PDA

View Full Version : My God!

Tom
09-11-2001, 10:28 AM
Let's all say a prayer in our own way for the poor people that died in sensless acts of terrorism this morrning and that it will end here.
And whatever we think of Bush, he is the man right now and I bet he could sure sure use a prayer or two also.
Good luck to us all, and I hope none our posters have lost family or friends.

Tom

smf
09-11-2001, 11:27 AM
Unreal stuff. This is terrible.

Please, all NY posters (PA, Andicap, Observer, Harpowitz, et al) please check in here to let us know you're ok. I just heard on tv that as many as 25,000 were in the towers at the time. Ten thousand workers in each tower and ~5000 visitors.

No over-reaction here, but this is really war.

andicap
09-11-2001, 01:44 PM
I'm OK...I don't work in the financial district. Got off the train and saw a bunch of people watching a TV set through a window at a bank. Was told what happened (2 attacks on WTC) turned around and saw the smoke from the WTC behind me (I was way uptown).

People here are just stunned. No traffic on the street except buses...emergency vehicles. Subways not running...Not sure when or how I'll get home tonight as our newspaper is covering the media coverage of this tragedy. precioius little info available so far....
Our lives will not be the same going forward...

harpowitz
09-11-2001, 02:21 PM
I watched the TV reports of the horror all morning and still cannot accept the momentous events and the extent of the destruction and loss of innocent life that occured. My son works in the area and fortunately he does not leave home until after midday. He is a personal trainer and many of his clients worked in the World Trade Center and he feels a personal sense of loss. I spent a great deal of time in the Trade Center and caught the train to New Jersey which ran under the Trade Center. I worked closely with the Secret Service people who had their offices there and can only speculate on the fate of those fine young people. We had many a lunch together and strolled through the shopping concourses in the buildings and the outside plazas which were always packed with tourists, people eating lunch, or just hanging out. That this is now gone and many of those people dead. It is a tragedy of epic proportions and very difficult to deal with.

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2001, 02:58 PM
I really can't say anything at this time. No words can do justice to what just happened. I still don't know what happened to one of my best friends who works in the towers, and my father's brother (my uncle), who also worked in the towers.....

I pray they survived, but watching it on TV as the towers came down.......

==PA

so.cal.fan
09-11-2001, 06:26 PM
So sad to read your comments, PA.
We are all thinking about you. Hang in there.

PaceAdvantage
09-12-2001, 12:50 AM
so.cal.fan and others,

thanks for the kind words of support....thankfully, it looks like all my friends and family who worked in and around the area are ok....I still find it so hard to think about what happened...perhaps living in NY most of my life makes the impact greater then if you live somewhere else....but I am still pretty much without words to describe what I feel....

I just pray the worst is over for now....

==PA

Richard
09-12-2001, 06:19 AM
First,let's do say a prayer for those who had their lives snuffed out so suddenly and wrongfully yesterday.Secondly,let's render aid and assistance to those immediately caught up in this tragedy.And last,let's find out whose responsible and take of business.

smf
09-12-2001, 10:55 AM
Anyone know if she works or lives in that area? Haven't seen her around the board for awhile but hopefully she can check in to let us know everything's ok.

All, if you can give blood or monetary donations (1-800-435-7667), please do.

It's great to see we still have a fighting spirit in this country. Too bad something like this had to test the resolve, but the forces behind the attacks w/ get their just due.

ceejay
09-12-2001, 11:11 AM
It looks like the DRF people, just 4 blocks from the WTC, are all safe.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=5813

Observer
09-12-2001, 11:35 AM
Yes, I am okay. Still trying to figure out just exactly what I'm feeling. No doubt I feel incredible sorrow for those who had their lives taken so suddenly and senselessly from them. And I feel great pains for those who have been left behind by those who have passed, and for those who are still left wondering and hoping for the miracle that maybe, just maybe their loved one will be pulled from the rubble.

I've grown up on Long Island my whole life .. never moved til we purchased a house nearly two years ago. And now our wedding is quickly approaching .. just weeks away. I have this great sense of guilt with my thoughts of what still needs to get done to finalize all the plans, knowing I need to pick up the phone and make calls to the businesses we have hired. But at the same time, it just doesn't feel proper.

I've been fortunate enough through my life to see the beautiful New York City skyline so many times, under so many conditions .. clear blue skies, fog, rain, full moon, snow. It never ceased to take my breath away. But yesterday, when I looked out from the roof of my place of work, and saw the thick clouds of smoke ... that left me speechless in a way none of us should be left.

My thoughts and sympathies go out to anyone who has anyone who has been killed or lost in this event. And I am also thinking of those who have survived .. it will be a trying time for them. Pride must be felt for all those who have come together in their efforts to search and recover .. they too, if they remain safe, will find this a tremendous struggle. While we are all no doubt feeling sickened by what has happened, we should feel a small glimmer of hope how everyone is banding together in so many ways to help.

I know I'm rambling ... but like so many others, I know I am a mixed bag of emotions.

Tom
09-12-2001, 01:12 PM
Don't feel guilty-go ahead with your wedding plans and your new life. No one, especially not some damn spineless cowards can stop our spirit and when you say "I DO", know that we all wish you well and we all stand united with you. We cannot be stopped and we are all a lot closer today than ever before.

Tom

Dave Schwartz
09-12-2001, 04:42 PM
Observer and others,

Glad you are all well. As big as New York is, I still cannot imagine that as the days go on you will not find someone that you know being directly touched by this calamity. Remember "Six Degrees of Separation?"

As Tom said, it is important that we do not let terrorism change our way of life (more than the obvious).

Observer, Congratulations on your wedding. Where will you be honeymooning? Will it include a trip to the track? <G>

Warm Regards to All,
Dave Schwartz

Observer
09-12-2001, 10:47 PM
Thank you for the support. All systems are go, and the excitement has been working its way back, between the feelings of sorrow and of sadness that are still unavoidable.

And no, Mr. Schwartz, I think we'll skip on going to the track for this one. But we do usually spend our "first date" anniversaries in the Equestris Restaurant at Aqueduct. :) And how appropriate, since Aqueduct was where we spent what was technically our "first date." If you were wondering, we did not consider having the wedding there .. although I'm sure at some point we joked about it. ;)

HorseLady
09-13-2001, 12:16 AM
I am out on Long Island too, so I am okay. My husband works in midtown Manhattan and got home finally at around 7:30 last night. He had left his office at 10:30am, had to walk over the 59th st bridge. Had a family member who works just 2 blocks away, he is quite shaken by this incident.

I have a girlfriend who's husband is still unaccounted for and I see now it's after midnight and now Sept 13th. She had two children the same ages as mine (5 and 2).

PA - I've seen JD Tues and Wednesday and was glad to hear that you and K were alright. I didn't realize where you worked - so glad you were out of danger out there. The end of the month is fast approaching and I'm thinking quite happy thoughts for you. My mind is a bit mushy, and I couldn't remember how to e-mail you personally, but wanted to get that message to you.

I don't care who did this, I just want them and their co-horts dead. That's my thought at this moment. Who knows if they are done, who else will get hurt, etc.

My 5yo knows what has happened, we have not been able to turn the TV off of the news, we are captivated. Just a week or two ago he went to the city to go to work with my husband. Today he told us that he doesn't want to go to the city again because bad planes fly there. We also have heard him playing his imaginary games talking with his action figures about plane crashes. Luckily with a child his age it will pass quickly. This is something he will learn about as history when he's in middle/high school, maybe even elementary. I am saving the newspaper today to show him.

This is our generation's Pearl Harbor, just with many more victims, including civilians.

Anyone looking to contact people in the area, please feel free to e-mail me at Lisa@PamperedMommy.com I would love to help you in anyway I can. I've been visiting many websites that I could share with you if you need it.

{{{HUGS to all affected}}}

HorseLady
09-13-2001, 12:25 AM
I am out on Long Island too, so I am okay. My husband works in midtown Manhattan and got home finally at around 7:30 last night. He had left his office at 10:30am, had to walk over the 59th st bridge. Had a family member who works just 2 blocks away, he is quite shaken by this incident.

I have a girlfriend who's husband is still unaccounted for and I see now it's after midnight and now Sept 13th. She had two children the same ages as mine (5 and 2).

PA - I've seen JD Tues and Wednesday and was glad to hear that you and K were alright. I didn't realize where you worked - so glad you were out of danger out there. The end of the month is fast approaching and I'm thinking quite happy thoughts for you. My mind is a bit mushy, and I couldn't remember how to e-mail you personally, but wanted to get that message to you.

I don't care who did this, I just want them and their co-horts dead. That's my thought at this moment. Who knows if they are done, who else will get hurt, etc.

My 5yo knows what has happened, we have not been able to turn the TV off of the news, we are captivated. Just a week or two ago he went to the city to go to work with my husband. Today he told us that he doesn't want to go to the city again because bad planes fly there. We also have heard him playing his imaginary games talking with his action figures about plane crashes. Luckily with a child his age it will pass quickly. This is something he will learn about as history when he's in middle/high school, maybe even elementary. I am saving the newspaper today to show him.

This is our generation's Pearl Harbor, just with many more victims, including civilians.

Anyone looking to contact people in the area, please feel free to e-mail me at Lisa@PamperedMommy.com I would love to help you in anyway I can. I've been visiting many websites that I could share with you if you need it.

{{{HUGS to all affected}}}