PDA

View Full Version : Picking Oden over Durant in the draft.

Zippy Chippy
12-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Do you this will ever be equivalent to Sam Bowie > Michael Jordan? Portland would be championship contenders already.

Relwob Owner
12-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Do you this will ever be equivalent to Sam Bowie > Michael Jordan? Portland would be championship contenders already.

Not that much of an equivalent but definitely something they regret....I think Oden was hurt while he was Ohio State(wrist?) and seemed to me to be the classic "he has more upside" mistake when you had a much more polished guy like Durant staring them right in the face........

Not the only questionable move Portland has made lately....they admitted that they knew about Brandon Roy's knee issues when they signed his huge contract extension....that is biting them in the ass as he barely has any tissue left in his knee, could get shut down at any point this year and is being used more as a decoy than anything these days.

Fortunately, they did get Wesley Matthews as a free agent who has been and will continue to be a really good, versatile player IMO

cj
12-10-2010, 09:43 AM
NBA always goes for big. It usually doesn't work, I can't explain it. Not many were calling for Durant to be the #1 pick at the time either. I'm certainly glad it played out the way it did though.

Relwob Owner
12-10-2010, 10:52 AM
NBA always goes for big. It usually doesn't work, I can't explain it. Not many were calling for Durant to be the #1 pick at the time either. I'm certainly glad it played out the way it did though.

Yep, just ask Kwame Brown, Darko Milic(better this year but still has been a bust) and other big man failures....another good whiff other than blindly going for big is the old "he is versatile, has a lot of upside and can play 3 or 4 positions"....that is how a guy like Demar Derozan was picked 9th......give me a guy who can play one position really well and I would go with him

JustRalph
12-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Ohio State has another good one coming along........not so big though. Only 6'9........and only a Freshman. They better get it done this year or next....This kid goes to the NBA soon..........

http://www.examiner.com/college-basketball-in-national/ohio-state-s-jared-sullinger-sets-school-s-freshman-scoring-record

I thought they were crazy for not going with Durant, but he was so thin, I didn't think he could get it done in the NBA. tells you what I know

cj
12-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Ohio State...

I still think Mullens will be pretty good in another year or two.

JustRalph
12-10-2010, 07:02 PM
I still think Mullens will be pretty good in another year or two.

I had to look, I didn't know he was in Oklahoma?

That kid scored 62 points in a high school game and I think he only played 3/4's of the game? I remember watching news stories about it.

I also remember that he signed a letter of intent at Ohio State in the 9th grade ? I forgot all about him.......

Zippy Chippy
12-10-2010, 08:08 PM
It couldn't have helped Oden's cause that he was a 39 year old rookie :lol:

Man ive never seen an older looking 20 year old in my life!

banacek
12-10-2010, 09:13 PM
It couldn't have helped Oden's cause that he was a 39 year old rookie :lol:

Man ive never seen an older looking 20 year old in my life!

What was the joke..something like..he's 20 years old, looks 40, and has the knees of a 60 year old.