PDA

View Full Version : Validator 3

socantra
09-29-2003, 06:39 PM
At the risk of igniting another firestorm, I would like to get some input from someone on the new Sartin Validator 3 program. At least one user has indicated they are using it.

I'm not trying to sell the program, or trying to shill for it. I have Synthesis and Validator 2, and am satisfied with them. Many others on this board would not be, and as the Doc used to say I have no desire to tear down your totem poles to put up crosses, or vice versa.

I would like to know if there are significant differences in Validator 3, and what they are. Does it work in a smaller footprint? What's changed.

My personal inclination is to go for it, but I would greatly appreciate some consumer input rather than just talking to those trying to sell the program. I would also appreciate it if we can keep this from turning into the usual screaming match that Sartin discussions usually bring on.

Thanks,
Socantra.....

tyler
10-02-2003, 09:38 PM
Hi,
I'm using Val 3 so maybe I can answer. Mainly an improved Val 2 with the following:
- earnings and jockey/trainer stats all on one page
-paceline screen can be printed and has ESP designations
-bottom of paceline screen now shows type of race
-supplemental rankings have been added to total energy screen and validator screen
-the 'hide' procedure is easier
-you can now print multiple screens on one page

I guess there are other features, but that's what comes to mind. Most important for me was the printing change. Val 2 kicked me out of the program on every first attempt. Val 3 works perfectly.

I'm very pleased...but I've been very pleased since learning the Methodology. Started with Val manual entry, went to Validator, Val 2, and now Val 3c. Don't quite understand all of the other Sartin problems.

Hope this helped with your question

tyler

sq764
10-03-2003, 04:12 PM
I have the validator, but have never gotten it to print to my printer..

Anywhere to set that up?

socantra
10-03-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by tyler

Hope this helped with your question

tyler

Sure has. Thanks a bunch.

socantra..........

socantra
10-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by sq764
I have the validator, but have never gotten it to print to my printer..

Anywhere to set that up?

I've used Validator a Synthesis with 4 differnt printers and never had much problem so I'm afraid I can't be of musch help.

I think the Epson/Non-Epson thing is the only printer setting within the program, and that only controls the line/box graphics as far as I know.

Some people have had some luck setting Windows to send Dos output directly to the printer rather than spooling it.

I believe Shane Sartin had a bunch of fixes for specific printers. Don't know if he's working with the current group or not, but you might give them a call and see.

socantra.........

wes
10-03-2003, 10:19 PM
Could be the printer does not use the USB port if the program was written before USB. That was my problem with a couple old handicapping programs that would not print.

wes

socantra
10-04-2003, 01:27 AM
I hadn't even thought of that. I'm pretty sure DOS would have absolutely no support for USB. I imagine the Sartin programs just shoot the print job right to lpt 1.

socantra.....