the AL and then pray for the catcher to be a fast runner (Nolan Ryan excepted, right Robin Ventura!)

sq764
10-12-2003, 10:29 PM
I would love to know how many times Gibson was hit by a pitch in his career.. Anyone have access to those stats?

Pace Cap'n
10-12-2003, 10:35 PM
ranchwest,

Bob Gibson did, absolutely. And do you know what else? He got in the box, dug in, and faced the consequences of his actions. Not like these pathetic guys who do it in the AL and then pray for the catcher to be a fast runner (Nolan Ryan excepted, right Robin Ventura!)

Bob Gibson. The maestro of chin music. Never afraid to pitch someone high and tight. No batter ever owned the plate when he pitched. BUT, I do not ever recall him having the rep of a "headhunter". Back then, the brushback was an accepted part of the game.

Nowadays, if a batter even hears the breeze from a pitch, he heads for the mound and the dugouts empty.

And another thing. Has anyone noticed how, when a hitter gets good wood on the ball, he feels compelled to stand at the plate and admire his work? Then the ball hits off the wall and it's like
"Oh, shit, I better run.".

Sure is a different game these days.

cj
10-12-2003, 10:38 PM
I would love to know how many times Gibson was hit by a pitch in his career.. Anyone have access to those stats?

8 times...hit 24 HRs by the way, not a bad hitter.

I agree about the hitters, need to toughen up a little. Yesterday, however, was not a case of brushing back or pitching inside. If these guys would take off the Red Sox colored glasses, they'd see Pedro was wrong on this one.

Pace Cap'n
10-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Great stats. How do you do it?

Also, in total agreement with you abut Pedro.

sq764
10-12-2003, 11:08 PM
Great Stats CJ.. That just shows you that players back then weren't such wusses.. They understood that getting hit was part of the game.

I love the Sox and I think Pedro was wrong yesterday..

He handled it incorrectly.. no excuse.

Plenty of pitchers have lost their cool and their head, including Clemens, Randy J, Schilling, etc... Last night was Pedro's turn..

Suff
10-13-2003, 05:51 AM
5 o'clock Monday Morn. No work today...playing ponies/watching baseball.... sitting with my morning coffee.

I told CJ I'd tell him what the NY/Bos rivalry means to me. So over coffee here goes.

I Love NY. I go frequently. Have been 100 times. I get along with Ny'rs great. I was trying to scan my Breeders cup 2001 ticket into my Avatar for Bubbles Contest. Scanner won't cooperate.

I have a lot of respect for NY'rs. Like the rest of the country I was proud of the way they handled 9/11. They sure lived up to thier reputation as being a Tough Group.

So with all the trash talk aside. I love NY.. I like its people.

But you know that Reputation and certain Swagger NY'rs are known for? Well they don't have that Swagger around Boston Guys. It Goes away. Ny'rs are much less cocky when doing business with Boston Types. They know it... We know it.

We got NY in so many ways...and it's only known between the two towns...But its known.

The Money.

Its nice to see the Floor of the NYSE in NY. NY is Gotham. They have the 3 Majors...and Chicago has the Merc.

But you know what city runs the floor of the NYSE? Boston. On any Given day Fidelity Corporation can be as much as 5% of the entire NYSE volume. And the rest of the money? The Money in todays market and has been for 20 years is coming from MUTUAL FUNDS. 80% of all Mutual Funds Orginate here in Boston. Mutuals can be 35% of the daily volume.

So you know those guys answering the Phone and running around the Floor of the NYSE trying to fill an order? Those orders are from Boston... We have the Money... NY'rs answer the Phone and fill Orders. We Give the orders.

The People

And on the subject of Fidelity. Its a private company. Owned by Ned Johnson. Quiet Boston Wealth that could buy Donald Trump and George Stienbrenner 10 times over. Only he does'nt need to be on TV 100 times year to let people know it. Hey Steinbrenner.. Shut up already! Your a loud mouth with a few bucks!

The Brains.

They all come here to school. Harvard ,Harvard Medical and Law, MIT, Brandies, Umass, BU. Boston teachs the world. The worlds Brightest. Heck even PA went to College here. Steve Crist went "Harvard" in his first chapter. Beyer likes to drop Harvard.

So what kind of "intellectual capital" you think Boston Has? It takes a lot to stick out in this academic Community. Boston has a HUGE edge on NY in the Brains Dept. They know it too.

The Balls.

Ny'rs have Hustle no doubt.. and Ny'rs have game. First Class Game. But Boston Guys have Better Hustle and Faster Game. And NY'rs KNOW IT. Believe me.. That NY swagger and attitude that they display to the rest of the world? That BULLSHIT stops at the State Line. NY Guys in Boston..show Us HUGE respect. That Bullying and arrogance turns to Reverance when they Show up in this Town.

Because they know.. They got nothing on us.

I just laid it out.. The Money, The Brains, The Balls. Boston has it ALL OVER NY!! And they know it!

All except this Baseball thing. NY is KING. 26 Championships.. No one will lay a glove on that ever. But the fact that Boston has not won ONE in 80 years.. has over a Barrel.

Pound for Pound. Boston's the best city in the North East. We know..Ny'rs know it.

We have to beat them in Baseball. We have to beat them on the way to the world series. Thats the CLUB that they've been beating us with for 50 years. If we can beat them and take that weapon out of thier hands... The MYTH will end.

kenwoodallpromos
10-13-2003, 06:21 AM
Can you explain to me how your Private Company Fidelity can be a Corporation? Why is the battle fought oon Breed's Hill called Bunker Hill, a different hill? Why did the Tea Party members dress as indians? I once visited Boston, a real great place to visit. Unforunately Boston is in many ways played second fiddle to NY historically (Larry Byrd, Boston Clam Chowder, politics, recently the marathon). MA in ways is infamous (Strangler, Salem Witch Trials, hanging of non-Putitans, Concord, Whaling, Privateering, cream pies, Superbowl winners Patriots nho longer had the Boston name. Real sad!

Suff
10-13-2003, 07:45 AM
From Boston Code book, Page 229, paragraph 3, commandment #226.98

Though shalt not Defend nor explain one's self to no man

PaceAdvantage
10-13-2003, 10:53 AM
LOL....this is all some very entertaining stuff.....

However, Suff failed to mention a major difference between Bostonians and NYers....

Bostonians actually have the free time to come up with all this BS bravado and chest pounding, while NYers are actually too busy doing important stuff to give it a second thought....LOL

And for the record, I loved every minute I spent in Boston over those years, and I lived basically RIGHT UNDER the Citgo sign on Bay State Road along the Charles River.....went to many Red Sox games, and love Fenway Park (but don't love the Red Sox). One of the best places to watch a baseball game is/was from the bleachers at Fenway....great view of the game....

Heck my first two months in the city were right at the time the Sox were losing the World Series to the Mets.....what a time that was.....

Valuist
10-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Supposedly, Sosa and Alou were spotted at Calder on Saturday. And who ends up with behind home plate seats for Saturday night's game? Jerry Bailey.

sq764
10-13-2003, 04:57 PM
I must say, the apology from Zimmer was classy. You could tell he was so embarrassed about the whole thing, putting him to tears.

Honestly, I don't think now is the time for Pedro or Manny or Garcia or anyone to apologize, but maybe after this whole thing is over they could admit they expressed poor judgement..

JustMissed
10-13-2003, 06:01 PM
I must say, the apology from Zimmer was classy. You could tell he was so embarrassed about the whole thing, putting him to tears.

Honestly, I don't think now is the time for Pedro or Manny or Garcia or anyone to apologize, but maybe after this whole thing is over they could admit they expressed poor judgement..

Man, I hate to see an athlete cry, my God. Just tighten up your jock strap(err, depends) and get on with the game.

I personally don't give a damn about New York or Boston, but hope the Soxs beat the shit out of New York if they are going to start crying on TV, give me a break.

Old Zimmer lives a few miles down the beach from me and the next time I see him around I'll tell him exactly what I think about cry babies. I hope he goes after me, he'll have two plates in his head.

ROTFLMAO

JustMissed

WINMANWIN
10-13-2003, 06:22 PM
Looks like Criminal Charges will be FILED tomorrow as reported on the N.Y. NEWS ABOUT 15 MINS AGO, Involving Nelson and Garcia. In today's N.Y. papers, Mayor Bloomberg said that NYC Police,would have ARRESTED Pedro, If that happened in New York.
Well Bloomy, Thats a Good Political Stance for you, But now Boston Police are gonna Charge 2 Players Due to your Political
Agenda, And Quite Frankly, How can you Blame Them ????:confused:

PaceAdvantage
10-13-2003, 06:43 PM
Let 'em arrest them...have a good time....we'll still win the series....then who will be crying?

Larry Hamilton
10-13-2003, 07:31 PM
I had alot to say about pedro and zimmer. I watched the rerun again and must now admit, zimmer was indeed charging the mound. Stupid move by an old fart. Pedro coulda kicked his ass back to the dugouut, instead he just threw him down. He had no other choice.

My apologies.

Tom
10-13-2003, 08:33 PM
Been to Boston.
Not impressed with that stupid traffic circle.
If going through there is the onyl way to get to Saugus, then I'll live with it.
The Hilltop Steak House.
Worth any inconvenience.
I once skipped a flight home and stayed overnight rather than miss out on one of those 87 pound T-Bones!

NY.
Only been there in the airport as a stop-over. Never got into the city.
Don't really have any desire to go there. Can live and die without seeing the Big Apple. Nothing personal, just no desire to see it in person.
Now, Chicago-LOVE that town. My kind of town. So whoever gets to the series, if the Cubbies are there, I am rooting for them.
Chicago. Feel at home there. Pizza crusts are thicker than paper.
The steaks come from cows and you know it. <G>

Now, time for game 4.
Ny. Boston.
As Michael Buffer would say,
"Ladies and Gentlemen. Tonight. 15 rounds of baseball for the heavyweight championship of the world.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Let's get ready to plaaaay baaaaaaaaaall!

:rolleyes:

freeneasy
10-13-2003, 08:35 PM
hey, what is this donney? you broke the majormost cardinal rule in all of baseballdom and that is " theres no crying in baseball" and he who embellishes to break such rule must and will lose. don, you know better then to bring the curse of the quivering chin upon you yankees. you blew it now. damn, at first i was embarassed for you but then i thought hey this is pretty funny, chin n all

sq764
10-13-2003, 10:23 PM
PA, you sure are confident.. I admire that.. Hope you can swallow it if they lose...

sq764
10-13-2003, 10:24 PM
If the Sox do happen to lose this series, a lot of it has to lay on Nomar.. My God has he sucked, and sucked BAD..

He has absolutely no clue up there and is killing them!

Suff
10-13-2003, 11:09 PM

I smell 3-1.....

Better grab yourself another whiff....

sq764
10-13-2003, 11:09 PM
"I smell 3-1....."

PA, I think one of your senses is a bit off...

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2003, 01:01 AM
To be fair, I smelled 3-1 on SUNDAY night, before Fenway's crappy drainage system kicked in to screw with the pitching matchups....at least give me SOME credit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great game tonight...the best team won....the Yankees seemed like they were rolling over a bit and not trying very hard, although Mussina pitched a very good game, despite the two homers....

And Wakefield was a master, and had the Yankees twisting in the wind at times....I call them as I see them, and we didn't look all that great tonight....

Of course, if I was a sox fan, and tonights score was reversed, I get to say that we ONLY LOST BY 1.....despite not looking our best offensively....just like SQ said they ONLY LOST BY 4 the other night....LOL

And oh yeah, I also said a seven game series is to be expected given the closeness of these two teams all year long....but you guys gotta come back to the Bronx to win, and that's not going to be easy....

Best of 3 from here on out fellas....fasten your seatbelts, cause the WORLD SERIES is going to be an ANTICLIMAX after the ALCS is all said and done.....

==PA

freeneasy
10-14-2003, 03:32 AM
what'd i tell ya, there aint no cry'n in baseball, so the next time you feel like doing your imitation of a human bowling ball splashing down on a slip n slide, just say something like, hey what can i tell ya, the crowd was up, i was up, everybody was feeling their oats, and i made a mad dash for god knows what i was doing, but all i can say is he's lucky i landed on the playing field instead of him, god save the queen. i mean c'mon, maybe one or two quick quivers of the chin, maybe, but damn don-o, you looked like a bowl of electric jell-o up there. see if your gonna take your shot, take it. but if you do, there aint no cry'n in baseball. see ya in game 5

CumberlandBluesHSH
10-14-2003, 09:25 AM
well - the rainout cost me a chance to see a game this series as I had a ticket to the rained out game and cannot make the return trip for this afternoon's makeup.....but I'm happy to take one for the team as (has been pointed out above) the weather induced shifts in the pitching matchups favor the Sox in the short term. They're all big in a short series, but this afternoon is HUGE......I don't much like the Pettitte/Burkett matchup in Game 6....don't really wanna see the Sox heading back to NY needing 2.

sq764
10-14-2003, 09:26 AM
Not looking your best offensively? THey have no offense...

Boston is the one who looks like crap up there. They have gotten to this point with zero contribution from Garciapara and Ramirez..

If they get hot, its all over for the Yanks.. (If being the key word in there)

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2003, 09:56 AM
Yup, the Yankees suck....no offense, none whatsoever...that's why they had the best record in baseball, cause they suck....the only way the Yankees win is by cheating and luck....right?

Maybe, just maybe, the Red Sox were playing WAY over their heads offensively this year, and now, come playoff time, they are regressing to the mean.....

sq764
10-14-2003, 10:27 AM
Who said they suck? Who said they cheat? I didn't.. I just said they are weak offensively.. Look at the stats.

You are getting quite defensive.. Almost showing signs of panic..

Relax, if the Yankmes are the best team, they should win it, right :-)?

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2003, 10:41 AM
You just said they have no offense, and Suff attributed their win on Saturday night to cheating...go back and read his note....

No panic here. Just exasperation. I'm kinda tired of having to defend the best team in baseball.

You're right, I'll let the results speak for themselves. It's plain foolish to sit here back and forth debating nothing of substance.

In closing, just remember I already congratulated the sox on their win yesterday...I said they were the better team last night...that's more than I can say for Suff, who not only couldn't give props to the Yankees after Saturday's win, but had to play the "won by cheating" card, which totally blew my mind....

Best of 3 from here on out....

sq764
10-14-2003, 10:55 AM
I think the Yankees want to get the hell out of Boston. You can kind of tell that the hostile environment is getting to them..

I wonder how bad they are going to get on Wells today, and if he gets rattled, oh boy..

I would like to see the Sox take this afternoon's game and see it go back to NY.. And just root for them to win 1 of 2 games..

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2003, 11:02 AM
I don't know about that...I think the Yankees have more than held their own against Boston fans (in more ways than one).

Clemens pitched beautifully the other night, despite all the pre-game hype and pressure, the on-field bruhaha, and the "Rooooggggaaaaahhhhh" chants. Jeff Nelson got the job done last night, despite all the ball busting......

sq764
10-14-2003, 12:53 PM
Agreed, but let's face it, Clemens has been there and delivered many times.. Wells is another story.. If they start to hit him, he is done.. He doesn't have near the nerve that Clemens has..

I am willing to bet the night ends with Wells coming off the field and throwing his glove and hat in the stands.

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2003, 01:48 PM
I am willing to bet the night ends with Wells coming off the field and throwing his glove and hat in the stands.

That would be something, wouldn't it? This series is one of the most exciting I've ever watched....helps to be a Yankee fan or Red Sox fan for sure, but I think this series has had a little bit of everything.....that's why I say the World Series might be anticlimactic....

sq764
10-14-2003, 02:43 PM
I must say that although I love baseball (watching, still playing, listening to, etc), I have never been more interested to watch a series (other than my beloved Phillies winning the 1980 World Series) than this one. I cannot remember sitting there and getting so into a game and feeling the intensity of the fans and players.

Whether its Fenway or Yankee stadium, you can just tell the place is electric and they are on every pitch.. And what’s fun is that this is the one time of year that every single guy is busting his ass every single play and they want to win so bad.

Pace Cap'n
10-14-2003, 02:43 PM
that's why I say the World Series might be anticlimactic....

Not with the Cubbies in it......

Suff
10-14-2003, 04:12 PM

In closing, just remember I already congratulated the sox on their win yesterday...I said they were the better team last night...that's more than I can say for Suff, who not only couldn't give props to the Yankees after Saturday's win, but had to play the "won by cheating" card, which totally blew my mind....

Best of 3 from here on out....

Props.

Now... Back to the game.. Starts in 10 Minutes. I was going to put a smiliy in here.. But you don't have one that reflects "Game Face".

This game is THE game...

sq764
10-14-2003, 05:04 PM
Under this pretense, shouldn't Zimmer have been arrested for charging him? Now we base the decision on a crime on age? Did I miss something?

NEW YORK -- Boston Red Sox ace Pedro Martinez should have been arrested for throwing 72-year-old Yankees coach Don Zimmer to the ground during Game 3 of the American League Championship Series, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Sunday.

"If that happened in New York we would have arrested the perpetrator," Bloomberg said. "Nobody should throw a 70-year-old man to the ground, period. You start doing that pretty soon you're going to throw a 61-year-old man to the ground, and I have a big vested interest in that."

sq764
10-14-2003, 07:10 PM
All I have to say is that I hope he has some hidden injury that explains this absolutely pathetic showing in the post season. He's just an absolute disgrace at the plate..

You cannot blame one guy, but he has come up in so many huge situations and has blown every single one of them..

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2003, 07:28 PM
Maybe it's the excellent Yankee veteran pitching that's got the sox down???? 40yo Wells sits them down.....in Fenway, a park he don't like.....

Anyway, all I have to say now is this:

http://sp.junkyville.com/sounds/homer_whoohoo.wav

Suff
10-14-2003, 07:39 PM
Team looks into the Abysss.... Team finds itself.

Down 2-0 in best of 5 in Oakland. We did.

This Team is too good to go away easy.

We took 2 of the first 4 in that last 4 game set we had in NY. We outscored you like 20-3 in first two games...Remember that?

Yea.... Tommorrow.. Can't wait.

Suff
10-14-2003, 07:46 PM
Btw... You happen to see Dave Andersons Column in the "Distinguished Grey Lady" , the NY times today?

He said Pedro would'nt be safe in NY if the series went 7. Basically egged on the troops... This from the NY times...

Class.. NY class.

sq764
10-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Just get us to Game 7, that is all I ask..

Pedro versus Clemens Part II

If we lose it then, fine, Yanks get props..

Just give me a reason to watch Thurs night.. That is all I want.

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2003, 09:13 PM
Pedro would be more than safe in NY. Don't believe everything you read.

Storm Cadet
10-14-2003, 09:13 PM
OK NY fans...another good game all the way around..timely hitting..great pitching and defense...ONE TO GO...it's gonna be tough to beat the Yanks in NY with Petite and Clemens ready!

sq764
10-14-2003, 09:27 PM
I cannot decide if I just watched a good pitching deul or totally inept offenses?

I prefer to side with the latter. I think Wells and Lowe got the outs they needed when they needed them (mainly due to good defense), but generally, the offenses have choked badly during the entire series.

Just one man's opinion :-)

cj
10-14-2003, 11:23 PM
What can you say about that Cubs fan tonight? Almost feel sorry for him, but if it were an Os fan costing us a game, I probably want him hung! He's like the anti-Jeffrey Maier! (sp?)

sq764
10-15-2003, 09:28 AM
Only difference is that whole section would have been empty at Camdem Yards..

sq764
10-15-2003, 10:00 AM
PA, what do you mean "Don't believe everything you read"?

PaceAdvantage
10-15-2003, 10:16 AM
Suff was saying some article in the NY Times implied Pedro would not be safe in NY (physically) if the series went 7 games.....that's what I was referring to....don't believe everything you read...

sq764
10-15-2003, 10:59 AM
I don't think he would be safe if he beat the Yanks at Yankee Stadium..

I think if that happens, he should get the hell out of there ASAP..

cj
10-15-2003, 11:21 AM
Only difference is that whole section would have been empty at Camdem Yards..

Say what you will about the O's, but the attendance is still pretty good despite the sad product that has been put on the field in recent years.

cj
10-15-2003, 11:42 AM
2002 Baltimore Orioles American League 67 95 .414 36.5 2,682,439
2001 Baltimore Orioles American League 63 98 .391 32.5 3,094,821
2000 Baltimore Orioles American League 74 88 .457 13.5 3,297,031
1999 Baltimore Orioles American League 78 84 .481 20.0 3,431,829
1998 Baltimore Orioles American League 79 83 .488 35.0 3,685,194
1997 Baltimore Orioles American League 98 64 .605 - 3,711,132
1996 Baltimore Orioles American League 88 74 .543 4.0 3,646,950
1995 Baltimore Orioles American League 71 73 .493 15.0 3,098,475
1994 Baltimore Orioles American League 63 49 .563 6.5 2,535,359
1993 Baltimore Orioles American League 85 77 .525 10.0 3,644,965

2002 Boston Red Sox American League 93 69 .574 10.5 2,650,382
2001 Boston Red Sox American League 82 79 .509 13.5 2,625,333
2000 Boston Red Sox American League 85 77 .525 2.5 2,554,620
1999 Boston Red Sox American League 94 67 .584 3.5 2,412,423
1998 Boston Red Sox American League 92 70 .568 22.0 2,343,947
1997 Boston Red Sox American League 78 84 .481 20.0 2,226,136
1996 Boston Red Sox American League 85 77 .525 7.0 2,315,231
1995 Boston Red Sox American League 86 58 .597 - 2,164,410
1994 Boston Red Sox American League 54 61 .470 17.0 1,775,818
1993 Boston Red Sox American League 80 82 .494 15.0 2,422,021

Wanna try again!

Two cities very close in population.

ps...Its not our fault you guys play in a bandbox that doesn't hold more people. If I couldn't hit a ball out of that park I'd cut my arms off!

sq764
10-15-2003, 01:29 PM
Bandbox???? Have you ever actually watched a game at Camden Yards??

That is one of the smallest parks I have ever seen..

sq764
10-15-2003, 05:56 PM
I mean, beyond actually tackling his other infielders trying to field a ground ball, is there ANTHING else Nomar can possibly do to cost the Sox this Series?

I mean 1 RBI is what 40+ at bats? Then a 4 run error today?

I am sure he'll get a few death threat letters in the offseason :-)

cj
10-15-2003, 06:00 PM
NOMAR, wake up, its the WOMAN...happens to most pro athletes when they find "lust" or love.

Show Me the Wire
10-15-2003, 06:01 PM
Nomar :

Jitters about the pending nuptials?

CJ and I had the same idea almost at the same time, uncanny I say.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

cj
10-15-2003, 06:02 PM
Been to Camden Yards more times than I can count...it is small, but has much more seating capacity. Just commenting on the "empty" stands comment. We support our team. Of course we should, we've actually won some world series since the depression :)

sq764
10-15-2003, 06:15 PM
Hey CJ, I am a Phillies fan (live about 25 minutes from Vet Stadium and about 1.5 hours north of Baltimore).. I try to make every meeting at Camden between Phils and O's.. Nice area, (nice Hooters restaurant)..

(I am over the 1983 Series that we lost to you guys)

sq764
10-15-2003, 06:17 PM
Between Nomar's shit-ass performance here and Mia Hamm losing in the World Cup, this is going to be a depressing time in the Garciapara household..

cj
10-15-2003, 06:27 PM
What is the status of the new Phillies stadium? Are the building a new one, or remodeling the Vet? For all I know, they've already built one and I missed it...doh!

lsbets
10-15-2003, 06:44 PM
Was listening to the game on the way home from work, or I would have posted it when it happenned:

NOMAR BUCKNER!

sq764
10-15-2003, 06:46 PM
It's almost done (the brand new stadium).. Its looking gorgeous.. Will be ready for opening day next year.. cannot wait..

here is what its going to look like:

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/phi/ballpark/phi_ballpark_2004ballpark.jsp