PDA

View Full Version : History of NYCOTB

IRISHLADSTABLE
12-10-2010, 06:01 PM
While the concept of an off-track betting system was approved by New York City voters in a 1963 referendum by a three-to-one margin, the official history of the New York City Off-Track Betting Corporation began on April 22, 1970. That is the date that Governor Nelson Rockefeller signed into law two pieces of legislation which established the structure of off-track wagering. NYCOTB was designated to operate as a public-benefit corporation, a relatively new form of governmental entity run along the lines of a private enterprise whose profits go to the taxpayers in the form of public revenue. The mission given us was three-fold: to raise needed revenue for the City and State, to combat organized crime's hold on gambling on horse races by providing a legal alternative and to be “compatible with the well-being of the New York State's racing industry.

Less than one year later, on April 8, 1971, Howard Samuels, our first President and Chairman of the Board, saw NYCOTB open its doors and become the first legal off-track pari-mutuel wagering operation in the country. The Corporation opened with two Branch Offices and a Telephone Betting Center and had an opening day handle of $66,091.

The Branch Office network has evolved from a handful of manually supported branches with limited capabilities to fifty-seven full-service branch offices plus Restaurants and Teletheaters throughout the five boroughs, accepting approximately 1.6 million sales transactions, on average, per day. To date, NYCOTB experienced its highest handle in Fiscal Year 2006, with approximately $1.071 billion in bets.

Immediately upon its opening, NYCOTB saw the need to provide additional services to its customers and put much effort into accomplishing it. By August 1971, all Branches were on line with an all-betting and all-cashing computer system; our betting system is periodically updated with state-of-the-art technology. By the close of Fiscal Year 1979, live calls from NYRA tracks were heard in a limited number of Branches. A major piece of legislation, which was originally passed in 1981 and expanded a number of times since, allowed for us to display the telecasts of live racing (simulcasting) in our locations. In 1993, the Corporation began installing self-service betting terminals and also began upgrading its customer amenities with the installation of rest rooms and seating.

Our first Teletheater, the Inside Track in Manhattan, opened in 1986. For an admission fee, the bettor would receive track odds. In 1997 we opened the first Restaurant location at Mary McGuires (now known as Blackstone Restaurant & Pub) in Queens. Now, with a total of three Teletheaters and eight Restaurants, we offer the opportunity to enjoy a dining experience like no other. You can wager, watch the races and enjoy a wonderful meal in a great atmosphere all at the same time.
While our Telephone Betting Center had been in operation since the Corporation's inaugural day (opening with approximately 3,000 accounts), the number of accounts skyrocketed when in-home simulcasting began in March 1995 on the City’s public access channels 71 and 73 of the Time Warner cable system. By 1997, our customers could also utilize a touch-tone activated Automated Telephone Account Betting (ATAB) system to place bets. A new chapter in the Corporation's history was opened on August 24, 2007 when internet wagering was launched on the ibetOTB.com web site. Our 17,000-18,000 active Advance Deposit Wagering Account holders now have the convenience and ease of wagering by phone or on-line.

As a result of the increased interest in in-home wagering, broadcasting of the first NYCOTB produced television show began in 1997. In February 2000, the NYCOTB Racing Network was born, with a number of different shows airing throughout the year. The Network provides viewers with a front row seat to the races and informational programming to increase their knowledge of the sport.

For financial reasons, New York State assumed control of NYCOTB on June 17th, 2008, and OTB became a State (as opposed to a City) public benefit corporation. As part of an agreement between the City and the State, the City will continue to receive that portion of the surcharge on wagers that is related to bets placed on races at tracks within the City limits. In addition, in return for other payments from NYCOTB, the City agreed to allow NYCOTB to continue broadcasting races over the City's public access channels 71 and 73 on the Time Warner cable system for at least the next three years.

The history of the New York City Off-Track Betting Corporation is also part of the history of New York City and New York State. We employ approximately 1,500 people throughout our Branch system, support services and corporate headquarters. We maintain a fair and equal opportunity hiring practice and are active members of the communities in which our locations are situated. Through the years, we have supported a number of worthy charitable organizations, including Toys for Tots, food drives, Bring Your Daughter To Work Day, an annual blood drive, the March of Dimes and the Twin Tower Fund .

We have had huge growth in our more than thirty-five year history and we will continue to strive to make improvements to the product we deliver, to provide up-to-the-minute technology and to integrate additional amenities into our locations. Why will we do all this? Because we want, in the best way possible, to continue to Bring The Race To You!

Barry Irwin
12-10-2010, 08:22 PM
It's "history" right now!

Stillriledup
12-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Bring back Hazel Dukes, she'll make everything whole again! :lol:

garyoz
12-10-2010, 09:03 PM
I made a bet at an OTB in my very first visit to NYC in 1972 (I wagered at the Grand Central OTB). I frequented the OTB on Second Ave between 69th and 70th (East side of Second) for a decade (I lived nearby). Those of you who take such glee in the demise of NYCOTB have never lived in the Big Apple and are clueless.

Stillriledup
12-10-2010, 09:24 PM
I made a bet at an OTB in my very first visit to NYC in 1972 (I wagered at the Grand Central OTB). I frequented the OTB on Second Ave between 69th and 70th (East side of Second) for a decade (I lived nearby). Those of you who take such glee in the demise of NYCOTB have never lived in the Big Apple and are clueless.

I think if OTB didnt tack on a surcharge, people wouldnt be as happy to see them fail. Clueless people are people who wager at OTB and pay the 'extra vig' for absolutely no reason.

NTamm1215
12-10-2010, 09:38 PM
There's simply nothing good about NYCOTB being gone. The people who are saying that have absolutely no concept of racing on a nationwide scale. NYCOTB was not only the largest single off-track wagering outlet for NYRA but for many other racetracks in the country.

Would you be happy if Vegas stopped taking bets on racing?

Stillriledup
12-10-2010, 09:39 PM
There's simply nothing good about NYCOTB being gone. The people who are saying that have absolutely no concept of racing on a nationwide scale. NYCOTB was not only the largest single off-track wagering outlet for NYRA but for many other racetracks in the country.

Would you be happy if Vegas stopped taking bets on racing?

Vegas takes bets and pays track prices. Its not the same thing.

Dahoss9698
12-10-2010, 09:50 PM

How is it possible for someone to be so clueless on nearly every issue that is racing involved?

garyoz
12-10-2010, 09:58 PM
How is it possible for someone to be so clueless on nearly every issue that is racing involved?

I agree.

NTamm1215
12-10-2010, 10:02 PM

Congratulations for completely missing the point. You're as sharp as a cue ball.

Zman179
12-10-2010, 10:59 PM
I think if OTB didnt tack on a surcharge, people wouldnt be as happy to see them fail. Clueless people are people who wager at OTB and pay the 'extra vig' for absolutely no reason.

But the pools have shrunk, so that's bad for a bettor regardless of where you are. There were many ways around the surcharge (even at the branch), it was up to the OTB bettor to take advantage of those options.

Barry Irwin
12-10-2010, 11:07 PM
If somebody is clever enough to avoid the 5 percent surcharge, then they should be able to figure out where else to place their wagers. The concept of a betting parlor in New York City is fine, but the manner in which the enterprise was operated was a testmonial to political patronage and graft, as well as a tomb on how not to run a business.

OTM Al
12-11-2010, 07:28 AM
If somebody is clever enough to avoid the 5 percent surcharge, then they should be able to figure out where else to place their wagers. The concept of a betting parlor in New York City is fine, but the manner in which the enterprise was operated was a testmonial to political patronage and graft, as well as a tomb on how not to run a business.

The SOP for most would be to go to the parlor to fund one's account, make all bets on the account by phone, withdraw funds at end of the day. No surcharge and easy access to your money.

Spiderman
12-11-2010, 08:37 AM
The SOP for most would be to go to the parlor to fund one's account, make all bets on the account by phone, withdraw funds at end of the day. No surcharge and easy access to your money.

About three months ago, I requested a withdrawal at the W 72nd Street office. From the time I handed my account card, filled-in withdrawal request form and ID, it took only 15 minutes! I told them that it was one of the reasons why they were going bankrupt.

Zman179
12-11-2010, 10:27 AM
About three months ago, I requested a withdrawal at the W 72nd Street office. From the time I handed my account card, filled-in withdrawal request form and ID, it took only 15 minutes!

I stopped withdrawing money like that years ago. I got a self-service NYCOTB telephone account card, inserted it into the machine, entered my PIN, then withdrew whatever I wanted. Total time spent: 15 seconds.

OTM Al
12-11-2010, 11:04 AM
About three months ago, I requested a withdrawal at the W 72nd Street office. From the time I handed my account card, filled-in withdrawal request form and ID, it took only 15 minutes! I told them that it was one of the reasons why they were going bankrupt.

Fifteen minutes for you to have it in your hand. My heart bleeds. How long would it take you to have cash in hand after a withdraw from any other ADW? Can't see it going any faster than that. How often did you usually have to wait? One lucky day I had to wait a while to get my payoff because they didn't have enough cash on hand. Wish I could remember how good that felt....

Spiderman
12-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Fifteen minutes for you to have it in your hand. My heart bleeds. How long would it take you to have cash in hand after a withdraw from any other ADW? Can't see it going any faster than that. How often did you usually have to wait? One lucky day I had to wait a while to get my payoff because they didn't have enough cash on hand. Wish I could remember how good that felt....

Less than a minute at Meaddowlands which includes 20 $100 bills. The OTB affair was for $40. I left .40 cents in account.