PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here following Turfway Park?

Stillriledup
12-10-2010, 08:09 PM
This is a funny place.

Most of these races are won by wide closers who are circling up 10 wide on the track. If you're inside battling for the lead, its pretty hard to win.

So, with that said, i see so many riders just throwing leather to get the lead. These jocks are riding like speed can't lose, its hilarious to watch.

TL Pompell was just riding a horse called UK Wildcat in the 6th race from post 10. He was throwing crosses and jumping up and down to battle in a speed duel. The horse was done before the turn and got beat 50 lengths. Is there something i'm missing? Why are guys riding like this, don't they watch the races?

JustRalph
12-10-2010, 09:53 PM
I just started a database on this track last week.

I show sprints are fair........routes playing heavily to closers.

I think this track changes faster than just about any other plastic track.

It's probably the coldest poly track they run on.

I am not risking any big bucks yet.....just logging data......

Stillriledup
12-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I just started a database on this track last week.

I show sprints are fair........routes playing heavily to closers.

I think this track changes faster than just about any other plastic track.

It's probably the coldest poly track they run on.

I am not risking any big bucks yet.....just logging data......

Just had a wire to wire winner at a big price in a route race.

If you can afford to box 12 in the tri, you'll do ok at this place!

Zman179
12-10-2010, 10:25 PM
If you can afford to box 12 in the tri, you'll do ok at this place!

There's some very good prices at Turfway. That 6th race you were talking about, the super paid huge. 9/2, 5/2 fav, 9/2 and 6/1 in a ten horse field...$2 super paid $3,786.

Stillriledup
12-10-2010, 10:37 PM
There's some very good prices at Turfway. That 6th race you were talking about, the super paid huge. 9/2, 5/2 fav, 9/2 and 6/1 in a ten horse field...$2 super paid $3,786.

This is a good place to bet, i mean, you don't have to hit too many races here to make a nice amount of money. Lots of value, you don't see 3-5 shots too often at this place like you do at Hollywood.

Zman179
12-10-2010, 10:51 PM
This is a good place to bet, i mean, you don't have to hit too many races here to make a nice amount of money. Lots of value, you don't see 3-5 shots too often at this place like you do at Hollywood.

I don't even bother looking at Southern California racing anymore. In fact I don't think I've even bet $100 the entire year there. No, it's not that "California racing is dead to me", but who wants 5 & 6 horse fields all the time? Their product is horrid. Why bother when cheaper tracks like Beulah, Turfway, Remington and Delta/Evangeline always offer 10 - 12 horse fields?

chico9166
12-10-2010, 11:10 PM
I don't even bother looking at Southern California racing anymore. In fact I don't think I've even bet $100 the entire year there. No, it's not that "California racing is dead to me", but who wants 5 & 6 horse fields all the time? Their product is horrid. Why bother when cheaper tracks like Beulah, Turfway, Remington and Delta/Evangeline always offer 10 - 12 horse fields?
What he said.

jballscalls
12-11-2010, 11:47 AM
my buddy calls the charts there and i remember calling him last year and asked him "why do they all go so wide here, do the jocks think the rail is dead or something?"

his response "they're never on the rail, i dont know how they'd know if it was dead or not"

BlueShoe
12-11-2010, 12:24 PM
In Thursdays 5th had what was perhaps the worst tough beat of the year when a 19-1 shot that I had seriously bet got nailed in the last stride by a 14-1 shot to lose by a neck. A whole stack of 100 dollar bills went up in a puff of smoke in an instant.:( Oh well, part of racing. Both runners were coming off of sharp Beulah races. Beulah horses seem to be somewhat overlooked and going off at good prices, as the crowd is betting the supposedly classier runners in from Churchill and Keeneland. Perhaps an early meeting angle?

Stillriledup
12-28-2010, 03:56 AM
Turfway will be in the spotlight on Tuesday, no major circuits are in action.

Kevroc
12-28-2010, 04:47 AM
Just a guess as to why they go so wide there.. looking at the condition book, there are a lot of conditional claiming races and just overall cheap races. Maybe these types just don't corner that well and/or just not sound enough to maintain speed.

As for throwing crosses and working the leather right outta the blocks.. maybe it was one of those "workout in company" deals... was the runner "dead" on the tote?

Stillriledup
12-28-2010, 05:31 AM
Just a guess as to why they go so wide there.. looking at the condition book, there are a lot of conditional claiming races and just overall cheap races. Maybe these types just don't corner that well and/or just not sound enough to maintain speed.

As for throwing crosses and working the leather right outta the blocks.. maybe it was one of those "workout in company" deals... was the runner "dead" on the tote?

I think he was a contender on paper to my eye, but he might have been like a 9-1 shot? I don't remember his exact odds.

I think you have a point about going very wide, that's not exactly the best rider colony on the planet and also, there's a ton of kickback, maybe jocks just go as wide as possible to avoid getting blasted with that stuff. Probably a combination of things.

gm10
12-28-2010, 06:52 AM
This is a funny place.

Most of these races are won by wide closers who are circling up 10 wide on the track. If you're inside battling for the lead, its pretty hard to win.

So, with that said, i see so many riders just throwing leather to get the lead. These jocks are riding like speed can't lose, its hilarious to watch.

TL Pompell was just riding a horse called UK Wildcat in the 6th race from post 10. He was throwing crosses and jumping up and down to battle in a speed duel. The horse was done before the turn and got beat 50 lengths. Is there something i'm missing? Why are guys riding like this, don't they watch the races?

It's been like that for years. It's one of the most consistent and predictable tracks in the country, yet some jocks still don't get it. Any handicapper with good late speed figures does well here imo. Only when it gets very cold, do you need to pay more attention the pure pace horses.

teddy
12-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Take anything at high odds that looks like a threat.

CincyHorseplayer
12-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Speed lasts at 2 oclock.It dies later in the card when the sun goes down.I hit a ton of winners coming from Hoosier wire to wire in sprints.It happens every year.If they can crack 22 seconds they are gone at Turfway.

Even though I am Cincyhorseplayer and Turfway is 15 miles from me,I head down south for the winter.I hate wintertime racing.Track conditions have about 18 designations in the winter.Too unpredictable.I'm all Florida,the south,and maybe a little southwest!!

tbwinner
12-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Is it just me or do the outside posts fare better here? There's too many I can recall where it went 10-11-12 boxed up for the tri, or two high post positions in the exacta.

Stillriledup
12-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Is it just me or do the outside posts fare better here? There's too many I can recall where it went 10-11-12 boxed up for the tri, or two high post positions in the exacta.

Outside posts are amazing at any distance. You seldom see a totally 'inside' order of finish in a big field, some 9 post or out usually gets there in the middle of things.

toussaud
12-28-2010, 05:32 PM
did not realize they race on Tuesdays until I got home today. will try to play next Tuesday. Gotta have my mike B fix

Cardus
12-28-2010, 05:57 PM
I follow it for the calls of the races.

mannyberrios
12-28-2010, 09:12 PM
I follow it for the calls of the races.
I like Mike :1:

Market Mover
12-28-2010, 09:54 PM
did not realize they race on Tuesdays until I got home today. will try to play next Tuesday. Gotta have my mike B fix
Theyre nearing the stretch!!

wisconsin
12-28-2010, 11:39 PM

Only the Holiday meet between Christmas and New Year's.

Kevroc
12-29-2010, 02:09 AM

You could always watch "Night Court" reruns and listen to Judge Harry Stone.

They sound a lot alike, imo. :)