PDA

View Full Version : West Virginia doesn't have state mandated pre-race exams. Neither does Oklahoma.

andymays
12-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Ladies in Racing -- The Sport of Queens!: RACE FAIL: West Virginia Racing Officials

http://ladiesinracing.blogspot.com/2010/12/epic-fail-west-virginia-racing.html

Excerpt:

When the racing secretary sees the PPs on a particular horse and something like this pops up, it's his job to investigate! Period! And if he then thinks that a physical exam and approval from at least one veterinarian (not the trainer's) and perhaps two, then it should be done without haste. Plenty of sound horses just don't perform on any given day with no permanent damage, but why should we purposely allow horses with a shady history to enter a race? Is it too much to ask that the people appointed to make racing decisions actually DO make a decision based on gut feeling or inappropriate history? What harm can that actually do? No harm, no foul. We're protecting the HORSES and the PUBLIC as well.

Excerpt:

Big. Red. Flashing. Light . Does anybody else see this?

proximity
12-10-2010, 03:28 PM
state mandated or not it mostly depends on the individual track and vet. charles town (wv) probably has more gate scratches than any track in the country.

Barry Irwin
12-10-2010, 03:34 PM
This is a perfect example of why someday in the not too distant future there will be a racing league, comprised of non-profit and a few for-profit tracks, and the rest of the tracks like this place.

Someday soon all of the Graded races will be contested only at the racing league tracks, because these places will have strict rules in place for situations such as this one and for the use of medication (as in THERE WON'T BE ANY!).

Robert Goren
12-10-2010, 05:22 PM
This is a perfect example of why someday in the not too distant future there will be a racing league, comprised of non-profit and a few for-profit tracks, and the rest of the tracks like this place.

Someday soon all of the Graded races will be contested only at the racing league tracks, because these places will have strict rules in place for situations such as this one and for the use of medication (as in THERE WON'T BE ANY!).Don't hold your breath.

rrpic6
12-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Who would do the pre-race exams at Mountaineer? Maybe one of the slot hosts? Mountaineer is not going to hire anybody to do silly stuff like examine horses.

RR

Barry Irwin
12-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Tracks like Mountaineer will be like the old leaky roof circuit in a few years, a lawless, backwater track like the original Waterford Park. There will be a racing league of elite tracks at which the best horses will run for owners and trainers that are approved for stall space. Every Tom, Dick and Harry will NOT be granted stall space. So they can use their drugs against their peers and leave the real racing to people that care about the sport.

cj
12-10-2010, 08:30 PM
They'll never find enough trainers.

Peter Berry
12-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Tracks like Mountaineer will be like the old leaky roof circuit in a few years, a lawless, backwater track like the original Waterford Park.

Define "few." You're making me nervous.

Relwob Owner
12-11-2010, 12:01 AM

Someday soon all of the Graded races will be contested only at the racing league tracks, because these places will have strict rules in place for situations such as this one and for the use of medication (as in THERE WON'T BE ANY!).

You seem to have pretty bold predictions for the future of racing......any insight regarding how these predictions will become reality?

BombsAway Bob
12-11-2010, 12:03 AM

i could just see Bob Newhart (or Jon Cryer for the kids) saying,
"Define FEW..." :lol:

johnhannibalsmith
12-11-2010, 12:28 AM

It'll be a few years after the stellar-non-leaky-roof-circuit figures out what to do with Grade I horses that the rider won't let run after millions are bet in front of the second largest television audience of the year on the Championship Day with the sharpest cats in the pound running the show...

Relwob Owner
12-11-2010, 08:52 PM
It'll be a few years after the stellar-non-leaky-roof-circuit figures out what to do with Grade I horses that the rider won't let run after millions are bet in front of the second largest television audience of the year on the Championship Day with the sharpest cats in the pound running the show...

Wow....you read my mind...... :ThmbUp: