PDA

View Full Version : California Screamin'--Issues Get Airing Out........ Possible Boycott?

andymays
12-09-2010, 03:51 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/60283/california-screamin--issues-get-airing-out

Excerpt:

“It’s an increase in process, and you hate to do that,” Harper said. “I don’t think any one of us wanted to do it. I think the vast majority of hard-core (horseplayers) understand it; they know the game like the rest of us.”

Harper did apologize, however. “We hated to have to make that decision.”
Harper and Israel said that even with the takeout increase California is lower than many jurisdictions, and that they don’t expect much pushback from players.

“I think we’re within the margin of error,” Israel said. “You’re not going to get a better shake in many other places.”

No bettors were on the panel, though they have expressed displeasure with the takeout hike through various online outlets. Some have called for a wagering boycott of the California racing product.

Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/60283/california-screamin--issues-get-airing-out#ixzz17eLG20Gy

andymays
12-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Someone thinks the boycott is coming out sometime soon.

New Boycott Video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlabBAdkLmY

-------------------------------------

CHRB-HANA Member Meeting

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7386975/

Stillriledup
12-09-2010, 03:54 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/60283/california-screamin--issues-get-airing-out

Excerpt:

“It’s an increase in process, and you hate to do that,” Harper said. “I don’t think any one of us wanted to do it. I think the vast majority of hard-core (horseplayers) understand it; they know the game like the rest of us.”

Harper did apologize, however. “We hated to have to make that decision.”
Harper and Israel said that even with the takeout increase California is lower than many jurisdictions, and that they don’t expect much pushback from players.

“I think we’re within the margin of error,” Israel said. “You’re not going to get a better shake in many other places.”

No bettors were on the panel, though they have expressed displeasure with the takeout hike through various online outlets. Some have called for a wagering boycott of the California racing product.

Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/60283/california-screamin--issues-get-airing-out#ixzz17eLG20Gy

I think they're right, nobody is going to care, it will be betting business as usual for players come Dec 26.

andymays
12-09-2010, 03:56 PM
I think they're right, nobody is going to care, it will be betting business as usual for players come Dec 26.

There will be a minimal effect for the first month of the meet because of the new surface at Santa Anita and decent field size. After that it's anyones guess. A lot depends on field size.

The_Knight_Sky
12-09-2010, 04:10 PM
I think they're right, nobody is going to care,
it will be betting business as usual for players come Dec 26.

The best time to call it during sometime in January and make a statement. The euphoria of the opening weeks will have settled by then.

Handle erosion is all but a certainty over the coming months. The field sizes will be the key. If the new stock coming in for the winter meet needs extended rests during the second half of the meet, Rick Hammerle's office will be working extra hard to make the cards go.

Just because a handful of out-of-staters are dipping into the waters of the Pacific does not mean that the rest of the local horses can sustain themselves into April. That is a problem that remains unaddressed even if they raised the win-place-show takeouts to 30%.

These people maybe decent businessmen away of the racetrack, but they're just so stubborn and mathematically ignorant about wagering that they'll continue on with the increased rates. It took Frank Stronach to get dirt back at Santa Anita. It may take his efforts again to get the rates lowered - some 2 to 4 years from now.

Saratoga_Mike
12-09-2010, 04:16 PM
I must say the comments worrying about food and beverage revenue are breathtaking, given what's happened to the core business (i.e., handle) over the past 20 yrs.

DeanT
12-09-2010, 04:24 PM
I must say the comments worrying about food and beverage revenue are breathtaking, given what's happened to the core business (i.e., handle) over the past 20 yrs.

Who was talking about food and beverage? Was it the dude who wants to sell Raphael Bejarano jerseys for revenue for purses?

Mike: Get one thing through your head - There are 6 billion people in the world. Apparently for 5.9625 billion of them, horse racing is a gambling game. The other 37.5 million live in California.

:)

The_Knight_Sky
12-09-2010, 04:26 PM

“It’s an increase in process, and you hate to do that,” Harper said.
“I don’t think any one of us wanted to do it. I think the vast majority
of hard-core (horseplayers) understand it; they know the game like the rest of us.”

I don't think they do.
Who were the economists they consulted before this steep price increase?

The sad thing is that California racing will continue to suffer long after
these people who made this terrible decision have departed from their thrones.

Apologies for their mistakes will not be forthcoming.
Simply take a look at Richard Shapiro as a fair example.

cj
12-09-2010, 04:28 PM
What dopes these guys are.

What they are really saying is this:

We know business sucks, and raising takeout is not the answer. But, we don't care about the future. We are going to suck out every last dollar we can and stay afloat as long as possible so we can keep our jobs until it is finally over.

andymays
12-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Symposium: Hey California, think outside the box! Paulick Report

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/symposium-hey-california-think-outside-the-box/

Everyone be sure to comment so I can send Mr. Israel and the CHRB a nice email. ;)

Saratoga_Mike
12-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Symposium: Hey California, think outside the box! Paulick Report

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/symposium-hey-california-think-outside-the-box/

Everyone be sure to comment so I can send Mr. Israel and the CHRB a nice email. ;)

You need to get to the track and buy an extra hot dog!

andymays
12-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Marketing live racing key to California s survival - Thoroughbred Times
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2010/12/09/marketing-live-racing-key-to-californias-survival.aspx

Excerpt:

“The average age of a racetrack customer is deceased, and the average age of our satellite customer is decomposed,” California Horse Racing Board member David Israel. “The demographic is way too old. We need to attract younger customers to racetrack experience.”

jelly
12-09-2010, 06:46 PM
What dopes these guys are.

What they are really saying is this:

We know business sucks, and raising takeout is not the answer. But, we don't care about the future. We are going to suck out every last dollar we can and stay afloat as long as possible so we can keep our jobs until it is finally over.

You nailed It.

Stillriledup
12-09-2010, 07:43 PM
They're so clueless that they're not even smart enough to realize they need to buy a clue. And, they're so arrogant that if you told them to their faces that they ARE Clueless, they would laugh and not realize that you're right.

These guys have been saving me money on Comedy CD's from my local Bookstore, i just have to tune into the goings-on in California racing for my comedic needs.....its free!

Comedy Central is jealous of these guys for sure, they're not half as funny.

andymays
12-09-2010, 07:45 PM
They're so clueless that they're not even smart enough to realize they need to buy a clue. And, they're so arrogant that if you told them to their faces that they ARE Clueless, they would laugh and not realize that you're right.

These guys have been saving me money on Comedy CD's from my local Bookstore, i just have to tune into the goings-on in California racing for my comedic needs.....its free!

Comedy Central is jealous of these guys for sure, they're not half as funny.

What do you think about the comments made by David Israel in post #12?

Seniors are some of Horse Racings best customers.

Wow.

Stillriledup
12-09-2010, 07:58 PM

Seniors are some of Horse Racings best customers.

Wow.

If i read one more word from Israel, my head is going to explode.

Saratoga_Mike
12-09-2010, 08:03 PM

Seniors are some of Horse Racings best customers.Wow.

Right, but over time you need to bring younger blood into the business. I think that's what he was trying to say. Granted he could have said it in a more tactful manner - no need to insult your existing customer base.

andymays
12-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Right, but over time you need to bring younger blood into the business. I think that's what he was trying to say. Granted he could have said it in a more tactful manner - no need to insult your existing customer base.

Right, except this guy has a history of saying stupid things and he's the Vice Chairman of the California Horse Racing Board. The CHRB is publicly funded. I'm not a senior citizen Horseplayer but I would imagine that those who are would be pretty offended by the slip up. He should probably apologize.

Saratoga_Mike
12-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Right, except this guy has a history of saying stupid things and he's the Vice Chairman of the California Horse Racing Board. The CHRB is publicly funded. I'm not a senior citizen Horseplayer but I would imagine that those who are would be pretty offended by the slip up. He should probably apologize.

He doesn't seem like the brightest lightbulb, but I don't know much about him.

andymays
12-09-2010, 08:10 PM
He doesn't seem like the brightest lightbulb, but I don't know much about him.

Someone made a video about him. He believes Horse Racing is Entertainment not Gambling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyEy10S6MFM

cj
12-09-2010, 09:14 PM
“The average age of a racetrack customer is deceased, and the average age of our satellite customer is decomposed,” California Horse Racing Board member David Israel. “The demographic is way too old. We need to attract younger customers to racetrack experience.”

More stupidity. The people you need to attract are those with disposable income. I don't know many young people that can seriously afford to gamble on horse racing with a 20% vig.

Charlie D
12-09-2010, 09:42 PM
These people remind me of the Racing for Change people in UK.

OMG. racing is doomed on both sides of the pond.

Stillriledup
12-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Well, we will know one month from today if Israel and his cronies are smart or not. Most of this is just conversation, either people are going to bet Santa Anita or they're going to avoid them like the plague. Its up to America's horseplayers if they want to make a guy like Israel look smart (i know, that's going to be a monumental chore) or not.

Its up to you America.

Charlie D
12-09-2010, 10:04 PM
There have been numerous excellent suggestions made on how to improve the sport via online outlets, but these seem to have been ignored by those that run it.

No bettors were on the panel

"Ignore customers insight at your peril" is a term marketing strategists and business advisors use i believe.

Stillriledup
12-09-2010, 10:12 PM
There have been numerous excellent suggestions made on how to improve the sport via online outlets, but these seem to have been ignored by those that run it.

"Ignore customers insight at your peril" is a term marketing strategists and business advisors use i believe.

They had a panel of horseplayers a few years ago come up with a report, lots of great advice and recommendations. I think Barry Meadow was on this panel along with a few other serious bettors. I also think that none of the suggestions were ever implemented. I think that 'players panel' was just a big waste of the panelists time and effort. I think the 'higher ups' in racing were like "thanks for the suggestions' and then they tossed the report in the trash can.

Charlie D
12-09-2010, 10:18 PM
They had a panel of horseplayers a few years ago come up with a report, lots of great advice and recommendations. I think Barry Meadow was on this panel along with a few other serious bettors. I also think that none of the suggestions were ever implemented. I think that 'players panel' was just a big waste of the panelists time and effort. I think the 'higher ups' in racing were like "thanks for the suggestions' and then they tossed the report in the trash can.

See sig. :D

BlueShoe
12-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Fast forward a couple of months to a rainy Thursday in February and check the attendance and handle for the meeting up to that point. We will then be able to say, "You should have listened to us, we were right."

Charli125
12-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Fast forward a couple of months to a rainy Thursday in February and check the attendance and handle for the meeting up to that point. We will then be able to say, "You should have listened to us, we were right."

I'm tired of being right. Every time we're right and they go the opposite direction, the game dies a bit more. I wonder how many times this has to happen before they start listening to us.

InsideThePylons-MW
12-10-2010, 02:26 PM
I wonder how many times this has to happen before they start listening to us.

The current "they" will never listen.

A new "they" might listen, but there is no new "they" even close to having a say in anything.

trying2win
12-10-2010, 09:42 PM
As soon as the SANTA ANITA meet starts on Dec. 26/10, I will still be betting the races at this track, but.....I'm taking a stand against those proposed takeout increases at this meet, by making my bets at an offshore racebook. Do you understand that, you greedy, self-serving, California racetrack executives and horsemen? You'll get nothing, zero, nada, el zippo from those bets of mine. Those groups deserve to get punished financially for this foolish move on their part.

Are there any other PACE ADVANTAGE members that will also take a stand against those takeout increases, and declare their commitment to this cause as well?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

--Winston Churchill

chico9166
12-10-2010, 11:09 PM
As soon as the SANTA ANITA meet starts on Dec. 26/10, I will still be betting the races at this track, but.....I'm taking a stand against those proposed takeout increases at this meet, by making my bets at an offshore racebook. Do you understand that, you greedy, self-serving, California racetrack executives and horsemen? You'll get nothing, zero, nada, el zippo from those bets of mine. Those groups deserve to get punished financially for this foolish move on their part.

Are there any other PACE ADVANTAGE members that will also take a stand against those takeout increases, and declare their commitment to this cause as well?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

--Winston Churchill
I will not bet any California tracks.I've already quit Hollywood, which is a joke.

Zman179
12-10-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm not betting on Southern California tracks simply because their product is downright horrible, and no purse increase is going to change it anytime soon. On Friday, seven out of eight races at Hollywood had 8 or fewer runners, yet the early pick 4 at Turfway (running at the same time as Hollywood) had fields of 12, 11, 9 and 12.

I'm not giving my money to an inferior product, especially one which has just become more expensive.

TurfRuler
12-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Harper should have been the guy eaten by the crocodile, as he rides through the jungle waters that California has placed players in; instead of sheding those tears, tears of a clown, tears about not making away like a bandit or a Madoff.

Tom
12-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Nice 4 horse race at Hollywood just now.
And a new track record!

chico9166
12-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Right on Blue Shoe, this will be the true test. I have no doubt the idiots who are in positions of power in California are in tune with our gripes. And I have no doubt they will be putting there best foot forward initially, with full horse fields, and all the hoopla. In the final analysis though, there greed, mismanagement, and poor product will manifest itself.

I wont be betting SA from beginning to end.